TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

I have 50, 54 and 58 degree TM wedges. The 2.0 SW (55*), like others have said is great for the rough, and great for fluffy lies, but from tight lies and the sand it has not worked well for me at all. It is probably more mental for me than actual performance of the club, but it just doesn't look like any wedge I am used to and I have little to no confidence with it. More of a preference on my part than performance. I did hit the SW pretty good on the range earlier this week, so I am getting a little more used to it.

You're right, having the PW at 45*, and getting the 52* bent to 50* would then leave me with a 6* gap to the 56*.

Not sure what I'm going to do...

...just tap it in...

As others have said, just get the 56* bent to 55*, and keep your gaps.

Little bit late to answer but....

I was in the same position as you are. I have bent my 52* to 50*. This is allowing for comfortable gaps between all my clubs. My PW goes 135 and now my 50* goes 125.

The only club in set that I don't care for much is the SW. The club hits fine out of the rough and fairway but I just don't like it out of the sand. It feels very awkward to try and open the face with that club. I have given some practice in a bunker and was much more reliable with my blade 60* wedge. On a few occasions, I even shanked the SW in the sand. I feel like the large flange on the bottom is preventing me from really opening the face with ease.

I have 50, 54 and 58 degree TM wedges. The 2.0 SW (55*), like others have said is great for the rough, and great for fluffy lies, but from tight lies and the sand it has not worked well for me at all. It is probably more mental for me than actual performance of the club, but it just doesn't look like any wedge I am used to and I have little to no confidence with it. More of a preference on my part than performance. I did hit the PW pretty good on the range earlier this week, so I am getting a little more used to it.

I am pretty good coming out of the sand with the 56*SW, and I will try to get some video up this weekend showing how I get the face open for those tight bunker shots. As far as hitting it off of hardpan, i will actually close the face a little, take a little steeper swing plane, and that seems to keep me from blading it at all. Hope this helps.

So here's an update after having an interesting league night.

Some background: Our league decided to have a night where we were only allowed to use 3 clubs. I brought with me a hybrid, 7I and a 50* wedge. Let's take a look at how the 7I performed last night....

It performed very well, to say the least. The ball flew nice and high with the perfect amount of spin. I was hitting my distance number on the dot (175) and couldn't ask for anything more. I ended up using the 7I to tee off on most holes so I had a nice number for my second shot. Every tee shot (except 1) with the iron went nice and straight and exactly to my distance number. The sound was perfect on every shot and as soon as I hit the ball, I knew precisely where it was going.

I hit the 7I into the green on 2 occasions. The first was on the second hole. I teed off with a perfect 7I and left myself with a 155 yard shot into the green. I could have sworn that I was going to hit the 150 marker with my shot....Couldn't ask for any better accuracy. With my second shot being 155, I choked up about 2" on the club and took my normal swing. The ball jumped off the face and headed straight at the pin. It landed about 2 yards shy and one hop/stopped about 1 foot from the hole. The amount of spin was perfect, the accuracy was perfect, and the distance was perfect.

The second time I hit into the green was on the 9th hole. I again teed off with the 7I. I was fairly sweaty at this point from the humidity and while taking a practice swing, noticed that my hands were slipping on the grip. I went ahead and hit my tee shot but the grip twisted in my hands. The odd part was that it twisted in my glove hand as well. This was an issue that I mentioned a while ago about how the grips lose their tackiness when it gets humid. The clubs were forgiving enough to have me land in the left rough rather than off in the woods. The second shot was from about 145 so again, I decided to choke up on the club and give it a nice easy swing. The ball popped out of the rough with ease and landed about 5 yards short of the green. I don't fault the club on this, I think I just swung a bit easy.

One shot I was expecting to test but never got the chance to was a punch shot out of the trees. Amazingly enough, I only missed the fairway once all night when teeing off with the 7I. So I was not able to test this shot. I guess that's a good thing right? :D

We have plans to do this next week as well (3 club league play). I plan on bringing 7I, 50* and putter this week. Let me know if there are any specialty shots that you would like me to try out.

So for those who are not fond of the 2.0 SW, would you not even consider the 2.0 LW for concern you'd think it was even worse?

So for those who are not fond of the 2.0 SW, would you not even consider the 2.0 LW for concern you'd think it was even worse?

Since I have started playing, I have played with forged wedges. It's not that the club is bad, I think I am just not used to it. The same goes for the LW.

Pretty sure I'm going to the range tomorrow night with Jefrazie and Yorkem. Pretty excited to see these irons in action. I will be bringing my 2.0 6I with Matrix shaft if Jefrazie wants to test it out. There will be video shot!!:bananadance:

Pretty sure I'm going to the range tomorrow night with Jefrazie and Yorkem. Pretty excited to see these irons in action. I will be bringing my 2.0 6I with Matrix shaft if Jefrazie wants to test it out. There will be video shot!!:bananadance:

Bring it. I'm interested in seeing how the graphite shaft performs.

