2012 THP Golf Outing & Demo Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grand Cypress Golf is about knowing and trusting your yardages. Its about playing smart golf rather than just hitting far and hard. At the new course its about knowing the distances to avoid pot bunkers which can look like they are everywhere, laying up when needed, and being good around the greens. On the North/South its about "working" your way around the course. Playing smart golf and taking your medicine after a bad shot to avoid the big number.

Scores can be had out there and its one of my favorite courses around, but there are lots of hazards and bunkers and knowledge of your distances and off the tee and around the course is crucial.

I'm learning a lot about course management this year. Maybe playing smarter next year will help me a lot. Of course, you still have to know how to putt too. Poor OG went for the long ball and ended up in those pot bunkers so many times it wasn't even funny. I think his course management skills are definitely getting better as we play more courses. I sure hope so!

Sounds like its the Iceman of golf courses....wears you down until you get bored or frustrated then you do something stupid and its got ya.

crap, sounds like I'm going to have to learn to be a good bunker player by next May. Can't pick many ball out of FL sand that's for sure

Grand Cypress Golf is about knowing and trusting your yardages. Its about playing smart golf rather than just hitting far and hard. At the new course its about knowing the distances to avoid pot bunkers which can look like they are everywhere, laying up when needed, and being good around the greens. On the North/South its about "working" your way around the course. Playing smart golf and taking your medicine after a bad shot to avoid the big number.

Scores can be had out there and its one of my favorite courses around, but there are lots of hazards and bunkers and knowledge of your distances and off the tee and around the course is crucial.

I'm by no means a traveled golfer especially on nice courses but it was a rude awakening as this is one of those courses you just can't overpower. Was really fun to actually play some shots as opposed to just bomb and gouge.

Another thing to know on the New Course: know which color flag denotes the front nine vs. the back nine! There are a bunch of double greens out there, hitting at the wrong flag is not fun at all.

I played both of the courses back in February and had a great time down there. The pot bunkers are somewhat intimidating on the New Course, but the fairways are wide and you can use that to your advantage to figure out different ways to approach the greens. The North/South is more of a traditional layout and is much more demanding in my mind than the New Course. You can shoot a good score, but like JB said, you have to be smart about it.

I'm learning a lot about course management this year. Maybe playing smarter next year will help me a lot. Of course, you still have to know how to putt too. Poor OG went for the long ball and ended up in those pot bunkers so many times it wasn't even funny. I think his course management skills are definitely getting better as we play more courses. I sure hope so!

Cmon KB. We both know the end of that story already. And the good guy (OG) does not come out the victor. Playing smart and Ole Gray in the same sentence is fun though. :bananadance::beat-up:

And when will you course strategy books with these different distances be available in the THP shop for purchase? hehe

WR brings a very good point JB, does the pro shop have yardage books available?

And when will you course strategy books with these different distances be available in the THP shop for purchase? hehe

GPS in the carts is a wonderful thing.

It's really nice GPS and accurate as well.

One course around here has GPS in the carts and on 3 or 4 holes it's all out of whack. Not at this place though. Flyovers and everything.

WR brings a very good point JB, does the pro shop have yardage books available?

GPS in the carts is a wonderful thing.

That is awesome, thanks for the reminder ary. I had read that in this thread but it did not come to mind so early in the a.m. for me.

Not only do they have really really good GPS units, but the units give a flyover before each hole and have a pro tip that will talk about alignment on each hole as well.

Not only do they have really really good GPS units, but the units give a flyover before each hole and have a pro tip that will talk about alignment on each hole as well.

thats awesome!

Yes it is but course knowledge is even better.

Check out what JRod said, there's a lot of information on the GPS in the carts. I think that you can also buy yardage books from the course as well.

Like hearing this. I'm by no means a power player, so keep it straight and know the distances and even I can keep up with the Jones's. I do remember that Florida sand, or should we call it talcom powder, lol. I consider myself pretty good at getting out of the little amount of sand we have here, but its a different animal in Florida.

2 1/2 more weeks and I'll be down there for my trial run at Grand Cypress, I'll make sure to post some pics and try to get some video if I can pickup something for cheap

Like hearing this. I'm by no means a power player, so keep it straight and know the distances and even I can keep up with the Jones's. I do remember that Florida sand, or should we call it talcom powder, lol. I consider myself pretty good at getting out of the little amount of sand we have here, but its a different animal in Florida.

I love me some Florida sand. I would rather have a decent lie in a bunker than be in that velcro rough any day.

I love me some Florida sand. I would rather have a decent lie in a bunker than be in that velcro rough any day.

I agree JRod, that ball eating rough can be extremely tough to play. At least from the sand you can control the direction of the ball.

2 1/2 more weeks and I'll be down there for my trial run at Grand Cypress, I'll make sure to post some pics and try to get some video if I can pickup something for cheap

Looking forward to it!! I was just on their site seeing if I could afford a pre-outing trip myself. Not sure about that one. :sad:

I agree JRod, that ball eating rough can be extremely tough to play. At least from the sand you can control the direction of the ball.

This was by far the hardest adjustment for me going down to the MC. Bermuda rough on short pitches plays so much different than bentgrass.

I dont know what you mean. Most FL sand is harder and more compact at better courses and more similar to the tour type of sand. Wet, etc.

Yes sir, I remember that too, lol. It wasn't quite so bad at WPB last year, but the course we played with Spank in Orlando was ROUGH to say the least. You had to be straight over head to find your ball 2" away from the fairway.

This was by far the hardest adjustment for me going down to the MC. Bermuda rough on short pitches plays so much different than bentgrass.

those short shots out of the rough are where I struggled too down at reunion

I dont know what you mean. Most FL sand is harder and more compact at better courses and more similar to the tour type of sand. Wet, etc.

It's much different than we have around here though. Our sand is no where near as fine/powdery if that makes sense. I liked the challenge of the different rough and sand, but there was a learning curve. I found I needed to hit a little further behind the ball with more swing speed to fluff the ball into the air. It's really kind of cool to see all that sand toss the ball out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back