2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am fully expecting to end up back on the blood pressure meds when I go back for the results of my 24hr BP reading so want to get fitter to ensure I have as short a time as possible on them

Are these the ones that are advertised as 'couch potato to 5K/10K' apps? If so, I have installed the 5K one and will be starting it as soon as I pick myself up some running shoes because I don't have anything these days that I can use for running as my badminton shoes are designed for specifically playing badminton. Might have a chance to look at some shoes tonight, but more likely will be the weekend before I get a chance to go trying pairs on

It's a similar app (Couch to 5k vs 5k Runner ((I use 5K Runner)), when you look in the app store (I use apple so all of my references are to the Apple Store) if you search for them they show up next to each other with the search. I think either would work. I'm a big proponent of trying on running shoes and testing them out, unless I'm familiar with the model. Good luck!

It's a similar app (Couch to 5k vs 5k Runner ((I use 5K Runner)), when you look in the app store (I use apple so all of my references are to the Apple Store) if you search for them they show up next to each other with the search. I think either would work. I'm a big proponent of trying on running shoes and testing them out, unless I'm familiar with the model. Good luck!

Yup. Totally agree. It's like anything else. Get fitted.

Lots of cardio going on in the New Year! Love it!

Did the 5 am wake up call to get the Morgan Cup workout in today. BOSU squats were created by Satan

KG

Just Tapping Away

I was going to the gym yesterday but opted to walk three miles with my Dawg instead. Today is better anyway as the weather is nasty and wet. Heading off at 10:00 a.m. for my workout.

I am on Android so the app you use may be in there somewhere

Cheers for the good luck - hopefully once I get my mind back into the 'active' state I should be fine, it is just the fact that I haven't been able to do anything for about 9 months so as long as I don't go silly and injure my back again I hope that I can get fit again and lose as much of the weight as possible

I am on Android so the app you use may be in there somewhere

Cheers for the good luck - hopefully once I get my mind back into the 'active' state I should be fine, it is just the fact that I haven't been able to do anything for about 9 months so as long as I don't go silly and injure my back again I hope that I can get fit again and lose as much of the weight as possible

Just make sure to start out easy. It's ordinary to expect that you will be right where you were prior to injury. Of course you won't be- but sometimes people push too hard and end up reinjuring something. Slow and steady and it will all come back.

Just make sure to start out easy. It's ordinary to expect that you will be right where you were prior to injury. Of course you won't be- but sometimes people push too hard and end up reinjuring something. Slow and steady and it will all come back.

Without a doubt, there is no way I will be pushing myself hard - I have had a couple of difficult years recently with injuries and never got back to where I used to be. It absolutely sucks to not be able to do anything when I have always been so active (football, golf, badminton, former national gymnastics champion)

Started with a torn muscle and partially ruptured tendon in my groin that put me out for about 6/7 months - lots of physio later and I was getting back to fitness and was playing 5-a-side football with mates and had a freak accident that messed up all the ligaments in my ankle and put me out of action for even longer

Got back to playing badminton for a couple of months and then was VERY frustrated when I popped a joint in my back just by leaning over and it has taken about 9 months for it to settle down properly and for me to get some strength back in the muscles around the joint - I was quite surprised when my physio actually said that golf (in moderation) was actually good for rehab as the swinging motion helped to stretch and loosen the muscles affected (obviously after ensuring I had warmed up first)

So a couple of years of relatively little activity has resulted in the addition of quite a bit of weight so ideally I would like to lose all of that weight - I haven't stood on any scales recently but I wouldn't be surprised to see my weight being somewhere around 16.5 stone meaning I need to lose approx 2 stone to get back down to the 'healthy' weight range, but seeing as that doesn't take into account muscle being heavier than fat, I will be happy to hit a target weight of 15 stone

Without a doubt, there is no way I will be pushing myself hard - I have had a couple of difficult years recently with injuries and never got back to where I used to be. It absolutely sucks to not be able to do anything when I have always been so active (football, golf, badminton, former national gymnastics champion)

Started with a torn muscle and partially ruptured tendon in my groin that put me out for about 6/7 months - lots of physio later and I was getting back to fitness and was playing 5-a-side football with mates and had a freak accident that messed up all the ligaments in my ankle and put me out of action for even longer