Awesome! It would be cool to hit them them head to head and see how much the shaft changes ball flights and distances.

So tonight I had a case of the pulls, but according to the video, it's because I went back to my old swing. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but it didn't affect the performance of the clubs. My ball flight was still absolutely perfect, and I love it. This shaft/head combo has produced exactly what I was looking for; long irons that get up, and short irons that don't balloon. There is a good deal of spin on these shots as well.

This is a 9 iron that I'm hitting. You can see the pull, but it was a pull fade, so it ended up on target.

[video=youtube;99oy1-u0aqw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99oy1-u0aqw[/video]

I finally got the Flip back from my wife and took it to the range yesterday. It was really hot here (mid 90s) so the ball was really flying. I did see 1-2 screamers with my 8 iron that went 7-10 yards farther than my normal distance (checked with a Callaway laser). These were regularly struck shots too, not low skulls and I dont remember ever trying to really mash one.

First video is an up close view of impact. Its very easy to hear how great well struck shots sound. The first 2 are well struck, the 3rd a bit fat. (using 8 iron)

2nd video is a down the line shot. All 3 shots were pretty well struck, with the 2nd being the worst and off towards the toe a bit. With the yellow balls, its pretty easy to see them fly down the range.

The second is a down the line view, hopefully you can see the balls take off after impact. Very consistent boring trajectory with the 8 iron.

I finally got the Flip back from my wife and took it to the range yesterday. It was really hot here (mid 90s) so the ball was really flying. I did see 1-2 screamers with my 8 iron that went 7-10 yards farther than my normal distance (checked with a Callaway laser). These were regularly struck shots too, not low skulls and I dont remember ever trying to really mash one.

First video is an up close view of impact. Its very easy to hear how great well struck shots sound. The first 2 are well struck, the 3rd a bit fat. (using 8 iron)

2nd video is a down the line shot. All 3 shots were pretty well struck, with the 2nd being the worst and off towards the toe a bit. With the yellow balls, its pretty easy to see them fly down the range.

The second is a down the line view, hopefully you can see the balls take off after impact. Very consistent boring trajectory with the 8 iron.

Nice Dubs. Good swings. I love the sound off the clubface with good contact.

Absolutely, the FLIP is charged up!

So tonight I had a case of the pulls, but according to the video, it's because I went back to my old swing. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but it didn't affect the performance of the clubs. My ball flight was still absolutely perfect, and I love it. This shaft/head combo has produced exactly what I was looking for; long irons that get up, and short irons that don't balloon. There is a good deal of spin on these shots as well.

This is a 9 iron that I'm hitting. You can see the pull, but it was a pull fade, so it ended up on target.

[video=youtube;99oy1-u0aqw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99oy1-u0aqw[/video]

Great posts guys! I do love the sound these make at impact.

Ball flight looked really good with the 8 iron. Was it me, or was the last one a little higher? Great angle with the camera and you are right, it's easy to see the yellow range balls.

Loved the effortless swing. Same thing happened for me when I hit them, the club does all the work and you can save your energy for grinding away on putts.

Ball flight looked really good with the 8 iron. Was it me, or was the last one a little higher? Great angle with the camera and you are right, it's easy to see the yellow range balls.

Loved the effortless swing. Same thing happened for me when I hit them, the club does all the work and you can save your energy for grinding away on putts.

The 3rd one was a bit higher. The camera angle was pure luck, I just sat it up on top of my Callaway laser pointer and it was the perfect height.

I plan on getting some video tonight. Hopefully I don't embarrass myself too much. :D

I plan on getting some video tonight. Hopefully I don't embarrass myself too much. :D

You won't, don't worry. I hope to get some more shots in tomorrow, and maybe get some of those at impact.

Love the angle of the first video. And the sound coming off from a perfectly struck shot makes me giggle a little!

Recently there was some talk on this thread about the SW, and possible difficulties in using it with the face open, to get out of bunkers. I have put together a pair of videos below showing that not only can it be done, but if using proper form, it is quite easy. Forgive me for cutting of the top of my head a little. I did not realize it until I uploaded.

Good little setup video yorkem! I to like that wedge out of a bunker, so much forgiveness with it.

--
tapatalk

One well struck 4 Iron from the side. Man I love that sound.

[video=youtube;o_Ogh-jK4YI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Ogh-jK4YI[/video]

Loving the videos. Great stuff guys.

Great videos Yorkem. Do you find it more difficult because you swing from the wrong side?

Next time we are out, hopefully I'll have my new wedges, I'd like to spend some time in the sand and pick your brain!

Uhm that is an expensive alignment tool buddy!! Great videos Anthony. :call-me:

Nice videos Yorkem, cool stuff. Heading back out there tomorrow hopefully.

Back