Wrong. They have to shoot a Combine +15 above the course rating from the middle tees over two rounds on the same day.

Are you a teacher? You love correcting people here. My point was you must be a competent golfer to be a PGA pro.

Are you a teacher? You love correcting people here. My point was you must be a competent golfer to be a PGA pro.
I can see how that came off. I apologize. I was trying to THP while chasing my kids around a cabin. I didn't mean to offend. I was just trying to get correct information regarding the PGA PAT in the thread.

Hank Haney

Where does some of this stuff come from? Butch Harmon played on tour in the late 60s and early 70s. Pretty sure you have to be better than a 12 to play on the PGA Tour.

I thought that was Claude Harmon?
Are they the same person?
I know Claude was a good buddy of Ben Hogan which is surely a good thing when it comes to teaching.

Edit: I see that both father and son are called Claude and I was referring to the father!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that was Claude Harmon?
Are they the same person?
I know Claude was a good buddy of Ben Hogan which is surely a good thing when it comes to teaching.

Butch Harmon's real name is Claude "Butch" Harmon Jr.

Having no idea how well Mr. Haney actually plays, but knowing the success he has has as an instructor - I have to say, when he is in the guest chair on various instructional shows, I get the impression that he is the worst teacher in the world! They way he identifies problems and offers solutions is ludicrous. (e.g. To fix your slice, you need to hit the ball straight.)

Granted, my example may be a bit exaggerated, but I hope you get what I am trying to say.

I can't figure out if he really only understands teaching when in one on one situations, or if he offers up BS tips and tricks on free television in order to not give away potential profit.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Wrong. They have to shoot a Combine +15 above the course rating from the middle tees over two rounds on the same day.

So effectively like a 7.5 handicap?!
I always thought you had to be 2 or below to qualify for qualifying.

This is not correct. At least the 2 times I took the PAT the number was 153. Par being 72 144 total would be par. The goal going into the pat is shoot 150 and you will pass.

This is not correct. At least the 2 times I took the PAT the number was 153. Par being 72 144 total would be par. The goal going into the pat is shoot 150 and you will pass.
http://pgajobfinder.pgalinks.com/helpwanted/empcenter/pgaandyou/pro.cfm?ctc=5522

The Competition

Men shall play from tees at least 6,000 yards in length with a minimum USGA course rating of 68.Women shall play from tees at least 5,500 yards and at a maximum of 5,700 yards.

Target score is determined by multiplying the USGA course rating by two (2) and adding fifteen strokes. (After multiplying, any remaining fraction is dropped.)

Lift, clean and place" cannot be invoked during a PAT. If conditions do not warrant playing the ball down, the PAT must be canceled and should be rescheduled. If a PAT is played under "lift, clean and place", that PAT will be invalidated and all scores will be null and void.

I have also read this. Just giving my experience. This did not hold true the two times I took it. I believe what this is referring to is you can start your apprenticeship with those numbers but you do not pass the PAT. I'm not positive on that though. you can start your apprenticeship w/o passing the PAT but you can't move up A-2, A-1 etc.

Question. Is Hank Heney a delusional ass or does he just come off that way? When I listen to his show on Sirius/XM he always seems condescending. Then the other morning he was in Golf Channel saying that he doesn't believe in video recording, launch monitors and technology and prefers just looking at ball flight and swing and going from there. I guess that comment really bothered me because it came across as him ripping teachers that do embrace technology. Then at the break his Commerical came on he can teach you to get the "optimal spin rate". Interesting how he puts down technology and then talks about teaching optimal spin rate - a very technical measurement in my opinion.

I just don't get him. He always sounds annoyed, unenthusiastic and condescending when doing his show like he's being forced to do it. It drives me nuts and I never get anything worth while from him. "If you hit the ball strait and keep it in the fairway you will play better golf." He's the golf version of John Madden.

rant over.

