Go For It or Lay Up?

High cut with the 3W.

I would take the 3-hybrid, aim at the edge of the left bunker and hit a slight fade. End result would likely end up in the bunker.

I'd go for it. TM '09 Rescue 3h. Then I'm either jumping up and down or looking for the drop area. If I were smart (which obviously I'm not) I'd lay up with an 8 iron to leave myself 100 yds. for a nice easy wedge and a look at a birdie.

I already said I would lay up, or fade it around the water as far as I could get it, but probably the only way I would be in that spot on that hole would be after I duffed my second shot!

I would go for it. I hit my 3 wood about 240 maybe 250 on a good day. Depends how im hitting that day

I am thinking a 3 wood fade would work nicely. It would allow me to aim over less of the water to allow for my fade not working.

lay up
then drop a water ball just to see if i could do it

Go for it! My 3 wood never fails me off the deck on the fairway. Best club in my bag!

In that situation, go for it. Everytime.

i went for it today an almost eagled my nemesis hole at my course... most of the time my ball is swimming on this hole

Go for it...as someone said earlier in the thread, I like my chances of getting up and down from around the green better than sticking it close from 70 yards.

without reading every reply... unless there is a 20 mph head wind, you better go for it.

to lay up or not to lay up????

to lay up or not to lay up????

I was playing a casual game with some friends today when we came up on a very tight 320 yard par 4. The hole is protected by sand with OB to the right. I have played this hole many times and always laid up but all 3 of my friends wanted to drive it so I decided I would go for it to. The end result was the best drive I have even hit. I flew the hole and rolled back to about 5 feet. Of course i lipped out the put but I never complain when I get a tap in birdie!
This makes me wonder if I should be more agressive and go for more of these type of shots. Do you guys lay up every time or go for it now and then?
oldmill.jpg

If i am hitting my clubs good that day i will go for it but on the same hand if i am having a real good game i dont chance it to mess the whole round up with one bad dissision. So I guess it is a shot by shot dission.

Oh and congrats on the sweet shot to

The bigger the risk, the bigger the reward!

Great shot and beautiful course!

First of all nice shot. The risk was worth the reward.

It really depends on the situation.... how you're hitting it that day and if you trust your swing and ballflight. Sometimes in life however you gotta say "ah screw it".

Alex

How many yards to carry the trees on the right?

99 times out of 100 I lay up on that whole.

GREAT SHOT!!!

I have to agree with the others, it depends on how I am hitting my driver that day, and if I am trying to make up strokes or not. I usually try and play safe, unless there was a bail out area, but judging by the pic...there wasnt one!

You are a monster..backing up a driver from 320...crazy! Great shot bro, tap in are the best!

99 times out of 100 I lay up on that whole.

Agreed. I would have to feel like I've been hitting my driver perfect and even then I can't go 300. I'm hitting to 80 yards and 3/4 GW. I would get 5 times as many birdies doing that than the occasional miracle shot. Congrats on the shot though.

From a physological point of view you should have a plan before you set foot on the golf course, that way it's easier to 'trust' your swing if you feel like you're carrying out a plan. However there is alway room for variance depending of wind etc.. Still like one post above said it's a risk/reward choice and in this case it paid off but it could easily have cost you 2 or more strokes. Really make the choice before you go out and then if you're feeling really strongly opposed to your original choice think about changing it, otherwise stick with the smart play!

Back