Same length golf clubs; Known as 1 Iron Club System...

I designed a set of single length irons, and they worked quite well for a small subsection of golfers. Play everything from the middle of your stance, 5i-PW

For higher club head speeds, the short irons were like hitting moon shots, but for slower club head speeds they are a very nice concept.

I designed a set of single length irons, and they worked quite well for a small subsection of golfers. Play everything from the middle of your stance, 5i-PW

For higher club head speeds, the short irons were like hitting moon shots,
but for slower club head speeds they are a very nice concept.

That's a good point. I guess that means one would have to slow it down for the short clubs and but then its not the same exact swing no longer. Although I wonder if slowing down the same swing for the shorter clubs would be better off than having to bend over further and change the arc as we do know. I just don't know.

In some ways, the arc of the swing does not change whether or not one is bent over.

hmmm, for one thing the arc should be wider as the club gets longer I assume you would agree with that part. But the angle the arc makes its way around our body would be on a different plane depending how bent over we are no? I mean the arc is still part of a circle but I guess just at different angles in relation to the ground so in one sense the same but yet different. . The further over one bends forward the further the arms hang from the body no?

I been thinking about this lately and found this thread.
The would-be arguement? We are supose to swing the same with every club yet how are we supose to technically do that when they are different legnths and weights.?

Things I've read up on. why they are good and why they arent popular. I'm only rleaying what i've read

- Golf clubs use to be the same untill about 80 years ago.

- Reason they went different sizes was because it created a happy medium for different size people for purposes of mass production and sales and therefore the multi legnth and multi swing weighted club sets (or the "one size fits all") sets they now mass produce has become the accepted norm.

- Manufacturers would now have to spend millions in marketing and to try to get pros to use them before they would even gain the due respect and if tiger doesnt use them than why would the general public. We are too tied in to do what the pros do and the pros themselves are too tied in to what the pros before them did.
- stores would have to stock many different legnth sets of "same set" clubs and the manufacturers would have to create them. The whole "one size fits all" thing the way its currentyly done is not econimcal for them to do.

- same legnth , same swing weight, same feel, same evrything for every club as it once was and most importantly the same swing, same arc, same feel.

To be honest it all makes sense to me. We try so hard to take the same consistent swing and yet we are not holding the same club. Once the legnth anmd swing weight changes then the swing itself has been altered. It is no longer consistent. There is no denying that. We battle for consistency and yet we are not swinging consistent clubs. If you think about it you have to admit it works against itself.. So many amateurs have troubles with certain #clubs in thier bag, favor certain ones over others, etc.. We technuically shouldnt do that but we do because they are all a little different. If they were all exactly the same then just perhaps we would be more consistent with the swing.

Very few people will ever do this because its just not the norm and also if the pros dont do it than why should we? Quite frankly I feel the same way but i ask, are we being too nieve and ignorant? Even the pros themselves are human and going to stay with the "norm". And besides too many make too much money otherwise.

Someone mentioned they tried putting the same legnth shafts but what they didnt realize is that they still had different weight in the heads so this would not then be the same. The idea here is same legnth and also same weight and feel.

But anyway i though i'd bring this up again and if I had the money I wouldnt mind buying a set. Just maybe

I own a set of these clubs, they do work fine up to 5 iron for me. (distance gaping etc) that is not the issue with these clubs for me. I have a set sitting in the garage. The problem for me is that they don't feel Like a Ping i20, i25 or a Cleveland 588TT or 588 Altitude (all clubs I have gamed since the 1iron) and they don't perform any better. Honestly if they put the quality feel and performance of something like a Cleveland Altitude hyron in these matched MOI single length--it would be incredible for the average weekend golfer. In my opinion they don't match what the newer clubs have in terms of forgiveness, feel, and performance.

I have tried a couple of clubs being equal length (6,8,9), I didn't love it, but I can understand that some on would. I just don't benefit from it.

I'm interested in trying the same length in the 5-7 using a 7i length. How would that affect the distance gaps?

I'm interested in trying the same length in the 5-7 using a 7i length. How would that affect the distance gaps?

