I Need A Little Help Folks....... Putter

Knot Right

Reaction score
Since I started playing again recently after a 4 1/2 year layoff, and now I see about 1/2 the guys with all these newer style mallet mallet putters with the (Super Stroke?) grips. Some of them have fangs, legs, arms....whatever you want to call them.I still have my 30 years old Nicklaus 35" VIP heel shafted blade in my bag with about 10lbs. of lead tape on it. Some of the guys are amazed that I am still stuck in the stone ages.

One of the guys in my foursome had me try his Rossie with one of the fat grips on it. I was amazed how nice it felt, along with how easy it was to align on 3-6 foot putts. I also noticed that the ball rolls much nicer off the clubface than my old Macgregor.

I am looking to buy one of these pretty soon with about a 36" shaft to make things easier on my back. My back gets pretty sore when I practice very long with my current putter. I am 6'3" with large (XL glove size) and my wrists are 37" standing normal. I liked the fatter grip and how easy the putter was to use. The one that a buddy had me try was Rossie RX, with a simple looking 1/2 moon head with alignment lines on it, but it was 33" in length and way too short me me to use everyday.

Thanks for any responses.

Since I started playing again recently after a 4 1/2 year layoff, and now I see about 1/2 the guys with all these newer style mallet mallet putters with the (Super Stroke?) grips. Some of them have fangs, legs, arms....whatever you want to call them.I still have my 30 years old Nicklaus 35" VIP heel shafted blade in my bag with about 10lbs. of lead tape on it. Some of the guys are amazed that I am still stuck in the stone ages.

One of the guys in my foursome had me try his Rossie with one of the fat grips on it. I was amazed how nice it felt, along with how easy it was to align on 3-6 foot putts. I also noticed that the ball rolls much nicer off the clubface than my old Macgregor.

I am looking to buy one of these pretty soon with about a 36" shaft to make things easier on my back. My back gets pretty sore when I practice very long with my current putter. I am 6'3" with large (XL glove size) and my wrists are 37" standing normal. I liked the fatter grip and how easy the putter was to use. The one that a buddy had me try was Rossie RX, with a simple looking 1/2 moon head with alignment lines on it, but it was 33" in length and way too short me me to use everyday.

Thanks for any responses.

Since you are looking to buy a new putter I'd suggest getting a putter fitting. They can help you decide what shape head works best for your putter stroke and help with loft, lie, and length. Best of all that since you are looking to buy a new putter anyways the cost of the fitting usually ends up being free when you buy one. So not only will you have purchased a new putter, you purchased a putter that will in theory help you putt to the best of your ability. It's much better than going in and buying one off the rack and finding out that you're really not that happy with the results. Take advantage of the fitting process. I wish I did years ago. It would have saved me a lot of money trying out different putters!

The easiest way to find something is to go try as many putters as you can. You will see/hear the difference in feel from inserts to non-inserts, from size and shape and everything else.

It will be fun and educational and make some notes or mental notes about the shapes and brands you like and then check for THP reviews or other THPer feedback.

The easiest way to find something is to go try as many putters as you can. You will see/hear the difference in feel from inserts to non-inserts, from size and shape and everything else.

It will be fun and educational and make some notes or mental notes about the shapes and brands you like and then check for THP reviews or other THPer feedback.

This. I believe fitting is important but what's more important than anything is finding something you feel confident with.

This includes grips, heads, inserts, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today's greens are faster - cut tight and in better condition. Putter lofts have changed - many are 2-3 degrees to gain forward roll more quickly after contact. Setups have changed. Now a more neutral setup is typically advocated - a square setup with head, shoulders, hips, feet -- your hands are not forward or behind the head but held at its true loft (although some makers have a 4 degree loft head so you can forward press). The wider or wider variety of grips can help quiet your hands (a good factor).

I am 6 ft - and like a 36 inch mallet - I typically grip down an inch because it's comfortable and easier on the back.

You can also counterweight a putter, in particluar a longer or heavier mallet. If you find the head lagging behind the hands or feeling you must chase the ball, something is wrong - try a counterweight.

I would start with a mallet shape as people generally will aim them straighter, although we are all different. It's a good starting point. Sightlines tend to take you left, and you may need it. The offset can also affect aim. I like to take a SeeMore Triangulator, set up to a hole 8 feet away, and aim the putter. Then I, or better, a friend, set the triangulator and pull the string to see if you are aimed at the hole.

See this and you will see how aiming is measured:

Many believe aim is very important so you do not make compensations. I line up the putts with my eyes from the hole to the putter and then use the shape of the head to confirm as many of us tend to aim right with our eyes. The shape, sightlines and hosel best fit for you will have you aiming where you think you are aiming.

I was once a putter ho', and never found the aim or headweight best for me until I studied what makers like Edel were doing as to head shape, and a few MD's have written about how the eyes play tricks on you and how to overcome them.

Once you get your aim, take a couple of heads that you aim straight, and see if they are consistent from stroke to stroke - for example, see if 3 balls form a somewhat tight grouping not more than 12 inches past the hole. And sometimes, it takes a couple of days on the green to get accustomed to a putter.

