Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Going to be interesting playing these wedges, not lofted anywhere near what I currently play. Where is that Fed Ex man????

Going to be interesting playing these wedges, not lofted anywhere near what I currently play. Where is that Fed Ex man????

It's the gap between the gap wedge and my SW that has be concerned. I had it bent to 54* to try and fill the gap a little when they come.

Just getting back online. Came home to a house full of screaming kids. Played a pretty easy course today and shot an 84. Best round I think I've ever had with a new set of sticks. I am going to do a writeup tonight but I just wanted to check back in and say how much I loved these clubs today. The uniflex shafts are making me take nice easy swings and the ball is just exploding off the clubface. My tease for the soon to come write up is that I am loving these so far.

Just getting back online. Came home to a house full of screaming kids. Played a pretty easy course today and shot an 84. Best round I think I've ever had with a new set of sticks. I am going to do a writeup tonight but I just wanted to check back in and say how much I loved these clubs today. The uniflex shafts are making me take nice easy swings and the ball is just exploding off the clubface. My tease for the soon to come write up is that I am loving these so far.

84!? Thats a solid round with new clubs even if the course is easy. Id be happy as a pig in mud with that score.

Looking forward to your thoughts, CL. That's a nice round with new sticks!

Thats great CL, looking forward to your thoughts, although the more you start to rave about these clubs the more I want them to be here.

Alright. Well I think the best way for me to do this is to recap the round as best as I can. I was playing to use the irons as much as I could so that meant layups on all par 5's and taking hybrid off the tee sometimes to play to a distance. There was no range at the course so my warmup was the first few holes and that showed. Watching the Haney show has gotten me thinking I should use putter anywhere near the green so this was my first time doing that and I was pleased with the results. The weather was beautiful except for a very stiff wind. Think 20-30 mph. Can't complain about 65 and sunny in February though.

1st hole(358)--Hybrid off the tee to leave me a 9iron into the green. Hit it solid but left it out to the right. My usual shot is a draw so this was a nice straight shot. Pin high. Ugly chip and a 3 putt leaves me with a 6

2nd hole(462)--Nice drive into the teeth of the wind on a uphill par 5. Laid up with a 6 iron and probably should have used my hybrid as the wind just grabbed this shot and killed it. Solid 6 iron but I couldn't keep it low. 6 iron again but this time I was able to flight it better and that got me to about a foot off the front of the green. Putted the ball to about 10 feet(yeah it was terrible) and a 2 putt left me with a 6

3rd hole(401)-- Nice drive on a short par 4 left me in the left rough with about 50 yards. Nice 1/2 SW to about 5 feet and I hit the putt. 3

4th hole(167)--Nice Par 3 with water in the front. Nice bit of wind in our face. Hit a knockdown 6 iron but pulled it just a little left onto the fringe. Putted the ball to 5 feet and 2 putted. 4

5th hole(496)-- Water about 250 out so took my hybrid off the tee. Laid up with 4 iron which left me 8 iron into the green but I was at a bad angle with tree problems hitting to an uphill green. Hit the 8 perfectly with a nice
low trajectory and it drew right around the tree. Walked up to the green and my ball was on. That was probably the shot of my round. Problem was that it left a triple breaking downhill 20 foot screamer. Yeah that was a 3 putt. 6

6th hole(148)-- Tough Par 3 straight into the wind. Hit a knock down 6 iron and flighted it perfect. Alignment not so perfect. Left of the green with an impossibly difficult chip that goes straight uphill but as soon as you get on the green it is straight downhill. Also water on the front so if you hit the chip too far you are swimming. Hit a very nice LW that trickled down to about 6 feet. Missed the putt. 4

7th hole(409)--Tough driving par 4. I could see water to the left but it looked open to the right. Hit a bomb exactly where I aimed and felt happy. Walked up to the spot only to see a lake. Playing partner didn't tell me the lake was there because it is 320 to the lake. I don't hit it 320. The wind was at our back and screaming. Dropped a ball and hit a beautiful 8 iron to about 15 feet. Let me preface this by saying thus far the greens were slightly slow so when my first putt went 15 feet past I was pretty surprised. 2 putts later and I take a painful 6.

