The 2013-14 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as OU's defense keeps it up, they may get away with having poor QB play. I still think that 10 wins isn't that big of a stretch and they will certainly compete for the conference title. I don't think Bell is the answer though. I imagine that Knight gets his job back once he is healthy unless Bell puts up good numbers, which probably will not happen. At least Kendal Thompson is practicing again, though. He has about as much potential as the other 2.

Nice to see OU have a solid defense again though. Time to get back to the early 2000's way of football in Oklahoma.

Awesome story out of Auburn. Coleman was a huge recruit for us in 2010. Seeing him diagnosed with cancer was rough. Watching his determination was amazing. I'm not sure I've ever wanted to see a player succeed so much. It was awesome seeing him but the field Saturday.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/09/wait_is_over_auburn_tackle_sho.html

I remember Shon through the recruiting season that year and then getting the horrible diagnosis. Congratulations to him, and hope he has much success.

Sounds like getting recruited by/playing for Oklahoma State over the past decade was fun.

Coaches paying players, professors giving passing grades for little to no work, and 'A specious counseling program that allowed some players to continue to use drugs while avoiding penalties'. Oh and this gem: 'OSU's hostess program, Orange pride, more than tripled in size under (Les) Miles. Both Miles and Gundy both took the unusual step of personally interviewing candidates. Multiple former players and Orange Pride members say that a small subset of the group had sex with recruits.'

Let's see how the NCAA can mess this up.

As long as OU's defense keeps it up, they may get away with having poor QB play. I still think that 10 wins isn't that big of a stretch and they will certainly compete for the conference title. I don't think Bell is the answer though. I imagine that Knight gets his job back once he is healthy unless Bell puts up good numbers, which probably will not happen. At least Kendal Thompson is practicing again, though. He has about as much potential as the other 2.

Nice to see OU have a solid defense again though. Time to get back to the early 2000's way of football in Oklahoma.

I think I'll wait until we see them play a real offense before I start praising the D too much.

On the QB front, when you can't pass, teams load the box, if OU doesn't fix it no they'll start figuring that out the hard way very very soon.

Awesome story out of Auburn. Coleman was a huge recruit for us in 2010. Seeing him diagnosed with cancer was rough. Watching his determination was amazing. I'm not sure I've ever wanted to see a player succeed so much. It was awesome seeing him but the field Saturday.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/09/wait_is_over_auburn_tackle_sho.html

Thanks for sharing that story Wake, great to see his success at beating the odds. He is instantly one of my favorite college football players after reading that.

I think I'll wait until we see them play a real offense before I start praising the D too much.

On the QB front, when you can't pass, teams load the box, if OU doesn't fix it no they'll start figuring that out the hard way very very soon.

I predicted a 9 win season in June, but Texas is horrid, OSU is still OSU and Notre Dame isn't the same with the new QB. The teams I'm worried most about are TCU and Baylor, honestly.

UH OH, Oklahoma State!!!
[h=1]Special Report on Oklahoma State Football: Part 1 -- The Money[/h]
[h=3]SPECIAL REPORT[/h] [h=4]SI's five-part series on Oklahoma State[/h]
  • [h=5]The Overview[/h] A 10-month investigation that included independent interviews with 64 Oklahoma State football players from 1999 to 2011, as well as current and former football staffers, reveals the measures that a program will take to become elite -- and the collateral damage that follows. FULL STORY
  • PART 1 The Money Payments, bonuses and sham jobs. Between postgame handouts from football staff and the largesse of boosters, Cowboys players had ample opportunties to receive under-the-table income. In separate interviews, eight former Cowboys told SI they received cash payments and 29 other OSU players were named by teammates as having also taken money. FULL STORY
  • PART 2 The Academics A dozen Cowboys who played between 2000 and '11 say that they participated in some form of academic misconduct; another 16 were named by teammates as having schoolwork done for them. Players were also clustered into online classes. "The goal was not to educate but to get [the best players] the passing grades they needed to keep playing," said Fath' Carter, who played at OSU from 2000 to '03. COMING WEDNESDAY
  • PART 3 The Drugs As the Cowboys became one of the nation's elite teams, players were not only using drugs, but also dealing them. It was common for some players to smoke marijuana before games. Says Donnell Williams, a linebacker on the 2006 team, "Drugs were everywhere." School officials largely ignored use and abuse by elite players but cast aside those players deemed expendable. COMING THURSDAY
  • PART 4 The Sex Under Les Miles, membership in Orange Pride, the football program's hostess group, tripled as the organization became a key recruiting tool. Players say that a small number of women in the group had sex with recruits. Says Artrell Woods, a Cowboys wide receiver from 2006 to '08, "The idea was to get [recruits] to think if they came [to OSU] it was going to be like that all the time, with all these girls wanting to have sex with you." COMING FRIDAY
  • PART 5 The Fallout One of the selling points of college football is that it changes lives, that young men have their character and fortunes enhanced by taking part in the sport, even if they remain on campus for only a short time. But in the past decade, player after player has been driven out of Stillwater, returning to worlds they had hoped to escape. Some have been incarcerated, others live on the streets, many have battled drug abuse, and a few have attempted suicide. COMING IN NEXT WEEK'S SI/ONLINE SEPT. 17

Ok the money and grades part is eye brow raising, but GASP - young college girls and athletes are having sex on campus? That's just sensationalist journalism.

