play this par5 second shot

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
with the season close in many northern towns why not start making some decisions...lol...just for fun

Anyway, you hit a real good tee shot on this not too long par5. I been here just enough times myself with a bit of a forward placed tee and a real good drive. What do you do?

Obviously the lake hazard, the tree (which is tall BtW) and long bunker require all carry, however not much trouble for being long on this assuming your not errant.

You see the choices unless you have another one all together different.

yellow - carry all the way to green for 211 for the middle green pin.
green - 185ish to the apron area with 35 left. Significantly safer but still enough to carry and not all that forgiving for a poorer shot.
Blue - 165ish to a more easily inviting fairway and an over all most forgiving and shortest of the three and leaves you 75
orange - for those with the ability perhaps choosing to hit a 200+ yardish fade to roll up the front
Or whatever else you wish to create here, its your shot

I have went for this and been in the bunker, or tree, or lake one too many times..lol..not that I havnt hit 211 before but just that when it counts this much its (like most weekend warriors) not usually the better ending..lol
However its not usually my most often landed drive anyway and usually being perhaps 25 or more yards back I usually go for that 75yrd fairway spot or even 100 out depending on my drive and iron I feel like using. But the 180-85 with 35/40 left would be my choice from "this" scenario coming with a little room for being less than perfect with the shot.
Whats your decision. These are always fun to hear imo :)

howell%2011_zpskahtz5m1.jpg

I would go with the blue line, typically. Lay up with a 7i and leave myself with a knock down AW to the green without trouble.

4 iron to the green the first time I play it and depending on how that turns out I may adjust or roll with it the second time I play that hole.

The issue I would have if I laid up from 211 is I'd rather have a 100 yard shot left instead of 60-50, so it wouldn't make much sense to hit GW, SW, so I would probably take that orange line with a nice 5 iron. Then 3 putt:banghead:

I think I would go for it and aim for the left side of the green. It is a little hard to tell from the pic, but missing left gives you a good approach, missing long doesn't look to penal depending on how the rough is, missing right of that might be closer to the flag. A 3rd shot if short and in that bunker might not be the worst thing, I'd hope to get out and have 2 putts for a par.

I'd likely follow the orange path with a hybrid fade towards the opening to the green.

It'll either end up as planned or be pulled a little left leaving me an open shot to the green.

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

165 is my 5H, so I'd go for that and then three quarter gap wedge for the green.

I'm not messing with that tree, even with my Heavenwood. I'll take 4i somewhere between the blue and green lines.

I'm probably trying to hit a cut 4w and aim on the orange line. If it doesn't cut I'm just through the fairway and looks like a good angle to the green. As a general rule, If I'm 220 or less out I'm going for 95% of the time unless it's all carry. This looks like a bailout isn't too punishing.

I would probably (depending on wind) take either 3i or 3h and play to the left side of the green, I can hit a high shot with both clubs to get over most normal size trees, I can cut a shot to get around the tree in the photo.
Or, take a 4w down the yellow line and blast it over the green, see how that shot results.
I am sure I would adjust, based upon the results of the first attempt. But, really, carrying 211 yds is a good shot with my longer clubs - not an uncommon shot for me at my home course.

I would probably go with a 5 iron and try to roll the ball onto the left side of the green.

With only 211 to green center and tons of room to bail out left this is a no brainer for me and the kind of opportunity I salivate over.

I'm pulling 4 Hybrid (220 club) and aiming right at the pin. If I miss due to overswinging I'll pull the ball left and be safe with a wedge in hand.

Blue line all day. Play safe stay safe.

In a perfect course management rational Decision, I'd go blue. But when golfing, I always try to make the green, so in reality I'd actually go yellow, end up probably in the bunker or the thick stuff, duff the next shot over or short, chip on and 3 putt in for a double. LOL

If I'm having a good ball striking day I pull hybrid and go right at the flag; less than great ball striking day and I'm pulling 7i and playing safe.

Zero chance I lay up, there really isn't much reason.This length shot 15 yards is going to be by my minimum error distance where I need to have that much room over the water. I generally hit a fairly high shot so I doubt the tree is in play for a well struck shot unless it is over 65 feet or so. That said I am aiming a bit left with a cut to hopefully take it out of tree on a thin shot. Taking my 215 club, my 3 hybrid and aiming for a 210 high cut. The water really isn't in play on 98% of my swings, bad shot should end up in the bunker awful might hit tree but as long as it doesn't take a crazy kick I get up and down, If I hit the ball too well long is fine, thin usually will miss long as well. For every bogey or worse I make from here I expect 3 or 4 birdies. This is where I make the most of my score, 2 shot par 5 after a very good drive.

Orange line, that is probably the only ball flight I can do on purpose (sometimes).

I would probably go with the blue line first time around, going with an 8 iron.

After that if I feel like I am striking the ball well, I would probably try a 5 iron and see if I can turn it over similar to the red line.

I'm attempting the orange line. I can fade the ball, but most likely if I don't get the shot to fade it should go straight. Not much risk in my mind on that one as long as you make any what decent contact.

I would probably play the blue line or even a little further back. My perfected lay up is between 110-120. But it would be hard not to try and make the green.

Depending on pin placement, I'd either go green or blue. If it's center or back pin probably lean towards green. Front pin I may go red.

Blue - 165 is a good yardage for me, avoids all the trouble and puts the pressure on the wedge shot not the long iron or hybo. Make a good wedge shot and I'm looking at a bird.

I would aim on the green line but pull it left to the blue line on the downswing. Water does that to me!!

somewhere between the blue and green for me

211?

I'm going for it all day. The water isn't close enough to the green to be concerning. Hopefully worse case I end up in the bunker. 4 iron is probably club of choice.

Back