Go For It or Lay Up?

I think after my time at the range today with the Mashie. I would go for it if I had a 18* Mashie.

What about those folks who don't have a 200 yard club? Are you saying they are less then? Nice.

Naw, read my other posts, that's me bustin my JB's balls.

Sometimes I tell my boys there ain't no feathers on me :chicken:

If that is the ball in the fairway in that pic, I most likely go for it, prolly w/ 3W, but maybe with driver if the lie is good enough and there is any wind into me. If the ball is in the rough it has to be a super lie to launch. I can't tell what is left or right of the green, but unless there is OB or water hazard close on either side this looks like a green light special... :golf2:

3i into the green, might come up short especially if there is any wind to the face but clearing the water would be no problem at all. Good risk vs reward. It doesn't look to me to be any trouble short right up the gut.

Based on the pic and the yardage I go for it. I don't hit 3 wood off the deck but I can carry my 3 hybrid about 210 so I would take a rip at it. Hell if it goes in the water just a chip and a putt for par.

In my younger days I would "Tin Cup" it and give it a rip,but at 59 yrs. now I lay up.My best 3 woods are around 200 carry.

Go for it.

MD142Good-Things-Happen-When-You-Go-For-It-Affiches.jpg

I would go for it

If you let me tee it up from the fairway

Go for it! If I miss left looks like decent amount of room to play from.

I'd go for it for sure. 3H for me goes 225-240, so no problem clearing the water. By the looks of the hole, I'd play a little draw and try to sling it in there. Like JB said in one of his responses, if you miss left or right, just a chip and a putt(hopefully!).

As a general rule, I like to go for it whenever I can. I'm pretty confident in my wedge play on the 20yrd and in shots, so I'd rather be close.

hit a sweeping hook aimed at the right side of the green with a 4 iron. that way if im either right on the pin or miss the green left, avoiding the water

I'm hitting that one at the green, but most likely hitting a cut that leaves me just left or left corner. A bit of a bail out shot. I can't really tell what's up there, but if I catch a bunker that's okay. Probably two or three out of ten would find the drink with a 205 carry.

I'm old and weak.

Kevin

I have to lay up because I am distance challenged. If I could reach it I would go pin hunting for sure.

I rarely lay up, so with a carry of only 205 I'd definitely go for it. I'd take an easy 5 wood which I've done pretty well with this past season. Reachable par 5's have been my friend; par 3's have not.

Go for it! Go big, or go home! haha!

I used to never go for it, I would always lay up no matter what and try to play it safe. I feel very comfortable with my wedges and short iron game, but I have been feeling pretty happy with my long iron-hybrid game as of late..

Go for it, No guts no glory

My exact thought process aloud to myself...

Don't be a dumb-ass here, lay it up for an easy wedge in...(as I promptly ignore my aloud though and try to put it on from there, to about a 15% success rate LOL)

I pull out the Tour Edge Exotics 3 wood from THP and put a nice smooth swing on it.

having read everything here i think i would have went for it as well.

hybrid or 4 iron depending on the wind for me, and my miss is a hook so the water wouldnt be in play.

looks like a lovely day for it JB..

Based on the pic and the yardage I go for it. I don't hit 3 wood off the deck but I can carry my 3 hybrid about 210 so I would take a rip at it. Hell if it goes in the water just a chip and a putt for par.

As long as you crossed land on the other side, which is virtually impossible. If not, you would drop where you entered the hazard and play your 4th from there, which would be 30 yards in front of your last shot from the fairway.

I probably would have tried to hit the hell out of my 3h. I know that I would try to put a draw on the ball so that if I did miss anywhere, I would miss left and be safe. That google map picture showed the trees blocking the layup area.

It's definitely one of those situations where everything in your sensible mind is screaming at you to lay up, give yourself a good chance, there's not that much reward going for it unless you hit a miracle shot, etc.....

as you reach for the 3 wood, with the little devil on your shoulder smiling and calling his mates to watch this.

As long as you crossed land on the other side, which is virtually impossible. If not, you would drop where you entered the hazard and play your 4th from there, which would be 30 yards in front of your last shot from the fairway.

The last part was sort of tongue and cheek, but I would still go for it. I play a lefty fade and my miss is left so if I went for it and didn't hit it well it would probably end up as a long layup anyway.

Back