TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

The impact sound on these are just great. I don't know if its the thin walls coupled with the vibration badge behind it, but they are just awesome sounding. I hit the range today, and brought the video cam along. My results were typical of what I have seen so far. Slight-mid draws throughout the set with the occasional pull to the left. The grass tees were closed so I was relegated to the mats. The sound off the mats isn't quite as impressive as the sound from real turf, but it is still great. While the irons do pick up that green film on the bottom from the mats, it wiped off easily with a plastic brush and water.

Yorkem - I included a few titles and transitions from iMovie just for you...

Vid is private dubble. The mats that I normally use tend to leave the green stuck to the clubs for a good while. Either that or I have to scrub hard to get the green off.

Video lockdown changed. I uploaded directly from my new macbook and didn't know if defaulted to private.

The impact sound on these are just great. I don't know if its the thin walls coupled with the vibration badge behind it, but they are just awesome sounding. I hit the range today, and brought the video cam along. My results were typical of what I have seen so far. Slight-mid draws throughout the set with the occasional pull to the left. The grass tees were closed so I was relegated to the mats. The sound off the mats isn't quite as impressive as the sound from real turf, but it is still great. While the irons do pick up that green film on the bottom from the mats, it wiped off easily with a plastic brush and water.

Yorkem - I included a few titles and transitions from iMovie just for you...

That was awesome bro, thanks a bunch. The sound is awesome off the matts too, but you are right, not near as good as off of grass.

Hi everyone, my first post at THP!

I'm fairly new to golf, just started playing regularly at the end of August or so. Bought a Tigershark starter set shortly after and played with it for the rest of the season with predictably mixed results. I'm a hockey player by trade, so I have above average swing speed and I struggle with flexy clubs (especially drivers), and I didn't have much faith in my clubs even though my swing is basically self- and Youtube-taught. I knew in the offseason I wanted to go pick up a demo driver at my local golf store to replace the flexy starter set driver, and I was debating picking up new irons/hybrids as well if I could find a good deal.

I didn't even know which irons were on the market, and which were good (especially for a beginner), but the store had several demo Burner 2.0 iron sets on sale, and they came recommended from the salesman, so after doing some research, I came across this thread. Needless to say, the high praise reviews in this thread swung me to splurge on the irons! My best score after about 10 rounds of golf this year was 100 on a par-72 links course (I can't find handicap information on it but I think the total yardage was 6900 or so), but I'm excited to improve next year and hopefully, with a lesson or two helping my new clubs, I can start to shoot in the low 90s consistently.

I just bought them today and will be picking them up from the store next week, along with the other equipment in my signature. Now comes the hard part... waiting until next golf season to try them out!

My 2 main concerns with the irons are:
1) I'm used to hitting a 4 hybrid in my starter set. I had off and on days with it, and since my yardage is still fairly low (good drives are 250 at best, my longest iron/hybrid is 180), I kind of need to hit the 3/4 hybrids more often than other golfers. Having a true 4 iron was a little disconcerting at first, but after reading more reviews in this thread, it seems lots of players are happy with the club and I'm more confident now that I'll be able to learn how to hit it.

2) The only demo units that were good quality came in Burner stock shafts with R flex. I'm 6'3" and swing fairly hard, so I'm concerned that R flex isn't suitable for me. I intend to get fitted next year with these clubs, but then I'm even more scared they'll tell me I need to replace the shafts on all my clubs and it will cost me way more than I have budgeted, especially after already spending a fair bit of money on clubs already. How big of a concern is it if it turns out I need S shafts but don't want to drop the money on them? Can they fit me for a sort of second-best scenario and see if I can "get used to" R flex or something? I don't really know how big of a deal flex is for irons... I got a stiff shaft for my driver and hybrid, but maybe the difference between R and S flex on irons isn't as noticeable?

Anyway, thanks to all the people who posted impressions or reviews in this thread, you helped someone who knows little about golf equipment feel a lot better about a big purchase. I'll continue to keep tabs on this thread and maybe contribute as I try to get better!

1) I'm used to hitting a 4 hybrid in my starter set. I had off and on days with it, and since my yardage is still fairly low (good drives are 250 at best, my longest iron/hybrid is 180), I kind of need to hit the 3/4 hybrids more often than other golfers. Having a true 4 iron was a little disconcerting at first, but after reading more reviews in this thread, it seems lots of players are happy with the club and I'm more confident now that I'll be able to learn how to hit it.

