Nicklaus ML4 Driver - Forum Testing Review

How does it compare in height to your usual driver?

I am very interested in this as I want to find a driver that I can hit high if needed but also low. I don't want a driver that appears to be too easy to get very high in the air (if that makes sense)
For me it hit a bit higher, but again it's a penetrating ball flight.

ML4 Update
I played nine today. It was misty and the temps were in the mid-50s. In an effort to see if I could lower the ball flight a bit I tried something a bit different when I was at the range. I teed the ball extremely low. The result was a nice, mid-high, penetrating ball flight. I tried this on the course with the same result. I hit all but one fairway, and the one I missed was only by a few yards. The fairways were extremely wet so the lower flight was good in that it gave me more roll.

It felt a bit uncomfortable teeing the ball so low, but the results were very positive. Usually when I tee it up nearly a quarter of the ball is above the crown, in this experiment all of the ball was well below the crown.

Well, tomorrow I'll be taking my newly reshafted ML4 (Pershing-65 stiff, tipped 1") to the course. This time, it will be under the gun as it's the first time that I'll be using the ML4 at all with my regular group. Tough group, good players, reasonable stakes.

AND, due to timing issues in the morning with having to drop my daughter off to school, I may not make it to the course early enough in order to hit the range beforehand. So there's a good chance that the newly reshafted ML4 will get a true trial under fire on the very first tee! :smile:

Well, tomorrow I'll be taking my newly reshafted ML4 (Pershing-65 stiff, tipped 1") to the course. This time, it will be under the gun as it's the first time that I'll be using the ML4 at all with my regular group. Tough group, good players, reasonable stakes.

AND, due to timing issues in the morning with having to drop my daughter off to school, I may not make it to the course early enough in order to hit the range beforehand. So there's a good chance that the newly reshafted ML4 will get a true trial under fire on the very first tee! :smile:

Can't wait to hear how it goes

I now tap while I talk

ML4 UPDATE

Finally got out there with my reshafted ML4 (10.5*, Graphite Design Pershing-65 stiff, tipped 1"). I'd originally wanted the club built to 44.5" but the clubmaker said that the head is a bit on the lighter side and he was having some trouble getting a decent swing-weight with it. Anything D0 to D4 would work for me. So with my approval, the club was made to 45" with a D2 swing-weight.

Pressed for time, I was only able to hit maybe 15 balls at the range pre-round, 5 of them with driver. Although at this time I could tell that my iron-swing may be just a bit off, I hammered the few range balls I hit with driver. First 4 were a slight fade and the last, dead-straight.

Fairly benign conditions, low 70's temperature, sunny, maybe an 8-10mph breeze.

I'm not going to state assumed driving distance as I go hole to hole as conditions, tee placement, and hole layout can dictate actual length. I didn't mark my drives for distance with my gps, instead I'll give the hole's yardage and the yards I had left in to the center of the green with my approach after drive according to my Golf Guru GPS.

Pine Lakes Country Club in Manorville, NY. We played the back tees at 7,132 yards (a bit shorter as there was a temporary green on one hole, 65 yards shorter than actual), 74.4 / 131. For the most part, the back tees were placed where I'd expect, some at the farthest point back. None, in my estimation, were placed where I'd consider them shorter than standard.

Hole #1

Straight-away 400 yard par 4. There was a bit of a backup on the first tee, lots of eyes, I was a little nervous but that disappeard as soon as I felt contact as I knew I'd just flushed it. Straight down the middle, 104 yards remaining.

Hole #2

511 yard Par-5 demanding straight to fade drive, tee is slightly elevated and hole starts to turn right 280 yards out or so. Hit another good one, dead-straight, leaving 201 yards. My ball was placed perfectly, left of center, great look on approach.

Hole #3

Par 3

Hole #4

402 yard par-4. The back tees, recessed into the woods, had overhanging limbs from large trees on either side of the box, absolutely coming into play. All of us either hit the limbs or clipped the leaves. I clipped a few leaves but still hit a good one, right of center of the fairway and leaving 145 yards into the green.

