So, did Sergio move his ball?!

I think its completely ridiculous that people continue to try and affect the outcome of these tournaments. I really hope that somebody puts a stop to this nonsense. Who cares if the ball moved it didn't affect anything! I am so glad they got it right.

I'm not sure how anyone looking at that video doesn't see the ball do something (sink down). Regardless, and to echo what's already been said, if anything his lie got worse due to its oscillation. The right "no call" was made.

I don't see anything.

Same here, I must be going blind, but I've watched it about 10 times now and I still don't see it move.

If the ball did move, there was definitely no advantage gained. Regardless, the ruling was made, and play continued. End of story.

The rules officials reviewed the complaint and made the correct call IMO.

The NBA has it right - they simply do not accept any fan emails and/or calls regarding missed calls. There isn't a single game played where multiple rule infractions are missed. An NBA game would be impossible to watch if every possible infraction was reviewed due to a possible missed calls. This madness in the PGA just has to stop for the good of the game.

I'm not even going to look at it, because I don't care. Even if it moved, there is no way in the sphincter of Hell that it affected the shot in any discernible manner. The right call was made.

I can KIND OF understand obsessing over it when it comes to ball marking on the green, because a fraction of an inch actually can mean making a putt vs not, but even in Lexi's case, the movement was so small that I can't see it affecting the way she approached that putt at all.

Every governing body in golf needs to put the kibbosh on spectator call ins and rely on the officials' judgments.

Right call was made.

They need to just quit taking emails and phone calls. Ridiculous that they let these armchair officials even tempt them to affect the outcome of an event. Let them play!

Absolutely it moved, and he should have been penalized for it.

Yea he did move it and technically yes it was a penalty. But I think billy Payne and committee said they were not about to ostracized for a rule infraction and decided to turn the other cheek. Regardless of whether you think the movement of the ball was made worse or not, it doesn't matter; causing your ball to move is a penalty.

Personally, however, I'm happy they decided to ignore it. I'm happy for Sergio and I loved watching the drama unfold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may have moved a hair but I think when the ball is in the needles a little forgiveness on this rule is needed, a footstep many inches away can move the needles and affect the ball, and a player does have to play the game, so no penalty here.

Yea he did move it and technically yes it was a penalty. But I think billy Payne and committee said they were not about to ostracized for a rule infraction and decided to turn the other cheek. Regardless of whether you think the movement of the ball was made worse or not, it doesn't matter; causing your ball to move is a penalty.

Personally, however, I'm happy they decided to ignore it. I'm happy for Sergio and I loved watching the drama unfold.

is this conjecture, or did billy payne actually address the situation and say this? fwiw i think that's probably how it went down too, i just haven't seen anything where the committee confirmed it. and i also agree with you: he moved it, it should have been a penalty, but i'm fine with it not being a penalty and i'm happy for him that he won.

Must not have. He seems to be wearing a green jacket.

Nah, I don't think he did.

I do not think that the ball moved, and came to rest in another position.

The ruling, and review, was correct.

Something caused the ball to move, and i think it was him, but i agree with the ruling. It didnt move enough to see at first glance, it didnt improve his lie and it wasnt intentional. Play on

OMG! What did it move, half a dimple? That it would even be discussed show's just how ridiculous golf can be.

There would have to be a lot better video of it than that for me to make that decision.

~Rock

Something caused the ball to move, and i think it was him, but i agree with the ruling. It didnt move enough to see at first glance, it didnt improve his lie and it wasnt intentional. Play on

i'll say again, i'm fine with what the committee decided. of those 3 factors, i agree that not moving enough at first glance is the one i'm on board with. the other two are problematic for me given the current wording of 18-2. using subjective factors such as whether the movement improved the lie or whether it was intentional leaves a lot of gray area. but the game is about integrity, so maybe leaving gray area for the player to police himself is a good thing after all.

Ball moves downward in a sea of pine needles, world explodes.

None of this makes me want to watch golf.

i think the world would have exploded if the penalty had been called and sergio had lost another major when he was so close. but with no call, i don't think the world exploded and i feel like everybody is celebrating sergio's victory. granted, i wasn't on twitter at all yesterday so not sure what was being said.

is this conjecture, or did billy payne actually address the situation and say this? fwiw i think that's probably how it went down too, i just haven't seen anything where the committee confirmed it. and i also agree with you: he moved it, it should have been a penalty, but i'm fine with it not being a penalty and i'm happy for him that he won.

No lol unfortunately this is just my assumption. And I guarantee they'll never comment on it.

The ball did move a little bit.
1) I don't care at all.
2) this is why you have rules officials with groups. Just like refs on the court, it is over and done with the second they make a ruling.
3) some people on the internet need to get a life.

A question in my mind...how many professionals viewing the "camera angle" movement of their own ball and their actions in live play would call the penalty on themselves? I believe a vast majority would and have in that situation in the past. (I know Sergio's perspective was much different from that of the camera, and I am not suggesting he saw any movement himself. However the Masters rules committee had access to the camera perspective.)

These armchair / call in fans have to stop....they are killin me and the game

Not that I care, but I still don't see a thing!

Back