8th hole(155)--Water in front and to the left. Hill to the right that if hit right should trickle down onto the green. I aimed way right. Took a 5 iron and hit a nice low screamer that hit right where I wanted it to and trickled down right to the edge of the green. Hit a very nice putt to about 2 feet and 1 putt. 3

9th hole(348)--Straight ahead par 4. Pulled my drive left but had a pretty straight GW left with a little tree problem. Hit the GW perfectly but the wind dropped it right in front of the green. Lagged my putt to 4 feet and made the putt. 4

So far in my round I am feeling very good about my new irons. It is a bit of a fight to get these to stay down but on most days that is not a big problem. They feel very nice when hit flushed and they will let you know when you have not hit them perfect. I am happy walking to the 10th

10th hole(441)--Uphill short par 5. Hit a nice drive that reaches the top of the hill. Left with 210 I pull the 4 iron. I think if I nut it I could possibly get it there. I don't nut it. This is my only mishit of the day. It rolls an impressive 160 yards down the fairway and leaves me with a 1/2 LW. Hit it a little far to the back of the green. Decent 2 putt gives me a 5

11th hole(396)--Nemesis hole. I hate it. Trouble all down the left side. Take my hybrid off the tee and of course pull it left. 170 with tree problems. Hit a very nice 6 iron that just clips the last branch and drops. Felt perfect. PW left with tree problems and I should also say that for some reason the course designer thought that he should put a tree right in the middle of the fairway in front of the green. So I need to hook this PW but also keep it low so it doesn't get the tree by the green. I did neither of those things. Hits 2 different trees but somehow comes down to the right of the green and leaves me a pretty easy chip. SW to 10 feet and I make the putt. 5

12th hole(163)--Water in the front and wind in our face. Hit a 5 iron that for a second looks like it is going to go in. It does not. Hits the back of the green and rolls over. Putt the ball but it is straight down hill and I leave myself 30 feet. 3 putt and I'm steaming. 5

13th hole(339)--Hybrid off the tee and I should not try and hit a fade. Ever. Honestly this hole is a bit of a blur. I'm a little angry as I felt like I had a good round going but I'm feeling it slide away. I can't remember the hole but I know I got a 5

14th hole(366)--Hit a nice driver but short. Left me with an 8 iron in. My partner for this entire hole has been telling me about a cemetery that is a free drop to the left of the green. It is all I can think of now. Pull the 8 iron left but not too bad. I'm on the fringe and I chunk my chip. Just off the green I putt to about 2 feet and make the putt. 5

15th hole(293)--Tee shot has trees that jut out on the right but once you are past them it is wide open. Driveable. Pull the driver and hit a nice low draw that stops about 15 yards short. Poor LW chip leaves me with 15 feet. Singe the left edge but make the 5 footer coming back. 4

16th hole(300)-- 3 wood off the tee leaves me a GW to the green. Water is long and also left. GW looks perfect and I'm thinking I have a tap in bird. Wind gust knocks it down to the front edge of the green. Horrific lag putt leaves me 14 feet. 2 putt gives me a 5. I curse the wind god.

17th hole(134)--Short uphill par 3. Hit a knockdown 9 iron perfectly. Leaves me a 20 footer. Just left it short. 3

18th hole(490)--Huge trees line this fairway right up to the green. Hit a horrific slice into the fairway over. Hit a nice 6 iron up and over the trees and leave myself a GW in the short stuff. Perfect 3/4 GW to 10 feet. Miss the putt. 5

Walked off feeling great. My best ball striking round with a set of new irons that I can ever remember. It usually takes me at least a month to get comfortable with a set of irons but I hit these great all day. Normal shots were a treat. Knockdown shots were difficult if I am going to be honest. The ball wants to go high and long with these clubs. Exaggerate the swing though and knockdowns are possible. Moving the ball was not a problem at all. I hit a bunch of draws and fades. I thought the length of these were going to cause me some problems but they didn't. Every shot but one felt like I hit if perfect. I can't wait for my next round

Great stuff CL. Love that the irons are working for you, this soon into the testing. Have you noticed that the "fat shafts" have helped at all with twisting or fat shots?

I have not noticed that CB. I hit the ball pretty well so I didn't have any fatties yesterday. I'm quite sure next round I will be able to test that though.

Loved the play-by-play CL. Sounds like your feelings are similar to mine when I hit these. They are very smooth and easy to hit a long way. Looking forward to more feedback as you continue to use them.

Today I am accosting every delivery van that pulls into work, doesn't matter the company. The shipper/receiver at the office is getting pretty tired of my face and probably hopes these get here sooner than later so I will leave her alone.