It's a journey. Good luck.

Last edited:
This. I believe fitting is important but what's more important than anything is finding something you feel confident with.

This includes grips, heads, inserts, etc

That's part of the fitting process...trying out many different ones that fit your putter stroke and then finding the one that gives you confidence.

That's part of the fitting process...trying out many different ones that fit your putter stroke and then finding the one that gives you confidence.

These fittings much be about a day long then because that would take a long time to go through even all the major manufacturers and their different styles.

These fittings much be about a day long then because that would take a long time to go through even all the major manufacturers and their different styles.

You could say the same for any club fitting with all the different shaft options, length, grips, and all the different hosel settings. As you saw in my post, I said many putters...not ALL putters. Don't take my initial replay as a negative. I was merely stating that a putter fitting is like any other fitting. You try out many different brands, shapes, and sizes (and obviously not every putter brand and style ever manufactured). A good fitter will immediately look at your stroke and can determine based on how much arc you have in your swing what type of club head shape will give you the best chance at making putts. From there you try out that head shape from the different brands and find one that feels good in your hands but also to your eyes as well. Then you determine length, loft, and lie. My fitting took a little over an hour and I can tell you that my putting has improved because I am at least standing over the ball with the putter that gives me the best chance based on my stance and putter stroke. The rest is up to me.

I go by what I aim straight as exhaustively stated above, but I can use a toe up mallet and would still use it if it was a heavier head, and have used toe hang mallets. Presently gaming a face balanced mallet that is heavier, and demoed a Toulon face balanced mallet. Granted, I don't force an arc - go for a natural arc, and perhaps toe up, down and face balanced work because of such an approach. Good luck.

You could say the same for any club fitting with all the different shaft options, length, grips, and all the different hosel settings. As you saw in my post, I said many putters...not ALL putters. Don't take my initial replay as a negative. I was merely stating that a putter fitting is like any other fitting. You try out many different brands, shapes, and sizes (and obviously not every putter brand and style ever manufactured). A good fitter will immediately look at your stroke and can determine based on how much arc you have in your swing what type of club head shape will give you the best chance at making putts. From there you try out that head shape from the different brands and find one that feels good in your hands but also to your eyes as well. Then you determine length, loft, and lie. My fitting took a little over an hour and I can tell you that my putting has improved because I am at least standing over the ball with the putter that gives me the best chance based on my stance and putter stroke. The rest is up to me.

This is really interesting as most fittings dont have players hit dozens of shafts and grips.
It always reminds me of a driver fitting and how so many believe its about hitting 50 different shafts to see what works best. Thats not really a fitting, its more of a demo.

Ill be honest and say someone new to the game, I think all of it is overkill. Look at a bunch, hit a bunch and then buy it. As they become more experienced, their love for different shapes and styles will bubble up more and then more detailed looks can be touched on.

This is really interesting as most fittings dont have players hit dozens of shafts and grips.
It always reminds me of a driver fitting and how so many believe its about hitting 50 different shafts to see what works best. Thats not really a fitting, its more of a demo.

Ill be honest and say someone new to the game, I think all of it is overkill. Look at a bunch, hit a bunch and then buy it. As they become more experienced, their love for different shapes and styles will bubble up more and then more detailed looks can be touched on.

This is basically what I meant just put more eloquently as usual.

Obviously you're not switching grips for a driver fitting. That was for the putter fitter. My fitter recommended I go with a thicker grip to take the wrist out of my stroke. I felt uncomfortable with the thicker grip so I didn't go with it. I disagree to a point about swapping shafts during the driver fitting. Yes, you aren't going to try 50 different shafts but you should be swapping some out during the fitting. The new Cobra drivers will have over 20 shaft options I believe. I don't think it's about demo'ing them but more about finding the one that gives you the best numbers. Same goes with hitting shots and making hosel adjustments. There are shafts that I can control and there are shafts that I can't. Toss out the ones I can't and then go through the selection of shafts I can control and find the one that works best for me (numbers wise). My scores are consistently lower with clubs that have been fit to my swing.

Or he can be like me and (and spend way too much money) have 28 drivers in the garage with all different shafts and flexes (and different hosel settings) that I hit with mixed results! The putter collection is similar. I've had tons of fun trying them out since I love hitting new equipment but most just gather dust since what I have in the bag now I am so consistent with. I'd be a fool to make changes (but I probably will)!

Obviously you're not switching grips for a driver fitting. That was for the putter fitter. My fitter recommended I go with a thicker grip to take the wrist out of my stroke. I felt uncomfortable with the thicker grip so I didn't go with it. I disagree to a point about swapping shafts during the driver fitting. Yes, you aren't going to try 50 different shafts but you should be swapping some out during the fitting. The new Cobra drivers will have over 20 shaft options I believe. I don't think it's about demo'ing them but more about finding the one that gives you the best numbers. Same goes with hitting shots and making hosel adjustments. There are shafts that I can control and there are shafts that I can't. Toss out the ones I can't and then go through the selection of shafts I can control and find the one that works best for me (numbers wise). My scores are consistently lower with clubs that have been fit to my swing.

