TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

Good little setup video yorkem! I to like that wedge out of a bunker, so much forgiveness with it.

--
tapatalk

Thanks buddy. I really believe proper set up makes a huge difference, especially in the sand.

Great videos Yorkem. Do you find it more difficult because you swing from the wrong side?

Next time we are out, hopefully I'll have my new wedges, I'd like to spend some time in the sand and pick your brain!

Be glad to do it Matt. BTW, very funny about the first part.

Uhm that is an expensive alignment tool buddy!! Great videos Anthony. :call-me:

I know...hahaha...but it just stood out so well in the video. Much better than my shafts.

Nice videos Yorkem, cool stuff. Heading back out there tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks man. I appreciate it.

Nice yorkem. I have had success out of the bunker with the 2.0 SW too, but have big trouble with it in tight lie situations. Playing a round tomorrow afternoon and going to try and take some video.

So I went to the range tonight, but it rained the whole time I was there. I still hit shots, but didn't get video because of rain. Had one of my worst sessions in a long time. My swing was there, and everything felt good, but I couldn't hit a good shot to save my life. The few good shots I hit were just as nice as all the ones before, with the same awesome results. Hoping to get back one day soon when it's dry.

Loved the vid's guys, nice tattoo yorkem, lol. Love the sound of those irons on a well struck ball and you guys are getting it done. Nice job!

Glad you all like the videos, anything else special you want to see? I am a bit surprised the Burner 2.0s are still listed at $699 for 4-AW steel. I kind of expected to see a slight price dip to $649 or $599 when they released the R11s. Not that the R11 would replace the B2, but thought a possible slight price drop could move more sets even as the season winds down.

Last edited:
Great videos dd, I have a couple of questions for the testers. I played the Burner 2.0's with the stock steel shafts, and found that distance control was sometimes difficult for me to control. I was seeing a lot of flyiers and sometimes some dead shots. For those of you who have upgraded shafts fit to your swing, do you find that it has helped with this issue? I suppose I'm wondering if the stock shaft was just not fit to my game and thats why I was seeing those flyers, or dead balls.

Great videos dd, I have a couple of questions for the testers. I played the Burner 2.0's with the stock steel shafts, and found that distance control was sometimes difficult for me to control. I was seeing a lot of flyiers and sometimes some dead shots. For those of you who have upgraded shafts fit to your swing, do you find that it has helped with this issue? I suppose I'm wondering if the stock shaft was just not fit to my game and thats why I was seeing those flyers, or dead balls.

Thanks CB. I have only seen a handful of rockets with my Project X 5.5 steel shafts. The rockets were easily 7-10 yards further than normal. Luckily, I havent seen any 'dead' hits either. The closest thing to dead balls in my experience so far is if you really hit it out on the toe, the ball just doesnt travel as far as on well struck shots (obviously). I've actually seen better distance on poorly hit toe balls with the 2.0 than I see with my Cleveland CG Golds. The awful toe balls do scuff up the finish a bit too, so theres another incentive not to hit them there.

Thanks DD, I was thinking the fact that the shafts were not fit for me had a lot to do with the inconsistancy I was seeing. Glad to hear these are working so well for you and the others.

I haven't had any problems like this with any of my shots. I feel as if every shot I hit goes close to the same distance. This is with Project X Flighted shafts in mine.

Tappin' away from my DROIDX.

Love the videos guys, I liked that setup one Yorkem, well done

Cool, I am seeing more and more flyers, an I was fitted for my shaft. When I pure a shot it REALLY goes. Nearly 10% further than normal yardage. Yesterday I hammered a 9 iron 162 from the fairway... my normal 150 club. I find myself almost guarding against it, even though it doesn't happen all that often. I cannot count on it going 162, but it happens. Missed the green long... BOGEY! The pure sweet spot of the 2.0 is HOT!!

