Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Chunky that is a fantastic write up. I'm pretty much speechless dude. I'm really excited to hear how these turn out for everyone.

That's great to hear, CB. Looking forward to seeing how they work out for you.

I missed that write up Chunky, awesome stuff man. Sounds like theyre working pretty good so far.

Just finally caught up on this thread, thanks for the great pics and write ups CL, you're really doing a great job of carrying this thread while we wait for the others to receive their irons. I'm sure they're all REALLY anxious after hearing how well they're working for you! Keep up the good work!

Whew. Got nervous after typing that all up. Didn't know if by doing a round recap I wasn't giving enough attention to the irons. I think everyone will have their irons within the next few days and hopefully this thread gets jumping. I know I had a great time on Saturday. I'm going to get myself a little digital recorder so that I can have my thoughts on hand instead of having to remember. Plus I want that for the Outing demo day as well.

I like that hat, but I'm going with this one
yhst-17159114447480_2143_182932330

I just picked up the white one last week, I love the way it looks.

CL - that was a great round recap. Sounds like your first round with these was pretty successful. I'm looking forward to reading more of your updates as the testing goes on.

I just got back from the range with the Di11's for the first time and now I have some work to do, but I will be doing a full write up with pics as soon as I get home. I will however say this "WOW!"

This thread blew up while I was away. Enjoyed reading the feedback, keep it comin'!

Great write up CL, glad they are doing it for you.

I just got back from the range with the Di11's for the first time and now I have some work to do, but I will be doing a full write up with pics as soon as I get home. I will however say this "WOW!"

Can't wait to see the pics and here your thoughts

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Great updates everyone....Looking forward to seeing how these stack up against the other iron sets in the tester's bags

I had the same feeling after my round. Very happy you got your set in CB and hopefully your pics can do these clubs justice. I brought my bag to work today and the guys were ogling over it. The Di11's look sweet in my bag.

Alright, I would like to start by saying thank you again to THP and :wilsonstaff: for this opportunity and I hope to do the clubs justice in my review. To start here are some unboxing photos and pic in my bag right after the first range session.

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3880.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg

GW at address
IMG_3882.jpg

Di11's in the bag
IMG_3883.jpg

Close up of irons in the bag
IMG_3884.jpg

5 -iron at address, first iron where you can see the cavity
IMG_3885.jpg

Looks:
These irons are better looking in person than the photos can do justice. The cavity backs cannot be seen GW-6 iron and can be seen in the 5 and 4 but in a good way, very confidence inspiring. I thought going into this that the fat shafts would look odd at address for a while but after noticing them when giving them the once over at unboxing I never noticed them again. The cavities look very good and the top line is much thinner than I would have ever thought, almost looks like a GE iron at address until you get into the 4 and 5 irons.

Specs:
I got these irons 2* upright with a half inch added to the length and the stock midsize grips.

At the Range:
After a couple of meetings that could not end soon enough I drove to the nearest range I could find to hit the irons even though it was cold today 37* and raining and a little windy. Warmed up a little with my SW and then right to the GW. First shot flushed, just felt pure, ball flew high without balloning and carried 125 yards right at the flag I was aiming at. OK, I pull my favorite iron 8 iron, aim at the 150 flag and hit 5 balls, all carried the flag by about 5 yards in a really tight dispersion but when I looked at the club face, 3 were right in the center, one off to the toe a little bit, on a little towards the heel. I could feel that I didn't hit those two in the center of the face but I lost little to no distance. I hit every iron surprisingly well except for the 4 iron which is me, not the 4 iron. When you hit the ball in the center of the club face it is a pure almost buttery feeling, with a great sound. I want to hit them on the course before I try and describe the sound but I really enjoyed it. When you don't hit the ball on the center of the club you can tell if it was thin or towards the toe, or heel, but with the fat shaft and the tech in the club head it did not feel bad or hurt your hands, and the ball still gets excellent distance.

Shafts:
I had no trouble at all adjusting to the shaft length as my previous irons had longer than average shaft length, but I do remember the adjustment period I had with those and I do think that if you are coming from a standard length set you will have an adjustment period as these shafts are long. The uniflex shaft for felt perfect. I have been fit for iron shafts three times and each time I have been recommended a different shaft and flex. While I have a decent swing speed that on its own would say stiff, I have a slow transition at the top which has had some pros fit me to regular flex shafts. The mizuno shaft optimizer in the three times I have done it has fit me to both regular, and stiff flex shafts so I have been confused for the most part as to which shaft to play. The uniflex in these might have been the answer all along although it is much too early to tell for sure.
The stock midsize grips were a good fit for my hands but got a little slick when the wind blew the rain into the range. Overall they are serviceable and I will give them a chance but I expect to change the stock grips on any clubs I buy and I don't see this being any different.