Question. Is Hank Heney a delusional ass or does he just come off that way? When I listen to his show on Sirius/XM he always seems condescending. Then the other morning he was in Golf Channel saying that he doesn't believe in video recording, launch monitors and technology and prefers just looking at ball flight and swing and going from there. I guess that comment really bothered me because it came across as him ripping teachers that do embrace technology. Then at the break his Commerical came on he can teach you to get the "optimal spin rate". Interesting how he puts down technology and then talks about teaching optimal spin rate - a very technical measurement in my opinion.

I just don't get him. He always sounds annoyed, unenthusiastic and condescending when doing his show like he's being forced to do it. It drives me nuts and I never get anything worth while from him. "If you hit the ball strait and keep it in the fairway you will play better golf." He's the golf version of John Madden.

rant over.

For what it's worth, Butch Harmon has said the same thing about using trackman and launch monitors. They can teach you to get optimal spin without using those pieces of tech. It's an old school way of teaching by using their trained eye.

He also irritates me for some reason. Ever since his book about himself (oh wait it was about tiger) I change the channel when I see his face.

He also irritates me for some reason. Ever since his book about himself (oh wait it was about tiger) I change the channel when I see his face.
Honest question, have you read that book. I haven't. But I've heard it's better than expected.

Im guessing you did not read the book.
It is always bashed by folks, until they actually read it and realize not only was not it a "Yay Me" book, it did not bash Tiger Woods.

It's a really good book. I'd recommend it to anyone.

The book was very well done and if read with an open mind, an interesting look behind the curtain. At least as far as he was allowed to go. I cannot however listen to his radio program. His voice does grate on me and it sounds like it's forced. He always seems uncomfortable doing it.

There is no doubt he has talent as a teacher though and I would love to have a lesson from him.

JM

Such an interesting book. Highly recommend. Reading is not one of my favorite activities, but I couldn't put that book down

Honest question, have you read that book. I haven't. But I've heard it's better than expected.

I did read the book and did not like it at all, yes he did give some info from behind the scenes. But IMO it was more about what he did for tiger and his greatness, we all see things differently and I read a great deal. The way it was written and the content was just not to my liking.

I did read the book and did not like it at all, yes he did give some info from behind the scenes. But IMO it was more about what he did for tiger and his greatness, we all see things differently and I read a great deal. The way it was written and the content was just not to my liking.

Whoa...Im wondering if I read a different book.

It just proves we are all different and that is what makes the world go around, I still have it around the house here somewhere. Maybe I will take in on my next trip and try to get though it again, perceptions change and maybe I would think differently the second time around....but I doubt it.

Do yourself a favor and read the book. Hank took a lot of crap from tiger and at the end of the day is still a huge tiger fan. The book had very little to do about hank himself

It just proves we are all different and that is what makes the world go around, I still have it around the house here somewhere. Maybe I will take in on my next trip and try to get though it again, perceptions change and maybe I would think differently the second time around....but I doubt it.

you're right, we are all different and that's a wonderful thing. I thoroughly enjoyed the book as a behind-the-scenes look at one of the more guarded, content-controlling yet visible athletes in history. I also love to read about golf swings. the book was written in the most basic of prose, maybe because that's hank's voice or maybe because people of all ages are interested in tiger so it doesn't make sense to put out a book written on a high level. my only knock on the book - and it's a big one - is that so much of it stank of spilled milk. "I got fired for doing my job, and look how good of a job I did. Anything bad was either Tiger not listening or Tiger abusing his body." hank definitely has an ego (I think you have to at that level), and he had to tell the world why he was right and any critics were wrong.

Thank you, your post clarified why I did not like it. I just did not put it into the correct words. But it is great to be able to have a discussion and even if all do not agree it is all right.

Happy 4th of July! and thanks to all that have given their lives so we can say what we think and not be shunned or condemned for it. (even on the internet)

Maybe he was just telling how it is

Just another point, I did not say he was not correct in what he said or his observations about Tiger were not accurate, most have proven to be true. It was the way it was written and at the time it came out seemed to be just to make money off the man falling on his face so to speak.

Back