TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

Nice review Josh. We agree almost across the board.

No doubt about it they're really good sticks in the right hands. Glad you found success with them! I wish they worked for me but I just never got comfortable with them

I agree with Hanks here. They are a great set for most golfers, but not all. If your miss is a hook (like mine) the longer irons may have too much offset for your liking. That said, the mid to short irons are incredible. With all the set options available from TaylorMade, I'd gladly buy the 6-SW and just pick up 2 neutral faced hybrids to fill the gap. I know I may be in the minority about the SW too, but it works well for me.

Great review Josh. You hit on all the exact same points that I did. Glad to know that I'm not the only one hitting these 10 yards longer on average. I was worried it could have been my swing!!! :D

Great write up and I really like the grading system. Your write up seemed extremely well thought out and was very results oriented. Great great job testing these and writing up your results.

Hi All.... New to THP but signed up after reading the Burner 2.0 thread. My pro lent me his TM Burner 2.0 6 iron during a lesson, I hit it 15 yards further than my Nike Slingshot 2010 6 iron. It just felt right !!! Anyway I've ordered a 5 to PW and cant wait to get them, shame about the Slingshots but I bought them on impulse (lesson learned) :-(

Welcome to THP! Don't forget to go to the check in desk and let your fellow Hackers know all about you. There's lot's more to see at THP.

I agree with Hanks here. They are a great set for most golfers, but not all. If your miss is a hook (like mine) the longer irons may have too much offset for your liking. That said, the mid to short irons are incredible. With all the set options available from TaylorMade, I'd gladly buy the 6-SW and just pick up 2 neutral faced hybrids to fill the gap. I know I may be in the minority about the SW too, but it works well for me.

I have to agree with you there too. I could see how that could be a problem for sure. And for me, the SW works when taking full shots, or when hitting bump and runs around the green. Other than that, I can't really do anything with the wedge.

I've ordered Burner 2.0s Graphite Regular 65 ? But my pro suggested M-flex...The pro shop was going to charge me 850 euros for the 6-PW !!! So I went on ebay and got a 5-pw for 300 euros but I could only get them in Regular. I like to support the pro shop and will get my Superfast 2.0 hybrids and wedges from there. Hope the regular flex is OK for me :call-me: can anyone advise me if there is a massive difference between Regular Flex and M-flex ?

PS
The ebay seller is a TaylorMade Guru and has over 15000 sales with 99% positive feedback

I honestly don't really know the difference between the two. If they are close to each other, the stiffer of the two will provide tighter dispersion while the flexible one will have a little more distance. I think this is right, someone will need to confirm.

Tappin' away from my DROIDX.

Very nice review JR

Argggghhhhhhh............My 2.0s were delivered today but I missed the postie, typical, I go out for 5 minutes and they arrive :angry: I will have to wait until monday now :banghead:

Argggghhhhhhh............My 2.0s were delivered today but I missed the postie, typical, I go out for 5 minutes and they arrive :angry: I will have to wait until monday now :banghead:

Ohhh...that stinks buddy. I think I would be chasing him down the street. hahaha

I still think he was a "Stealth" postie, either that or he used to be a japanese sniper :at-wits-end:

I still think he was a "Stealth" postie, either that or he used to be a japanese sniper :at-wits-end:

Good work on the purchase, keep us updated on your thoughts on the irons and the graphite shafts.

Good work on the purchase, keep us updated on your thoughts on the irons and the graphite shafts.

I certainly will dubble.....Will put in a driving range report on Monday

These Burners just get better and better - in the last week I have hit the best 4 & 5 iron shots of my life, which both led to eagles. I put it down to the confidence that these clubs have given me to pull off the shot!

I have also managed to break the shaft in my SW :angry:, which I have replaced with a DG Spinner. So far, I really like it - great feel and loads of spin. I know it's a taper tip, but the head hasn't flown off so far!

These Burners just get better and better - in the last week I have hit the best 4 & 5 iron shots of my life, which both led to eagles. I put it down to the confidence that these clubs have given me to pull off the shot!

I have also managed to break the shaft in my SW :angry:, which I have replaced with a DG Spinner. So far, I really like it - great feel and loads of spin. I know it's a taper tip, but the head hasn't flown off so far!

Hi Homer I only had an afternoon with the burner 2.0 6 iron but was so consistant with it (I am a proper Hacker) so I ordered the set....Do you think they will help me with my game ?

