Do you ever book a 4 some when your actually a 3 some

AmberLamps

Reaction score
Handicap
Just wondering if anyone books a 4 some when your actually a 3 some, so you don't get some random with your crew? I am fairly new to golf, but it seems like whenever I book a tee time its usually just 2 or 3 of us and I have had some trifling joiners. Also have had some really good joiners, so it works both ways. Just wondering the etiquette factors involved, etc...seeing if there are people out there who purposely try to avoid being paired with randoms.

Nope. Course will likely put a single walk on with us anyway, plus I'd rather play as 4 so we're not constantly waiting on the group in front of us.

I don't leave them booked as a foursome. Had this come up last weekend, had an open spot but couldn't find anybody, so I called the day before and cancelled the fourth spot.

Getting paired with randoms is good, I've played with way more cool people than bad people.

I will always call a day or two bed to let the course know. I've been reduced to a twosome before and it would have been bad for the course and bad for ready golf pace. Plus new golf friends are always a possibility.

If,you don't intend to use the tee time then don't book it. If someone drops out then cancel that tee time as soon as possible. Booking tee times with the intent of not using it is really is rude.

If,you don't intend to use the tee time then don't book it. If someone drops out then cancel that tee time as soon as possible. Booking tee times with the intent of not using it is really is rude.

Obviously, I have always called and cancelled if im not going to make it, and ive never "over booked", was just wondering if there are people out there who do.

For me I am always on a walk on single, but the idea of booking a twosome has crossed my mind. The courses here dislike singles and always give me a hard time when I try and book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a buddy that books most of our rounds that is not a fan of being paired up with strangers. He'll always book for 4 and try to fill it but has no problem getting there and saying one member of our cancelled at the last second and the other is on the way but running late.

I gotta admit I used to be "that guy" that the golf courses hated.

Now that I have to deal with it every day, I should call every course I ever played and apologize.

I hear all the excuses I used to give: The other guys bagged us; Hopefully they'll show up; whatever. I know you are full of it because I've used them all long before you thought you were the first! (I wasn't the first either, even though I thought I was)

We'll pair people up if necessary, especially on weekend mornings, if you are not a foursome. We've had people leave because they couldn't go out as two when it was packed. So the two we were going to pair them up with went out as two instead and waited a lot, or we moved another twosome up a few spots to join them. If you want to play alone, or as a twosome or even a threesome and not be paired up, please don't play on a busy weekend. Any busy time actually.

The thing many people don't realize is that a threesome needs two carts, just like a foursome. There are a finite number of carts at a golf course, and sometimes, some are broken down. A few times a year, we can't send people out, because we are waiting on carts to come back. And on that note, bring your cart back! Don't sit out in the parking lot shooting the breeze for half an hour when it's busy. Someone else needs that cart you're hanging out in!

Firstly, in my area I have to say 90% of golfers are generally friendly and good people. So 9 of 10 for decent company is a great ratio. I'd also say at least half (if not more) of those are usually real friendly and great to be around and usually the day ends with a very sincere "great to play with you, its been a lot of fun" "hope to catch ya next time".

But yes there is that 10% I'd rather not have played with.

Anyway, as for booking? At my local county tracks its a 10 buck pp cancelation fee. And even if you don't care about that, chances are you are ending up with a single anyway especially weekends. During the week is only when you have a decent chance at 3somes. But doing what you speak of is (no offense) but kind of cheezy imo. Tee times and the amount of times the average person has the free time and money to golf is very limited for a very lot of people. Were you actually able to shut out a single just for sake of not wanting company is just kinda bush league if you ask me. Just picture yourself as the single who was shut out and perhaps see what I mean. Personally I wouldn't want to play with any group anyway who sends any vibe that they would rather not have a single join them. I have had that happen to me and the whole idea is ridiculous. The few times it happened I just went in front of them but I think its cheezy. Its friggin golf and is a common interest and is meant to be played as four. And is meant to be social and fun even if we take our own golf seriously. This isn't like claiming a spot n the beach. If 3 people cant except one person I mean I just don't know or get it. But hey, I am older now (50) and I guess I just don't see things the same anymore. Life is too short to worry about dumb thins and to do dumb things. But hey, thats just me.

I always book for the number of people I have playing in my group. I enjoy being matched up with strangers and meeting new people. Are there some odd ducks out there? Sure, but that makes it fun.

I especially enjoyed the "gentleman" who kicked my butt up and down the golf course last fall while wearing sweat pants that stopped above his ankles and a 1980's style San Francisco 49ers button up jacket.