Or he can be like me and (and spend way too much money) have 28 drivers in the garage with all different shafts and flexes (and different hosel settings) that I hit with mixed results! The putter collection is similar. I've had tons of fun trying them out since I love hitting new equipment but most just gather dust since what I have in the bag now I am so consistent with. I'd be a fool to make changes (but I probably will)!

I can assure you a real fitting for the Cobra driver will not have any person testing 20 shafts despite them being available. I would argue that more than 5 is not a fitting. A good fitter will know after a few swings and then its fine tuning.

I can assure you a real fitting for the Cobra driver will not have any person testing 20 shafts despite them being available. I would argue that more than 5 is not a fitting. A good fitter will know after a few swings and then its fine tuning.

When I got fit for the XR, I think we tried 3 shafts based on my results with the stock setup.

And it's been the best combo I've ever played with.

I never said anyone would be trying out all 20 different shafts. They are available though because everyone is different. Yes, I agree with you that your fitter will knock that number down almost immediately but you'd be doing yourself a disservice by just trying 1 or 2 and saying this is the shaft for me! You can call the rest fine tuning but it's still part of the fitting. If I have the fitter there and i'm spending the money on the club then i'm going through all the fine tuning I can to optimize my performance. I've tried taking the club to the range and messing with the settings. It's much easier to do and see the results (number wise) at the fitting and reading the data. Yes, there is difference in actual feel and actually seeing your ball flight at the range and not just numbers. I'm just basing it on my own experience.

I'm not saying to not go to the store and hit every putter they have available and find what you like. Absolutely you should! Once he finds some styles (head shape, insert/non insert, grip size, etc) he likes then take that list to a fitter and and go from there to fine tune it. The game is hard enough with ill fitting equipment. If you're going to spend the money on a putter go through the fitting process and at least give yourself the best chance standing over the ball. It's worth it.

Get out there and try as many putters as you can. Heck, even try some that have absolutely no surface appeal to you because you just never know what your eyes/brain is going to respond to.
At the end of the day it's all about sinking putts, and if you can sink putts while enjoying the look and feel that's even better.

There have been a lot of responses and I agree that you should try different putter configurations to see what you like. Ultimately the most important thing that you need to do is start your putt on your intended line. When you find putters you like, put a dime about 16" in front of a ball and try to roll balls over it with different length stokes. Pick the putter that you hits the dime most consistently.

Two putter lines I would try are the new Rife Evnroll putters and the Ping putters with the True Roll (TR) face.

Both tested very well for the majority of golfers in several studies and seem to help a lot on mis-hits.

Thank you everyone.

I really appreciate the feedback.

I am going down to Golf Galaxy to see if they have the ODYSSEY WHITE HOT RX ROSSIE PUTTER in stock with a 36" length and then let them have their way with me as far as the lie and alignment. I will check and see which Super Stroke grip feels the best and if they come with counterbalance weights.

Today's greens are faster - cut tight and in better condition. Putter lofts have changed - many are 2-3 degrees to gain forward roll more quickly after contact. Setups have changed. Now a more neutral setup is typically advocated - a square setup with head, shoulders, hips, feet -- your hands are not forward or behind the head but held at its true loft (although some makers have a 4 degree loft head so you can forward press). The wider or wider variety of grips can help quiet your hands (a good factor).

I am 6 ft - and like a 36 inch mallet - I typically grip down an inch because it's comfortable and easier on the back.

You can also counterweight a putter, in particluar a longer or heavier mallet. If you find the head lagging behind the hands or feeling you must chase the ball, something is wrong - try a counterweight.

I would start with a mallet shape as people generally will aim them straighter, although we are all different. It's a good starting point. Sightlines tend to take you left, and you may need it. The offset can also affect aim. I like to take a SeeMore Triangulator, set up to a hole 8 feet away, and aim the putter. Then I, or better, a friend, set the triangulator and pull the string to see if you are aimed at the hole.

See this and you will see how aiming is measured:

Many believe aim is very important so you do not make compensations. I line up the putts with my eyes from the hole to the putter and then use the shape of the head to confirm as many of us tend to aim right with our eyes. The shape, sightlines and hosel best fit for you will have you aiming where you think you are aiming.

I was once a putter ho', and never found the aim or headweight best for me until I studied what makers like Edel were doing as to head shape, and a few MD's have written about how the eyes play tricks on you and how to overcome them.

Once you get your aim, take a couple of heads that you aim straight, and see if they are consistent from stroke to stroke - for example, see if 3 balls form a somewhat tight grouping not more than 12 inches past the hole. And sometimes, it takes a couple of days on the green to get accustomed to a putter.

It's a journey. Good luck.

Good info Des...Thx!

I went onto YouTube after reading your post and saw exactly what you were referring to.

I am going with the Rossie model as the head is much simpler looking.

Don't decide without trying several if not all the putters at your local golf shop. With and without Superstroke or other oversize grips. Quick decisions lead to buying more putters.
Try the putters in different lengths too and ask about fitting. My one thing I found was that I removed all but the essential motion from my swing and have putted very consistently since fitting, with all my putters, blade and mallet.

Back