TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

Pegasus - Glad to hear you had a great first range session. Keep up the good shots, keep your 'love affair' under wraps, and keep updating us. What's your goal of your next range session? Short clubs? Wedges? I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the P - L wedges with the graphite.

Well i've been out on the range everyday this week and mostly played the 8,7,6,5 (still no pushes or slices...Well OK maybe 1 out of 40 balls but hey !!) Still hitting draws :act-up: And I had a lesson with my pro, he commented on how consistant I had become with these clubs, so at the moment I'm sticking to practising with the 8,7,6,5 until I am happy ! I can only hit 40 balls at the moment until I tire out so maybe next week I will try out the wedges. Curiously my pro suggested I get the Taylormade Z groove TP wedges 52-56-60 stiff, and sell my burners wedges?
Off to the range again tomorrow to try and get my fitness up (I would stay all day hitting these babies if I could)

Quick update from a range session on Friday:

If you didn't read my previous update, I pulled a Mcilroy and hit a root, hurting my wrist last Sunday. I gave it a few days off and headed to the range to see how the wrist acted on Friday.

I hadn't swung a club since the injury so I took it easy and warmed up for a good 10 minutes before ever hitting a ball. The wrist felt a bit tight but no real pain. Started off hitting PW with about a 75% swing. Ball flight was normal, high and straight, and the wrist didn't seem to hurt with the small divots that I was taking. With a 75% swing I noticed that I was hitting my 125 target which translates into 10 yards shorter than my normal distance....not too bad. I continually moved up the set one club at a time, still swinging 75%. Once I reached the 6I, I had hit somewhere on the order of 75 balls and the wrist was still doing ok. Started hitting the 6I ok but caught one hard off the toe and jerked my wrist. Didn't hurt too badly but I realized that long clubs are going to take a bit more time. I gingerly tried the 5 and was making good contact but getting a bit of pain with each hit. I didn't even bother hitting the 3 or 4 since the 5 was hurting a bit.

So....long story short; the wrist is getting better. One observation while hitting 75% is that I was making crisp contact almost every time. Out of the total ~120 balls that I hit, I really only mishit 4-5. All the others were perfectly straight, high and right on target with only a 10 yard loss or so. After the session, I went home and put some ice on the wrist and later a heating pad. Feels much better today with minimal soreness. I plan on going out again this week to the range to see how the wrist is coming along.

Hmmm...where have I heard that before...oh yeah, I said the same thing. It is awesome to know if you are having a tough day you can fall back to 3/4 shots and get around the course pretty well.

Lets remember that this testing is still ongoing. Thank you to those that continue to update this thread as seasons wind down. For those that have stopped, please try and find your way back in the thread. If you are not playing, discuss technology, ask those that are questions, compare your findings, etc...

Hmmm...where have I heard that before...oh yeah, I said the same thing. It is awesome to know if you are having a tough day you can fall back to 3/4 shots and get around the course pretty well.

Ive noticed this before too and I think it goes right back to tempo. When you think aboot hitting a 75% shot for me it usually turns into hitting a normal shot but with a better tempo is all.

Lets remember that this testing is still ongoing. Thank you to those that continue to update this thread as seasons wind down. For those that have stopped, please try and find your way back in the thread. If you are not playing, discuss technology, ask those that are questions, compare your findings, etc...

In my humble opinion ( I am by no means a quality golfer/handicapper) These clubs have transformed my game for the better, yes they are expensive (you definately get what you pay for ), BUT, for any high to mid handicapper looking to buy a set of new clubs for game improvement you must look at these. I spend most of my golf days on the driving range and I cant wait to get out onto the course with them.

Ive noticed this before too and I think it goes right back to tempo. When you think aboot hitting a 75% shot for me it usually turns into hitting a normal shot but with a better tempo is all.

That is an interesting thought Kevin, and I definitely slow down and smooth out my tempo, but, I also do not take the club as far back. I just feel like it gets me in better position, and while I call it a 3/4 shot, it is definitely more than that, because by making better contact, especially with these irons, I do not lose 25% of my distance. Maybe 15%, but there is definitely more to it for me than just slowing down and evening out my tempo.

I agree with this 100% Kev. Not just with the Burner 2s, but with my whole bag. Finding the patience to do this on course, under the gun is a whole separate issue.

In my humble opinion ( I am by no means a quality golfer/handicapper) These clubs have transformed my game for the better, yes they are expensive (you definately get what you pay for ), BUT, for any high to mid handicapper looking to buy a set of new clubs for game improvement you must look at these. I spend most of my golf days on the driving range and I cant wait to get out onto the course with them.

While they are expensive on a pure amount basis, I dont think they are 'expensive' when compared to similar clubs in the same market category.

Sampling from GolfGalaxy (in american dollars):
TM Burner 2 - $699 4-AW steel
Ping G15 - $599 4-UW Steel
Mizuno Jpx 800 - $699 4-GW Steel
Callaway Razr X - $699 4-GW Steel

I agree with this 100% Kev. Not just with the Burner 2s, but with my whole bag. Finding the patience to do this on course, under the gun is a whole separate issue.

