Should I switch to graphite?

Plinyyounger

Magistrate Ancient Rome
Reaction score
Handicap
fake peopl
Hi, I am trying to dial in my irons in an effort to help create the most consistent, effortless swing.

i currently use AP2's with dynamic gold s300's. When my swing is in a groove, the clubs perform very well. I was considering switching to a graphite shaft to lessen fatigue and increase consistency. I'm not completely sold on this but I spent some time today with a fitter who recommended graphite in regular flex because of the recent technology changes.

if you have recently changed to or from graphite, or are a fitter, can you give me your opinions?

I am currently a 10, when swinging smooth and not hard I avg about a 93 swing speed. Two degrees up, .50 inch long. My current ball flight is med high when swing well.

ken

Last edited:
Going to one of the best fitting studios in my area tomor after my round to figure it out. Still would like input, but it's cool if there is none.

Personally I think graphite is the way to go. My thoughts are that you can put a lot more tech and consistency into graphite over steel.

Definitely something to consider. The feel,is as good if not better with graphite. The technology is way better. I have a set of graphite coming and will be installed at some point in my irons.

Definitely something to consider. The feel,is as good if not better with graphite. The technology is way better. I have a set of graphite coming and will be installed at some point in my irons.

What specifically made you decide to switch? What shafts did you buy?

im real close to getting into single digits, I'll take any help I can get, lol.

ken

I don't swing anywhere near as fast as you do, but decided to try graphite as I had some elbow and wrist issues.

Love what I have, and don't think I am missing anything by switching to graphite. More often than not they are more expensive than their steel counterparts, but my pain is gone (some of that is probably due to the graphite, more with some swing changes) and would recommend anyone to try them out and see if it works for you.

I am not sure switching to graphite is going to get you to single all by itself. I've enjoyed having graphite in my irons - it is easier on the body and the technology is solid.

Just going to a lighter shaft may help with Fatigue. I switched to Modus3 120s which are about 6 grams lighter than the s300 but don't really take anywhere the effort to load them and I'm never fatigued at the end of a round. I have a set of irons with recoils in them and I just don't know that they are for me. If you are going to a fitter just try everything. And keep an open mind about all clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made the switch to graphite in my irons about 6 months ago. The switch was mainly due to health issues (arthritis in my upper arms). Aside from yielding a little less vibration, I don't know that I could tell the difference between them and lightweight steel (which is what I was playing for about the previous 3 years) in a blind swing test. The arthritis had me sidelined about half of last year and I have had no real flare ups with it on the course since I made the switch so it was definitely worth it to be. I put them in my wedges also. As far as a regular flex for a 115 swing speed, that sounds a little suspect to me. I go about 95 with my driver and play stiff. The stiffness of the graphite shafts I play feels right in line with the stiff flex steel shafts I had played for the previous 30 years.

Should I switch to graphite?

My iron play improved when I switched to graphite. Don't see my myself reverting back to steel any time soon....

ccd3b787e05763b209b7ebdfee8d0420.jpg

What specifically made you decide to switch? What shafts did you buy?

im real close to getting into single digits, I'll take any help I can get, lol.

ken

i have recoil 95 stiff(f4 flex) shafts coming. I currently play kbs tour stiff which are 120g. The feel, launch and technology in the graphite is unbelievable. It wasn't until I actually hit some that really convinced me. I have played with other THPers who hit the ball farther and swing faster that played similar shafts and that got me thinking then watching several of the videos and interviews THP did with different oem that really had n considering. Graphite nowadays isn't what it was in years past.

I went from Nippon 1150gh s flex to steelfiber i110 s flex and really struggled. then I went to a fitter to see what would be better, and after hitting a few different shafts (including recoil that didn't work for me), we went with steelfiber i95 r that was a monster on the sim but a loser on the course. I'm now back to steel dg pro r300 and loving it. I'm in my mid 30s, have a slower ss than you, am not in great shape, but don't find distance losses from fatigue more from losing concentration and making poor swings.

my graphite experience is over. obviously different strokes for different folks. just not for me at this time.