I will be going to the range again tomorrow for a much more in depth and longer session but my initial impression of these irons are that they are scary easy to hit, they launch the ball high and far, and are very forgiving.

Nice unboxing pics and initial write up cool. I'm pretty pumped that these will be at the outing.

Even though I'm very jealous you got your irons and I didnt that was still a nice initial thoughts and picture post. How did you feel about the grips?

Tapatalk: not just for staffers.

Great looking bag! It sounds like these were very kind to you for a first date. Looking forward to hearing your continued feedback.

CB those are some beautiful pictures. I'm very interested to see how the uniflex works out. Heard from both sides on them and I know you'll give them a test through.

Even though I'm very jealous you got your irons and I didnt that was still a nice initial thoughts and picture post. How did you feel about the grips?

Tapatalk: not just for staffers.

The size was perfect but they are average if not below average for stock grips. In a dry climate, they would be fine, but in a humid climate, or a wet one like here I don't think you would want keep them for long.

Awesome initial thoughts and some great pictures. Can't wait to hear how these treat you in the next few months. What kind of grips do you plan on going with once you change these?

Awesome initial thoughts and some great pictures. Can't wait to hear how these treat you in the next few months. What kind of grips do you plan on going with once you change these?

Probably Winn PCI TL grips, which I have on all my other clubs except the Mashie which has a winn lite soft.

Cl, CB, great write ups guys, making me really jones to get my hands on these baby's. Hopefully FedEx will visit tomorrow

Great initial thoughts and a great looking set, haven't had these on my radar, but must say they are peaking my interest.

Alright, I would like to start by saying thank you again to THP and :wilsonstaff: for this opportunity and I hope to do the clubs justice in my review. To start here are some unboxing photos and pic in my bag right after the first range session.

Looks:
These irons are better looking in person than the photos can do justice. The cavity backs cannot be seen GW-6 iron and can be seen in the 5 and 4 but in a good way, very confidence inspiring. I thought going into this that the fat shafts would look odd at address for a while but after noticing them when giving them the once over at unboxing I never noticed them again. The cavities look very good and the top line is much thinner than I would have ever thought, almost looks like a GE iron at address until you get into the 4 and 5 irons.

Specs:
I got these irons 2* upright with a half inch added to the length and the stock midsize grips.

At the Range:
After a couple of meetings that could not end soon enough I drove to the nearest range I could find to hit the irons even though it was cold today 37* and raining and a little windy. Warmed up a little with my SW and then right to the GW. First shot flushed, just felt pure, ball flew high without balloning and carried 125 yards right at the flag I was aiming at. OK, I pull my favorite iron 8 iron, aim at the 150 flag and hit 5 balls, all carried the flag by about 5 yards in a really tight dispersion but when I looked at the club face, 3 were right in the center, one off to the toe a little bit, on a little towards the heel. I could feel that I didn't hit those two in the center of the face but I lost little to no distance. I hit every iron surprisingly well except for the 4 iron which is me, not the 4 iron. When you hit the ball in the center of the club face it is a pure almost buttery feeling, with a great sound. I want to hit them on the course before I try and describe the sound but I really enjoyed it. When you don't hit the ball on the center of the club you can tell if it was thin or towards the toe, or heel, but with the fat shaft and the tech in the club head it did not feel bad or hurt your hands, and the ball still gets excellent distance.

Shafts:
I had no trouble at all adjusting to the shaft length as my previous irons had longer than average shaft length, but I do remember the adjustment period I had with those and I do think that if you are coming from a standard length set you will have an adjustment period as these shafts are long. The uniflex shaft for felt perfect. I have been fit for iron shafts three times and each time I have been recommended a different shaft and flex. While I have a decent swing speed that on its own would say stiff, I have a slow transition at the top which has had some pros fit me to regular flex shafts. The mizuno shaft optimizer in the three times I have done it has fit me to both regular, and stiff flex shafts so I have been confused for the most part as to which shaft to play. The uniflex in these might have been the answer all along although it is much too early to tell for sure.
The stock midsize grips were a good fit for my hands but got a little slick when the wind blew the rain into the range. Overall they are serviceable and I will give them a chance but I expect to change the stock grips on any clubs I buy and I don't see this being any different.

I will be going to the range again tomorrow for a much more in depth and longer session but my initial impression of these irons are that they are scary easy to hit, they launch the ball high and far, and are very forgiving.

Completely agree with you on the shafts looks wise. I noticed right away that there was no ferrule but that was it. Never noticed it again. Grips do kind of stink. I think we may need to ask JB if any alterations are OK though. I saw in the Mashie thread that someone wanted to alter something but was not allowed to. Great pics too CB. Glad someone finally put up a good picture of this club. Also agree with the topline. At address these don't look like shovels to me.

Grip changes are allowed.

Awesome. Thanks JB. I think I am going to try a Winn grip

Back