TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

Just walking off the course. Hit some nice shots with these today. Will post later when I get home.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

I've hit both the MC and the CB head to head and they are both great clubs. Many have said that the MC has a lower ball flight and it does, but slightly, especially in the longer irons. The CB's ball flight is higher than the MC's and like Dr. Teeth said, if you already hit the ball high the CB's will send your ball to the moon. The MC will give you great turf interaction and penetrating ball flight. I'm probably going to go with a set of the CB's mainly because they are slightly more forgiving and they helped me get the ball up in a hurry.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

This could be true, but I guess it depends on shaft. THe XP shaft plays a MAJOR roll in the ball flight.

This could be true, but I guess it depends on shaft. THe XP shaft plays a MAJOR roll in the ball flight.

I would be interested to hit the CBs with a DGS3000 in it to see the difference- the CBs certainly have a COG that is lower and much further back than the MCs which has pretty big effects on ball flight. I am not so willing to chalk up the launch differences to JUST the shaft until apples to apples have been compared. Heck, I am just looking forward to the outing when I can hit the CBs for myself.

I would be interested to hit the CBs with a DGS3000 in it to see the difference- the CBs certainly have a COG that is lower and much further back than the MCs which has pretty big effects on ball flight. I am not so willing to chalk up the launch differences to JUST the shaft until apples to apples have been compared. Heck, I am just looking forward to the outing when I can hit the CBs for myself.

I dont know if anyone has the DGS300 in the CB's. But I am not sure.

While I do agree with you, I think that the differences (assuming both have the same shaft) would be hard to identify with the naked eye.

I dont know if anyone has the DGS300 in the CB's. But I am not sure.

I am not aware of anyone who has one. If I do split my set I would be adding a 5i and 6i in CB with a s3000. Maybe after the outing I'll be able to compare head to head.

While I do agree with you, I think that the differences (assuming both have the same shaft) would be hard to identify with the naked eye.

I would tend to disagree with you though. The shaft is contributing, but the eye test of looking at the design on the club tells me the club itself would launch higher. No one is right (or wrong) until we can prove it though, and I do respect your opinion.

What makes the MCs less forgiving is exactly what makes them lower launching.

I would tend to disagree with you though. The shaft is contributing, but the eye test of looking at the design on the club tells me the club itself would launch higher.

Maybe. I also assume that your 6 iron isn't the same loft as the CB 6iron so it really doesn't matter. I've put 12 different shafts into the same iron head and watched all of my spin #'s and shot heights change dramatically.

Maybe. I also assume that your 6 iron isn't the same loft as the CB 6iron so it really doesn't matter. I've put 12 different shafts into the same iron head and watched all of my spin #'s and shot heights change dramatically.

The CB 6i is 29* and the Mc is 30* so there would be a small discrepancy, being biased towards the CB having a lower flight (or MC having a higher one).

I certainly respect your thoughts on the matter though, and it is giving me something to think about. I haven't done a ton of shaft fitting in irons, just drivers.

I would tend to disagree with you though. The shaft is contributing, but the eye test of looking at the design on the club tells me the club itself would launch higher.

well, I think it has to do with the specific swing and the shaft. I would bet that a great golfer could launch a blade higher than a CB. THere are many factors that would go into this. I just dont think that it is the iron head that makes that much of a difference. And yes, I do understand different make ups of different clubs.

I would tend to believe that it is more to do with the shaft than you think. I did a little comparison with the S3 today and they are much more aggressive with their perimeter weighting. The CBs were way higher.

Posted via Tapatalk.

The CB 6i is 29* and the MB is 30*

I assume you mean MC?

Either way, I still think with the same shafts, you'd be hard pressed to tell a tremendous difference in shot height with the naked eye. I'm fairly firm on this stance b/c I tend to play lots of golf outside, I'm not a sim golfer.

I would tend to believe that it is more to do with the shaft than you think. I did a little comparison with the S3 today and they are much more aggressive with their perimeter weighting. The CBs were way higher.

