The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a great time today with Maddog practicing. It was the most fun I've had with the game in a few weeks because of how badly I was struggling. I'm finally getting back to being comfortable over the ball and striking the ball well again. We started at the range for a good hour and a half and ended at the home courses putting green for another hour. He still owes me $6 cuz I whooped him in a little putting match play.

ea85480e508f4a812d4fd39d518bfa65.jpg

Working the gate drill on the putting green.

c8f2e92e9956574b3f7308ff51bfeedf.jpg

I'm back to striking the ball well again and it's such a relief. It's getting fun again to practice on the range.

This was the 5 iron which was probably 15 to 20 balls. I was carrying it 205 consistently.

5c3a09da4c265c57249a0ab0020067d5.jpg

And then I grabbed the Wilson Staff FG17 Tour Blade, took one swing and hit the flag at 150.

447b5be852225488ee12fb73822a6602.jpg

yes you did take $6 bucks from me on the practice green, but i think i was up four on our closest to target game at the range! lol

best shot six4three5 has hit in a long time, 1979 tour blade wilson staff 8 iron, wind blowing about 5-7 mph , left to right, pin was 145 yards, he put a very smoooooth swing on it, nice high ball flight, played it just a little left, wind took it just enough and hit hit the pin, i was impressed!!!!!!!!

Solid range session except for my 3 metal, time to say goodbye to it. Short game was anazing and met a new friend on the practice green. The new friend really enjoyed watching my son hit the balls and said he was a natural with great touch. I hope to get Aaron into golfing more next year pitch and putt style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf lesson. Slightly mind-blowing. Why is it I can always hit my very best shots when my golf instructor is watching, but never when I'm out on the course?!?!

Anyway, he thinks it's absurd that I'm not scoring in the 90's on a regular basis, but the fact of the matter is I don't, so I guess need to assess what I'm doing on course a bit more carefully to solve this mystery.

Good range session today. I hit a small bucket, but only had 2 thinned dribblers. Hit wedges to start, and just did my best to keep the same swing feelings moving over to irons. The dribblers came from my 4i, which I usually hit off the tee, not the turf. Definitely good with how thing went today.

Got a lengthy range session tonight. First 30-40 minutes were spent on the putting green, then moving to the chipping green working on hitting balls out of the bunker and chipping in general.

Made my way over to the range for lesson with Erika, my instructor. Lesson focused early on alignment again and Erika was pleased with where I was compared to the last lesson.

We then moved on to what she felt was the final step of the swing changes we have slowly made over the last year. This change focused on squaring my shoulders towards the target and dropping my back shoulder just a little. Early results had my swing plane a little flatter (away from my head), back elbow tucked and really allowed me to throw my hands to the target.

Erika is figuring out that I have probably never thrown my hands at the target and this change is letting me do just that.

It was uncomfortable at first, but the results towards the end were really exciting. Saw better control with the ball and even increased distance. May struggle for a little while, but I am excited that what these changes are going to do for my swing.

80c7210575399032264ad6fd45468b61.jpg

Getting some swings in over lunch.

895ca32c48ef04f7a1f437bf7ca6eff0.jpg

Couldn't resist. Rubbish, btw

Range session today to work on tempo and shortening backswing in an effort to minimize extra movement and make better contact. Started out working on a tempo drill and the first 15 balls were not pretty buy slowly hit into the flow and had a decent range session by time it was over.

Need to,stay focused on the tempo and not fall into bad habits but I am happy for where the swing is headed.

Spent about 2 hours on the putting green today. Went through my circle until I hit 25 in a row from 3 feet. Then worked on lag putting from 20, 30, and 45 feet. 20 and 30 were pretty good, but I was starting to lose some distance control at 45 feet. Just for kicks when I was done I went through a small bucket, mostly to loosen up after all the putting, and to work on my driver a little.

Worked on short game today. Chipping practice and then a few times through the shag bag from 70 yards and in. It was the first time I've hit the range in a while and it showed.

Had a long range session today, focusing on the clubs that are killing me right now, namely driver and hybrids. Really focused on keeping my weight on the inside of my right foot going back. Helped to make my swing much more rotational, got rid of the sway that made it too easy to cut across the ball. Felt very good by the end, hitting some pretty consistent fades, getting some good distance. Borrowed Gary Player's knee kick-in move to start my swing and help keep my weight inside my right foot. Took a break and did some short game work, focusing on distance and direction control with my wedges before getting back to the driver.

Overall, probably one of the best range sessions I've had in awhile. Hopefully I can put it to work on the course.

Hit 5 balls and thunderstorms rolled in. Can't believe how long people stayed out there hitting. I went inside. When it became apparent it was not stopping, I got a rain check and went home.

Yesterday-

range to work on getting my left hip to clear and not slide forward

Played 18(9 in the rain) couldn't hit drive to save my life was pushing/fading almost everything off the tee, irons were solid though with a "3/4 swing"

Back to the range to work on driver for most of 100 balls got to find the fairway to score.

My miss, especially with PW thru 7-iron is a hook. I pretty much can't even play my 7 bc it is so consistently a club I hook.

Almost exclusively happens when it feels like I just hit the ball pure.

Ive tried changing my grip, but it leads to a fade (when I'm trying to play a draw), or sometimes a slice.

Today, for the first time, I tried keeping my left hand grip the same, but taking a weaker grip with just my right hand, as it felt like that was the wrist that turns over, causing the hook.

Not a single hook after that, and increased consistency and accuracy.

