Nicklaus ML4 Driver - Forum Testing Review

Nice reviews, gents!

Sean, great to hear the ML4 is still working for you. I've experienced the same on hits toward the toe, the ball still gets out there and the flight, as far as direction is concerned, is barely affected. I've faded a few, drew most. Contact a bit toward the toe is more common for me than catching it pure so the ML4's forgiveness in this area is WHOLLY appreciated.

As for heel hits, although I usually never hit it off the heel, as I've said in past posts, my swing with the woods has been off. So, I've actually had a couple of heeled drives. In my experience with the ML4, shots toward the heel lose slightly more distance than shots toward the toe. That said, the distance has still been impressive. In both instances, the ball still penetrated nicely with a soft fade. Both shots incidentally were near the middle of the fairway. Considering the type of swing I happened to put on the ball with these particular shots, I was extremely happy with both the distance and direction.

I can safely say that the ML4 is one of the most forgiving drivers I've ever hit. I'm anxiously awaiting my club's reshaft (Pershing-65 S-flex, built to 44.5"). Hopefully I can report on that next week.
Thanks WMac...I have no interest in hitting any other driver at this point (and for me that's saying a lot). I'll be curious to see how it works for you after the re-shaft.

Your HI is half of mine so I'm probably a bit more inconsistent off the tee, but I have a lot of confidence in this driver. It's not just the ball flight, distance, and forgiveness, but the sound and feel too. Both of which are important to me. As far as the sticker on the sole goes...I like it. :)

I have no interest in hitting any other driver at this point
That really does say a lot for this driver. That's great to hear Sean. Happy it's working out so well for you. I play with plenty of high ball hitters, nothing wrong with it...just hurts a little into the wind :wink:

guys on my league ask what driver i game as they love the sound, imagine their surprise when i tell them its a nicklaus.. ha

That really does say a lot for this driver. That's great to hear Sean. Happy it's working out so well for you. I play with plenty of high ball hitters, nothing wrong with it...just hurts a little into the wind :wink:
Thanks Biggsy. I've been know to change clubs like socks, but I really like this driver. I'll just play downwind. lol

guys on my league ask what driver i game as they love the sound, imagine their surprise when i tell them its a nicklaus.. ha

thats pretty cool, i wish i could see their faces when you told them lol. Should tell them about THP and let them check it out

Oh I do, most know about THP due to my large poker chip ball marker lol

I now tap while I talk

Oh I do, most know about THP due to my large poker chip ball marker lol

I now tap while I talk

lol i didnt even think about that, i have been using the red one but im gonna switch it up and use the white one this weekend

lol i didnt even think about that, i have been using the red one but im gonna switch it up and use the white one this weekend

HAHA...I am doing the same thing, or my new magnetic THP ball marker that comes on the Crosshairs greens tool.

Great review's everyone on this driver. Sounds like it worth taking a real look at. It even has my home course looking to maybe add the Nicklaus line.

I went to my local shop last night to check out some things and got talking to the Nike pro that fit me for my irons. We were discussing my driver and he goes to me "hold on i've got something to show you". He pulls out the Nicklaus driver. He tells me he absolutely loves this driver and asks me if I have time to hit a few balls. Now he's a Nike rep and he said he loves this driver so much more. He kept the demo clubs the Nicklaus rep gave him and said he's not giving them back haha.

So I hit a few with the red Fujikura Stiff in the 10.5 degree. I normally hit a 9.5 or 9. All I have to say is this is one awesome driver. The shape, the feel, and the crisp contact are just amazing compared to other drivers ive tested (including the 910 and the Razr). This just feels solid and goes straight. Even with the 10.5 loft on it the ball just bored through the air with no ballooning at all.

Then he tells me the price. $200! My jaw dropped and I almost dished out the money right there. I have to go back there this week because he wants to take a look at my driver because of how poorly the ball has been flying with it lately. I may look into picking this one up!

ML4 Update

I played 18 today and hit six of eight fairways. Of the two I missed one was a pull hook (my big miss) and the other was a block. All the drives I hit were in the center of the club face so there was no forgiveness involved. It was cool with rain on and off during the round. What surprised me was I didn't lose that much distance. In addition, I didn't get any "spin". With all my previous drivers any drive in the fairway under wet conditions would result in the ball actually bouncing backwards. This doesn't happen with the ML4. The ball actually advances.

My trajectory with the ML4 is still high, which my playing partner called "majestic", lol. But, as I said, I'm a high ball hitter with all clubs. Your results might be very different than mine.

Since I've been playing the ML4 I've been finding more fairways. My home course is extremely narrow. There is hardly any rough to speak of (just a few yards on most holes). So, you either put it in the fairway or you end up in a hazard or OB. I have more confidence now teeing it up with the ML4 than I've had with previous drivers.

I know what you mean about confidence Sean, when I step up to the ball on the tee I feel that more with the ML4 than any driver I've had, including my old 4DX, and that's high praise from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

really glad this is working for you guys, why dont you send some of that tee box mojo my way so i can get rid of this driver funk i got going on lol

So the general feeling so far for this driver is that it is very easy to get it airborne. Most of you seem to be seeing high ball flight so far.

So the general feeling so far for this driver is that it is very easy to get it airborne. Most of you seem to be seeing high ball flight so far.

Not ballooning at all for me though. At all.

Played 36 today and hate to say but I hit 4 fairways out of 13 then went to 3 wood .. struggled with the slice. I hit 2 decent drives about 260 but just wasn't feeling it. I know it wasn't the driver but still wanted to update. Even with the slices ball flight was good, hope this is just a funk.. ill be going to the range tomorrow to sweat it out lol .

I now tap while I talk

Played 36 today and hate to say but I hit 4 fairways out of 13 then went to 3 wood .. struggled with the slice. I hit 2 decent drives about 260 but just wasn't feeling it. I know it wasn't the driver but still wanted to update. Even with the slices ball flight was good, hope this is just a funk.. ill be going to the range tomorrow to sweat it out lol .

I now tap while I talk

i feel your pain matty, you still hit 4 more fairways than i did today lol. i know somebody mentioned this sits slightly open at address, have you found that it creates more of a problem with your slice since its a little open? I know since my miss is a hook i like to see a open face on my driver so im assuming if my miss was a slice i would like it a little closed or dead square. Just wondering if that has bothered anybody or not

Yeah I usually don't go for open faces, but I was getting this dialed in and then today its like I never swung a driver before, so frustrating

I now tap while I talk

Not ballooning at all for me though. At all.

I second that. I hit it high, but it's a piercing trajectory for me with a lot of carry/distance.

How does it compare in height to your usual driver?

I am very interested in this as I want to find a driver that I can hit high if needed but also low. I don't want a driver that appears to be too easy to get very high in the air (if that makes sense)

I'm not sure of length, and I can hit it low if I tee it down a lot but. For me it kills accuracy and I mishit more,

I now tap while I talk

The accuracy part is a big plus too, I mean no good being able to bomb one down the hole if you are going to be in trouble after it.

I haven't seen one in the UK yet, may have to make some enquiries to see if I can demo one

I don't think you will regret it, my swing is in flux so hit it , and see what you get... hopefully you can find one

I now tap while I talk

love seeing all this positive reponse towards Nicklaus golf. When its time to get new clubs, they have worked their way into the discussion.

love seeing all this positive reponse towards Nicklaus golf. When its time to get new clubs, they have worked their way into the discussion.

i agree, i will def hit them in store when im buying next.

Back