Posted via Tapatalk.

exactly, I am doing a little test of my own tomorrow...it will include the CB, the CG16, and the Burner 2.0

exactly, I am doing a little test of my own tomorrow...it will include the CB, the CG16, and the Burner 2.0

It's still a tough comparison though b/c all the shafts are completely different.

It's still a tough comparison though b/c all the shafts are completely different.

I completely agree, but two are considered GI and the CB is considered GE...hence my workability lately

And I mean, really, way higher. It was kind of crazy to see.

Posted via Tapatalk.

I agree. What I was trying to say is that the xp shaft really wants to launch the ball high for me.

Posted via Tapatalk.

What are the lofts of the S3 vs the CBs? Aren't the S3s really strong lofted?

I am not trying to be a pain, or spark an argument or anything about this- just spurn a little discussion about something that seems to get glossed over with "its just the shaft". You all know that I put a lot of weight in trial, numbers, and science- and without a head to head comparison it becomes tough to make any firm decisions about what is causing it.

If it were up to me I would golf a lot more in real life and not on a SIM, but that is what mother nature delivers me. 5" of snow on Wednesday shut back down the few courses that were open. This has been the coldest/wettest spring that I can remember in Ohio.

I agree. What I was trying to say is that the xp shaft really wants to launch the ball high for me.
Posted via Tapatalk.

They are really high launching shafts.

What are the lofts of the S3 vs the CBs? Aren't the S3s really strong lofted?

I am not trying to be a pain, or spark an argument or anything about this- just spurn a little discussion about something that seems to get glossed over with "its just the shaft". You all know that I put a lot of weight in trial, numbers, and science- and without a head to head comparison it becomes tough to make any firm decisions about what is causing it.

If it were up to me I would golf a lot more in real life and not on a SIM, but that is what mother nature delivers me. 5" of snow on Wednesday shut back down the few courses that were open. This has been the coldest/wettest spring that I can remember in Ohio.

I know Rx, what I mean is that when I do a lot of testing, I have the fortune of being able to do it outside as well, that's all. And I do think that you are correct, it's not solely the shaft, but I think the shaft plays a higher % of the role.

I also think that the conditions can have a lot to do with it as well.

The lofts are nor that different. Maybe two degrees?

Posted via Tapatalk.

OK, I got to take these out to the range today on the grass hitting area.

As a quick aside, a driving range very close to where I live that closed down about 1.5 years ago reopened a couple weeks ago better than ever. They put in all new mats for the covered driving range area, and redid the putting green and bunker/chipping green. They are really nice now. They also put in new irrigation in all the grass hitting areas so the conditions should be excellent all year. The place is huge. The grass hitting areas is at least 150 yards wide. AND they now offer yearly memberships. 420 bucks for unlimited range balls / use of short game area. Needless to say I'm a new member and will be practicing the crap out of my game this year. Also, they are putting in heaters when the winter months come. I'm stoked that someone bought this range that's a golfer, cuz he gets it.

Anyways, back to the MCs.

From where I was hitting, I had 2 target greens I was working with for my PW, the first was about 105 yards away, the 2nd about 145 yards to center. If anything there was a 0-5 mph wind behind and helping. After warming up, I got right to the PW and was hitting darts at the 145 yard green. These greens are tiny, and I was still hitting the green more than half the time with my first 10 or so shots. After that, as I loosened up, I started hitting them right over the pin, but over the green (about 150-155 of carry). As I've gotten used to these irons, I'm hitting them plenty long now. I can take a full swing on them and make good contact most of the time, and the results are very good. I just really love this PW.

Next, I moved to hitting PW to the 105 yard green. Again, it is reasy to hit 2/3 swing shots with this club. I flight them a little lower and was generally all over the pin on this green again. This is the first PW I've gamed that I am very comfortable playing less than full shots with. I really don't feel I need a gap wedge anymore with this club. I just have become quite comfortable with anything between 90 and 150 yards with this club in my hands. The versatility is excellent, and its hard to imagine I'd play another PW as well as I am playing this one right now.