Hole #5

Temporary green hole. Playing about 275 yards, par-4. I put my drive into a bunker, pin high. I went over the woods-line right of the hole with a slight draw.

Hole #6

428 yard par-4, slight breeze into us. I hit another good one, straight, center of the fairway, leaving 168 yards in.

Hole #7

420 yard par-4. Breeze shifted and was again into us and I hit another solid drive with a slight fade, left center of fairway, leaving 156 to the center of the green.

Hole #8

539 par-5. I set up for draw, ball didn't draw as it went straight as an arrow. Missed the fairway 10 yards right, leaving 255 in.

Hole #9

469 yard par-4. What I'd consider my worst swing with driver of the day yet it still landed left center of the fairway and good distance. Worst, only because of my swing. I felt myself slide forward forcing me to come down too steep into the ball. Ball spun way too much but I still got it out there, leaving 204 in.

Hole #10

398 yard par-4. Solid drive, right of center, 118 yards remaining.

Hole #11

436 yard par 4 with a sharp dog-leg left about 220 yards out or so. Not a driver hole for me but I was feeling good and whatever breeze there was, was at us. I choked down on the ML4 and set-up for draw and nailed it. Cut the dog-leg and then some, center-cut, 130 out.

Hole #12

504 yard par-5. Also, not necessarily a driver hole as there's trees and then OB left with a drop-off right. Also, the perfect landing area is 4-wood distance away for me. Still, feeling good, I grabbed driver. Hammered it, dead center, 201 left to center of green.

Hole #13

Shorter par-4, tee'd off with 7-wood

Hole #14

Par-3.

Hole #15

498 par-5, a bit downhill from off the tee box but fairway starts to climb uphill fairly steeply about 240 yards away. Hole demands a 220 yard carry over water stretching across most of the fairway. I hit the ball solidly but my intended draw was overcooked some. Not quite a hook but it turned more than I had anticipated. It hit very solidly into one of the weeping willows that was on the far side of the water. Still, I was in the left rough and 221 yards out to center of the green.

Hole #16

My best drive of the day which happened to be into the breeze. Elevated tee, 396 yard par-4. Hole gradually turns left to right, a fade off the tee is perfect and I pulled it off. Even 100 yards in.

Hole #17

Par 3.

Hole #18

472 yard par 4 finisher, straight, breeze hurting a bit and coming from the left. I hit it hard but pushed the drive into the right rough maybe 20' off the fairway, 179 yards remaining. Not a bad drive at all but it was the first time all day that I was distracted on the tee. Had time to step off and regroup but pulled the trigger anyway. Lesson learned. Still parred the hole and won the match on the 18th. Sweet. :smile:

I hit 10 of 14 fairways with driver. My misses weren't bad at all as they were quite playable. Evidenced by the fact that I was even-par for those four holes where I missed fairway (one birdie, one bogey, two pars). I haven't been so consistently straight and consistently long in some time.

It could have and should have been a career day but my irons and wedge game was just a bit off. Nearly always pin high but I missed too many greens. Also, my putter let me down big-time, especially on the shorter ones. I missed one 2-footer... YES, 2 darn FEET! Two four-footers, and one about 5'.

Still, I shot 79 with three birdies against some tough competition. I threw away plenty of strokes out there yesterday, but the ML4 wasn't responsible for any of them. I am exceedingly impressed with this club. I found the reshaft to lower the ball-flight a bit while making for a more stable and smoother pass through the ball.

So impressed were my buddies that two of the three are considering the ML4. Impressive, coming from them. I'm not knocking them when I say that they're "brand snobs." I'm only saying this to highlight that they only play equipment from known and popular manufacturers and scoff at the unknown. Case in point, my Tour Edge Exotics fairway woods. When I put them in the bag 6 or so years ago I was hit with comments like, "Tour Edge?" Where'd you find them, K-Mart???"

