Tucked or Untucked that is the question!

Tucked or Untucked that is the question!

• Tuck

Votes: 104 74.3%
  • Untuck

Votes: 36 25.7%

• Total voters
I'm not disagreeing with you, and I know you're not saying this either, but you don't have to spend that kind of money on clothes to 'look nice'.

I bought last years nike golf plaid pants for 25 bucks, an under armour polo for 20 bucks, a white nike belt for ten bucks, and a nike hat for 10 bucks, and awesome tour 360 shoes for 99 bucks.. All I am saying, is there are a TON of places that allow people to get great clothing at reasonable costs... I don't think these kinds of discussions should be limited to personal wealth.. But that's just my opinion.
O ya I know, I just think some people look down on them, not everyone just some people at your local clubs and stuff like that not anyone on here and if someone here does, While I dont agree with them for looking down on somebody for that, its there opinion and I respect that. Trust me I would like a few of the nicer golf shorts and shirts and even shoes but I just rather save my money for clubs than clothes, now if you feel differently then thats cool to. I wasnt trying to bash anyone here at all, I was just saying my opinion and I think a couple of people got mad and thought I was trying to say something else. I dont have a problem with anywere wearing what they do, I may laugh at some to myself lol but just dont feel like someone should looked down on someone else for what they wear.

About the belts, I never spend big money on them. I have about 7 that I probably spent around $50 on, total. And I'm the same way as the poster who said if there's belt loops, I'll be wearing a belt, plain and simple. I would feel weird without one at this point (and I'm not talking just golf, I mean going out in jeans and stuff too).

Sorry about the threadjack, I should've just started another topic.
Hey if you like clothes and belts to match and all that then go for it im not knocking you at all just in golf as I said a bunch now lol I just dont feel like I need to spend a lot of money on clothes just for golf.

I don't like spending 50 on a belt either. I found a place online that sells leather belts that priced a lot better than that. Then I just buy a buckle. Thats just me though. I only really notice what other golfers by what they wear if they aren't wearing "golf attire." For example I played behind a guy ones with jean shorts and a Carlos Beltran Mets Jersey...I had a feeling I was in for a long round haha

tucked most of the time... just glad Dri Fit was invented... :D

This is exactly what I meant. Proper moisture wicking apparel with the right materials will never let sweat collect in one area like that. If it works for you, that is all that matters, but I like I said before, we have tested hundreds of shirts in the FL heat and never noticed a difference temperature wise with moisture wicking material.

That is the exact reason for moisture wicking. Because it pulls the moisture away from your skin.

All I wear on the course is Nike Dri-Fit, shorts and shirts. And they do a great job of pulling sweat away and then drying quickly. But when you get down into a valley when its 95º, with no breeze and no shade, waiting on people to chip and putt, you are going to sweat faster than the fabrics will dry. Its just how it is. Once you get moving again, you start to dry. There have been many times when I have soaked through a shirt waiting on the green. It will usually dry on the drive to the next tee. Even the best stuff will let sweat collect if there is no breeze. Maybe I just sweat more than others, I don't know.

All I wear on the course is Nike Dri-Fit, shorts and shirts. And they do a great job of pulling sweat away and then drying quickly. But when you get down into a valley when its 95º, with no breeze and no shade, waiting on people to chip and putt, you are going to sweat faster than the fabrics will dry. Its just how it is. Once you get moving again, you start to dry. There have been many times when I have soaked through a shirt waiting on the green. It will usually dry on the drive to the next tee. Even the best stuff will let sweat collect if there is no breeze. Maybe I just sweat more than others, I don't know.

I guess its just a little different for us. And obviously everybody sweats differently. But like I said, the heat and humidity in FL is far warmer than that during the summers and I have never soaked "through" a moisture wicking shirt. And I SWEAT A LOT! In fact not a single person I play golf with has ever sweat through a moisture wicking shirt that I have seen on the course and this is FL summers.

