1 Lesson = HUGE improvement

PizzaBear

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
Just got back from my first ever lesson, GEEEEEEEEZ did it make a difference.

Things i got told to work on:
Grip
Swing back straighter rather than over my shoulder
Alignment

The grip and the swing just going slow and smooth was hitting the ball straighter, further and better flight. AMAZING!!!

Sorry, if no one really cares but I'm pretty excited right now :D

We care Pizza Bear. That's awesome news.
Most important part, you are enjoying it.

I feel your excitement! Thanks for sharing. It's nice when things click and am glad to hear that you are seeing some results. Keep at it!

Glad it went well. Always good to see the light after a lesson

Thanks everyone :D

Hitting driver 200+yards carry with range balls and straight was the best feeling

I'm glad you got over your initial hesitation about going. Lessons with a good instructor are always helpful. Glad to hear you had positive results!

Awesome man! Nothing like a little something to make the game even more enjoyable.

Good going, PB. Stick with those lessons. They'll transform your game.

Good going, PB. Stick with those lessons. They'll transform your game.
Thanks

I'm going to focus on these things for a couple of weeks until I'm comfortable then go back for the next bit :D

Great to hear the first lesson was a big success PB! Keep it up buddy!

Thanks

I'm going to focus on these things for a couple of weeks until I'm comfortable then go back for the next bit :D

That's a really good cadence. I always liked to have a couple of weeks to really try and ingrain into my swing what my instructor had given me to work on. It does take some work to get to the point where you don't have to think about it--it just comes natural.

Sounds like you had a pretty good instructor, as grip and alignment are two of the basics of golf. Been playing for about 10 years, and alignment seems to be where I have the most problems. It seems to me that most bad shots are due to alignment (myself and others). Wish I could figure out a way to step into the ball, and not have to worry about alignment. I think I've tried everything. I would be interested in your thoughts on what you learned about alignment. Were you using alignment rods to help you on your first lesson?

Congrats, glad the lesson turned out so well!

That's a really good cadence. I always liked to have a couple of weeks to really try and ingrain into my swing what my instructor had given me to work on. It does take some work to get to the point where you don't have to think about it--it just comes natural.

I realise this is sort of just step 1 in a long overall process with my swing, but yeah I just want to be able to step up to a tee and not be running through a check list 3 times before i hit the ball before I add the next thing to think about

Sounds like you had a pretty good instructor, as grip and alignment are two of the basics of golf. Been playing for about 10 years, and alignment seems to be where I have the most problems. It seems to me that most bad shots are due to alignment (myself and others). Wish I could figure out a way to step into the ball, and not have to worry about alignment. I think I've tried everything. I would be interested in your thoughts on what you learned about alignment. Were you using alignment rods to help you on your first lesson?

A little bit, but he said stand behind your ball, find a marker about 6 inches in front of your ball and keep focused like your aiming for that rather than your actual target then if you're hitting straight and the ball goes over that mark it will go straight to where you want

That's awesome to hear! Sometimes just getting into a solid setup with a sound grip will take care of a lot of other compensation issues in the swing. Keep us posted on you progress!

That's awesome man. Just trust the process and it definitely pays off. Don't be discouraged if you hit a bump in the road and things goes sideways for a short time, it happens to everyone. It's crazy how much you have to adjust to playing a decent swing. I went through it in early 2016 and it is a fun ride, enjoy!

Congrats. Golf is so much more fun when it feels like you are enjoying yourself than rather a chore.

That's awesome man. Just trust the process and it definitely pays off. Don't be discouraged if you hit a bump in the road and things goes sideways for a short time, it happens to everyone. It's crazy how much you have to adjust to playing a decent swing. I went through it in early 2016 and it is a fun ride, enjoy!

I'm sort of looking at it as this is step one of a swing change, once I mastered this I move onto the next thing which will make me worse for a while but in the long run will help with more improvement and so on and so on :)

Great to hear PizzaBear! Love hearing stories of guys who get lessons and it leads them to enjoyment their game more.
And I like that you will try and ingrain this lesson first, then go back for another.

Great testimonial for taking a lesson and, as noted above, grip and alignment are cornerstones for a good swing. A friend once said to me PGA (Posture, Grip, Alignment) and that is so true.

And relative to taking a lessons, I don't necessarily think that one has to take a ton of lessons but having enough to understand what you're suppose to do and why are really key. Once you have that, you can practice knowing that your effort is building something you can use rather than building something you may need to tear down later. Also, without that vision, it's easy to get caught in the "fix" of the moment which can easily snowball into a pile of swing bandages. A good swing, at its core, is pretty simple.

That's what I try to do. Pick a spot in front of the ball, on the intended target line. My problem is getting my feet aligned after doing this.

That's what I try to do. Pick a spot in front of the ball, on the intended target line. My problem is getting my feet aligned after doing this.

I don't know then dude, my feet must've been pretty right from the start because he didn't mention anything

I'm sort of looking at it as this is step one of a swing change, once I mastered this I move onto the next thing which will make me worse for a while but in the long run will help with more improvement and so on and so on :)

Lessons don't always make you worse for the short term. It really depends on what you need to improve upon. First lesson I had got me playing the best golf of my life. Then I took a few months off and tried to start hitting a draw and dug myself a hole that I haven't climbed back out of.

Glad the first lesson went well, and I think you have a good strategy to take the things you learn in the lesson, in grain them and go back for the next step.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Nice work man! Hope you have many pb's this year

Back