No such comments from them about the ML4. What I heard instead was, "where can I get one?" And, "can you grab one for me and set it up the same as yours for me?"

Although I drove the ball great all day, my contact with the ML4 was actually all over the face. Therefore, I can confidently say that the ML4 is the most forgiving driver I've ever hit. Shots way out toward the toe still flew great and contact even a bit toward the heel exceeded expectations. My buddies didn't believe me when I said that I hadn't pured many drives all day until I showed them the ball-marks all across the drivers face. This, coupled with their seeing my consistent distance hole after hole, I think sold them on the driver.

Length wise, my S3 with the stiff Blueboard-73 may be a bit longer. But the ML4 is consistenly longer in my hands. Meaning, the aforementioned mis-hits get out there with plenty of distance, surpassing equal strikes with the S3 by a substantial margin.

I still only have a few rounds under my belt with the ML4 and one with the reshaft. Still, and I'm not someone to commit to a club too quickly, the ML4 is officially in the bag. The S3 is now relegated back-up duty. I really liked the S3, still do actually, very much so. I knew it would take a knockout performance by another driver to unseat it. And it happened.

Unbelievable driver, the ML4.

Last edited:
Incredible write up. Love seeing testing like this.

Dang good stuff WMac! I'm glad to see someone else has relegated the S3 to backup thanks to the ML4. This is one fantastic driver for sure.

Awesome write up. Glad you hammered it

I now tap while I talk

That's a great write up WMac! You definitely have a winner in your bag and good job on getting that re-shafted to bring the ball flight down to your liking. Outstanding driving day for you and still scored pretty good considering how you described the irons and putting!!

Great write ups everyone! Wmac, thanks for putting in the time to write about your last round. Very nice!

Incredible write up. Love seeing testing like this.

Thanks, much appreciated. Sorry 'bout the grammatical errors here and there (I'll hafta clean that up). I was in a rush, had to pick up my daughter from school, lol...

Thanks, all... it's actually a pleasure to report back on a club so impressive. Testing demands objectivity so results of any kind, good or bad, need to be reported but when you happen to love a stick, it's all the more fun to do so.

I very typically shade toward higher lofted drivers. One, because I love the carry I get out of them but, two (and more importantly), the additional forgiveness due to the higher loft is appreciated at times. But I'm so impressed with the ML4 and it's incredible forgiveness that I plan to buy another in 9*. As of now, I'm leaning toward also reshafting that one with a Pershing-65 but that's subject to change.

I don't dislike my ball-flight with the present set-up, I would not consider it to be "too high" at all. I'd classify it as med-high, shaded more toward high, but it's a very strong and penetrating flight. But my curiosity has been piqued and I'd really like to check out the 9* clubhead.

May be a little while before I acquire one and reshaft but I'll be sure to report back.

Great write-up WMac! I enjoyed reading that and loved the breakdown quite a bit.

ML4 Update
Great write-up by WMac! I'm no big hitter like you.

Today I played in wet, windy conditions. The temperatures were in the mid-50s. Again, I experimented with teeing the ball up very low in an attempt to bring down the trajectory. My home course is extremely narrow, with hardly any rough. After the rough you are either OB or in a hazard, with very few exceptions. Therefore, even if a tee shot does not find the fairway, any tee shot in play is a considered a good shot by the membership.

Hole 1: Dead into a brisk wind. I faded my drive. This is where the forgiveness came in. I believe with any other driver my ball would have found the hazard, as it was my ball ended up in the rough. My drive was approximately 215 yards.

Hole 2: Dead into the wind again. I teed it low and flushed the drive down the right side, and it hit the fairway, which slopes to the right, and bounced into the rough. Here the rough is about seven yards wide. I was fortunate it didn't role into the pond. I hit that drive about 225. The trajectory was a bit lower.