I guess we see different things with our clothes. I do not really see sweat "collect" with moisture wicking apparel. And certainly if it is wicking properly, it would not gather where one's belt is.

Why do we see so many tour players sweating through their shirts? are those not moisture wicking? Not trying to be a smart alec or anything, I really am curious about that.

Why do we see so many tour players sweating through their shirts? are those not moisture wicking? Not trying to be a smart alec or anything, I really am curious about that.

TW's shirts are not moisture wicking (most point to TW in these cases). But I must be watching different golf. Because I rarely see a guy sweat through their apparel.

And some brands do a very poor job at it or mix cotton into the apparel which is not wicking in many cases

Here is an example. Put on a Travis Mathew shirt ( a brand I love) and then put on an adidas Golf ClimaCool. One will show sweat and the other wont. Not in our testing anyway. Travis Mathew's new line uses a cotton blend that shows quite a bit of moisture.

Tucked. Untucked looks sloppy.

TW's shirts are not moisture wicking (most point to TW in these cases). But I must be watching different golf. Because I rarely see a guy sweat through their apparel.

And some brands do a very poor job at it or mix cotton into the apparel which is not wicking in many cases

Here is an example. Put on a Travis Mathew shirt ( a brand I love) and then put on an adidas Golf ClimaCool. One will show sweat and the other wont. Not in our testing anyway. Travis Mathew's new line uses a cotton blend that shows quite a bit of moisture.

Ok i just didnt know if some wore moisture wicking shirts and some didnt or if they all wore moisture wicking shirts.

They should make moisture-wicking pants mandatory. At least for Robert Garrigus.

I guess its just a little different for us. And obviously everybody sweats differently. But like I said, the heat and humidity in FL is far warmer than that during the summers and I have never soaked "through" a moisture wicking shirt. And I SWEAT A LOT! In fact not a single person I play golf with has ever sweat through a moisture wicking shirt that I have seen on the course and this is FL summers.

I guess we see different things with our clothes. I do not really see sweat "collect" with moisture wicking apparel. And certainly if it is wicking properly, it would not gather where one's belt is.
I think a good breeze plays into the drying more than anything. If I had to guess, I would say in Florida there is a breeze blowing almost all the time. Add that to time in the cart and there is probably very few times when you don't have some airflow. When you play around here you get elevation changes (no breeze in the valley) and depending on the weather pattern, there can be days when there is no wind at all. 90+ and no wind = soaked clothes at certain times, no matter what you wear. The wind and air flow is what helps the fabrics dry. Take that away, and they don't dry as quickly.

2 reasons in my opinion. One, they are wearing pants, that can't help the body temperature. Two, when you are 'inside the ropes', there is close to no shade for the players. It is sun beating down almost the entire time. Along with that, they are walking. That only adds to the body heat and then you subtract the breeze factor of riding in a cart which will help dry out the shirt.

I think a good breeze plays into the drying more than anything. If I had to guess, I would say in Florida there is a breeze blowing almost all the time. Add that to time in the cart and there is probably very few times when you don't have some airflow. When you play around here you get elevation changes (no breeze in the valley) and depending on the weather pattern, there can be days when there is no wind at all. 90+ and no wind = soaked clothes at certain times, no matter what you wear. The wind and air flow is what helps the fabrics dry. Take that away, and they don't dry as quickly. .

I guess we are just seeing different things. I would not say there is even a breeze blowing close to all the time in FL. In fact most of the time, you get no breeze unless the course you are playing is near the coast. And we certainly are getting warmer than 90* with humidity.

Was the question Tucked or Untucked? I didn't answer either way, it depends on the cut of the shirt. Some, especially my Hawaii collection are cut to wear outside.

I don't wear belts and therefore don't tuck. It's a comfort thing with me.

I never tuck onthe golf course. I tuck all week for work. The golf course is my time, I dress like I want to.

I usually tuck, but not 100% of the time.

Also, it is hot here in Texas. The humidity just started going down this week so it was pretty much as bad as Fl. I wear only moisture wicking shirts but still sweat through my shirt at times.