2) The only demo units that were good quality came in Burner stock shafts with R flex. I'm 6'3" and swing fairly hard, so I'm concerned that R flex isn't suitable for me. I intend to get fitted next year with these clubs, but then I'm even more scared they'll tell me I need to replace the shafts on all my clubs and it will cost me way more than I have budgeted, especially after already spending a fair bit of money on clubs already. How big of a concern is it if it turns out I need S shafts but don't want to drop the money on them? Can they fit me for a sort of second-best scenario and see if I can "get used to" R flex or something? I don't really know how big of a deal flex is for irons... I got a stiff shaft for my driver and hybrid, but maybe the difference between R and S flex on irons isn't as noticeable?

First of all, welcome to THP. I'm glad you find our thread and even more glad you found it helpful. I'm not a fitting pro by any means, but hopefully I can answer your questions and give you some more direction.

1. Were you able to purchase the Burner 2.0 hybrid set instead of just the basic set? I assume not since you said you bought demos, but TM offers a burner 2 hybrid set where they include the 3-4 hybrid and the 5-pw irons. Might be something to keep in mind, or you could always buy a hybrid down the road.

2. The only way "to get used" to the R shafts would be to really slow your swing down. Unfortunately, the shaft flex is one of the most underrated aspects of clubs today (IMO). If you have too much flex, the ball will likely fly higher than you need it to and you will likely see your misses miss more than a shaft that fit your swing. This is because there is 'too much bend' in the shaft and it will lead to bigger shot dispersion.

While I applaud you for taking the time to research your purchase, I really wish you would've asked these questions BEFORE you pulled the trigger on your purchase. I know you said you got a deal now, but I suspect you could've gotten a very similar deal next spring on a set that was fit to you. Especially since you are 6'3", you may need longer shafts than standard anyways.

Anyway you can return your clubs and get your money back? It is possible to purchase shafts & have them replaced down the line, but it could be $100 or so for the whole set. Ideally, I'd try to return them (if possible) and save your money through the winter months and purchase a fitted set in the spring. Prices will certainly be lower (as more burner sets are on the market and newer iron sets hit the market), so I think you would be able to get a better deal come spring.

Sorry to bring the bad news, but I'm just trying to help. Make sense? Let us know about the returns and hopefully we can put together a good strategy to help you get into the low 90s next year.

Hi everyone, my first post at THP!

I'm fairly new to golf, just started playing regularly at the end of August or so. Bought a Tigershark starter set shortly after and played with it for the rest of the season with predictably mixed results. I'm a hockey player by trade, so I have above average swing speed and I struggle with flexy clubs (especially drivers), and I didn't have much faith in my clubs even though my swing is basically self- and Youtube-taught. I knew in the offseason I wanted to go pick up a demo driver at my local golf store to replace the flexy starter set driver, and I was debating picking up new irons/hybrids as well if I could find a good deal.

I didn't even know which irons were on the market, and which were good (especially for a beginner), but the store had several demo Burner 2.0 iron sets on sale, and they came recommended from the salesman, so after doing some research, I came across this thread. Needless to say, the high praise reviews in this thread swung me to splurge on the irons! My best score after about 10 rounds of golf this year was 100 on a par-72 links course (I can't find handicap information on it but I think the total yardage was 6900 or so), but I'm excited to improve next year and hopefully, with a lesson or two helping my new clubs, I can start to shoot in the low 90s consistently.

I just bought them today and will be picking them up from the store next week, along with the other equipment in my signature. Now comes the hard part... waiting until next golf season to try them out!

Anyway, thanks to all the people who posted impressions or reviews in this thread, you helped someone who knows little about golf equipment feel a lot better about a big purchase. I'll continue to keep tabs on this thread and maybe contribute as I try to get better!

Welcome to THP. Good first post.

The hybrid/iron debate is completely subjective. Some great players prefer hybrids and some below average players prefer long irons. Give your 4 iron a chance and you will know within a few rounds whether you are more consistent with your hybrid or long irons. Conventional wisdom says hybrids are a little easier to hit, but not for everyone.