Hi Homer I only had an afternoon with the burner 2.0 6 iron but was so consistant with it (I am a proper Hacker) so I ordered the set....Do you think they will help me with my game ?

What do u like / not like about your current set? Whats your typical iron miss? Give us some more info and hopefully we can help...

*tt

I also recently purchased the 2.0's and they should get here on Tuesday, which means I should be able to hit them a couple times before the courses in the area close!! Really excited after going through some of thread again! I was originally going to get them with the X-100's but after that sale fell through, I found a set with stock stiff. Can anyone compare it to the S-300??

Man, there has been a run on buying 2.0's in last week! Congrats on your purchases guys. There is a lot to love about these irons!

Quick update from a range session on Friday:

If you didn't read my previous update, I pulled a Mcilroy and hit a root, hurting my wrist last Sunday. I gave it a few days off and headed to the range to see how the wrist acted on Friday.

I hadn't swung a club since the injury so I took it easy and warmed up for a good 10 minutes before ever hitting a ball. The wrist felt a bit tight but no real pain. Started off hitting PW with about a 75% swing. Ball flight was normal, high and straight, and the wrist didn't seem to hurt with the small divots that I was taking. With a 75% swing I noticed that I was hitting my 125 target which translates into 10 yards shorter than my normal distance....not too bad. I continually moved up the set one club at a time, still swinging 75%. Once I reached the 6I, I had hit somewhere on the order of 75 balls and the wrist was still doing ok. Started hitting the 6I ok but caught one hard off the toe and jerked my wrist. Didn't hurt too badly but I realized that long clubs are going to take a bit more time. I gingerly tried the 5 and was making good contact but getting a bit of pain with each hit. I didn't even bother hitting the 3 or 4 since the 5 was hurting a bit.

So....long story short; the wrist is getting better. One observation while hitting 75% is that I was making crisp contact almost every time. Out of the total ~120 balls that I hit, I really only mishit 4-5. All the others were perfectly straight, high and right on target with only a 10 yard loss or so. After the session, I went home and put some ice on the wrist and later a heating pad. Feels much better today with minimal soreness. I plan on going out again this week to the range to see how the wrist is coming along.

What do u like / not like about your current set? Whats your typical iron miss? Give us some more info and hopefully we can help...

*tt
Thanks Dubble.....My "old" set were Nike Slingshots 2010 (Regular Steel) They are a very heavy iron and I had problems turning my hands over and was constantly slicing/pushing the ball even though I new I was doing it !!! I suffer from heart and lung disease so the combination of the heavy club quickly tired me out ! And the more tired I was the more shots I missed.

Now today I recieved my Burner 2.0s Regular Graphite :banana:.....Went off to the range......and OMG.....Not one push or slice hitting the little white thing with a lovely draw (never,never repeat never have I hit the ball with a draw. Started with the 7 iron 140 yards lovely draw, 6 iron 150 yards lovely draw, 5 iron 160 yards lovely draw...After 40 balls got tired and left with a big big smile on my face :D
Does anyone think I should tell my wife that i'm having a love affair !!!!!

Thanks Dubble.....My "old" set were Nike Slingshots 2010 (Regular Steel) They are a very heavy iron and I had problems turning my hands over and was constantly slicing/pushing the ball even though I new I was doing it !!! I suffer from heart and lung disease so the combination of the heavy club quickly tired me out ! And the more tired I was the more shots I missed.

Now today I recieved my Burner 2.0s Regular Graphite :banana:.....Went off to the range......and OMG.....Not one push or slice hitting the little white thing with a lovely draw (never,never repeat never have I hit the ball with a draw. Started with the 7 iron 140 yards lovely draw, 6 iron 150 yards lovely draw, 5 iron 160 yards lovely draw...After 40 balls got tired and left with a big big smile on my face :D

Great story man, love to hear about someone getting clubs that make the game easier for them and change how they can play. Really looking forward to your thoughts when you get these clubs out on the course.

Great story man, love to hear about someone getting clubs that make the game easier for them and change how they can play. Really looking forward to your thoughts when you get these clubs out on the course.

Thanks Coolbreeze ....Will do

Pegasus - Glad to hear you had a great first range session. Keep up the good shots, keep your 'love affair' under wraps, and keep updating us. What's your goal of your next range session? Short clubs? Wedges? I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the P - L wedges with the graphite.

Great news man! Congrats. Honesty is always the best policywith your wife! :)

Back