Global Golf Trade-In Question

GoIrish17

Reaction score
Handicap
So, I have an old set of Ping i3 O-Size that I picked up a few years back as a project that I never got to, and have been trying to figure out what to do with them. I recently listed to sell on the classifieds here and did some eBay/ PGA Value Guide research to establish a fair price ($100 OBO, including shipping). So, last night I'm playing around with websites to see what I could get for them in trade-in. I don't need anything and would rather have the cash, but they haven't sold and I, like most here probably, would much rather have a shiny new club than a set gathering dust in the closet. Just like I suspected, they're getting in the $40-$60 range from most places, not including incentives offered by some sites (+10% over PGA Value, +50% trade-in incentive when buying new clubs, etc.).

Then, I visit Global Golf. For my set (3-sw, graphite) it shows the value as $140 (plus with the rewards points from the trade-in and subsequent purchase I'd earn a $10 gift card) ... which is a pretty decent amount more than I even have them listed for, especially taking $15-$20 shipping and PayPal fees into account for my listing. So, my question... WHAT'S THE CATCH??? I checked the couple sets of the same used irons they had for sale, and they have them listed from $165-$300, so I suppose there is money to be made for them. I am wondering if the online trade-in quote is for mint condition, and when they receive the irons they downgrade the trade-in price according to actual condition. Also, they have two sets listed as "custom", and the only thing custom about them that I can tell, according to the description, is a name engraved on the hosel (which mine have). Which makes me wonder if it might be worth my while to contact them directly about a trade-in.

Can anyone share their experience with Global Golf's trade-in program? I did some quick online searching, and saw some mention that the process does take some time. But, that's not really a huge concern of mine, as these have been sitting around unused for a few years now, and it's not like I'm trying to sell these to keep the lights on or anything. Any input/ experiences would be appreciated.

My experiences with them has been pretty good. You may want to be sure the value you are seeing is not contingent on any specific purchases. Sometimes they offer a bonus if you buy (as an example) a 2015 Callaway product.

Last i knew they were offering 150% trade in bonus. That's probably why the amount is so much higher

have had really good experiences with global golf, both through their website and purchases on the bay.

If they have that big of trade in bonus, I might have some things to trade in...

Looks like that bonus is ONLY good on 2015 Callaway Golf Purchases so you know...but I highly recommend the XR Pro Fairway woods :)

Global golf is a good site, I've ordered one or two things there and have always been pleased. I suspect it's all on the up and up, but check to make sure you don't have to buy something specific.

Yeah, I thought the same thing about some "fine print", or trade-in bonus, but I'm not seeing it. I only proceded far enough to get to the quote, and didn't go any further as I am not ready to commit yet. But, as I see it, they have a value of $140, or with their Callaway 150% trade-in bonus, I could get $210. Now, I really wasn't even considering anything Callaway, but if I had $210 to throw at something, a new Odyssey Milled Collection #6M could be in play...

Here's a screenshot of the trade-in page, please correct me if I'm missing something:

Screenshot%2028_zpsgikzkxuc.png

And, just to clarify, I am not questioning the integrity or business practices of Global Golf. I've bought many things from there and have always been highly satisfied in all aspects, including service, price, and shipping (which is one of the reasons I didn't just chalk it up to "too good to be true" when I saw the trade-in value). I have never traded in clubs online anywhere, so this is where my questions arise from.

I think Global Golf and I are on a first name basis. I'm like their Norm from Cheers.

Good site to work with. As long as the clubs are not damaged, you will get that much in trade-in credit.

Gotcha. Yeah, if you've got any thought to get some Callaway stuff, that is a freakin solid deal.

Out of curiosity, I just looked up what my Adams CMB's would trade in for, and I'd get $262 with the 150% trade in. That sure sets off some ponderage, especially since I'm supposed to have a Callaway fitting next week :D Anyone know how long the bonus lasts?

I've done trade-ins 3 times with Global Golf and everytime I got close to what my clubs were initially valued. All those 3 times took close to 2 weeks each for the process but well worth it.

This is really a great deal and has me pondering the XR Pro 14 degree now.... I've got a few things to trade in that would make it a nice swap. Hmmmmmmm......

I've done trade-ins 3 times with Global Golf and everytime I got close to what my clubs were initially valued. All those 3 times took close to 2 weeks each for the process but well worth it.

When you say "close to what my clubs were initially valued", what does that mean? If mine were valued at $140, I might expect $135? Did you lose money due to some shipping/ handling fees, or did they asses the condition when they arrived and devalue them accordingly? Are you saying that in 3 trade-ins, all 3 times (100%) you didn't get what they were initially valued at? This is what worries me, if I could net $100 in my pocket selling on eBay, I'd probably pass up $115-$120 in trade-in. The fact that the trade-in probably equals a little more money out of my pocket when a purchase is made, plus the waiting time makes the cash in hand more valuable to me. Though, I think netting $100 might be a bit ambitious when taking PayPal/ eBay fees into account selling on eBay. I guess what I mean to say is, I'd gladly take $140 +/- 5%, maybe 10%, over $100 cash, but probably wouldn't be interested at much less of a difference than that. Not that $100 net is guaranteed from eBay, but from checking completed auctions of sets similar to mine are selling between $120-$150 almost 100% of the time.