I am also 6'3", but height has nothing to do with shaft flex. Swing speed and tempo are the most important factors. My driver swing speed averages 113 MPH which puts me in a Stiff to Stiff + shaft range. When I hit regular flex shafts, my dispersion rates get worse and my ball leaks right on nearly every shot. The regular flex shafts just cannot handle the amount of stress I put on them and the clubhead lags behind causing a fade. Shaft flex is an important factor in club fitting. What you need to do in the future is get clubs/shafts to fit your swing, rather than try to fit your swing to a club or shaft. This is achieved through a fitting. The equipment needs to work with you as much as possible, not against you.

All this being said, you made a great choice in a game improvement iron. The Burner 2.0's are a great club and you will more than likely see immediate improvements in distance, feel, sound, and foregiveness. I am concerned about your shaft, but without knowing what your stats are, can't really judge. Hopefully you get lucky and the R shaft is good for you. Good luck man!

Last edited:
First of all, welcome to THP. I'm glad you find our thread and even more glad you found it helpful. I'm not a fitting pro by any means, but hopefully I can answer your questions and give you some more direction.

1. Were you able to purchase the Burner 2.0 hybrid set instead of just the basic set? I assume not since you said you bought demos, but TM offers a burner 2 hybrid set where they include the 3-4 hybrid and the 5-pw irons. Might be something to keep in mind, or you could always buy a hybrid down the road.

2. The only way "to get used" to the R shafts would be to really slow your swing down. Unfortunately, the shaft flex is one of the most underrated aspects of clubs today (IMO). If you have too much flex, the ball will likely fly higher than you need it to and you will likely see your misses miss more than a shaft that fit your swing. This is because there is 'too much bend' in the shaft and it will lead to bigger shot dispersion.

While I applaud you for taking the time to research your purchase, I really wish you would've asked these questions BEFORE you pulled the trigger on your purchase. I know you said you got a deal now, but I suspect you could've gotten a very similar deal next spring on a set that was fit to you. Especially since you are 6'3", you may need longer shafts than standard anyways.

Anyway you can return your clubs and get your money back? It is possible to purchase shafts & have them replaced down the line, but it could be $100 or so for the whole set. Ideally, I'd try to return them (if possible) and save your money through the winter months and purchase a fitted set in the spring. Prices will certainly be lower (as more burner sets are on the market and newer iron sets hit the market), so I think you would be able to get a better deal come spring.

Sorry to bring the bad news, but I'm just trying to help. Make sense? Let us know about the returns and hopefully we can put together a good strategy to help you get into the low 90s next year.

I could not have said this better myself. This ^^^^^ is exactly what I would suggest you do.

First off, welcome to the forum!

Dubble said it perfectly. For reference, I am 6'4" and have a driver swing in the 110-115 range. I was fitted for a Stiff or X-Stiff driver and Stiff iron shafts. I also play +1" longer shafts and 2* upright club head. Your best decision at this point would be to get fitted. If they fit you for shaft length difference, they can add extenders vs replacing the entire shaft. They can also bend your clubhead a bit upright or downwards. The R vs S flex will best be decided by your fitter. He can give you insight into the correct flex for your swing. I used to play with a Uniflex shaft from Callaway and had no problems so you might not see any problems at all with a R flex.

Welcome to THP

I like you "jumped" in and bought a set of burner 2.0s in Regular graphite flex (My pro advised I get Senior graphite flex or M flex) My clubs are so suited to me I'm glad I jumped in. I was lucky ! I am also 6' 3" but feel no need to extend them ( I did own Nike Slingshots that I had extended 1 inch).

Let us know how you get on with them and good luck .

I agree with the others as well. If you can somehow cancel that purchase and wait until spring, you will be much happier with your purchase. At that height, and with that fast of a swing, there is no way that R flex shafts at standard length are going to lead to better shots. See what you can do, and I hope it all works out for ya.

Thanks for the useful replies, guys. Since I've never bought "real" golf equipment before, I really didn't know when the best deals were. I figured if I had waited until spring, I wouldn't be able to get a good set for a good price. It seems I've also underrated the importance of getting fitted. I don't really know if I have a swing I *want* to get fitted right now, since there's many things that need improving. I think I'm better off getting a lesson or two first, so when my swing *does* get fitted, it isn't immediately and drastically going to change?

If the cost to get new shafts is only $100 across the whole set, I'm totally fine with that. I kind of assumed it was closer to like $30-40 per club (so closer to $300 for a set of 9 irons/wedges)?