Dechambeau says 4* = 12 yards (for him)

It was interesting hearing him talk about and then seeing the breakdown of his swing on the Golf Channel. It's not something I have any interest in trying as it seems he has designed his swing to fit the system and I don't feel like making major changes to my swing.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he changed his swing to fit a system. I think it was the opposite...he came up with a set of clubs to fit his swing. Dechambeau has a pretty steep swing plane, so all of his irons have a high lie angle to match it. That's really the point of the same length clubs system, is to be able to use just one swing for all of your irons. I heard Bryson say that one of the benefits is he only needs to use 1 iron on the driving range to practice his swing....if he can swing it well then he will swing all of his irons well.

I am really intrigued by this concept, but I'm not impressed with the 1 Iron Golf clubs, and I don't have access to a clubhead manufacturer to work with me on it (Dechambeau got a lot of help from the guys at Edel Golf). I wish there was a convenient way to get fitted and try it out. I am tempted to order a set from 1 Iron and take advantage of their 30 day return policy.

For the people suggesting you just cut down your long irons to 7 iron length, that really isn't good enough. You would also need to adjust the lie angle of your longer irons to match your 7, and increase the head weight (conventional iron heads decrease in weight as the loft decreases, to counterbalance the longer shafts). Then you still might need to tweak the loft angles by a degree or 2, which could mess up your bounce. You will notice that both 1 Iron and Dechambeau's custom sets have 4* gaps between the irons, while conventional sets usually have 3* gaps between the longer irons.

I think it makes a lot of sense, and I really don't think you would lose distance in the longer irons. Sure, you would be swinging your 3 iron 5 or 6 mph slower, but that should be offset by the heavier head weight and the stronger loft. Throw in the theory that you would hit the center of the clubface more consistently, and your average 3 iron distance could actually increase! I'm still not sure I swing fast enough for a 19* 3 iron to be effective, but I carry a 5 wood anyways, so I would probably stop with the 4 iron.

I am more concerned with the shorter irons being increased in length to match my 7 iron. That just seems weird, especially for wedges. I am already pretty consistent with my short irons and wedges, and adding length is not going to improve that consistency. You would have to really buy in to the theory that having just 1 swing for every iron is beneficial in order to go that route. I'm not concerned about hitting my short irons too long, I'm just concerned about losing consistency at that end of the bag. There is no way I would set up my wedges with that system.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he changed his swing to fit a system. I think it was the opposite...he came up with a set of clubs to fit his swing. Dechambeau has a pretty steep swing plane, so all of his irons have a high lie angle to match it. That's really the point of the same length clubs system, is to be able to use just one swing for all of your irons. I heard Bryson say that one of the benefits is he only needs to use 1 iron on the driving range to practice his swing....if he can swing it well then he will swing all of his irons well.

I am really intrigued by this concept, but I'm not impressed with the 1 Iron Golf clubs, and I don't have access to a clubhead manufacturer to work with me on it (Dechambeau got a lot of help from the guys at Edel Golf). I wish there was a convenient way to get fitted and try it out. I am tempted to order a set from 1 Iron and take advantage of their 30 day return policy.

For the people suggesting you just cut down your long irons to 7 iron length, that really isn't good enough. You would also need to adjust the lie angle of your longer irons to match your 7, and increase the head weight (conventional iron heads decrease in weight as the loft decreases, to counterbalance the longer shafts). Then you still might need to tweak the loft angles by a degree or 2, which could mess up your bounce. You will notice that both 1 Iron and Dechambeau's custom sets have 4* gaps between the irons, while conventional sets usually have 3* gaps between the longer irons.

I think it makes a lot of sense, and I really don't think you would lose distance in the longer irons. Sure, you would be swinging your 3 iron 5 or 6 mph slower, but that should be offset by the heavier head weight and the stronger loft. Throw in the theory that you would hit the center of the clubface more consistently, and your average 3 iron distance could actually increase! I'm still not sure I swing fast enough for a 19* 3 iron to be effective, but I carry a 5 wood anyways, so I would probably stop with the 4 iron.

