Fast Swingers + Lightweight Iron Shafts

jlukes

Reaction score
Any high(ish) swing speed players using 'lightweight' (under 110g) iron shafts?

My driver swing speed is around 108 MPH and I am currently playing KBS Tour Stiff shafts. Prior to that I played Modus 3 130 shafts.

Based on my high swing speed, I typically get fit into heavier-weight shafts. However, I am finding my clubs to feel heavier than I would like, and that I always need to be swinging full bore to get the shaft to kick correctly - taking smooth swing makes the shaft feel even heavier.

I am pondering moving to a lighter shaft in my 545 irons, but don't want to hit high-spinning moonballs. Is there an option out there with a good balance of stiffness and feel that is under 110g? Would going to x-stiff in a lighter shaft be an option?

Thanks

Any high(ish) swing speed players using 'lightweight' (under 110g) iron shafts?

My driver swing speed is around 108 MPH and I am currently playing KBS Tour Stiff shafts. Prior to that I played Modus 3 130 shafts.

Based on my high swing speed, I typically get fit into heavier-weight shafts. However, I am finding my clubs to feel heavier than I would like, and that I always need to be swinging full bore to get the shaft to kick correctly - taking smooth swing makes the shaft feel even heavier.

I am pondering moving to a lighter shaft in my 545 irons, but don't want to hit high-spinning moonballs. Is there an option out there with a good balance of stiffness and feel that is under 110g? Would going to x-stiff in a lighter shaft be an option?

Thanks

Joe - have you ever used the Mizuno shaft optimizer? Not that it's the end all, be all, but might be a good place to see if (at least in Mizuno's mind), you're a fit for lighter weight shafts.

I have seen you post that you like the CTL in your U45. Why not go with those?

Joe - have you ever used the Mizuno shaft optimizer? Not that it's the end all, be all, but might be a good place to see if (at least in Mizuno's mind), you're a fit for lighter weight shafts.

No, I have not. I have thought about finding one and getting some info.

I know the PGA SS near me in Paramus has it.

I sit around 108 and play 82g Recoil 680's. No issues holding up with my transition either.

I'm similar to Jman. SS is right around 110 and use the 85g stock shafts in my speedblades. It took a while to get used to, but I love not having to swing out of my shoes

I sit around 108 and play 82g Recoil 680's. No issues holding up with my transition either.

Thanks. I guess the biggest thing I am worried about is hitting the ball too high. I am already at 30-33y peak height with my KBS Tours.

I don't think shaft weight matters as long as your getting the intended ball flight. We've learned time and time again that lighter weighted shafts can handle the work load of "fast" swingers. The question is what do you want the results to be?

Thanks. I guess the biggest thing I am worried about is hitting the ball too high. I am already at 30-33y peak height with my KBS Tours.

What is the tour average for ball height?

I don't think shaft weight matters as long as your getting the intended ball flight. We've learned time and time again that lighter weighted shafts can handle the work load of "fast" swingers. The question is what do you want the results to be?

Definitely dude. Not worried about the workload, but more of the ball flight. I enjoy the ball flight I get with my KBS Tours - I just wish they were lighter/easier to swing.

Canadan is swinging the xr pros with tourv90 in them just fine. He's 110+ and xr pros launch high too

i think dropping to the CTLs or even the recoil 110 prototype would be fine if you wanted to go lighter.

i saw a guy saturday with a slower swing speed hit the ball better with a heavier shaft than i would have expected.

i do like the option of getting on the mizuno tool and seeing what it spits out for you.

Definitely worth a shot - it put me in shafts I probably wouldn't have guessed - 120g shafts (KBS, XP 115, and Nippon 1150) in S. I have seen decent results with the suggestions. And I've tried the device 3 times in 3 different places over a couple year time period, so it's definitely consistent.

I'm around 110-112 and I play the 105g KBS shafts in the RSi2's. Love that weight and they are some of the best feeling shaft/head combos I have tried.

Edit: Although I did try the Bridgestone J15 CB's this weekend with the X100's and those were some sweet swinging irons for me. Didn't feel that heavy to me at all but looking at the specs those X100 DG pros play around 130g.

maybe take a look at PXI

I am in the 115 driver ss range. I used Aldila NV 85 iron shafts as well as the pro versions at 105 or 115. The recoil 110 are incredible as are the 95g steelfibers. I have played quite a few lighter weight shafts and the NV felt great and are pretty cheap. The best performing I had were the Recoil proto 110 in F5 flex. Loved those shafts.

Back