How to hit up on driver?

Flowmosapien

i play golf
Reaction score
Handicap
So recently I've been hitting down on my driver a lot. This results in a low slice that doesn't go very far. When I got fitted last week my attack angle was as low as -9 and my best was around -3. My fitter said I was coming over the top a lot and loosing tons of distance as a result. I've tried moving the ball up, teeing it higher, and changing my spine tilt, but nothing seems to work. Any swing advice freddie?

This is my problem also. I would love to hear a few tips too.

Thinking out loud, the goal is you want your swing to bottom out a few inches before the ball so the club is hitting the ball on the upswing, as opposed to an iron shot that you want to bottom out after the ball. Try focusing on that and let the swing take care of itself?

have a spine tilt to the right(right handed golfers). swing needs to bottom out before the ball so make sure ball is setup off front heel. An in to out swing will help with hitting up on driver.

Keep head behind the ball at impact. Easier said than done for most ;)

If you are coming over the top, you have the same issue many of us hackers have (myself especially). My guess is if you get your swing coming from the correct plane (inside to out) on the way to the golf ball you would shallow out your swing quite a bit and get a much better AOA (angle of attack).

My solution is getting lessons, and hopefully I will be improving on this soon.

Thanks!

Wait, you're coming over the top? Fix that and I would think some of your issues may be fixed.

mancest has some good thoughts. Also, here's a video that I really like that talks about 2 things at setup that can help you hit up on the ball with the driver:

So recently I've been hitting down on my driver a lot. This results in a low slice that doesn't go very far. When I got fitted last week my attack angle was as low as -9 and my best was around -3. My fitter said I was coming over the top a lot and loosing tons of distance as a result. I've tried moving the ball up, teeing it higher, and changing my spine tilt, but nothing seems to work. Any swing advice freddie?
Thanks for asking..based on what you posted it's a weight issue. That would be the only thing that could explains a negative AOA.

Spine tilt and ball position usually AOA issues. So we have to work on your weight. Make sure you are transferred from the right to left on the down swing. And left to right on the back swing. I'm assuming you are right handed.

Also you might want to look at shortening your backswing. Short back swings don't typically come over the top. Hope that helps.

Get a swing on video for FK! He will sort you out

Try teeing the ball up like normal but then start with your driver about 3-4 inches behind the ball.

Works wonders for some people

Try teeing the ball up like normal but then start with your driver about 3-4 inches behind the ball.

Worked on this very thing with my instructor today!

Thanks for all the tips guys. Definitely hit the ball farther but I still need to work on direction. Got a lesson with a pretty good pro in Orlando this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can attest first hand to this tip.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Definitely hit the ball farther but I still need to work on direction. Got a lesson with a pretty good pro in Orlando this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

who, if you don't mind me asking?

He is a teacher at Brian Mogg's academy. Never had a lesson from him but supposedly he's good. Forgot his name but I'm headed down there for the weekend and I have it in my emails somewhere.

Quoted for truth! Amazing what a little change in ball position can do!!

cool! would love to know what he has you work on. hitting up on a driver is something i struggle with as well.

I tried that trick from barbarakp, a few years ago. It works great!!!

I would tee the ball up opposite my left heel.

Then push a white tee in the ground 3 inches behind it. The white tee was only sticking up out of the ground enough for me to see it.

You line up as if the white tee is the one with the ball on it.

Hit away and let 'er rip.

Jack

While it won't cure a slice or a negative attack angle, take a driver head cover and place the head end in front on ball slightly to the left of center of the ball with the shaft end of the cover out to the right of the ball. For me the visual cue and immediate feedback of hitting the head cover promotes a draw with a positive attack.

I've also seen placing an empty sleeve of balls on its side out in front of a teed up ball. Once again, immediate feedback on attack angle without damaging your driver

While it won't cure a slice or a negative attack angle, take a driver head cover and place the head end in front on ball slightly to the left of center of the ball with the shaft end of the cover out to the right of the ball. For me the visual cue and immediate feedback of hitting the head cover promotes a draw with a positive attack.

I've also seen placing an empty sleeve of balls on its side out in front of a teed up ball. Once again, immediate feedback on attack angle without damaging your driver
Got a picture for clarification, i cant seem to visualize this

This is how I do it and it works well for me

This vid is more about slicing, but the main gist of it is setting up with the driver behind the ball which helps stop your shoulders from inadvertently opening as well as promoting an upward swing on the ball.

Good stuff in here. I'll add if you can keep the tee in the ground after impact then you're hitting the ball on the upswing. Pros can do that easily and rarely do you see their tee flying all over the place.

This vid is more about slicing, but the main gist of it is setting up with the driver behind the ball which helps stop your shoulders from inadvertently opening as well as promoting an upward swing on the ball.

This is exactly what I do. I don't use a tee, and don't worry about my head position or anything, just aim like normal and then set up a few inches behind the ball. It works really well for me. It's how I eliminated my slice.

Back