New Taylor Made Drivers at Riviera?

crazydog

Reaction score
Handicap
Who was gaming the Super Tri and Burner Superfast at Riviera? I am curious who ditched the old R9 and Burner Drivers?

There are quite a few Supertri at Rivera like at the Hope. Dustin Johnson has the Burner Superfast in play.

There is a big difference in the SuperTri that I don't like...

It is too big.

The Superquad was a good club, compact like the R9/R9 TP, but the nice cool colors.

Basically, the SuperTri is an R9 460, with the adjustable lie/face.

I can't stand the look of the R9 460, and I don't think I could even adjust to the SuperTri...personal preference I guess.

The R9 460 also has an adjustable face, but I believe you are probably referring to the MWT rather than the face. There actually is quite a bit of difference between the R9 460 and the Super Tri. Face depth, metals, etc... I have hit both side by side and the only thing they seem to have the same is the size. The rest seems very different to me.

Last edited:
I am looking at the complete list of players from Taylormade that are playing TM Drivers.

Matt Bettencourt - Burner Super Fast
Michael Bradley - R9 Super Tri
Jason Day - Burner Super Fast
Luke Donald - R9 Super Tri
Nathan Green - R9 Super Tri
Steve Lowry - R9 Super Tri
George McNeil - R9 Super Tri
Jeff Overton - R9 Super Tri
Greg Owen - R9 Super Tri
Brenden Pappas - R9 Super Tri
Pat Perez - R9 Super Tri
DA Points - R9 Super Tri
Jeff Quinney - Burner Super Fast
Chez Reavie - R9 Super Tri
Andres Romero - R9 Super Tri
Justin Rose - R9 Super Tri
Rory Sabbatini - Burner Super Fast
Kevin Stadler - R9 Super Tri
Mike Weir - R9 Super Tri

Interesting is according to Taylormade Dustin Johnson had the original R9 in play not the Burner Super Fast.

There is a big difference in the SuperTri that I don't like...

It is too big.

The Superquad was a good club, compact like the R9/R9 TP, but the nice cool colors.

Basically, the SuperTri is an R9 460, with the adjustable lie/face.

I can't stand the look of the R9 460, and I don't think I could even adjust to the SuperTri...personal preference I guess.

imo, the SuperTri isn't even remotely close to the R9 460. I don't usually go toward the TMAG equipment until the R9 3-wood came along. Then I got a chance to hit the SuperTri (albeit indoors).....but...

SuperTri is the real deal.

imo, the SuperTri isn't even remotely close to the R9 460. I don't usually go toward the TMAG equipment until the R9 3-wood came along. Then I got a chance to hit the SuperTri (albeit indoors).....but...

What did you like about the SuperTri?...sound?....feel?

What did you like about the SuperTri?...sound?....feel?

firstly...the look is stellar. very Titleist'esque. the sound and feel get high high marks from me. while i don't particularly care for the ability to adjust the face angle and such....when i found the setting i liked....it was gold. i'd prefer an epoxy'd option. the stock shaft is decent feeling. i need something lower launching but my numbers were acceptable.

i can't make a def. choice until i can get one in real time on the range/course....but it's a contender.

I wonder what made Quinney, Sabbatini, and Day switch to the Superfast? Were they looking for a lighter driver? I wonder what drew them to switch.

The R9 460 also has an adjustable face, but I believe you are probably referring to the MWT rather than the face. There actually is quite a bit of difference between the R9 460 and the Super Tri. Face depth, metals, etc... I have hit both side by side and the only thing they seem to have the same is the size. The rest seems very different to me.

Other than materials, it's obvious if all TM did was change the color and shape, it would be silly.

That is your opinion.

I can't stand it. The new Titleist offerings, can't stand them either.

There is no doubt the club is getting hyped up some by the tour pro's, so their sponsor is happy and they are playing the newest stuff. As long as their stats don't DROP (swing/ballspeed), and they can stomach the look of a club, they will play it.

