Srixon Z 545 Irons Preview

New here at THP ... i've read most of this thread .. well, maybe 1/3 of it .. some pretty convincing testimony here. No dealers close by carry Srixon, so I bit the bullet and ordered some z545's from TGW .. expected to ship 6/1/15 or so, we'll see. Not having had the chance to demo them, I figured TGW's offering of 90-day mulligan for custom clubs was well worth trying out without pre-hitting. I prefer graphite and went with UST Recoil 670's. Worst case scenario is that if I can't hit 'em, then I'll trade for some Ping G30's. Hope to be hitting them sooner than June .. keeping eye on shipping process. BTW, bunch of wackos in THP .. :banana: ... my kinda peeps
Update .. My custom Z545's ordered 05/04, scheduled to ship 06/17/15 .. The agonizing wait continues .. Meanwhile, might go and test some G30's

Have fun with them ddec. I think you're going to have some success. Other than the 7 iron of course.

Really interesting to read your thoughts on these two sets as they are both at the top of my ponder list.

I may be wrong but I think I read somewhere you have similar specs to me.

1/2 to 3/4 long and 2 degrees upright?

Just letting you know :)

SaA

The more I play these the better they perform. Loving these irons

The more I play these the better they perform. Loving these irons

I feel the same way. I've been playing them since late February and the more I play them, the more dialed in they get. I will say that I'm not to fond of the grips, may have to change them out.

I feel the same way. I've been playing them since late February and the more I play them, the more dialed in they get. I will say that I'm not to fond of the grips, may have to change them out.

as much as I like the red Lamkin UTx I have been considering putting my masters green UTx on there. I like the UTx.

as much as I like the red Lamkin UTx I have been considering putting my masters green UTx on there. I like the UTx.

I'm thinking of regripping them with SS red or gray. Right now Golf Galaxy has free regripping with purchase until July 4th.

Thanks jlukes... I've just got to do a little fitting for lie angle etc and then they will be on order. I can't wait to let u guys know how they go. The standard Nippon steel shaft seems the best for me. Only can compare to DG r300 and its way too heavy. How does the Nippon compare to other shafts in testing for others? I don't really have a choice but interested to hear thoughts

I'm thinking of regripping them with SS red or gray. Right now Golf Galaxy has free regripping with purchase until July 4th.

Nice. Some good feedback on the SS on here iirc. I am considering Lamkin warp tech but that's going to be dependent on six4three5 feedback from Lamkin on issue he is seeing. The ndmc are still some of my favorites.

Thanks jlukes... I've just got to do a little fitting for lie angle etc and then they will be on order. I can't wait to let u guys know how they go. The standard Nippon steel shaft seems the best for me. Only can compare to DG r300 and its way too heavy. How does the Nippon compare to other shafts in testing for others? I don't really have a choice but interested to hear thoughts

I tried all manner of shafts before I got them, the XP95s felt really good, balanced. It was very close between the Nippon and the XP though. At the end of the day, I chose feel for the XP, but my numbers with the Nippon were identical. Might have been the ol' seat of the pants dyno though.

Two rounds completed with these now, both in blustery conditions and I have shot a nett +5 and a nett +1 with both rounds including penalty shots due to lost balls. I have almost decided that I am going to add the 4i to the bag as I hit the 5i a few times today and it just felt amazingly easy

I really wish I had been able to get my hands on these earlier.....

Ordered the AW from Atomicgolf, will need a SF re-shaft but can't wait to get it...

Do the longer irons seem intimidating at all? I'm used to plenty of thickness and offset in my pings.. Geez they look amazing in hand tho.

Do the longer irons seem intimidating at all? I'm used to plenty of thickness and offset in my pings.. Geez they look amazing in hand tho.

Based on my short time with them.....no, definitely not

I pulled the 5i for a par 3 that was playing around 170yds, but into a strong headwind and put the ball pin high just off the right side of the green

I have hit the 5i a few times now, and each time it has done what I wanted it to do so I am almost certain I will be adding the 4i soon

I had the Nippon in the Rocketblez and rally liked it. To me it had much more feel than TT speedstep (the only other light weight shaft I had at the time). It was much lighter than the DG as you mentioned which I had just recently moved from.

I strongly considered it for my current set had I not gone with graphite. My iron swing speed is in the upper 70's (not very fast) if that gives you an idea.

Welcome to THP.

Not once you take a few swings with them. I've probably hit more good shots with the 5i than I have some of the other clubs.

I had the Nippon in the Rocketblez and rally liked it. To me it had much more feel than TT speedstep (the only other light weight shaft I had at the time). It was much lighter than the DG as you mentioned which I had just recently moved from.

I strongly considered it for my current set had I not gone with graphite. My iron swing speed is in the upper 70's (not very fast) if that gives you an idea.

Welcome to THP.

My iron ss with the 7i was low 70's. So that's slower again than yours. Graphite just feels wwwaaayyy too light for me and I get lost in the swing with no rhythm. Thanks for the welcome and all the thoughts. I should've done this ages ago.

Really interesting to read your thoughts on these two sets as they are both at the top of my ponder list.

I may be wrong but I think I read somewhere you have similar specs to me.

1/2 to 3/4 long and 2 degrees upright?

Just letting you know :)

SaA

1/2" long and 3 up sir.

Anyone gone from 714 ap2 to these?

Hawk I've noticed that in ur WITB, u play a 5 hybo and the z545 5i. Apart from possibly hitting the hybrid higher, is one longer than the other? I could be wrong but they're both listed at 24 deg. I play a 4h and a 4i currently simply cause I hit them different distances and trajectories but the z545 4i is actually 1 deg stronger than my 4hybrid.. Don't know whether to just get 5-AW or 4-AW... Thoughts? Has anyone else had the same query?

Hawk I've noticed that in ur WITB, u play a 5 hybo and the z545 5i. Apart from possibly hitting the hybrid higher, is one longer than the other? I could be wrong but they're both listed at 24 deg. I play a 4h and a 4i currently simply cause I hit them different distances and trajectories but the z545 4i is actually 1 deg stronger than my 4hybrid.. Don't know whether to just get 5-AW or 4-AW... Thoughts? Has anyone else had the same query?
I've had a similar setup with the last few iron sets I've had. The hybrid has a hotter face and longer shaft than the iron with a similar loft, so it will go further. You really can't take a 4 hybrid and just plug it in after your 5 iron, or a 3 hybrid and plug it in after your 4 iron, anymore. It's all about gapping and a big reason why many manufacturers simply stamp the Lofts on hybrids now rather than a number like 3 or 4.

Big shout out to mpeterson. He offered to send me his irons to demo them for a few weeks. They arrived yesterday. Now I wish I wasn't going away for the long weekend.

Back