Hole 5: I hit a fade here. Straight ahead is a pond about 220 yards. To the right is another pond a few yards on the other side of the cart path, but there is a little room for "error". My ball landed in the fairway, went through five yards of rough, and ended up on the cart path. I hit that one about 225.

Hole 8: Normally I hit a 5-wood here as this is an extremely tight dog leg left short par four. There are no red stakes or OB, but thick woods hug the fairway on both sides and if you hit your ball into them you must hit a provisional. I hit driver because it was dead into the wind and my second shot, had I hit the 5-wood, would have been about 160 yards to a green surrounded by water on the right and OB on the left and long. I didn't want to be that far out. Again, I flushed the drive, but came in a little steep. I hit a nice high draw around the dog leg. That one went about 215.

Hole 9: This is the longest par 4 on the course: 440 yards. Again, another tight driving hole. My best drive of the day so far. Only a slight breeze in my face I hit this one about 245 yards. This time I kept the ball flight down a bit, so I got a bit more role.

Hole 10: Wind dead into us. If anything it picked up a bit. I came in a bit steep again and it very high. I hit it flush, right down the middle, but it only went about 215 yards.

Hole 11: Wind right into us. I hit a dead pull. I hit on the sweet spot and it it about 220. Fortunately, they let the rough grow on the other side cart path (it was about a foot high), and that prevented my ball from going into the hazard).

Hole 14: Nutted a drive right down the middle on this par five. Into the wind (what else is new?), and it traveled about 230 yards.

Hole 18: Into the wind, but not as bad. I reached for a little more and hit it about 245, a slight pull that trickled off the left side of the fairway and into the rough.

Overall a decent driving day under difficult conditions: very wet fairways, rain on and off, cool temp, and a lot of wind. Teeing the ball up lower has helped lower my ball flight, though I still have to get used to having the ball teed up that low. I occasionally come in too steep and hit the ball high, or I get handsy and pull, or pull hook the ball. Once in a blue moon I'll come over the top, but that's very infrequent. That's not the driver's fault, but mine.

Nice summary of your experience today, Sean. Sounds like you were still able to get the ball out there into the wind. Very good to hear.

Thanks Hawk. Nothing like Wmac though!

Nonsense! :wink: Excellent write-up, Sean.

When you mentioned tee-height, it reminded me that I too tee the ball up lower with the ML4. Not quite as low as you've been and probably only 1/2" lower than I do with the S3. I found the S3's sweet-spot to be a bit high and toward the toe. Whereas the ML4's sweet-spot is probably dead-center or a hair higher than center.

But knowing that you hit the sweet-spot with the ML4, in my experience, is more a product of feel than results. Because as I stated, shots toward the toe still go a long ways. Some of my longest drives with the ML4, pre and post reshafting, were off of swings where I felt like I didn't quite catch it pure. Yet the ball still took off.

....Lol, as I was typing this, one of my buddies from the group called, peppering me with questions about the ML4. He plans to reshaft his present driver and also pick up an ML4 to go head to head with it.

Nonsense! :wink: Excellent write-up, Sean.

When you mentioned tee-height, it reminded me that I too tee the ball up lower with the ML4. Not quite as low as you've been and probably only 1/2" lower than I do with the S3. I found the S3's sweet-spot to be a bit high and toward the toe. Whereas the ML4's sweet-spot is probably dead-center or a hair higher than center.

But knowing that you hit the sweet-spot with the ML4, in my experience, is more a product of feel than results. Because as I stated, shots toward the toe still go a long ways. Some of my longest drives with the ML4, pre and post reshafting, were off of swings where I felt like I didn't quite catch it pure. Yet the ball still took off.

....Lol, as I was typing this, one of my buddies from the group called, peppering me with questions about the ML4. He plans to reshaft his present driver and also pick up an ML4 to go head to head with it.
Thanks WMac! But I meant how far you hit the ball! That's also pretty funny WMac that one of your friends called during your post!