As far as canceling the purchase, I'm not sure if it's possible, but I can check. I also kind of wanted a set I could go to the indoor driving range over the winter and practice with, but I also want to practice with a set that won't give me bad habits (ie, a set that isn't terribly unfitted). Also, it's also possible I could sell the unused set if something amazing comes up next year for probably a minimal loss... maybe? Or maybe I just get lucky and the R flex is right for me? Though I would definitely hate to see these same irons for cheaper in the spring next year.

EDIT - I guess I'm a little confused how I will be able to get a set fitted to me next spring for cheaper? If I buy demo units next spring, I will still be in the same situation I'm in right now, where I have to retroactively fit clubs for my swing, won't I? Or are you suggesting that I would be able to buy the same irons new from Taylormade and order a specific fitting for cheaper than I paid for demo units now? Here is the current new price from the store I bought them from (prices in CDN $), and I got the irons plus S and A wedges (I think the new set stops at PW) for $425.

EDIT 2 - As for why I didn't ask you guys sooner, I actually did post in another golf forum and got a single decidedly unhelpful reply. Afterwards I kind of just decided to lurk forums and decide on my own. Looks like I got unlucky by not finding your forum first, since you guys are way more helpful. :(

Last edited:
If the cost to get new shafts is only $100 across the whole set, I'm totally fine with that. I kind of assumed it was closer to like $30-40 per club (so closer to $300 for a set of 9 irons/wedges)?

I think the wedges should normally be Stiff shafted ( Some of the experts will confirm/or refute this ) I guess its just down to the individual.

And

I think the shafts are the most expensive part of the clubs

Last edited:
Thanks for the useful replies, guys. Since I've never bought "real" golf equipment before, I really didn't know when the best deals were. I figured if I had waited until spring, I wouldn't be able to get a good set for a good price. It seems I've also underrated the importance of getting fitted. I don't really know if I have a swing I *want* to get fitted right now, since there's many things that need improving. I think I'm better off getting a lesson or two first, so when my swing *does* get fitted, it isn't immediately and drastically going to change?

As far as canceling the purchase, I'm not sure if it's possible, but I can check. I also kind of wanted a set I could go to the indoor driving range over the winter and practice with, but I also want to practice with a set that won't give me bad habits (ie, a set that isn't terribly unfitted). Also, it's also possible I could sell the unused set if something amazing comes up next year for probably a minimal loss... maybe? Or maybe I just get lucky and the R flex is right for me? Though I would definitely hate to see these same irons for cheaper in the spring next year.

EDIT - I guess I'm a little confused how I will be able to get a set fitted to me next spring for cheaper? If I buy demo units next spring, I will still be in the same situation I'm in right now, where I have to retroactively fit clubs for my swing, won't I? Or are you suggesting that I would be able to buy the same irons new from Taylormade and order a specific fitting for cheaper than I paid for demo units now? Here is the current new price from the store I bought them from (prices in CDN $), and I got the irons plus S and A wedges (I think the new set stops at PW) for $425.

EDIT 2 - As for why I didn't ask you guys sooner, I actually did post in another golf forum and got a single decidedly unhelpful reply. Afterwards I kind of just decided to lurk forums and decide on my own. Looks like I got unlucky by not finding your forum first, since you guys are way more helpful. :(

Sorry to hear you didn't find much help right off the bat on another forum, but we're glad you found THP and we're glad to help if we can.

You did get a pretty good deal on those irons, but here's how I think you could get a better deal overall in the spring (prices estimated by what my local shop would normally charge in USD). So let's assume you pay for a fitting in the spring ($50) and you need to swap out all the shafts ($100). That brings your cost to be $575.

Now if you can return them and wait to spring, here's how I see getting clubs fit to you for about the same price. Most golf manufacturers refresh their club lines from now until the PGA show in early 2012. Since you really can't golf until spring, most / all OEMs will have all new sets of irons on the market by the time March rolls around. Since there are newer, shinier sets on the market, the golf stores will lower prices on the 2011 equipment to get them out the door.

Also, since there are newer clubs on the market, you will find more used Burner 2 sets for sale online / eBay as regular golfers upgrade their own sets. While there is no way to predict pricing 5 months in the future, you can use the past as a precedent. Look online to see how cheap Burner 1.0 sets are now. I don't think Burner 2 sets will be that cheap in March, but they will definitely come down in price ($200-$300 IMO). At most stores in the US, if you pay for a fitting, they will apply the fitting cost to the price of the irons if you purchase the set from that shop.

