JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Talking to a gentleman at the airport today about golf equipment and reviewing that takes place. Be it on the THP Forum or in article form, do you like to review golf equipment? Do you think you do it well? Or are you more of you know what you like and end of story?

I enjoy reviewing stuff. I don't mind to give something new a try. I just hope that whatever I share helps someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think for a long time I didn't know why I liked things, but through the exposure I've gotten through THP, I am gaining more knowledge all the time to better articulate why I like or don't like certain equipment.

It's a difficult job reviewing clubs unbiased on its own merits and claims. Personal opinion almost always comes into play. Hard to separate whether or not the club works for you and whether the club's designs really do what they are advertised to do

I enjoy reviewing stuff and trying new things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

I enjoy sharing my experiences with the gear that I've gotten to play. I'm not sure if I do it particularly well but hopefully it's been helpful to someone along the way.

I don't mind reviewing golf equipment. Id like to think I do it well, just try to give descriptions that would actually help me decide on whether I'd want to try out that piece of equipment or not.

Always like trying and review anything Golf. The sport is a passion so it's easy work!

• Admin
It's a difficult job reviewing clubs unbiased on its own merits and claims. Personal opinion almost always comes into play. Hard to separate whether or not the club works for you and whether the club's designs really do what they are advertised to do

For some reason in golf, it is looked at as a negative to have opinion come into play. Of course it does. Half of reviews are subjective despite what is put out online, and it's up to the reader to determine if they enjoy the expertise they get from an outlet. One question I always wonder is if a golfer very much likes a certain type of equipment, can they still review other types and be effective? Or would they even want to?

I've reviewed quite a bit over the years. I really enjoyed it. I think I did a decent job of posting what I liked about the equipment. I will say I likely did not talk too much about what I didn't like. I tended to focus on the positive. I know why I was that way but probably would have been a better reviewer if it's shared equally what I liked and what I didn't like.

I enjoy the act of reviewing clubs (particularly writing about them and the numbers). I know I would have a hard time detaching my biases from certain aspects of a review (I like sleek irons, thin top lines, etc) but when I can get the numbers and write based on objective criteria, I love it. When I have to tell you how, for example, a golf ball "felt" I will fail every time. When I can tell you that my average spin on the GCQuad was 2000 rpm greater with X vs Y, its a treat.

Club Reviewing

I love reading reviews that are done by large groups and I love reviewing equipment. I always like jumping on the forums and getting my thoughts of the round or range session that just ended on paper. I think I do a decent job reviewing but I've never asked anyone about it before

For some reason in golf, it is looked at as a negative to have opinion come into play. Of course it does. Half of reviews are subjective despite what is put out online, and it's up to the reader to determine if they enjoy the expertise they get from an outlet. One question I always wonder is if a golfer very much likes a certain type of equipment, can they still review other types and be effective? Or would they even want to?
Very good question. Knowing that I like low spin drivers, can I truly review a high spin head? Would I want to? I think the answer is no and that eliminates me providing good review on 80%+ clubs out there lol

I LOVE trying out new ideas. Whether that be clubs, balls, a glove.. anything that might help me improve my game. Reviewing a game improvement item is always fun. Being able to pass that info along to others is what it's all about

Very good question. Knowing that I like low spin drivers, can I truly review a high spin head? Would I want to? I think the answer is no and that eliminates me providing good review on 80%+ clubs out there lol

That is an interesting idea of things isn't it. I guess that goes back to reviewing based on club merits vs comparing products.

That is an interesting idea of things isn't it. I guess that goes back to reviewing based on club merits vs comparing products.
Yes it does. That's why it's a tough job to do reviews and THP staff writers are the best out there

See I'm almost the opposite when it comes to testing opportunities. If I feel like I'll honestly be able to dedicate time to the review I'll throw my name in there no matter what it is because no one will know what's best for me better than me. The only reason I had stayed away from equipment testing in the past was I didn't want to play with anything but my Grandaddy equipment

See I'm almost the opposite when it comes to testing opportunities. If I feel like I'll honestly be able to dedicate time to the review I'll throw my name in there no matter what it is because no one will know what's best for me better than me. The only reason I had stayed away from equipment testing in the past was I didn't want to play with anything but my Grandaddy equipment
Yeah pretty much exact opposite. It's the main reason I don't put in for a lot of review opportunities. I know how I am and what I like to play so if it doesn't fit then let another who may truly benefit get the opportunity. Of course all feedback is great in a review, I just feel like I would be a jerk providing feedback based on how it doesn't fit my game. It goes back to again, reviewing based on design and what it claims to do but it's difficult and not for everyone

I love reading and listening to equipment reviews. As a lefty, reviews are important as I can not always test out the equipment that interest me so I buy a lot of equipment without hitting it. So having reviewers that I trust to give me there honest important is a big deal

I enjoy reviewing equipment; however, I haven't done a lot of it.

Reviewing something that may not be the best suited for one's game/swing is a very hard task. Our core of staff reviewers do an outstanding job with this! I would gladly take on the challenge though.

Not reviewing constantly with different types of equipment classes brings a different twist into it. Not saying its a bad twist...just a twist. Reviewing is not about the chance at free equipment...or shouldn't be. It should be about giving a mix of numbers and how those numbers match up to what that equipment is designed for. Keeping a personal opinion out of it comparing to what you game is tough.

Yeah pretty much exact opposite. It's the main reason I don't put in for a lot of review opportunities. I know how I am and what I like to play so if it doesn't fit then let another who may truly benefit get the opportunity. Of course all feedback is great in a review, I just feel like I would be a jerk providing feedback based on how it doesn't fit my game. It goes back to again, reviewing based on design and what it claims to do but it's difficult and not for everyone

So what about something like club clash where you would review multiple drivers, some fit and some don't

So what about something like club clash where you would review multiple drivers, some fit and some don't
Club clash was a bit different. Hit a bunch of drivers on launch monitor, get numbers and give feedback. Choose from a group of drivers that your group had, hit on course and provide feedback. Not a long term review with one club/iron set that doesn't fit your game. Not a long term testing where you are sent clubs to test and keep. I won't lie, I gravitated toward certain drivers at club clash too. Just a natural thing

I do enjoy reviewing equipment and balls. Not sure I do a good job of it and could never be a staff writer anywhere. It is fun though.

Only 3 or 4 people on the forum actually review equipment, the rest of us provide feedback, share our experiences, stay active in threads, answer questions, etc. I like doing the latter quite a bit. I am pretty certain I would enjoy doing actual reviews too, but I recognize it would be different - all references to "I" and my game would exit. It would be fun.

I like reviewing things because I feel I can be unbiased in a lot of it. If it doesn't fit my game, so be it. I can at least share what the clubs, balls or other item is doing. If the driver it too high spin for me, that's perfect because I can share that the driver will help others who need spin or vice versa.

I haven't reviewed much on here. One item I did review was the HyperIce and that was a fun test/review. It just got hard to write anything once the initial thoughts were done. It was a simple piece of equipment and worked just as intended. I still use it at certain times when my knee really acts up.

In my other hobby I've reviewed dozens of items from multiple companies. I would be sent beta equipment and then tell them what I thought and how it all worked. That was a lot of fun!

Back