Yeah Im hoping these are waiting for me when I get back home. The kids are off school so hoping the gf's kid stays home long enough to bring them inside where its warm and dry. lol

Yeah Im hoping these are waiting for me when I get back home. The kids are off school so hoping the gf's kid stays home long enough to bring them inside where its warm and dry. lol

I bet you guys get these today, but mine come later in the week or next week. Who got different specs other than me? I think it was CL.

I bet you guys get these today, but mine come later in the week or next week. Who got different specs other than me? I think it was CL.

Yeah CL did, mine are steel shafts all regular specs. We need to find W/S hats now.

Yeah CL did, mine are steel shafts all regular specs. We need to find W/S hats now.

lol, I was just thinking that this morning that I should go to Golftown and get one. Got the putter and now these irons, and somehow after having almost a full OEM TM bag it is now empty of TM. I will pick up this hat later today if I find one I like.

Does Fed Ex deliver on Federal Holidays? The wife and daughter are both off for Presidents day so someone is home if they come today.

I'm thinking this hat, and its not a holiday in bc so if these have made it across the border I might get lucky.

View1_2010TourCap_2000x2000.jpg

Does Fed Ex deliver on Federal Holidays? The wife and daughter are both off for Presidents day so someone is home if they come today.

Passed a fed ex truck this morning so they are running today!

I'm thinking this hat, and its not a holiday in bc so if these have made it across the border I might get lucky.

View1_2010TourCap_2000x2000.jpg

I like that hat, but I'm going with this one
yhst-17159114447480_2143_182932330

Last edited:
Guys lets keep this thread to the actual testing and feedback and questions from members rather than the updates on if and when they arrive. Thanks everybody.

Yeah I saw the FedEx truck here at work too. CoolB I like that one. Might make a stop at GG on my way home and see if they have it.

Alright. Well I think the best way for me to do this is to recap the round as best as I can. I was playing to use the irons as much as I could so that meant layups on all par 5's and taking hybrid off the tee sometimes to play to a distance. There was no range at the course so my warmup was the first few holes and that showed. Watching the Haney show has gotten me thinking I should use putter anywhere near the green so this was my first time doing that and I was pleased with the results. The weather was beautiful except for a very stiff wind. Think 20-30 mph. Can't complain about 65 and sunny in February though.

1st hole(358)--Hybrid off the tee to leave me a 9iron into the green. Hit it solid but left it out to the right. My usual shot is a draw so this was a nice straight shot. Pin high. Ugly chip and a 3 putt leaves me with a 6

2nd hole(462)--Nice drive into the teeth of the wind on a uphill par 5. Laid up with a 6 iron and probably should have used my hybrid as the wind just grabbed this shot and killed it. Solid 6 iron but I couldn't keep it low. 6 iron again but this time I was able to flight it better and that got me to about a foot off the front of the green. Putted the ball to about 10 feet(yeah it was terrible) and a 2 putt left me with a 6

3rd hole(401)-- Nice drive on a short par 4 left me in the left rough with about 50 yards. Nice 1/2 SW to about 5 feet and I hit the putt. 3

4th hole(167)--Nice Par 3 with water in the front. Nice bit of wind in our face. Hit a knockdown 6 iron but pulled it just a little left onto the fringe. Putted the ball to 5 feet and 2 putted. 4

5th hole(496)-- Water about 250 out so took my hybrid off the tee. Laid up with 4 iron which left me 8 iron into the green but I was at a bad angle with tree problems hitting to an uphill green. Hit the 8 perfectly with a nice
low trajectory and it drew right around the tree. Walked up to the green and my ball was on. That was probably the shot of my round. Problem was that it left a triple breaking downhill 20 foot screamer. Yeah that was a 3 putt. 6

6th hole(148)-- Tough Par 3 straight into the wind. Hit a knock down 6 iron and flighted it perfect. Alignment not so perfect. Left of the green with an impossibly difficult chip that goes straight uphill but as soon as you get on the green it is straight downhill. Also water on the front so if you hit the chip too far you are swimming. Hit a very nice LW that trickled down to about 6 feet. Missed the putt. 4

7th hole(409)--Tough driving par 4. I could see water to the left but it looked open to the right. Hit a bomb exactly where I aimed and felt happy. Walked up to the spot only to see a lake. Playing partner didn't tell me the lake was there because it is 320 to the lake. I don't hit it 320. The wind was at our back and screaming. Dropped a ball and hit a beautiful 8 iron to about 15 feet. Let me preface this by saying thus far the greens were slightly slow so when my first putt went 15 feet past I was pretty surprised. 2 putts later and I take a painful 6.