The thing is, I think JB, is that it's hard to see all sides of this argument. You said none of the courses where you play allow walking. I rarely ride a cart when I play, but when I do, there is a HUGE difference in temperature. Not only do you create a strong breeze every time you drive, but you are in shade more times than any walker is. It is just a lot hotter when you walk. Just my 2 cents.

For me I always tuck, guess growing up and having dad always tuck his shirt in no matter what kind of shirt he was wearing must have rubbed of on me........

funny thread... I actually always go un-tucked.... I love the dry fit tops and wear them all the time. I think it is the greatest invention yet man has made....

I guess my point of view is that if you tuck.. and have the belt and the whole fit.... you better bring some game. If I play with a guy who tucks, has a nice belt, and can putt like a tour pro, then I am in awe... if he tucks and plays mediocre... wanna be. JMHO.

I have a friend who tucks and he told me... "I tuck because it intimidates the others I play with :D" I know he is half joking, but he is actually half serious... I guess I will tuck when I feel like I am good enough ;)

But just a fashion tip for those who do tuck... any guy who tucks his shirt and does not wear a belt will look like a dweeb... input from many female friends :D...

Tucked in! Not only is it my club's dress code but I just think it looks wrong to have it untucked. Although I'd probably feel differently if I were playing in 100 degree heat like some of you guys do

funny thread... I actually always go un-tucked.... I love the dry fit tops and wear them all the time. I think it is the greatest invention yet man has made....

I guess my point of view is that if you tuck.. and have the belt and the whole fit.... you better bring some game. If I play with a guy who tucks, has a nice belt, and can putt like a tour pro, then I am in awe... if he tucks and plays mediocre... wanna be. JMHO.

But just a fashion tip for those who do tuck... any guy who tucks his shirt and does not wear a belt will look like a dweeb... input from many female friends :D...

- Dri-Fit tops: agreed!! Great invention!

- Tucked in = better play like pro: I hope to get there soon ;)

- Fashion Tip: Definitely valid, need a good belt! However, over here in the UK it seems the only women that play golf are 40 years+. So not much point trying to impress them, and I ain't gona be wearing my golf attire to the pub/clubs. lol

Tucked in! Not only is it my club's dress code but I just think it looks wrong to have it untucked. Although I'd probably feel differently if I were playing in 100 degree heat like some of you guys do

So if your shirt comes untucked they'd call you out on it? Wow I didn't know that was a rule anywhere.

So if your shirt comes untucked they'd call you out on it? Wow I didn't know that was a rule anywhere.

sure it is. i've played on some of the private clubs back home and the rangers will make you tuck if you've come untucked at some point during the round.

sure it is. i've played on some of the private clubs back home and the rangers will make you tuck if you've come untucked at some point during the round.

there are a couple of courses that are like that around me. They have multiple rangers. They will usually make sure that you are dressed "properly" by tucking your shirt in. Also the carts have timers on them and they track your pace of play. If you are more than 5 minutes behind pace they make sure you pick up the pace.

Definitely, It's the "norm" over here in the UK. We have very few Muni courses that don't have a dress code. I'd say all the private/semi-private courses have a dress code and a tucked in shirt is generally near the top of the list.

I think most the UK courses will have something like this:
- collared shirts/t-shirts must be worn, or mock style (turtle neck), no sports teams logo's or large logos of any sort (e.g. rugby jerseys)
- tailored trousers/shorts only to be worn (no combats/jeans etc...), shorts often aren't allowed to be longer than the knee
- golf shoes only on the course
- shirts must be tucked in

Then the clubhouse rules are generally even stricter.

I've always thought its kinda funny that it's perfectly acceptable to look like this on the course:
John-Daly-Pants_180x233.jpg

but not like this:
french-connection-mens-combat-trousers.jpg

I'd love to be able to wear combat trousers/shorts playing golf. The extra pockets would come in real useful for tees/markers etc...

Back