Keeping punch shots low help

PizzaBear

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
I've been trying to hit some punch shots, I put the ball back in my stance and keep my swing short.

This keeps the ball lower than my normal shots but still going 12ft high which is easily high enough for trees to be a problem

Any tips or tricks to keep it lower?

Moved to Swing Tips so Freddie can see it.

I've been trying to hit some punch shots, I put the ball back in my stance and keep my swing short.

This keeps the ball lower than my normal shots but still going 12ft high which is easily high enough for trees to be a problem

Any tips or tricks to keep it lower?

What club are you using for these shots?

The key to keeping these low is low hands through impact. We aren't trying to hit down but keep the club head low and aggressive through impact. Middle of your stance is a good ball position for these shots.

The key to keeping these low is low hands through impact. We aren't trying to hit down but keep the club head low and aggressive through impact. Middle of your stance is a good ball position for these shots.

I'll try to focus on that more

The one thing I have to remember, is to make the decision to take the knock down and not try the hero, hit a tree and have it come back to my feet. lol

I try to slap at the ball, with a short back swing and a very cut-off follow through. I need to be able to hit this shot. A lot.

This actually worked pretty well for me last Sunday. I usually use my driver because it's the only thing I can keep reasonably low. I used my 3H because it was a shot that I had to make go quite a distance but still keep low, and it stayed under the branches and ended up pin high on the green. It worked so well I did it again and it worked out almost as well, it just ended up barely over the green just in the rough.

Low hands are key! Also - it's much easier to close down the face and hit a low punch hook than it is to hit a low punch slice.

Thanks for posting this PB- something I definitely need to work on.

Low hands are key! Also - it's much easier to close down the face and hit a low punch hook than it is to hit a low punch slice.

I can hit either on command. Just hold the face for a low cut. Release for a draw or straight shot.

If you are hitting the shot solely to escape tree trouble I have a shot that I play with really high rate of success. I use this more when I need to hit a low shot, but I have wide open fairway and I want it to chase up if possible.

I take either my 3 or 4 hybrid and grip all the way down till my bottom hand is on the graphite. I can practically hit a full shot this way that never gets over 10ft off the ground and launches super low. I think it is because gripping down that low has the effect of stiffing the shaft but I am just guessing. Its something to play around with and something I only use to escape trouble but it has served me really well.

I also hit punch shots with my irons, in the exact manor Freddie described. I just thought this was a "trick" I use that you might want to try.

This actually worked pretty well for me last Sunday. I usually use my driver because it's the only thing I can keep reasonably low. I used my 3H because it was a shot that I had to make go quite a distance but still keep low, and it stayed under the branches and ended up pin high on the green. It worked so well I did it again and it worked out almost as well, it just ended up barely over the green just in the rough.

That was going to be my suggestion also. I've had some success using my hybrid for a punch shot more than other clubs.

My problem with this shot is, more than not, I hit it fat. Or slide completely under it off pine needles.

My problem with this shot is, more than not, I hit it fat. Or slide completely under it off pine needles.

How do you slide under pine straw with a straight fave club?

That was going to be my suggestion also. I've had some success using my hybrid for a punch shot more than other clubs.

Hybrids are designed to launch high. You'd almost have to have your hands too far forward to deloft it enough

How do you slide under pine straw with a straight fave club?

Well, not under it from beside the fairway; several inches behind it then. Under it with a wedge from up close. I think it's the same problem.

Hybrids are designed to launch high. You'd almost have to have your hands too far forward to deloft it enough

I play this shot almost exclusively with my hybrids, unless I am close to the green. The way I get around de-lofting, is to grip way down making it much harder to launch high.

Just something that works really well for me.

curious about the ball location. Couple years ago I saw...might have been Breed, might have been Hull, might have been one of their guests, I honestly don't remember...say choke down to where touching the metal, put the ball well back in stance and almost a putting type motion. I tried it and it worked really well, kept the ball super low and with a really penetrating flight. A couple times it has gotten too much air and I always notice the ball was further forward in my stance and elevates too much.

With that said, the program was a while ago and I clearly could have mis-remembered it, and I have seen no reason to disagree with your guidance on things as you clearly are very, very sharp on the golf swing. This leads me to believe I am doing something incorrectly that the something else I do incorrectly covers....

curious about the ball location. Couple years ago I saw...might have been Breed, might have been Hull, might have been one of their guests, I honestly don't remember...say choke down to where touching the metal, put the ball well back in stance and almost a putting type motion. I tried it and it worked really well, kept the ball super low and with a really penetrating flight. A couple times it has gotten too much air and I always notice the ball was further forward in my stance and elevates too much.

With that said, the program was a while ago and I clearly could have mis-remembered it, and I have seen no reason to disagree with your guidance on things as you clearly are very, very sharp on the golf swing. This leads me to believe I am doing something incorrectly that the something else I do incorrectly covers....

You may just be hitting down on the ball on those occasions. This will impart spin and launch the ball a bit higher. The idea is to keep the club low through the ball as long as possible. Your divot is super shallow and short.

I used to really struggle with this shot too.

I now treat it as a chip shot. Feet close together, ball in the center and just play the same shot as if you are chipping from 10ft from the green. I can now keep a 7 iron down to about 8ft from 100 yards...

Low punch for me is with a hybrid and keeping my hands low with ball in middle of my stance. works out well for me. I hate punching out with an iron. I always seem to hit it too high or not hard enough to get out of the tree trouble. But with hybrid my miss hit punch shot still comes out of the trees far enough to alleviate the trouble.

If you are hitting the shot solely to escape tree trouble I have a shot that I play with really high rate of success. I use this more when I need to hit a low shot, but I have wide open fairway and I want it to chase up if possible.

I take either my 3 or 4 hybrid and grip all the way down till my bottom hand is on the graphite. I can practically hit a full shot this way that never gets over 10ft off the ground and launches super low. I think it is because gripping down that low has the effect of stiffing the shaft but I am just guessing. Its something to play around with and something I only use to escape trouble but it has served me really well.

I also hit punch shots with my irons, in the exact manor Freddie described. I just thought this was a "trick" I use that you might want to try.
Sometimes get out of trouble, but a couple of my local courses have shots onto the green that are a lot easier if you can keep it low and run the ball up

Back