Im going to go back to the range a couple of times today and see if it holds up, or was just a fluke.

Did some short game work in the backyard. Thinned or chunked nearly everything. I packed it up after 15 minutes out of frustration.

Working on not sliding toward the target on my downswing, really focusing on getting a firm left side and hiding the left hip to start the downswing.

I'm getting it with my irons on 80% swings only loosing a club distance wise but better dispersion and target accuracy, but am struggling big time with the big stick.

Had some time yesterday and hit the grass range. Just working on width and a more level shoulder turn.

It was a very constructive session. I liked how I was hitting it and started focusing on a more deliberate wrist hinge, which I think helped me with lag and I was getting more distance and height on my shots, along with crisper contact.

Honestly, grass range will be used so much more now. It's night and day from the mats.

Had some time yesterday and hit the grass range. Just working on width and a more level shoulder turn.

It was a very constructive session. I liked how I was hitting it and started focusing on a more deliberate wrist hinge, which I think helped me with lag and I was getting more distance and height on my shots, along with crisper contact.

Honestly, grass range will be used so much more now. It's night and day from the mats.

I absolutely hate hitting irons from mats, I'm with you on that one.

Earlier this season I started going to a deliberate wrist hinge, I avoided one because I was always getting weak fades when I tried it in the past. Now, though, I'm getting so much more distance plus I have a shorter, more controlled backswing. I hope things keep working out for you!

Lesson today with a new instructor and we're going back to basics. I've been struggling with a two way miss and frustrated with my game. After a few swings on video we changed my grip to put the club more in the fingers of my left hand. This will help me hinge my wrists in the backswing as it is minimal right now. I also need to restrict my lower body movement.

We worked on this drill for about an hour with and without a golf ball. 3/4 backswing with massive wrist hinge and weight moving over to the right post. Here I pause and recognize I'm in a good position to start the downswing with my head over to slightly behind the golf ball. Then slowly start the downswing and ramp up the speed thru the ball holding my finish. The backswing feels awkward because the club is more vertical and in front of me instead of flat and behind me.

Here's the first before and after pic of the backswing. The pic on the right is not full speed but the drill mentioned above. I'm exaggerated on my right side but need that feeling for now.

4cbfedae1c39f600926ff5695976010b.jpg

Here's the downswing head in front of the ball with no wrist hinge and loss of power. Right pic is where I want to be.

28226e2881400aa7e4c9f25fec5fc94f.jpg

Getting closer to impact and I have no lag whatsoever and casting the club. Better job in the drill on the right.

9c2b9a4dc06ae179e327e25ba8ec119a.jpg

Almost at impact and the club is starting to pass my hands. This is awful. Hands out in front doing the drill on the right and where I want to be. Club face was open as I'm not used to being in that position.

0bb5bf60fad30773b43ace296c849240.jpg

I got my work cut out for me but going to do it one piece at a time. I'm tired of having a timing oriented swing and want more consistency. I really liked the instructor and look forward to going back in a few weeks.

After my range session I Hit the practice putting green worked on posture and putting a solid roll on the ball. Also did a little comparing between my z2c and #9 proto rolled both really well. Distance control was good with both and I was sinking short putts equally well this could get interesting since they are very different putters.

Went back out to the range after my putting session to work on the full swing. Hit 3 more buckets concentrating on my stance width, posture, ball position, tempo, turning with shoulders and not my hands. Starting my downswing by bumping my left hip(hiding it behind me) and letting my body follow in sync and releasing the club to the target. This is much easier with my irons than with driver but I'm committed to the change and by the end of the session I was hitting probably 7/10 drivers in the "fairway".

Also spent some time working on distance control and flight info with wedges thru 9iron was fun and had some great success with wedges not so much with PW and 9i

Canes those are huge changes and good on you for taking on the rebuilding, get in tons of quality practice and know there will be bumps in the road and it will be frustrating at times.

Worked on bump & run before today's round, after realizing I hadn't been using it at all (like for months). Tried to incorporate it back into my round today, with mixed results.

I am going to take a drastic step. My practice time lately has been little to none, and I have still been playing rounds on the weekends. My ball striking has taken a step back, strong points of my game have been getting worse. For $100 I can get unlimited range balls, so I am going to avoid playing for 3 weeks (take those funds and put them towards the range membership).

I need reps with my swing, and I need more practice. Hopefully 3 weeks can get my swing back around again.

Got to the range tonight to continue working on what Erika and I started working on Thursday.

Spent the range session only hitting PW, 9 and 8 iron. Worked on keeping my front shoulder closed, while keeping my back shoulder lower and really throwing my hands at the target. Overall the results were decent... Shots were consistently close to my target but ball flight was inconsistent. Caught quite a few low on the face and I think that will get better with practice.

This change may be the toughest Erika has put in front of me and I am going to be spending a lot of time at the range this week.

Rain shortened session today but I did manage to get 50 swings with the new drill and chipped the rest before the storm arrived. Going to do 100 swings tonight at home.

Found a little magic at the range today! My swing and path have felt great lately and I can move the ball both ways, but I have had a miss of overhooking (not the only miss, but most often) the driver in a big way. I can manage it with my setup, but it can still find trouble. GRIP PRESSURE! I think all I was doing was tightening up and closing the face. I started gripping about 30 % lighter and I was back to a beautiful tight draw that flew the back fences at my range by miles! I hit 7 identical in a row, moved onto othe clubs and came back to it with the same results a little later. More lag, better release through the ball and more accuracy and more distance. I have to remember to be conscious of that going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back