How would you play this hole?

The_Dude

#TeamNE #Team Green #Hype
Reaction score
Handicap
#bigbutts
Par 4 with elevated tee down to fairway. Water short/right. Elevated green. I play it from 2 different tee's. First plays from 248-260 depending on placement. Second plays 265-273. I played from front tee 257 to middle-right pin. 3w pin high left, decent 25 yard pitch to 8'. 2 putt par. My buddy hit 3 iron just left of water, bladed a wedge over the green and posted a 6. So..how would you play it??
a3054a5c9db33340f230c85bbc6d5426.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
With water short right, I'd need to know more about my 'bail out' options in order to answer your question. Driver/3 wood long left and chip like you say if there's plenty of room over there. Actually, I suppose if I hit it in the water, I'm dropping 2 and chipping 3 with a legitimate chance at getting up and down for par, so i'd probably go for it most of the time.

With water short right, I'd need to know more about my 'bail out' options in order to answer your question. Driver/3 wood long left and chip like you say if there's plenty of room over there. Actually, I suppose if I hit it in the water, I'm dropping 2 and chipping 3 with a legitimate chance at getting up and down for par, so i'd probably go for it most of the time.
Most people bail short/left. There's also a little room long. Right is death...ob all the way to the green.

From the closer tee I'd probably take driver at the left side of the green. From back more I may just bump it down to the corner on the left side (whatever yardage that is) and wedge it in from there.

180-200 would put you near end of fairway left from front tee's 220 from second set.

I'd play a 6-8 iron off the tee depending on which tees and a LW to the flag. If it was match play and I was down, I'd hit my 4 wood or 2Deep on the green, depending on wind.

Oh, now that I see the picture (wasn't there when I first responded), I don't know. Probably bunt with a mid iron down to 100 and throw a wedge in there tight. That hole looks familiar. What course, Dude? (I'm from MA also)

I'm pretty conservative, especially when OB or water comes to play. I'd hit a 5 iron, get to me within 100 and snipe at it with a wedge.

Oh, now that I see the picture (wasn't there when I first responded), I don't know. Probably bunt with a mid iron down to 100 and throw a wedge in there tight. That hole looks familiar. What course, Dude? (I'm from MA also)
Crosswinds in Plymouth..7th hole on Zaharias.

I think I could play this hole 20 different ways--I guess that makes this a perfect hole for one of these threads. I guess I'm taking dead aim at the center of the water and ripping one...and taking whatever club will land short of the trees when I yank-hook it back towards the fairway from said water.

I think I could play this hole 20 different ways--I guess that makes this a perfect hole for one of these threads. I guess I'm taking dead aim at the center of the water and ripping one...and taking whatever club will land short of the trees when I yank-hook it back towards the fairway from said water.
That's telling you say that, I've hit from 7i to driver on this hole.

3w or hybrid at the green depending on wind. I feel comfortable getting up down from anywhere around the green. There is some risk involved but feel like the reward is worth it.

Probably hybrid aim left and hope my "fade" doesnt land me in the drink

270 yards with water right like that? I'm going PW, PW probably. Take the water out of play altogether.

I would probably take 7 iron off the tee and aim for the widest area of fairway. That should leave a full gap wedge in. Hopefully get close enough for a good birdie chance but at worst a 2 putt par.

hit an iron that leaves me 115-95 in depending how far left I miss with it. Take the right side completely out of play. Hit the green with my second.

Can't tell how much room there is short, but it looks like they're almost 15 yards. If I'm playing well I'd just hit up to a yardage of about 100 yards. If it was match play late in the round I would probably go for it if I was down. This hole I think sets up for a lefty really well. If they hit a hard draw from the left it would carry the water, but if they came out of it the ball would come up short left in the fairway. If I was hitting my cut how I wanted and I knew I was more than capable of hitting the shot (based off prior holes), I would go for it 100% of the time.

If it were early in the round I would hit driver as close to the tree line on the left and play the fade and hopefully get as close to the bunkers as possible.

Later in the round, and if my driver is going pretty straight that day I would aim over the edge of the water on the left.

I am never going for the green.

I play 3w from first tee, driver from 2nd. I aim for bunker and play my fade. I pulled a 3w slightly yesterday and it went straight.. wound up pin high in rough left of bunker.

Interesting hole for sure, and very pretty! More often than not I'd probably play 7i off the tee, hopefully leaving me a good angle with a half wedge into the green. I could see where a solid 3 wood at the front left of the green might be a decent play too though. Definitely a head scratcher for sure, I'll bet it's a blast and a great hole for match play!

I'd play to leave a full wedge shot to the green. Try and take the water/sand out of play so I could think about looking at the flag. Would probably just go for middle of the green and take my double after I sent the first or second ball in the water.

I'm pretty conservative, especially when OB or water comes to play. I'd hit a 5 iron, get to me within 100 and snipe at it with a wedge.
I was even thinking about a 7/8 off the tee to keep it in play, with that water short and right I don't like my chances of going towards the green on that line

I would hit hybrid left and short of the green to leave me with my current favorite iron shot of 60-80 yard 58* wedge in to the pin. That wedge shot has been money for me the last 3 months.

Also you can only see top 1/2 of the flag unless your greenside so you just have to trust the number. Hole is fairly well protected but you can get some swirling wind. If there's more than a breath of wind I'll poke a 7 iron down to the widest part of the fairway. Gives you a great angle to the green.

depends what the carry is over the water. if it's 230 or less, i might give it a go. if it's more than that, 6i or 5i down the left side, 60* of some sort onto the green, easy 2-putt par.

Back