I am more concerned with the shorter irons being increased in length to match my 7 iron. That just seems weird, especially for wedges. I am already pretty consistent with my short irons and wedges, and adding length is not going to improve that consistency. You would have to really buy in to the theory that having just 1 swing for every iron is beneficial in order to go that route. I'm not concerned about hitting my short irons too long, I'm just concerned about losing consistency at that end of the bag. There is no way I would set up my wedges with that system.

i've read some feedback and reviews on the internet about this system, and pretty much everybody says the same thing: flight is different, but dispersion is too tight. that was a consistent theme i saw in about a half dozen reviews including some feedback from ralph maltby, and echoed by thp member mango smash.

i've read some feedback and reviews on the internet about this system, and pretty much everybody says the same thing: flight is different, but dispersion is too tight. that was a consistent theme i saw in about a half dozen reviews including some feedback from ralph maltby, and echoed by thp member mango smash.

Is that feedback related specifically to the 1 Iron golf system, or to same length golf clubs in general? The reviews I have seen of the 1 Iron golf system are generally quite positive, but I have my own misgivings about those clubs which are echoed by WardF's comments in this thread.

If I was going to try something like this, I would want quality clubheads, and I would want to work with a clubflitter to get the right shafts, lengths, lie angles and lofts for me. It would take quite a commitment that I am neither willing nor able to make.

I think for such a system to really be succesful, the clubs would have to be truly custom like Dechambeau's. Basically, we would return to the old days and work with a clubfitter to make every club in your bag. (Mass production is one of the main reasons we now have variable length irons in the first place).

Is that feedback related specifically to the 1 Iron golf system, or to same length golf clubs in general?

same length in general.

same length in general.

Well, my only comment to that would be what I said above, i.e., you need to make sure the clubhead weights are all the same in order for the system to really work. If you have eight irons that are identical in every respect except for the lofts, then they should all swing the same way, but the ball will go different distances due to the different lofts. 1 Iron goes with 4* gaps between all the lofts, and logically you would think those provide consistent distance gaps from club to club, but I am skeptical. I checked Bryson Dechambeau's lofts, and he actually has bigger gaps in the longer irons....according to one website I found, his lofts are 20, 25, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46, and then his wedges are 50, 55, 60.

Anyway, if one was not getting the distance dispersion they wanted, then just change the lofts around.

I also believe his shafts would have different kick points. I don't think a 7 iron shaft would just fit 3 or a cut down 3 just works even with the adjusted swing weight.

I have my PW, 52, 56 & 60 the same length and it doesn't cause any problems for me at all. Still have about the same gaps in distance

I also believe his shafts would have different kick points. I don't think a 7 iron shaft would just fit 3 or a cut down 3 just works even with the adjusted swing weight.
I think you'd want to have all the same shaft. So if you're building a set around 6i length, you'd order like 11 6i shafts and build your set.

Man I wish I could find the interview from Katrek's show the other night. He talked about shafts, bounce, how they have to add different grinds to every club. It was fascinating.

I have my PW, 52, 56 & 60 the same length and it doesn't cause any problems for me at all. Still have about the same gaps in distance

Yeah, but are they all 7 iron length?

Man I wish I could find the interview from Katrek's show the other night. He talked about shafts, bounce, how they have to add different grinds to every club. It was fascinating.

Yes sir. One of the original creators of this type of set is a great friend and a wise man. Hoeffy has laid it all down for me before we tested it out. Didnt work for me at all.

I think you'd want to have all the same shaft. So if you're building a set around 6i length, you'd order like 11 6i shafts and build your set.

Exactly. This is one reason why it is not beneficial to just cut down your existing long irons to 7 iron length. Not only would the clubheads have different weights, but your shafts were probably tipped differently to provide slightly different kickpoints. What you want are dentical shafts and identical heads (except for loft).

No, all PW length.

I golf with someone who has these, actually just noticed these were in his bag last week. He has all the irons set to his 8i length and says the longer irons are definitely easier to hit now, only issues he noticed is the shorter irons 9, PW, GW all fly farther now than his previous set of clubs. He is an older guy so not sure if it would affect a longer hitter more.

I played with the clubs for two summers and liked them. The only reason I moved away from them was that I developed some elbow problems and needed clubs with graphite shafts - which weren't a one club option.

It was interesting hearing him talk about and then seeing the breakdown of his swing on the Golf Channel. It's not something I have any interest in trying as it seems he has designed his swing to fit the system and I don't feel like making major changes to my swing.

The interesting thing about his swing is that it's a single plane swing: he very much appears to use the same mechanics as the great Moe Norman did. Moe Norman advocates are VERY excited to see this kid doing so well.

Here's their analysis of his swing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCU7Wsdz6Q0

Back