8th hole(155)--Water in front and to the left. Hill to the right that if hit right should trickle down onto the green. I aimed way right. Took a 5 iron and hit a nice low screamer that hit right where I wanted it to and trickled down right to the edge of the green. Hit a very nice putt to about 2 feet and 1 putt. 3

9th hole(348)--Straight ahead par 4. Pulled my drive left but had a pretty straight GW left with a little tree problem. Hit the GW perfectly but the wind dropped it right in front of the green. Lagged my putt to 4 feet and made the putt. 4

So far in my round I am feeling very good about my new irons. It is a bit of a fight to get these to stay down but on most days that is not a big problem. They feel very nice when hit flushed and they will let you know when you have not hit them perfect. I am happy walking to the 10th

10th hole(441)--Uphill short par 5. Hit a nice drive that reaches the top of the hill. Left with 210 I pull the 4 iron. I think if I nut it I could possibly get it there. I don't nut it. This is my only mishit of the day. It rolls an impressive 160 yards down the fairway and leaves me with a 1/2 LW. Hit it a little far to the back of the green. Decent 2 putt gives me a 5

11th hole(396)--Nemesis hole. I hate it. Trouble all down the left side. Take my hybrid off the tee and of course pull it left. 170 with tree problems. Hit a very nice 6 iron that just clips the last branch and drops. Felt perfect. PW left with tree problems and I should also say that for some reason the course designer thought that he should put a tree right in the middle of the fairway in front of the green. So I need to hook this PW but also keep it low so it doesn't get the tree by the green. I did neither of those things. Hits 2 different trees but somehow comes down to the right of the green and leaves me a pretty easy chip. SW to 10 feet and I make the putt. 5

12th hole(163)--Water in the front and wind in our face. Hit a 5 iron that for a second looks like it is going to go in. It does not. Hits the back of the green and rolls over. Putt the ball but it is straight down hill and I leave myself 30 feet. 3 putt and I'm steaming. 5

13th hole(339)--Hybrid off the tee and I should not try and hit a fade. Ever. Honestly this hole is a bit of a blur. I'm a little angry as I felt like I had a good round going but I'm feeling it slide away. I can't remember the hole but I know I got a 5

14th hole(366)--Hit a nice driver but short. Left me with an 8 iron in. My partner for this entire hole has been telling me about a cemetery that is a free drop to the left of the green. It is all I can think of now. Pull the 8 iron left but not too bad. I'm on the fringe and I chunk my chip. Just off the green I putt to about 2 feet and make the putt. 5

15th hole(293)--Tee shot has trees that jut out on the right but once you are past them it is wide open. Driveable. Pull the driver and hit a nice low draw that stops about 15 yards short. Poor LW chip leaves me with 15 feet. Singe the left edge but make the 5 footer coming back. 4

16th hole(300)-- 3 wood off the tee leaves me a GW to the green. Water is long and also left. GW looks perfect and I'm thinking I have a tap in bird. Wind gust knocks it down to the front edge of the green. Horrific lag putt leaves me 14 feet. 2 putt gives me a 5. I curse the wind god.

17th hole(134)--Short uphill par 3. Hit a knockdown 9 iron perfectly. Leaves me a 20 footer. Just left it short. 3

18th hole(490)--Huge trees line this fairway right up to the green. Hit a horrific slice into the fairway over. Hit a nice 6 iron up and over the trees and leave myself a GW in the short stuff. Perfect 3/4 GW to 10 feet. Miss the putt. 5

Walked off feeling great. My best ball striking round with a set of new irons that I can ever remember. It usually takes me at least a month to get comfortable with a set of irons but I hit these great all day. Normal shots were a treat. Knockdown shots were difficult if I am going to be honest. The ball wants to go high and long with these clubs. Exaggerate the swing though and knockdowns are possible. Moving the ball was not a problem at all. I hit a bunch of draws and fades. I thought the length of these were going to cause me some problems but they didn't. Every shot but one felt like I hit if perfect. I can't wait for my next round

Fantastic write-up! I really enjoyed reading this! After hearing how this round went I can't wait for your next round either. :smile:

The irons just got here and as soon as I find my camera the pics will be posted.

Back