Always be honest. Courses like honest people. Plus, it's good for the karma

There is a course by my way whose online rates are cheaper than their rack rates, but you can't book as a single online and when you call they tell you to come in and charge you at the higher rate even though they know full well online rate is cheaper. So I just book as a twosome and try to fill.

to be honest,this season I have yet (as a single which I almost always am) have yet to be paired with anyone less than excepting and fun. Its been a great season for this so far. My last few round have been a blast and filled with many good laughs and friendly conversing and joking even though the golf was the primary goal.

There is a course by my way whose online rates are cheaper than their rack rates, but you can't book as a single online and when you call they tell you to come in and charge you at the higher rate even though they know full well online rate is cheaper. So I just book as a twosome and try to fill.

The courses know what the online rate is, so next time, if two or three spots are already taken, call the course and ask if they will give you the online rate since you can't book as a single. They should do it, since filling two and even worse, one spot is very difficult, if you know what the online rate is for that particular tee time. (Unless it is that GolfNow Hot Deal. Then you'll be SOL) But if you show up and are just going to play as a single because it's slow and there is space for a single, ask if they will honor the rate. If you can tell them what it is, they will probably give it to you. We don't just give them an online rate just for asking, they have to know what the rate is, since it is supposed to be online only. But when they ask, and if they know, we'll give it to them.

I despise the selfish people who do this. Courses need to make money and singles want to play.

Every Saturday morning at my home track they are "fully booked" with "foursomes" and every Saturday morning I get to join a 2 or 3 as a single.
It's not accidental 90% of the time.

I never book more players than I actually have. My favorite part of golf is meeting new people. Some of the best people I have meet in life started out as strangers on the first tee. I am actually upset when a course lets my group play as a two or three.

In May, I had booked online as a single for a 9:20 tee time and got bumped as the threesome turned into a foursome (which was bs in my book).

The starter said that they could move me to the 9:30 slot as it was a threesome too so I said ok. Then those guys said they have a fourth so I got bumped to 9:40 with a couple. The 9:30 teed off as 3 and I pointed that out to the starter who said they told him their 4th would be joining them later. Well, it must have been at the bar because I was waiting on a slow threesome for 18 holes.

Reality is they were jerks so it was better not playing with them but I was irritated that I was delayed by at least 20 minutes that day.

When I golf I do so with the good graces of my wife so I want to be efficient and get home in a timely fashion

I don't overbook. I walk on often enough as a single that I'm just balancing the scales by leaving a spot open in my group.
There is a local course (public) that has set my teeth on edge the few times I've played there. They seem to encourage this, because I have gone as a single and watched 3 straight groups of 2 and 3 go out after curtly telling the kid in the Pro Shop they didn't want anyone to join them.

I haven't been back in years, and tell that story to anyone I meet thinking of joining a local course. I hope its cost them over the years.

At my current course, they hook singles up with anyone, and they count noses on the tee. I suppose you could claim the 4th will be right along, but that seems a bit of a di*k move.

I tend to stick with the truth. It's easier to remember.

I've been on both sides and have rarely had a bad experience. Golf tends to attract good people. Once or twice I've been paired with someone I don't care to spend four hours with but the good times I've had and new friends I've made over the years more than balance out the bad experiences.

So on the flipside, if you're a single and you play fast, it's best to be checked in before the sun comes up. You may get put with the old guys who go off first, or if you're lucky they'll give you a cart and you can pull away from the lead group. You just have to be *certain* you play faster than the first group out or you're going to annoy the course management.

If you knock out a two hour round and bring the cart back clean it's more likely you can do it more often.

I always book as a foursome if we have 3. Usually it's a 50/50 chance another buddy will be able to join us to be the 4th.
We play later in the afternoon anyway when it's less crowded and the courses aren't worried about pairing a single up.

Always be honest. Courses like honest people. Plus, it's good for the karma

This seven days a week and twice on Sundays!

My home course has pretty steady play on weekends. Around holidays it can get nuts. Friday July 3rd this year was a case of that. I called on Wednesday and they were already booked until almost 1pm. We had 8 so I needed two slots, the first they had at 1:24p & 1:33p. Grabbed those. We had all 8 guys there by 12:45, and at that point knew there was a backup both on the 1st tee and waiting for carts. I went in the 2nd group just after 2pm.

The course does a pretty good job with things (new owners for the last 3 years) but they just don't pair up twosome. Its maddening really...

All the time. Not because I don't want some random dude playing with us but because normally we can find a 4th between us. When we can't or someone backs out we just tell the pro shop. Most of the time with 3 they just send us out, I think only a handful of times has there been a single they paired with us. Now we have had a single come through before and offer for them to join if they like.

No I dont, I have no issue with being paired with others. I find it odd when people make other feel unwelcome when paired together

Back