Got back to playing badminton for a couple of months and then was VERY frustrated when I popped a joint in my back just by leaning over and it has taken about 9 months for it to settle down properly and for me to get some strength back in the muscles around the joint - I was quite surprised when my physio actually said that golf (in moderation) was actually good for rehab as the swinging motion helped to stretch and loosen the muscles affected (obviously after ensuring I had warmed up first)

So a couple of years of relatively little activity has resulted in the addition of quite a bit of weight so ideally I would like to lose all of that weight - I haven't stood on any scales recently but I wouldn't be surprised to see my weight being somewhere around 16.5 stone meaning I need to lose approx 2 stone to get back down to the 'healthy' weight range, but seeing as that doesn't take into account muscle being heavier than fat, I will be happy to hit a target weight of 15 stone

Good luck my man and keep us updated!!!

Good luck my man and keep us updated!!!

First update - I have survived badminton tonight...lol

No doubt I will feel a bit stiff tomorrow but I have done more stretching since I got home and don't feel as bad as I was expecting

Did the 5 am wake up call to get the Morgan Cup workout in today. BOSU squats were created by Satan

KG

Just Tapping Away
I do push ups and planks with the Bosu.... Satan does reside inside that thing.... I'm trying to get to the point where I can plank off the giant ball we have.

No doubt I will feel a bit stiff tomorrow but I have done more stretching since I got home and don't feel as bad as I was expecting

Good news!!

Nice! One another that you might want to look into, it really helped me after I tore my meniscus and just helps with overall wellness is yoga. Just a thought, glad you made it through badminton.

Trying to do some yoga/streching for this new year, but I just can't get into it!

Other then that, my breakfasts have been great! I've been eating alot of oatmeal, and granola.

Nice! One another that you might want to look into, it really helped me after I tore my meniscus and just helps with overall wellness is yoga. Just a thought, glad you made it through badminton.

At this moment in time I am going to stick with the exercises given to me by my physio but I wouldn't rule out any other options such as yoga at some point in time

I worked out hard on my legs today.

Elliptical machine, tread mill and four machines in the gym that are designed to work the legs hard .

1 & 1/2 hours on the legs/cardio

30 minutes on upper body work out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really enjoyed playing badminton when I visited friends in Cornwall years ago. It can be a great workout too. Not big in the states, unfortunately - no gyms ever open with free time - basketball rules.

I shoveled snow for an hour today. Does that count as a total body workout?

I also walked 3 miles yesterday to start the new year off right. I don't mind walking through the snow (or sledding or skiing through it) - but I'm not fond of shoveling the stuff.

I'm still sticking with Yoga and the Velocity Sports thing. The workouts at Velocity are such killers. I'm actually really enjoying doing Yoga. Maybe because I'm the only guys in there most of the time. It's just really relaxing which is a very good thing for me.

Has anyone here attempted a liquid diet of sorts, no alcohol type, where you just drank protein shakes for awhile. I need to shock my system a bit.

Has anyone here attempted a liquid diet of sorts, no alcohol type, where you just drank protein shakes for awhile. I need to shock my system a bit.

My parents do the juicing thing from time to time and they swear by it. I don't think I could go a week with only liquids but they have both lost weight. They do it once every two months or so.

Tonight I did:

Recumbent Bike x 10 min
Half-Kneeling Lifts with 50# resistance tubing
Tall-Kneeling Lifts with 50# resistance tubing
Simulated golf swing with same tubing to left and right, keeping my body symmetrical
Pull Exercises: Scapular retractions, PNF patterns, W's
Lunges and Reverse Lunges
Deep Squats with no weight

Not a bad little workout...

My parents do the juicing thing from time to time and they swear by it. I don't think I could go a week with only liquids but they have both lost weight. They do it once every two months or so.

Have you watched the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead? Great movie.

Have you watched the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead? Great movie.

I've heard of it but haven't seen it yet. I'll have to check it out.

I've heard of it but haven't seen it yet. I'll have to check it out.

Interesting to say the least. Been thinking of doing a little of both, mixture of protein shakes and juice for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back