Usually it's a condition issue. You may see something as very good, then see it as good and ding you a couple bucks.

When you say "close to what my clubs were initially valued", what does that mean? If mine were valued at $140, I might expect $135? Did you lose money due to some shipping/ handling fees, or did they asses the condition when they arrived and devalue them accordingly? Are you saying that in 3 trade-ins, all 3 times (100%) you didn't get what they were initially valued at? This is what worries me, if I could net $100 in my pocket selling on eBay, I'd probably pass up $115-$120 in trade-in. The fact that the trade-in probably equals a little more money out of my pocket when a purchase is made, plus the waiting time makes the cash in hand more valuable to me. Though, I think netting $100 might be a bit ambitious when taking PayPal/ eBay fees into account selling on eBay. I guess what I mean to say is, I'd gladly take $140 +/- 5%, maybe 10%, over $100 cash, but probably wouldn't be interested at much less of a difference than that. Not that $100 net is guaranteed from eBay, but from checking completed auctions of sets similar to mine are selling between $120-$150 almost 100% of the time.

all depends on the condition your clubs are in. My clubs were in average condition and GG gave me a fair pricing for them. Plus anything over $100 for trade in, they'll give you free Fedex s/h. You just print out the label.
You also have to consider this using eBay: There's a fee that you would have to pay using eBay. Paypal will also take a very small portion. Plus, you would have to pay for the s/h cost.
By the way, Global golf won't just give you cash. They will give you a gift card or credit to use in the future purchase.

Wow I just took a look at what my Burner 2.0 iron set 3-PW would fetch me - $150 - that is NICE!!

I know PGA SS honors trade-in values; lets see what they say....

Usually it's a condition issue. You may see something as very good, then see it as good and ding you a couple bucks.

The problem with their system, as I see it, is there is nowhere to enter a condition (other than the box to check indicating that the clubs aren't all busted up). I'd be a little upset if I sent in a 15+ year old set of irons in great condition and they deducted a significant amount of money due to them not being in mint condition (refer to my ad, http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?70092-FS-Ping-i3-O-Size-3-SW-100-OBO-Shipped, they're in great condition for a set of their age). I plan on calling them to get some clarification before proceeding, but wanted to get some firsthand experiences from members here before crossing that bridge.

The problem with their system, as I see it, is there is nowhere to enter a condition (other than the box to check indicating that the clubs aren't all busted up). I'd be a little upset if I sent in a 15+ year old set of irons in great condition and they deducted a significant amount of money due to them not being in mint condition (refer to my ad, http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?70092-FS-Ping-i3-O-Size-3-SW-100-OBO-Shipped, they're in great condition for a set of their age). I plan on calling them to get some clarification before proceeding, but wanted to get some firsthand experiences from members here before crossing that bridge.

Understandable. Last time I used GG on a trade, they were more than helpful with any issues I had. You'll be fine using them

use this as a guide line
http://www.globalgolf.com/about/club-rating/

Your definition of "very good" might be different than their's.

The clubs appear to be in mint condition - I think the only issue you may ​have is that your name is stamped on the hosel...

The clubs appear to be in mint condition - I think the only issue you may ​have is that your name is stamped on the hosel...

I thought that might be an issue (not my name, BTW- original owner's name). But like I said earlier in the thread, they actually have two sets listed separately from the other i3's as "custom" sets, that the only "custom" thing I can see on them is a name stamped on the hosel, and possibly custom specs. The "custom" sets are listed at a higher price than the standard sets. I thought the name might diminish the value, but that left me wondering if it might not as it indicates a custom order from Ping.

use this as a guide line
http://www.globalgolf.com/about/club-rating/

Your definition of "very good" might be different than their's.

I couldn't see any reason why they'd be rated any lower than "very good", according to their definition, if you refer to the link to my ad. And, I also can't see any reason why they'd even give a trade-in estimate for a condition higher than that on a 15+ year old set of irons, unless their intention was to slightly mislead.

I couldn't see any reason why they'd be rated any lower than "very good", according to their definition, if you refer to the link to my ad. And, I also can't see any reason why they'd even give a trade-in estimate for a condition higher than that on a 15+ year old set of irons, unless their intention was to slightly mislead.

They usually have to be pretty trashed to get lower than pretty good. I think you'll be fine

I too have traded in with them and had great results. They actually forgot to add on my additional "50%" and I emailed them about it and got a response the next day saying they had credited me the additional amount along with a $25 gift card. They've got a customer for life.

I would just call them to make sure. I have bought/traded several times with Global Golf with good success. You just have to make sure you purchase the same you trade in clubs for it to attach to the purchase.

Back