Last edited:
Update of the wear on my 2.0's. Still looking great after lots of range time and close to 15 rounds.
gilfvidspics006.jpg

gilfvidspics007.jpg

gilfvidspics004.jpg

gilfvidspics008.jpg

gilfvidspics001.jpg

Last edited:
Quick update.

I went to the range last Friday with Yorkem to do some "tandem testing". I focused on making crisp contact with the irons and tried working the ball a little bit. I'm going to break this down to what I consider "similar" clubs.

8-PW
Contact was crisp and very consistent with perfect looking divots. Each time I took a swing The ball flight was nice and high and would have stopped quickly on a green. I worked a little bit on drawing the ball and was getting mixed results. More often than not, the shot would just end up straight rather than have any movement.

6-7
These are what I call my "mid-irons". I again was making good contact with both of them. They were very slightly less consistent than the 8-PW but still very good. I again tried to work the ball a bit and found these much easier to draw the ball. I could have anything from a nice 5 yard draw to a hard 15 yard draw with ease. I also took a few punch shots with the 7I and each one stayed low with ease.

4-5
The long irons have been getting more love from me lately and they deserve it. When struck cleanly, they go forever. I hit these for a good 30-40 balls and just can't get enough of the piercing ball flight. I also tried to work on drawing these but more often than not, it ended up being either a hook, hit fat or a shank. I do much better when just hitting these straight. I picked a target and was fairly consistently (70%) dropping it within 20 feet.

Overall the ball-striking for the night was about average. Nothing spectacular but not a night that made me want to throw the clubs in a lake. I also had some good company which always helps :D. You guys better watch out at the outing...Yorkem is hitting the ball really well.

Had a nice range session yesterday and shot some video. My swing is progressing and the 2.0's are performing well. I am loving the sound and feel of good contact with these sticks. This is an 8 iron. First two were struck very well, the third was hit thin. You can hear the difference. First two went about 165 with a beautiful ball flight, and the third about the same, just a lower ball flight and some rollout.

Here is the PW. All 3 struck well. Distance was about 140ish.

This is the 4 iron. Trying to work the ball and hit 3 different shots. First swing was a nice high fade about 210(my natural ball flight), second was a draw swing about 220 (tougher for me to hit but good result), and the third was supposed to be straight which actually sliced about 15 yards and only went about 200 (ugly). HAHA Contact was pretty good on all 3, results good on two of them. Free commentary by my buddy Jeff!

Last edited:
Had a nice range session yesterday and shot some video. My swing is progressing and the 2.0's are performing well. I am loving the sound and feel of good contact with these sticks. This is an 8 iron. First two were struck very well, the third was hit thin. You can hear the difference. First two went about 165 with a beautiful ball flight, and the third about the same, just a lower ball flight and some rollout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDZhvjmwIzA&feature=player_detailpage

Good vid TH, I can really hear the difference. Did you see some 'mat wear' on the sole after hitting these off the range mats? If so, how easy did it come off?

Good vid TH, I can really hear the difference. Did you see some 'mat wear' on the sole after hitting these off the range mats? If so, how easy did it come off?

Yeah, mats suck. But we have very few grass ranges close to my house. There was the usual green mat residue, but a wet towel removed it quickly.

CB, I am playing the stock shafts, and have not really seen an issue with this, but, the stock shafts are actually the correct shaft for me too. I have had 1 or 2 flyers that were just nuked, but other than that, they have been really consistent for me.

Love the videos guys, I liked that setup one Yorkem, well done

Thanks buddy, that is good to hear, and I am glad you liked it.

Here is the PW. All 3 struck well. Distance was about 140ish.

This is the 4 iron. Trying to work the ball and hit 3 different shots. First swing was a nice high fade about 210(my natural ball flight), second was a draw swing about 220 (tougher for me to hit but good result), and the third was supposed to be straight which actually sliced about 15 yards and only went about 200 (ugly). HAHA Contact was pretty good on all 3, results good on two of them. Free commentary by my buddy Jeff!