I'm teeing it up to where the ball is only as high as the middle of the club face or just a tad lower. Before I was teeing it up where at least a quarter of the ball was above the crown. So this is quite a difference for me. I'm still getting used to it. Like you I find the sweet spot to be pretty much dead center. Any misses I have are just off the toe. I haven't hit one off the heel yet, though I have hit a few "thin" and the ball went a long way. When I hit one on the sweet spot I immediately know it. I can feel it. The feed back is instant.

Thanks WMac! But I meant how far you hit the ball! That's also pretty funny WMac that one of your friends called during your post!

I'm teeing it up to where the ball is only as high as the middle of the club face or just a tad lower. Before I was teeing it up where at least a quarter of the ball was above the crown. So this is quite a difference for me. I'm still getting used to it. Like you I find the sweet spot to be pretty much dead center.

Lol... I guess I wasn't clear. I meant that you get the ball out there plenty!

You're absolutely right about sweet-spot contact, the feel is awesome. I never played persimmon woods but I played baseball with wooden bats. The best I can say is that, although the actual feel is different, that "crushed-it" sensation on pure contact is very similar. Very tangible, very satisfying.

The top of my tee'd ball crests maybe 1/4" above the crown but with the S3, half the ball was above the crown. So although not very low per se, it's a good deal lower than I'm used to.

I've also found that I can effectively infuence shot shape with tee height. For draw, I tee it a bit higher and for a fade, a bit lower. I'd long since read that to be a pretty standard rule of thumb but I've found the ML4 to respond to this better than most drivers I've tried.

Great stuff Sean!

Love this dang driver! I plan on getting out tomorrow and since not many people seem to really want to brave 100* it should be wide open for me haha. Will post up tomorrow night!

GREAT write ups gents!

Lol... I guess I wasn't clear. I meant that you get the ball out there plenty!

You're absolutely right about sweet-spot contact, the feel is awesome. I never played persimmon woods but I played baseball with wooden bats. The best I can say is that, although the actual feel is different, that "crushed-it" sensation on pure contact is very similar. Very tangible, very satisfying.

The top of my tee'd ball crests maybe 1/4" above the crown but with the S3, half the ball was above the crown. So although not very low per se, it's a good deal lower than I'm used to.

I've also found that I can effectively infuence shot shape with tee height. For draw, I tee it a bit higher and for a fade, a bit lower. I'd long since read that to be a pretty standard rule of thumb but I've found the ML4 to respond to this better than most drivers I've tried.
Thanks for that WMac!

Very tangible and very satisfying I agree...unlike any other driver I've hit. The sound...the feel...all extremely solid. You're spot on about shot shaping, and the ML4 makes it easier. Instead of messing with stance, etc., all you have to do is adjust the tee height and make your normal swing.

Great stuff Sean!

Love this dang driver! I plan on getting out tomorrow and since not many people seem to really want to brave 100* it should be wide open for me haha. Will post up tomorrow night!

GREAT write ups gents!
Thanks Jman! It's been 50º cooler here. lol

But I'm so impressed with the ML4 and it's incredible forgiveness that I plan to buy another in 9*. As of now, I'm leaning toward also reshafting that one with a Pershing-65 but that's subject to change.

May be a little while before I acquire one and reshaft but I'll be sure to report back.

Quoting myself here...

Ok, well... that didn't take long. I snagged a new 9* ML4 on ebay along with a few Pershing-65 shafts.

Yeah, I'm not too compulsive. Huh? :smile-big:

Quoting myself here...

Ok, well... that didn't take long. I snagged a new 9* ML4 on ebay along with a few Pershing-65 shafts.

Yeah, I'm not too compulsive. Huh? :smile-big:
WMac, I'll be curious to hear how much that lowers your ball flight.

Great job guys, loving the reviews coming in. Sean, you must have one honker long straight course if it always into the wind :D Sounds like this driver can handle it though.

Back