While they are expensive on a pure amount basis, I dont think they are 'expensive' when compared to similar clubs in the same market category.

Sampling from GolfGalaxy (in american dollars):
TM Burner 2 - $699 4-AW steel
Ping G15 - $599 4-UW Steel
Mizuno Jpx 800 - $699 4-GW Steel
Callaway Razr X - $699 4-GW Steel

I agree Dubbledxu, I was trying to say that but, "lost in translation", they are not expensive when you think of the quality, design and player friendliness :clapp:

But remember I was quoted 125 euros per club (average per club) thats around $175 per club.....Thats not cheap over here in Europe:bulgy-eyes:

That is an interesting thought Kevin, and I definitely slow down and smooth out my tempo, but, I also do not take the club as far back. I just feel like it gets me in better position, and while I call it a 3/4 shot, it is definitely more than that, because by making better contact, especially with these irons, I do not lose 25% of my distance. Maybe 15%, but there is definitely more to it for me than just slowing down and evening out my tempo.

yorkem, you know why you dont lose much distance? You are making better sweet spot contact on those swings as you keep everything in better control. I had a lesson during the year and one of the things he kept telling me was to think about hitting all my shorts at 75% for this very reason. Make better contact and get better results. And like dubbledxu says its very hard to do though.

I can see that type of transformation happening. I had a very nice set of irons before these, (R9's), and the Burner 2.0's are noticably better for my game as a lower handicapper. The added distance is nice, but the feel and sound is just awesome (and they look great!). I also agree that if you are in the market for a set of GI Irons, the 2.0's are on the must hit list for sure.

yorkem, you know why you dont lose much distance? You are making better sweet spot contact on those swings as you keep everything in better control. I had a lesson during the year and one of the things he kept telling me was to think about hitting all my shorts at 75% for this very reason. Make better contact and get better results. And like dubbledxu says its very hard to do though.

That makes a ton of sense, and when you add in the thinner face of the 2.0's, it all equals more control with less distance loss.

That makes a ton of sense, and when you add in the thinner face of the 2.0's, it all equals more control with less distance loss.

Exactly. I wish I could make myself swing like this more though.

Very true. However, I haven't really been making bad contact with a full swing. I feel like my ball striking has gotten extremely consistent lately. My misses are generally just bad aiming or a slight pull.

On another note, I plan on getting out for 18 this weekend and testing my wrist fully. Hopefully all goes well.

I can see that type of transformation happening. I had a very nice set of irons before these, (R9's), and the Burner 2.0's are noticably better for my game as a lower handicapper. The added distance is nice, but the feel and sound is just awesome (and they look great!). I also agree that if you are in the market for a set of GI Irons, the 2.0's are on the must hit list for sure.

This is a very good post! This just goes to show that a low handicap, like yourself, can find improvement in their game using GI irons. So many people want to hit the AP's, MP's, TP's, etc and it doesn't fit their game at all. You being a low handicap can take full advantage of said clubs, but chose to stick with the 2.0's because they are "noticeably better for my game".

Good post man! Mid-handicapers should take this post to heart when shopping for irons.

Phew, just got out of the roughest week of my school career, and finally was able to hit some balls today. I'll go ahead and say that as mentioned above, the 3/4 swing is absolutely amazing to fall back on, and it was much needed during this session. I've re-injured the finger, and am having to hold the club differently so I don't much any pressure on my ligament. It's probably not smart, but it's been a few days since I made a post so I had to go hit! I'm still backing the grades I gave this set the other day, and nothing significant has changed. I will say that I have been playing around with the SW a lot more, mostly with chipping. The technology in these clubs is very evident for me when I chip, because it seems like the ball just shoots right off the face with no effort. The chips are all good though, as they have good check up on them, and I can do pretty well with them. On a another note, I did see a lot more nukes today, but like someone said earlier, when you swing with more control, you tend to hit the sweet spot more often. I think that pretty much gives a solid reason for the long shots. I also think that is the one thing that everyone in this thread has had in common. The ability to slow down the swing a little, and hit these clubs with ease, with minimal to no distance loss. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

One thing I thought about yesterday was the progressive toplines on the 2.0's. This is actually similar to the idea that the Nike Pro Combo's use where the scoring clubs are blades and the long irons are CB. With the 2.0's, the scoring clubs have a thinner topline and the longer have thicker for more forgiveness.

Just came to that realization last night and thought I'd share.

Pegasus - Glad to hear you had a great first range session. Keep up the good shots, keep your 'love affair' under wraps, and keep updating us. What's your goal of your next range session? Short clubs? Wedges? I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the P - L wedges with the graphite.