If Thayer Evans had his hand in the story, you can assume it's based off hearsay and no facts.

Ok the money and grades part is eye brow raising, but GASP - young college girls and athletes are having sex on campus? That's just sensationalist journalism.
I wouldn't say it's sensational journalism, and from the time lines being so far in the past I wonder how much people will actually care or grab onto it.

I hate college football right now.
Sorry Big Time. I was in that boat last year, and may be in it again this year.

I wouldn't say it's sensational journalism, and from the time lines being so far in the past I wonder how much people will actually care or grab onto it.

Just they way it's written up gives it a TMZ quality like it's almost a free prostitution ring to get prospects to sign which I doubt was the case. Put college boys and college girls together anywhere and some of them are going to end up having sex.

The other allegations surely deserve further investigation. I just felt like the sex part was almost added to draw "clicks" to the article.

Boy there are some stories flying around right now with the OB insiders about the Texas Longhorn football program today. From Mack has stepped down to Mack has already called and had multiple meetings with Dodds (AD) and Powers (President) to the search for next years head coach has already been approved to a bunch of other things. I'm sure most of them are unfounded right now but wow, where there's smoke there is usually fire. How far we have fallen.

Just they way it's written up gives it a TMZ quality like it's almost a free prostitution ring to get prospects to sign which I doubt was the case. Put college boys and college girls together anywhere and some of them are going to end up having sex.

The other allegations surely deserve further investigation. I just felt like the sex part was almost added to draw "clicks" to the article.

That whole deal drips Thayer Evans (like beags said). The drugs, sex, and especially the last one about kids returning to lives they hoped to escape. That happens at EVERY PROGRAM. Like you said, attractive girls and star athletes= sex. The breakdown even said "small number", so it doesn't sound like that was the goal of the program. I'm willing to bet that the strong majority of programs has at least one player who has sold drugs, many of these athletes come from communities were dealing is an accepted way of life. And unfortunately many kids fall out of programs all the time, for many reasons.

Sorry Big Time. I was in that boat last year, and may be in it again this year.
Nope dude, there is a huge difference between growing pains (what we had in 09 and will experience this year) and spiraling downward, with no idea where you go next. (07,2012, bucs every year since 2003).

Things are rough in Austin for sure. I don't like it either Nathan

Boy there are some stories flying around right now with the OB insiders about the Texas Longhorn football program today. From Mack has stepped down to Mack has already called and had multiple meetings with Dodds (AD) and Powers (President) to the search for next years head coach has already been approved to a bunch of other things. I'm sure most of them are unfounded right now but wow, where there's smoke there is usually fire. How far we have fallen.

Just remember this Big Time. You have possibly the best program in the country in terms of reach. While Notre Dame still dominates certain sectors, the Longhorns are so big and powerful now that they just cannot fall far.

Things are rough in Austin for sure. I don't like it either Nathan

I don't think anyone was ready to deal with this early season. I really think Mack thought he had a team this year to make a little noise and maybe he could walk out being somewhat on top. The rumor mill is flying right now.

There are very few states that put out the top talent like TX does. Florida is one and a couple of others. Unlike the other states, Texas is still the sole top dog and that helps out in a huge way. Florida has 3 top schools depleting talent and 2 others trying to be top schools. Texas has A&M and a couple of others, but nobody anywhere near them in terms of reach. They wont fall far.

Just remember this Big Time. You have possibly the best program in the country in terms of reach. While Notre Dame still dominates certain sectors, the Longhorns are so big and powerful now that they just cannot fall far.

I was talking to someone today in the office about recruits and if Texas should be concerned about any of them dropping out or the ones in the future. He said something that I hadn't even thoughts about till then. He said, "Don't be scared of the recruits not being interested in coming to Texas, be scared that the first 3 head coaching choices that Texas wants don't want to come here."

I don't think anyone was ready to deal with this early season. I really think Mack thought he had a team this year to make a little noise and maybe he could walk out being somewhat on top. The rumor mill is flying right now.

He had both of us convinced haha. I thought they were going to be solid. The defense is just awful, they cannot tackle, they cannot stay home on options.. It's just bad.

I hope is ash can't play this weekend that we give this freshman a shot. Mccoy is bad

Honest question. Did you guys really think that this Texas team was going to compete on the grand scale?

Honest question. Did you guys really think that this Texas team was going to compete on the grand scale?

I thought 9-3 was attainable. I thought they had a great shot at the big 12 this year. I figured the defense would be a little better and the offense would take a big step forward.

I thought 9-3 was attainable. I thought they had a great shot at the big 12 this year. I figured the defense would be a little better and the offense would take a big step forward.

With their schedule I think 9-3 still is isnt it? I mean 9-3 is not exactly relevant in college football anymore (which is funny to me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back