The way I think about it, is how can you increase ballspeed (5-6mph) so easily, while staying within USGA specs? TM continues to bring out new drivers every year, if not more, and keep saying that each is superior to it's predecessor. I just don't get it...seriously :)

Other than materials, it's obvious if all TM did was change the color and shape, it would be silly.

That is your opinion.

I can't stand it. The new Titleist offerings, can't stand them either.

There is no doubt the club is getting hyped up some by the tour pro's, so their sponsor is happy and they are playing the newest stuff. As long as their stats don't DROP (swing/ballspeed), and they can stomach the look of a club, they will play it.

The way I think about it, is how can you increase ballspeed (5-6mph) so easily, while staying within USGA specs? TM continues to bring out new drivers every year, if not more, and keep saying that each is superior to it's predecessor. I just don't get it...seriously :)

Have you actually tried the driver? It is almost a complete 180 from that of the 460. Calling them the same like you did before is just not accurate. As for Titleist "new offerings", I am not sure what you mean. They have not put out a new driver since the 909 series and that was about 6 months ago.

Have you actually tried the driver? It is almost a complete 180 from that of the 460. Calling them the same like you did before is just not accurate. As for Titleist "new offerings", I am not sure what you mean. They have not put out a new driver since the 909 series and that was about 6 months ago.

I hit a proto version of it, which was supposed to be the exact same as the model released to the pros. Tried it up here when a TM rep had one. I just didn't like it.

As for the Titleist, their NEWEST offerings, I didn't mean they had a new driver.

I was just stating that I consider them the same club. Not saying they are. If that's how it sounded, I apologize.

I am looking at the complete list of players from Taylormade that are playing TM Drivers.

Matt Bettencourt - Burner Super Fast
Michael Bradley - R9 Super Tri
Jason Day - Burner Super Fast
Luke Donald - R9 Super Tri
Nathan Green - R9 Super Tri
Steve Lowry - R9 Super Tri
George McNeil - R9 Super Tri
Jeff Overton - R9 Super Tri
Greg Owen - R9 Super Tri
Brenden Pappas - R9 Super Tri
Pat Perez - R9 Super Tri
DA Points - R9 Super Tri
Jeff Quinney - Burner Super Fast
Chez Reavie - R9 Super Tri
Andres Romero - R9 Super Tri
Justin Rose - R9 Super Tri
Rory Sabbatini - Burner Super Fast
Kevin Stadler - R9 Super Tri
Mike Weir - R9 Super Tri

Interesting is according to Taylormade Dustin Johnson had the original R9 in play not the Burner Super Fast.

JB, that is very interesting. I pretty sure he put the Super Fast in play at the Hope but, maybe there is something he didn't like. He did have one of the TM hats that had Burner across the front.

firstly...the look is stellar. very Titleist'esque. the sound and feel get high high marks from me. while i don't particularly care for the ability to adjust the face angle and such....when i found the setting i liked....it was gold. i'd prefer an epoxy'd option. the stock shaft is decent feeling. i need something lower launching but my numbers were acceptable.

i can't make a def. choice until i can get one in real time on the range/course....but it's a contender.

Then when you find your setting epoxy the adapter in.That's what I did.

I hit a proto version of it, which was supposed to be the exact same as the model released to the pros. Tried it up here when a TM rep had one. I just didn't like it.

As for the Titleist, their NEWEST offerings, I didn't mean they had a new driver.

I was just stating that I consider them the same club. Not saying they are. If that's how it sounded, I apologize.

No way are they the same in shape.Not to my eyes anyway.

I'm glad TM switched back to the sp700 metal.I feel it's better for sound and feel

JB, that is very interesting. I pretty sure he put the Super Fast in play at the Hope but, maybe there is something he didn't like. He did have one of the TM hats that had Burner across the front.

According to the company, he did not have it in play there either. Atleast not for the majority of the holes and when their data is taken.

No way are they the same in shape.Not to my eyes anyway.

I'm glad TM switched back to the sp700 metal.I feel it's better for sound and feel

I am with you, I hit both side by side 2 weeks ago and they are completely different. Look, shape, sound, etc....

Back