OK This is strange....Had another lesson today and used the burner 2.0 wedges...Could not hit them :banghead:...The shots were all over, shanks, toes, fat, thin :confused2:
Halfway through my lesson my pro gave me his Taylormade Z groove TP wedges 52-56-60 stiff ( he advised me to get these wedges before ).....And I started hitting decent shots :banana: He told me that these wedges are more suited to my swing and he told me that he didnt think I would suit the burner wedges reg flex when I ordered them So lesson learned (an expensive one ) ALWAYS LISTEN TO THE PRO......Taylormade Z groove TP wedges 52-56-60 stiff ordered....Burner 2.0 wedges on ebay...and now, I'm penniless BUT STILL HAPPY !

OK This is strange....Had another lesson today and used the burner 2.0 wedges...Could not hit them :banghead:...The shots were all over, shanks, toes, fat, thin :confused2:
Halfway through my lesson my pro gave me his Taylormade Z groove TP wedges 52-56-60 stiff ( he advised me to get these wedges before ).....And I started hitting decent shots :banana: He told me that these wedges are more suited to my swing and he told me that he didnt think I would suit the burner wedges reg flex when I ordered them So lesson learned (an expensive one ) ALWAYS LISTEN TO THE PRO......Taylormade Z groove TP wedges 52-56-60 stiff ordered....Burner 2.0 wedges on ebay...and now, I'm penniless BUT STILL HAPPY !

I have a similar setup. I use the 50, 54, 58 TM Z wedges. They are very nice and fit well with my Burner 2.0's ending with PW (45*). There are a ton of good wedges out there though. Good luck.

Thanks Tomahawk, I just wish I had listened to the advice my pro gave me, he also uses the burner 2.0s with the Taylormade Z groove TP wedges 52-56-60 stiff, he is around the same height as me (6' 3") but obviously a lot stronger.....I'm impressed that he knew and tried to tell me, I just got tunnel vision :beat-up:

Last edited:
Thanks Tomahawk, I just wish I had listened to the advice my pro gave me, he also uses the burner 2.0s with the Taylormade Z groove TP wedges 52-56-60 stiff, he is around the same height as me (6' 3") but obviously a lot stronger.....I'm impressed that he knew and tried to tell me, I just got tunnel vision :beat-up:

any specific reason he told you to go with 52, 56, 60? Since the PW is 45*, thats a pretty big gap from 45* to 52* (imo). I just don't know how comfortable I would be having a 7* gap then 4* and 4*. You can always have them bent down if the gap is too large, but just curious to why that was his recommended setup.

I played this week at a course that I haven't been to in over 10 years and managed to shoot a level par 72 after opening with a double bogey! My driver wasn't great today, but I still managed to hit 14 greens in regulation, thanks in part to some sensible 4 iron lay-ups off the tee on the shorter par 4s. I must say that my confidence is at an all time high and it is completely down to the Burner 2.0s - getting fitted made a real difference, because the combination of the Burners with DG SLs has been a revelation.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I have lost a little distance compared to my Burner 09s, but the stiffer shaft has given me a lower ball flight and much better dispersion. The highlight of the day was on the 16th hole - a 5 iron from about 175 yards into the wind and over water that finished about 8 feet from the hole and closed out the match in our fourball. There is no doubt that pulling off that shot is entirely down to my confidence in these clubs. :act-up:

I played this week at a course that I haven't been to in over 10 years and managed to shoot a level par 72 after opening with a double bogey! My driver wasn't great today, but I still managed to hit 14 greens in regulation, thanks in part to some sensible 4 iron lay-ups off the tee on the shorter par 4s. I must say that my confidence is at an all time high and it is completely down to the Burner 2.0s - getting fitted made a real difference, because the combination of the Burners with DG SLs has been a revelation.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I have lost a little distance compared to my Burner 09s, but the stiffer shaft has given me a lower ball flight and much better dispersion. The highlight of the day was on the 16th hole - a 5 iron from about 175 yards into the wind and over water that finished about 8 feet from the hole and closed out the match in our fourball. There is no doubt that pulling off that shot is entirely down to my confidence in these clubs. :act-up:

Great round and shot Homer, sounds like a tough shot indeed and to stick it to 8 feet is awesome

any specific reason he told you to go with 52, 56, 60? Since the PW is 45*, thats a pretty big gap from 45* to 52* (imo). I just don't know how comfortable I would be having a 7* gap then 4* and 4*. You can always have them bent down if the gap is too large, but just curious to why that was his recommended setup.

I ask him about this and his answer was that my game is developing (i dont even have a handicap yet) if I get to the stage when I need to "fill" the gap i can buy a 50*.....Makes sense really.

I ask him about this and his answer was that my game is developing (i dont even have a handicap yet) if I get to the stage when I need to "fill" the gap i can buy a 50*.....Makes sense really.

Good deal, again I was just curious. Its easy (and cheap) to have the wedges bent down a degree or 2 too. I think my local shop charges $5 each for this.

Ill probably buy a set on Ebay when the price drops im a club junkie and have an extra set of KBS tour shafts that need a head. I doubt I will ever take my R9tp out of play for tourneys but I need a club for the winter and the ranges around here they use rocks and I dont like my clubs hitting them.

Back