Thoughts on iron graphite shafts

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
I was wondering what are everyone's thoughts on iron graphite shafts. Whenever I have tried them, they seem to lack feel. Also, sets with graphite shafts tend me to be a tad longer which, I would assume, make center strikes a bit more difficult to generate. The weird thing is that my swing speed has always been a bit slow so one would think, graphite shafts would help me.
I am considering talking a look at the big Bertha irons with the recoil shafts vs the standard steels. Maybe the feel situation has improved?

Trevor you'll find a ton of info on graphite shafts if you do a search.

I play recoils and demoed steel fibers and the tech in both of those has come along way in terms of launch and feel compared to graphite of the past.

The newest graphite technologies mimick steel very well while still providing the benefit of graphite. I'm testing out a set of Callaway Apex with x-stiff UST Recoils and their standard length is the same as steel.

Every bit as consistent and accurate in my limited use thus far but with a far more pleasing feel throughout the swing and impact. I'm sold on the tech, fantastic product.

Many solid options for graphite shafts in irons, now. As far as length is concerned, you can order irons with the length you prefer, which can also include a specified swing weight.

If I wasn't already married I would marry my Steelfibers. Most accurate shaft I've ever played. Phenomenal feel. I can't rave about them enough (outside of the cost).

My usual miss is a draw. Would a graphite shaft (which are usually lighter than steels) hurt, benefit or have no effect on that miss?

Very expensive but for me the greatest thing ever .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did not think I would like them.

Turns out I love them. By now there are so many options available that there's no reason you can't get a shaft that matches your swing profile. And when that happens, I think the extra cost is worth it.

My usual miss is a draw. Would a graphite shaft (which are usually lighter than steels) hurt, benefit or have no effect on that miss?
Check out some of the links provided. A lot of folks have moved to lighter weight shafts, both steel and graphite. My miss with DGS300 was a hook. My miss with Recoil 110s is a hook.

I have tried them before on my set and wasn't much of a fan of them. I did gain. Couple of yards however but the feel and the balance of steel shafts couldn't fill that void. I do recommend them to people who are looking gain yards or have a faster club head speed. But honestly I'd stick to steel

This is a good thread above in this link.

I think its odd that people still view graphite as there for distance. Not only is graphite every bit as stable and able to control as steel, its easier to manipulate the flex profile for manufacturers which in turn can give more fitting options.

Graphite is not what it was years ago. Its not about just going light weight and certainly not flimsy. It is winning each year at the highest level in the world and more manufacturers are coming out with very good options each and every year.

I was able to try the Cally Big Bertha 7 iron in both Recoil and Steel. All I can say is wow! The feel of the Recoils is light years away from previous graphite irons I had tried. The next step for me will be to try it in actual grass. I actually liked the Recoil over the standard steel!

I was able to try the Cally Big Bertha 7 iron in both Recoil and Steel. All I can say is wow! The feel of the Recoils is light years away from previous graphite irons I had tried. The next step for me will be to try it in actual grass. I actually liked the Recoil over the standard steel!
I was pretty much in the same boat as you wrt my opinion on graphite in irons. I mean, I'd read the reviews and the tech improvements and trusted that they had improved but I was still fairly rooted in my previous opinion from years past. Recoils quickly changed that for me too.

I have the Matrix Program 95's in my irons and I absolutely love them. In addition to the great feel and accuracy they have totally cured the pain I had in my hands after I played a round. They are expensive but I don't plan on changing them for a long time.

I have the Matrix Program 95's in my irons and I absolutely love them. In addition to the great feel and accuracy they have totally cured the pain I had in my hands after I played a round. They are expensive but I don't plan on changing them for a long time.

Those are my shafts too and agree completely.

Thoughts on iron graphite shafts

Those are my shafts too and agree completely.

Weren't you playing a different set of in the 70g range in HHI at the invitational?

Back