Nicklaus ML4 Driver - Forum Testing Review

Great comments from all regarding this driver!
I just got mine 2 weeks ago. 9-degree, stiff shaft. Played Taylor Made and Cobra for the last ten years, and this driver beats them. Very forgiving.
I played a round yesterday and hit 11 out of 12 fairways, including three drives of 260+(My average is 220-230). I am not a good golfer(19 hdcp), and this driver seems to want to go straight for me. Typically, I have a "power fade" to a slice off the tee, but so far, only a slight fade with this driver.
I am in agreement that there is always a honeymoon period with new clubs, so I will post any changes.

Great job guys, loving the reviews coming in. Sean, you must have one honker long straight course if it always into the wind :D Sounds like this driver can handle it though.
It's not long Due, except for two holes (which are always into the wind), just narrow as all get out. It seems like the holes I hit driver on are always into the wind. With maybe one exception.

Full update in the morning but I'll leave ya all this. Par 5 dogleg left over water, cut the corner hard with an intentional draw to 125 out on the 485 yard hole. 10/14 fairways today too in 100 degrees. Love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know where one would find a dealer of these drivers?

There is an areas on their website where you can enter your zip code.

Hopefully you find one because you won't regret it

I now tap while I talk

Great comments from all regarding this driver!
I just got mine 2 weeks ago. 9-degree, stiff shaft. Played Taylor Made and Cobra for the last ten years, and this driver beats them. Very forgiving.
I played a round yesterday and hit 11 out of 12 fairways, including three drives of 260+(My average is 220-230). I am not a good golfer(19 hdcp), and this driver seems to want to go straight for me. Typically, I have a "power fade" to a slice off the tee, but so far, only a slight fade with this driver.
I am in agreement that there is always a honeymoon period with new clubs, so I will post any changes.
Great stuff BG! That's a huge difference. :)

ML4 Update

I played nine holes today with my partner in preparation for a match play event at our club. We played from the back tees since that is where we'll be playing from. It was sunny and warm.

Hole 1: Downwind! There was a fairly stiff breeze. I hit the ball high and straight. The drive went about 250 right down the middle.

Hole 2: A bit of wind in my face. I hit the ball high again, about 230 right down the middle. This hole is my nemesis. It's a long par four littered with hazards. It felt good being able to put the ball in the fairway. It's a very intimidating tee shot for me.

Hole 4: Quite a bit of wind in my face. The hole is only 340 yards, but very narrow. However, the green is also very narrow. Usually I would hit a 5-wood here, but with that much wind I decided to hit driver as I didn't want a mid-iron into the green (too much trouble long and short to come in with a lower trajectory ball flight). I hit another solid drive about 230 yards down the left side of the fairway.

Hole 5: A par five into the wind. The pond was about 240 yards out so I decided to hit driver again. I hit another high drive, but as with the others it wasn't a ballooning shot. It went about 230 into the middle of the fairway.

Hole 9: A 440 yard par four dead into the wind. A par five for me. I tried to kill the drive, came over the top a bit and hit a high fade that went about 225 yards and ended up in the right rough. Not a good swing.

A very good driving day for me, especially from the back tees. I ended up with a 40 (par 35). Again the ML4 felt and sounded solid when struck in the middle of the club face. I've never hit so many fairways with a driver before. Every drive I hit today was in play...and at my club that's saying something.

Another very good driving round for you, Sean. I love that I'm seeing so much love for equipment that isn't from the brands with the most marketing power.

Another very good driving round for you, Sean. I love that I'm seeing so much love for equipment that isn't from the brands with the most marketing power.
Makes me wonder Hawk what their other clubs are like. I've been looking for their irons in golf shops but haven't seen them. I wonder what they're like?

The demo day reviews have some good feedback on the irons.

Posted via Tapatalk

The demo day reviews have some good feedback on the irons.

Posted via Tapatalk
I know, but what I meant was most golf shops carry just the "name brand" equipment. It's one thing to read about equipment, e.g. Nicklaus Golf, it's another to be able to take if for a test drive yourself.

Would love to hear more updates from our other 2 testers as well.

any more recent updates out there? Was getting caught up on the thread and most of the updates seem to be from right after the club was received, would be interested to see what kind of changes, trends, etc have taken place in the last month by everyone

any more recent updates out there? Was getting caught up on the thread and most of the updates seem to be from right after the club was received, would be interested to see what kind of changes, trends, etc have taken place in the last month by everyone

I posted one yesterday and on Tuesday...as well as a number before those (posts with red headers), others have as well.

Good stuff Sean. After the mentioning of the high yet piercing ball flight earlier it was good to see you have some into the wind shots with success. It's always windy here and I paid the price for it today.

Keep up the good work!

--
tapatalk

Good stuff Sean. After the mentioning of the high yet piercing ball flight earlier it was good to see you have some into the wind shots with success. It's always windy here and I paid the price for it today.

Keep up the good work!

--
tapatalk

Thanks SW, I really appreciate it! I do lose distance in the wind, and am experimenting with lowering my tee height to see if that will help when I'm hitting into the wind. I've had some limited success. I still have more work to do. :)

Thanks SW, I really appreciate it! I do lose distance in the wind, and am experimenting with lowering my tee height to see if that will help when I'm hitting into the wind. I've had some limited success. I still have more work to do. :)

Sean have you tryed a ball position change, moving the ball back in your stance will help a ton, try moving it back 2 or 3 ball lenghts in your stance and that should help, can also move it back more if you want your ball flight even lower.

Sean have you tryed a ball position change, moving the ball back in your stance will help a ton, try moving it back 2 or 3 ball lenghts in your stance and that should help, can also move it back more if you want your ball flight even lower.
No 10 Yard, I haven't tried that. Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try. :)

No 10 Yard, I haven't tried that. Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try. :)

that is the one thing that never fails me off the tee, sure it might not go where i was aiming but i can keep it low lol.
maybe i have missed it but i would also like to hear how this is working for the other 2, especially after the reshaft

that is the one thing that never fails me off the tee, sure it might not go where i was aiming but i can keep it low lol.
maybe i have missed it but i would also like to hear how this is working for the other 2, especially after the reshaft
I'll post my results with my next update 10Yard.

ML4 Update

I played 18 today. I tried teeing the ball lower and putting it back a bit in my stance to bring down the ball flight, but I didn't have much success. I don't feel comfortable with the ball teed so low, or back in my stance (relatively speaking).

Hole 1: I pulled it a bit. But since my course is unforgiving it found the hazard. Any of the other courses I play and it would have been fine.

Hole 2: Hit a fade down the right side of the fairway...and it found the pond.

Hole 4: Hit a nice drive down the middle about 235 yards.

Hole 5: Hit a great drive into the wind. It hit the left side of the fairway, which slopes right to left, and rolled into the hazard.

Hole 8: Hit a nice drive dead into the wind about 220. A risky shot to a tight fairway, but I didn't want a 155 yard approach to green surrounded by trouble.

Hole 9: Hit a good drive about 245 right down the middle of the fairway.

Holes 10, 11, 13, 14, and 15 I hit pulls into the hazards. Just made bad swings. I still struggle with getting armsy.

Hole 17: Hit a very nice drive 240 yards right down the left side of a tight driving hole.

Hole 18: Another good drive into the wind. Middle of the fairway about 225 yards.

In a way I'm glad I struggled a bit with the driver today. I don't want to give you folks the impression that you can put a bad swing on the ML4 and it will correct all of your sins. It won't. It is forgiving, the most forgiving driver I've hit. It will forgive those venial sins, but not the mortal sins I committed today.

Back