To the op, switching to graphite in itself won't achieve what you're looking for. It's a good move, for some and you might be in that group. But consistent play comes from practice nor switching shafts. You want less fatigue, swing the club less. Practice, yes we are talking about practice

I switched to carbon in my 7&8 irons ( MX19's,longest irons I play). Worked fine, swing weight the same as my G20's. The lighter shafts helped me with long irons. But didn't work with the short irons. Way inconsistant with 9-G. Feel is good and helped my hands. May have the Mizzy'd upped a little in swing weight and retry them.

I noticed a big difference in felt swing weight rather than static weight. Easier to swing as others have mentioned. That's what has me off, my tempo is off on the short irons. Helped my hands and elbows, the search continues.

Mark Shuman

To the op, switching to graphite in itself won't achieve what you're looking for. It's a good move, for some and you might be in that group. But consistent play comes from practice nor switching shafts. You want less fatigue, swing the club less. Practice, yes we are talking about practice

Yep, I understand I need to practice, and I do with regularity. But can you tell me from a Pro Instructors standpoint, how I could benefit from great quality graphite vs steel?

thanks in advance!

ken

I went from Nippon 1150gh s flex to steelfiber i110 s flex and really struggled. then I went to a fitter to see what would be better, and after hitting a few different shafts (including recoil that didn't work for me), we went with steelfiber i95 r that was a monster on the sim but a loser on the course. I'm now back to steel dg pro r300 and loving it. I'm in my mid 30s, have a slower ss than you, am not in great shape, but don't find distance losses from fatigue more from losing concentration and making poor swings.

my graphite experience is over. obviously different strokes for different folks. just not for me at this time.

Great input, thanks!

I switched from S300 XP95'S in my Apex irons to UST Recoil670's, and to Recoil 110's in my wedges. Best golfing decision I have made. I'm pretty confident my scoring will continue to improve as I'm not getting fatigued towards the end of the round. When I'd get fatigued, my swing would suffer. Not so much now.

Haven't really noticed any difference in ball flight or distance, even with the wedges. But my wrists and elbows are very thankful.

I was a KBS guy for the last few years trying C Taper and C Taper light and the Tour 90 and had fairly good results with all of them but quite a lot of pain with the C Tapers. Tried the Aerotech 110 in Stiff which was a huge mistake (too stiff) and settled on the Aerotech 95 in Regular, this shaft works well for me. No pain in the elbows or wrist anymore and when I do things right better distance and dispersion.

But I am fully on board with Mr. Panda that most of the problems I have are from lack of correct practice, the misses are mostly from poor setup / alignment or just plain screwing up when there is no need too. Missing greens from 120-150 yds from good fairway lies is just poor execution on my part and no shaft or club can fix that.

DG S300's are old school heavy/stiff so even just trying out some 110g KBS TourV or C-Taper Lites is going to feel like graphite to you. You didn't mention how old you are.

I can't believe I was still playing DG S300's in my Titleist DCI 762's well into 2008, when I was 40 years old. Moved to some 105gram Nippon shafts that came with my Cobra FP's and it felt great and have no desire for heavy shafts in even my wedges anymore.

Last edited:
I'm switching from KBS Tour X shafts to UST Recoil 125 stiff shafts. I don't have them installed yet, but tried them out a month ago or so. I saw the same ball flight I'm used to with good strikes, but the Recoils felt smoother to me. It may only be because of the 6 gram weight difference between the shaft model as I was trying the 6 iron in F5/X. I went with the F4's over the F5's because while I can swing an iron as fast as 95 mph, I don't do it every time and am closer to a 90 mph average. I feel like I don't have to swing as hard with stiff shafts to get good results. And the F4's are even slightly lighter than the F5's. Any other benefit, like the shafts being easier on the joints, is a bonus.

Yep, I understand I need to practice, and I do with regularity. But can you tell me from a Pro Instructors standpoint, how I could benefit from great quality graphite vs steel?

thanks in advance!

ken
I think in the long run, graphite will be easier on your joints. you might pick up some.club head speed but that's about it

Back