Great videos TH! The sound is unbelievable.

I got out on the course Sunday late, and forgot my FLIP. I really wish I would have had it because I had a bunker shot that would have been a perfect follow up to the other videos I posted. Instead, I will describe it for you. The bunker was so deep that I not only could not see the green, but I could not see the flag. I had about 5 feet between my ball and the wall of sand leading to the lip, so I had to get it up fast, but then had 25-30 feet of green to get to the pin. I took a nice full swing, and popped that ball up and out. I ran out the side of the bunker up on to the apron in time to see it spin and stop about 6 feet short of the pin. I was playing with Chunky, and 2 other people we had never met, and one of them asked if he could get a video on how to do that. I said sure, just go to thehackersparadise.com and check out this thread. Don't know if he will, but it was really fitting based on my last video.

I got out on the course Sunday late, and forgot my FLIP. I really wish I would have had it because I had a bunker shot that would have been a perfect follow up to the other videos I posted. Instead, I will describe it for you. The bunker was so deep that I not only could not see the green, but I could not see the flag. I had about 5 feet between my ball and the wall of sand leading to the lip, so I had to get it up fast, but then had 25-30 feet of green to get to the pin. I took a nice full swing, and popped that ball up and out. I ran out the side of the bunker up on to the apron in time to see it spin and stop about 6 feet short of the pin. I was playing with Chunky, and 2 other people we had never met, and one of them asked if he could get a video on how to do that. I said sure, just go to thehackersparadise.com and check out this thread. Don't know if he will, but it was really fitting based on my last video.

Cool story Yorkem... way to rep THP! Oh yeah, and nice shot!

Cool story Yorkem... way to rep THP! Oh yeah, and nice shot!

If I could have had Chunky standing on the green taking video it would have been awesome. You would have seen nothing but an explosion of sand, and a ball come flying out of nowhere followed by me running around the side of the bunker.

I have some video from my round yesterday. I am trying to get it ready and downloaded. Here was probably the best shot of the round for me with the 2.0's. 164 yard Par 3. Hit 8 iron. Hit it just about perfect. Good aggressive swing, but not an overswing. The sound was perfect and I knew when I hit it it was going to be good. Almost felt like I hit nothing. Love the feel of a well struck 2.0! Great ball flight, high and about 5 feet of fade (probabaly a little wind aided), landed about 165 yards, 6 feet left of the pin, spun back about 4 feet from the ball mark. These greens are hard and every ball was taking a big hop, so it actually spun more like 8-10 feet back, but from the mark it was about 4 feet. Pin high with a 7 foot birdie putt which I promply missed. Dissapointing putt, great iron shot = PAR!

I have some video from my round yesterday. I am trying to get it ready and downloaded. Here was probably the best shot of the round for me with the 2.0's. 164 yard Par 3. Hit 8 iron. Hit it just about perfect. Good aggressive swing, but not an overswing. The sound was perfect and I knew when I hit it it was going to be good. Almost felt like I hit nothing. Love the feel of a well struck 2.0! Great ball flight, high and about 5 feet of fade (probabaly a little wind aided), landed about 165 yards, 6 feet left of the pin, spun back about 4 feet from the ball mark. These greens are hard and every ball was taking a big hop, so it actually spun more like 8-10 feet back, but from the mark it was about 4 feet. Pin high with a 7 foot birdie putt which I promply missed. Dissapointing putt, great iron shot = PAR!

That was nice TH! Looks like a well maintained course too.

That was nice TH! Looks like a well maintained course too.

Yeah... good eye. It was a Country Club. Rainier Golf and CC. First time playing there. Old school course with postage stamp greens and thin fairways. Accuracy was at a premium. I will write up the round tomorrow as I forgot the scorecard in my bag. I really enjoyed the round and the 2.0's made me proud. On another note, my R11 driver is about to be replaced! Big time struggles with it lately.

Great video and shot TH18, that course looks nice! That shot sounded pured

Back