The Car Shopping Thread

I'm biased, but if you are interested in the S3, take a look at the CLA45 AMG. It is a bit more than the S3, but about 60HP more with dual clutch and AWD.

I've already taken a very good look at the CLA and GLA 45s. I think those are both very nice as well but their option packages are incredibly expensive. Naturally, they tend to group one option that you really want with a bunch of stuff you could totally do without and make it a $4k option package. I could fully option an S3 for roughly $51k (Canadian dollars) and if I recall correctly, the Mercedez models optioned the way I'd want were going to be low to mid 60's which is getting pretty silly for that level of car. You're well into S4 territory at that point. Plus, I've read over and over again that the suspension in the AMGs (at least those two) is extremely stiff and makes it a somewhat miserable daily driver.

Everyone will be different, but for me without question the Golf R. Weight is almost identical, only R offers manual (at a discount btw), same engine, but S3 starts at what ~$3000 higher and the back seat is horrible if you plan on taking anyone. Sat in the A3 and at 6', it was a squeeze for leg room.

I think the S3 looks 10 times better, but from a practicality side and on the wallet, the R would be tough to pass on.

I'm definitely looking for an automatic as my wife can't drive stick and I wouldn't want to teach her on either of these. Plus the Volkswagen/Audi DCT transmission is supposed to be pretty rad. I've admittedly not sat in either of the two cars and I'm a rather large fellow so I may well find that both are too small for me which would be heartbreaking, haha. Hopefully they'll have one or both at the car show next week and I can sit in them. We have no kids and only our trusty pooch tends to ride in the back of our car aside from maybe a couple trips out to a restaurant with family per year so the size of the back seat isn't a big deal for me so long as I have 4 doors. The size of the Audi's trunk also concerns me and may rule it out when I see it in the flesh. Where are you in Canada, Ghost?

I'm definitely looking for an automatic as my wife can't drive stick and I wouldn't want to teach her on either of these. Plus the Volkswagen/Audi DCT transmission is supposed to be pretty rad. I've admittedly not sat in either of the two cars and I'm a rather large fellow so I may well find that both are too small for me which would be heartbreaking, haha. Hopefully they'll have one or both at the car show next week and I can sit in them. We have no kids and only our trusty pooch tends to ride in the back of our car aside from maybe a couple trips out to a restaurant with family per year so the size of the back seat isn't a big deal for me so long as I have 4 doors. The size of the Audi's trunk also concerns me and may rule it out when I see it in the flesh. Where are you in Canada, Ghost?

Nova Scotia.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I just saw two new body style golf tdis driving behind each other, both with Michigan plates taped on them. One was 2 and the other 4 door. It certainly looked like one of the auto mags, not sure why they would be here though.

I've been looking at the Golf R for the last couple on months and now that it is available and reading even more reviews, I want one badly. I'm going to the Minneapolis car show this weekend to look. My plan was to get a new car around September but depending on how well I save, maybe mid summer. I figure around the end of April I'll start looking at dealerships. I have a few other cars in my mind but I am leaning hard towards the R.

Former coworker had a 2013 r. I had so much fun driving that car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my mates back home has a tuning business. He's just bought a Golf R as the companies project car. He absolutely loves the thing!

I saw a picture of a new Golf R with the APR stage 1 tuning, it was pushing close to 390 hp. Rumor has it that pre-orders for the 2016 model will start in April with deliveries in the Fall. Of whats known so far, the radio is a big improvement. My mind is basically set on what car I want.

My oldest sent this pic to my wife today. Now I need to find out how much my bride sent her.

0836443523762e01c5927eb9a191e829.jpg

I have an appointment at 4 today to test drive a GTI and to discuss ordering a Golf R. I'm test driving the GTI since I can't test drive the R. I'm pretty excited, hopefully the wait ins't long to get one, I'm hearing mid May.

I have an appointment at 4 today to test drive a GTI and to discuss ordering a Golf R. I'm test driving the GTI since I can't test drive the R. I'm pretty excited, hopefully the wait ins't long to get one, I'm hearing mid May.

Just in time for the MSP event. I am trying to talk my wife into something like that but she has her heart set on a Audi A5/S5.

Just in time for the MSP event. I am trying to talk my wife into something like that but she has her heart set on a Audi A5/S5.

We almost went with that Audi.

We almost went with that Audi.

She had an A4 a little while back and really misses it. She almost has all her school debt paid off and is close to getting a new job. Now I just need to find the right deal on a gently used one as the sticker shock of a new one would put me in a coma.

A dealer up here that I've bought from in the past has a 2008 BMW 135i with only 45k miles. I currently drive a 2010 128i so I'm used to a 2 door sport-ish car.

The 135 has the m sport package which is a serious upgrade in ride and handling. I'd also upgrade to the 300hp I-6 engine.

I test drove it already. I want it and my wife said okay. I'm not willing to go into more debt to get it though so the dealer would have to seriously work with me. In my favor though they've had it for about 3 months and RWD cars don't sell here in Utah...

A dealer up here that I've bought from in the past has a 2008 BMW 135i with only 45k miles. I currently drive a 2010 128i so I'm used to a 2 door sport-ish car.

The 135 has the m sport package which is a serious upgrade in ride and handling. I'd also upgrade to the 300hp I-6 engine.

I test drove it already. I want it and my wife said okay. I'm not willing to go into more debt to get it though so the dealer would have to seriously work with me. In my favor though they've had it for about 3 months and RWD cars don't sell here in Utah...
Sounds like a pretty cool upgrade.

She had an A4 a little while back and really misses it. She almost has all her school debt paid off and is close to getting a new job. Now I just need to find the right deal on a gently used one as the sticker shock of a new one would put me in a coma.

We had a 2002 A4 for 4 years and have a had a 2014 A4 for 14 months and already have 28,000 miles on it - great car that is sporty but can still haul around 5 people. I like the S5/A5 body style much better but my two teenagers didn't fit very well in the back seat. Once the kids are all gone it will be time for an S5 or if everything goes perfectly, maybe even one of these. At least I can dream.

audi-r8-06.jpg

Sounds like a pretty cool upgrade.

I'd love it but the dealership would have to be desperate to move it.

They really should send it to their Las Vegas location. It would sell easier

I'd love it but the dealership would have to be desperate to move it.

They really should send it to their Las Vegas location. It would sell easier
How many miles does yours have?

I've got a 2012 135 and absolutely love it.

Selling outright wouldn't get you close to an even swap?

I doubt I could move it in time. RWD can be tricky in Utah. Throw in that it's 2 door and they're tough sells. U knew that though and just planned to trade it in or sell it around 100k miles with it being paid off.

A year ago I couldn't find a 135 with in 1200 miles that fit my budget. They were all about $30k still. Now one fell into my lap and I wasn't even looking

I've got a 2012 135 and absolutely love it.

I love mine so if I miss out on the 135 it won't be too bad.

I think by 2012 they had all the kinks worked out like fuel pump and 3rd brake light issues.

A5/S5 are nice cars. The cabriolet might be the nicest of the convertibles.

Due for an update soon though. If you lease no big deal, but if your a buy and holder, maybe wait.

A5/S5 are nice cars. The cabriolet might be the nicest of the convertibles.

Due for an update soon though. If you lease no big deal, but if your a buy and holder, maybe wait.

I really like the S5 Convertible but not enough space for all my stuff

Back