Poll: Which Epic did you buy, standard or Subzero?

Poll: Which Epic did you buy, standard or Subzero?

• Callaway Epic Standard

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Callaway Epic Subzero

Votes: 24 51.1%

• Total voters
Swing speed is at 112, was fitted into SZ in 9*, with fujikura pro green 72g S, -3/4".

Last edited:
9* Epic 95-97mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sub Zero 9* beat the Epic for me on feel/sound alone. For most people they seem to be pretty similar, but there was something about the Epic that I absolutely hated. It also produced better numbers.

Regular on course SS is either side of 101. Monitor swing trying to crush it is 107. I have always favored low spin drivers at low loft because I have naturally high launch angles (983E 8.5, Anser 8, SLDR 9.5, LTD Pro 8.5).

SZ at 9* neutral was giving me 15-17* launch with 1700-2100 spin. Pretty much maxed out numbers.

I did not see the fade bias on the monitor but I did see it during the one round I've been able to get out for in between major rain storms. For that one round, I also felt like my launch was too low. Plugged drives and freezing weather didn't help because the course played way longer than normal. I'll do more on course testing when things start to dry out.

Since then I've been messing around on the range with +1/D weight back and weight forward. It definitely brought the draw back due to the change in face angle. Hard to tell what impact those settings have on spin. My closest local range has the end net at 210 yards so I'm left to judge based on how high up it hits and how it's flying when it hits. If nothing else, I was happy to see that the settings would influence right to left if I chose to do that.

My scratch playing partner also fit into the SZ. He's playing it at +1/N and he was crushing it and still drawing the ball as usual. His miss is a hook/overdraw left and he didn't hit a single one of those during the round.

I'm around 108ish normally, but I'm not sure which one I'm getting. Going to have to hit both and see I guess!

I do not know my SS currently. I went with both the standard EPIC in driver and in my soon to receive 3+ wood.

I have yet to come up with the cash to buy one (so I didn't vote), but once I do, I'll be buying the SZ in a 9* loft.
My swing speed is around 105 on average.

This is my answer

This thread just goes to show me that I need to get properly fit before I pull the trigger.

Fitted into the Sub Zero during The Grandaddy...Diamana D+ Whiteboard 60g X

SS 120+

Have the Epic with 90 - 95 swing speed. I tried the SZ and was hitting EVERYTHING right.

No clue what my ss is now. I was around 110 when fit at Annika Academy couple years ago. I have sz 9

I may not count... since I didn't buy... but I have the 10.5 epic playing at -1/N. In my opinion, swing speed isn't as important in head selection as it is in shaft selection. I think with the right shaft, either head would work for 99% of us. I personally, like having the sliding weight in the back of the Standard Epic, reminds me of my MP630 Fast Track that I really enjoyed. My SS is anywhere between 100-108 depending on the monitor and day. Going to pick up my recently tipped Pro 72 and T800, both at 44" and very curious to see how they play.

Was fitted at The Grandaddy and got the Epic. Swing speed was around 95 at the time.

Can't vote yet, still have the XRSZ but will be the ESZ down the road. Swing speed varies depending on what I'm doing but usually pretty quick.

SZ, rogue max 75X, 108 SS. I hit a very high draw so went X rather than S.

Sent from my HTC One M9PLUS using Tapatalk

Epic, 86 mph. Not better than the XXIO for me. Will be selling as soon as I find a good XXIO 9 to buy.

This winter I was at 106, last summer I was averaging 112. I got a SZ, I need the lower launch and like the fade bias. I also tinker with then sliding weights too much if my swing gets wonky, completely a me problem though.

I'm waiting for Gunner to post.

Neither, but I just told my wife that I wanted a new driver for my birthday later this month and told her I could order it. She said, "I already got it, don't go out and order another one, it would be just like you!"

Evidently, my good friend told her about it.

What a great wife. :banana: I know it's the SZ but I'm not sure on the shaft but it's probably the Aldila Max 75 x flex. If not I'll swap out the shaft with my buddy at Golf Galaxy.

Epic SZ 9*

SS between 90-95

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The regular Epic (nothing regular about it to me!) with a low 90's swing speed.

Standard epic
Ss is 96 to 98 range

Epic sz 9* Rogue Max stiff , mid 90's ish ss, but it will be in a fight with my Fusion to get in the starting line up this spring.

Avg SS was 113 and i was fitted into a SZ 10.5 with Rogue Max 75 X stiff shaft........which i had to sell sadly.

Back