I have an extra Burner 2.0 Stock Stiff shaft 6 iron demo that I am not using. I can send it to you to use for practice over the winter if you are able to return your newly purchased set. I was sent it directly from TM earlier in the year as a promotion and I passed it around to my buddies all year.

I hope this makes sense, let us know your thoughts, questions, etc....

THP wants to thank our testers that did a thorough job here. The official testing has been completed.

A big thanks to all the testers here for doing an amazing job! The testing and reviews here are what led me to demo then purchase my own set of 2.0s!

THP wants to thank our testers that did a thorough job here. The official testing has been completed.

+1 I really enjoyed reading all of the reviews and different opinions. I REALLY would love to find a deal on a set of these to have as a 2nd set. Thanks again to the testers, you really showed how to do a real OEM test for the site.

Thanks to all! This was a very informative thread and hugely helpful to me, and I'm sure many others.

Congratulations testers, ya'll did a great job in this thread.

Great job testers! as a burner 2.0 owner myself I can say that the findings you have reported were very helpful and precise. Very good information in this thread, thank you for your time testing these irons!

I'm glad that everyone enjoyed this thread. If anyone ever has anymore questions about the 2.0's, don't hesitate to ask! I'll be happy to reply.

I'm glad that everyone enjoyed this thread. If anyone ever has anymore questions about the 2.0's, don't hesitate to ask! I'll be happy to reply.

+1...and to the folks who participated in this thread that were not testers, you made this thread what it was, and we (the testers) really appreciate it.

I would like to thank THP and Taylor Made for the opportunity to test the Burner 2.0's. I would also like to take the forum members who participated and my fellow testers. There are alot of good facts, info, videos, pictures, and opinions in this thread. It is obvious the 2.0's are a great set of GI irons that can help a wide range of golfers! Good job all.

I will continue to update here, albeit less frequently, as the golf season here is for the most part over. I am playing my club championship at Chamber's Bay this weekend rain or shine, so let's hope I play well and the Burner 2.0's help me win a title.

Good luck, TH!

You all did very well in here and it's been fun to see how the 2.0's worked for such a varied group of testers. Should be some excellent info for anybody wanting to know more about these irons.

After doing a lot of research between the titleist ap1 and the burner 2.0s and numerous hours in a simulator and trying almost every iron in the store, i have pulled the trigger or should i say my fiance pulled the trigger (wedding present) on a new custom set of 2.0s 4-aw. My specs were 3/4" long and standard lie with the kbs tour stiff shafts. Only downfall was that when they came into golf etc from taylormade the wrong shafts were installed so they had to be sent back. I am hoping to get my hands on them at some point this week and get at least some range time before the snow falls. My new set up will be Burner superfast 9.5 driver, adams rpm strong 3, 7wood (knock off that i can trust), 4-aw(bent to 48), vokey 52 and 56. I have replaced my adams a2 hybrid set and hope i can dial in my distances quickly. If anyone has any other tips/tricks to help with the transition please let me know.

After doing a lot of research between the titleist ap1 and the burner 2.0s and numerous hours in a simulator and trying almost every iron in the store, i have pulled the trigger or should i say my fiance pulled the trigger (wedding present) on a new custom set of 2.0s 4-aw. My specs were 3/4" long and standard lie with the kbs tour stiff shafts. Only downfall was that when they came into golf etc from taylormade the wrong shafts were installed so they had to be sent back. I am hoping to get my hands on them at some point this week and get at least some range time before the snow falls. My new set up will be Burner superfast 9.5 driver, adams rpm strong 3, 7wood (knock off that i can trust), 4-aw(bent to 48), vokey 52 and 56. I have replaced my adams a2 hybrid set and hope i can dial in my distances quickly. If anyone has any other tips/tricks to help with the transition please let me know.

Welcome to THP and congrats on the present!

For me, transition from previous irons to these was almost seamless. I was playing a strong lofted iron previously so the change to these had almost no effect on my distance. I'm not sure of the lofts of the Adams set but if the 2.0's are stronger lofted, expect anywhere from a 5-15 yard increase in distance. The easiest way to get familiar is to head to the range and knock 20 balls with each club. This will help you dial in quickly plus help you get used to the feel/forgiveness of the 2.0's. Good luck with your clubs!!

Back