New gear or solid game, what do you want?

If the question is would I rather spend my money on new clubs or lessons, I'd go new clubs all day. I don't have the time to practice enough to make lessons pay off.
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

i'm with you here. my swing is my swing. i could use some tweaks here and there, but a thorough overhaul means regression and a huge time commitment. at this point of my life, my time on the course is sacred and not as much as i'd like, so i'd rather groove what i got and maximize my fun.

The easy answer is solid game, but ive loved golf the exact same amount no matter how I scored. If i play bad, its better than being at work. If i play good, its just more reason to get excited to play again. But man do i LOVE new and shiny

Well you should believe it, some people believe their games will improve with new gear.

Just like I used to believe my new shoes would make me jump higher and run faster.

Just like I used to believe my new shoes would make me jump higher and run faster.

Well, if the shoes are state-of-the-art Nikes versus the ill-fitting Chuck Taylor's that you got from your older brother back in high school, they might.

Well, if the shoes are state-of-the-art Nikes versus the ill-fitting Chuck Taylor's that you got from your older brother back in high school, they might.

No way!

Solid game every time. Probably one of the reasons I'm typically resistant to changing irons and wedges.

~Rock

I guess you'd know better than me. But the people I personally know that have taken lessons and just casually play, there really hasn't been much improvement. I think it also comes down to who is coaching the player. A lot of people's access to teachers is the local muni with a less than stellar "coach".

There is also an effort factor to the whole lessons side that without that, it won't mean much.

I don't think it's the teacher...sure there are some teachers that can't communicate to their students or the chemistry between student and teacher doesn't work but as far as bad instructors I think that's few and far between. the casual golfer that takes lessons isn't putting in the work afterwards to get better. One of the teachers at my range has a student who takes 2 lessons a week and doesn't practice but plays a couple 9 holes per week and then is back the following week and they pretty much work on the something.

Effort is definitely a role in the lessons and a person will get out what they put in for the most part

I'll assume your stance is reflective of your belief that the Chuck Taylor's are the supreme example of an athletic shoe?

Both. I don't think you have to sacrifice one for the other at all.

Solid Game the last thin I am buying is a new putter because i know that style will help me improve my game otherwise my money is going to lessons.

If I had to choose I'd pick solid game.

But admittedly golf equipment is sort of tied to my enjoyment of golf. I love trying new things, tinkering, swapping and it's just another way to further my enjoyment of everything golf.

Solid game and it's not even close!
If I had a solid game, and was beating people with the best and newest of equipment out there, I wouldn't care if my clubs came from a garage sale.

I do like new clubs though, I would just prefer to have game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering I have never spent money for lessons, yet buy new gear, I'll say new gear.

I'll assume your stance is reflective of your belief that the Chuck Taylor's are the supreme example of an athletic shoe?

Nah. They just exude cool

If I had to choose one, I would take solid game every day of the week.

Right now most of my equipment changes have been about trying to enhance or optimize the equipment for my game, so I am trying to have it be both...

I don't give a fart about new gear. For instance, my driver I bought in like 2003 and it ain't coming out of my bag. You can give me a ballata ball and Persimmon woods if it means I break par every time. And frankly if you bring a solid game every time you play, you'll win some tournaments, which means you can then get new gear with your winnings. :smile-big::smile-big::smile-big:

I would prefer a solid game fa sho.

Solid game...which will eventually lead to new gear!!

If the choice were to play brand spanking new toys and shoot in the 90's or play hickory's from here on out and shoot in the 70's, I would be good with the wood.

Solid game by far. Nobody really cares if you have the shiny/brand new equipment if you're shooting 110.

Solid game for sure. I do like new shiny once in awhile. :D

I'd rather have a solid game any day of the week

Solid game comes first. Now I like new and shiny but I don't see how it will necessarily improve one's game. Unless someone is going from trying to learn with dad's old set of blades to buying a set of SGI/GI.

Alright panda, question back at you. What is this way to buy a solid game?

Get lessons and work in your game. For most it will work. For some there is no hope but most will improve.
:disapointed: I resemble that remark.
There are times when I can't get out of my own way that it sure feels that there's no hope.
If I had to choose one, I would take solid game every day of the week.

Right now most of my equipment changes have been about trying to enhance or optimize the equipment for my game, so I am trying to have it be both...
This is my approach. I'm not a long hitter so I have adjusted my bag until I'm confident that my shot will hold the green from 180 and in.

Lessons alone will not make you magically better. It takes a great deal of practice time to cement the new habits that are being learned during the lessons. When I was a pga member and provided formal instruction many students believed the 30-45 minutes we spent together was all they needed to do to improve. They were constantly discouraged until they spent additional time practicing those new swing thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Amen to that. I experienced the same thing giving lessons. Honestly made me prefer to teach juniors or women. They seemed to understand better and be more willing to work at what they learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back