Next I moved on to 8 iron, as the next green out sits about 170 yards away (middle of green). I didn't hit the green quite as consistently (again, this green is less than 10 yards wide), but I was putting it withint 5 yards of pin high on most swings. I love the medium ball flight with this club/shaft combo. And the turf interaction (on fairway type lies) is divine. The sound is close to perfect and the feedback on less than perfect strikes is precise. I was hitting it well, so the worst shots I hit were probabl less than 1/2 inch off center so I was seeing very little distance loss with the 8 iron... maybe 10 yards.

Next in line was a 210 yard pin. I was feeling saucy so I pulled the 5 iron to see what I could do. Here I wasn't quite as consistent (I think I was overswinging a little due to the distance), but I hit more than half well, and got a couple to bounce up onto the green. I find I can flight the 5 iron pretty high when I hit a cut, but I can only hit the cut about 190ish yards. When I turn it over a little for a baby draw, I can get it to fly about 200 yards with some decent rollout. Misshits with these start hurting me pretty good though... up to 30 yards of distance loss on toe hits for sure.

To round out my MC day at the range, I switched to the 3 iron. Of my first 10 shots, I probably only hit about 2 decent shots. Its mostly mental, but I find it difficult to not overswing with this club in my hands. After 10 swings, I started relaxing a little, and started hitting some quality shots. The ball flight continues to be lower than I would want in this club. I hit a couple nice low stingers that landed on or just beyond the 210 yard green, but they rolled out a lot. This club is just hard to control for me. By comparison, the M3 Mashie is at least 10 yards longer and lands so much softer.

Overall, I continue to really enjoy these clubs. They are a joy to play and PW through at least the 8 iron are giving me really solid results. In the longer irons, I am getting less than optimal results. Really, this is not so surprising to me as I'm no tour player. I've pretty much decided at this point that an M5 mashie will help me out more than using the 3 and 4 MC irons, unless maybe playing in very windy conditions or extreme links style layouts where running the ball up on greens is a good strategy.

Good stuff g4l!

I was able to take these out today on a short 9 hole course. The ground was soft because of the snow/rain that came through Thursday night. It was also pretty windy out there today, but who cares I was out on the course golfing! Here are just a few highlights

The first hole was a par 3 and the GPS had the center of the green at 127, 140 to the back. The flag was probably about 135, so I took out my PW and put a nice swing on it. The ball hit and settled up about 4 feet to the hole to set up a nice birdie to start the round.

Hole 3 a short par 4 with an approach shot to an elevated green. Used my M1 off the tee to find the fairway and then hit a 9 iron just off to the right of the green. The distance was perfect. The GPS read 138 to the center of the green, which was about 30 feet uphill. Niblick up and in and I'm walking off with par.

Hole 5 I was looking at 160 to the center of the green with trouble(OB) long. Used a 7 iron and came just about 10 feet short. I didn't catch that one great, a little on the inside, but it still had a good line on the green but alas came up short.

Hole 7 was a par 3 over water at 185. 5 iron lands right on the side of the green which led to a 2 putt par. That 5 iron may have been the best shot of my round. There was a strong cross breeze, and if you've read this thread I have struggled on and off with the 5 iron. Anyway, I hit this one near the center of the face and the ball cut through the wind enough to carry the water and land on the green.

The 9th hole I was faced with a 170 yard shot uphill to the green. I was in a good position and used the 6 iron. I hit it well, but just pulled it a little bit and missed the green on the left. The yardage was good. Niblick up and a 2 putt had me walking off with bogey.

Overall I thought I hit the ball well today. It was my first time on a course in a few weeks. The course was short so I didn't really hit many long irons, I think I hit the 5 once and the 6 once, other than that it was mostly the 8-pw.

Great feedback G4L. Dialing in those scoring irons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Ddec! Im glad to see youre hitting these well. Played some golf with ya and I know youve got the game for these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are really high launching shafts.

I know Rx, what I mean is that when I do a lot of testing, I have the fortune of being able to do it outside as well, that's all. And I do think that you are correct, it's not solely the shaft, but I think the shaft plays a higher % of the role.

I also think that the conditions can have a lot to do with it as well.

You are 100% right here, the shaft would make more difference to most than 2* of loft.

Back