2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea i was doing the alphabet when i was in rehab...you could do quite a few things:

1) get a theraband and do the 'cardinal directions' with your foot. ie pressing down, lifting your ankle towards you, then going to the left, and to the right while wrapping the theraband around the bottom/top of your foot pending which direction your going

2) find yourself a balance pad, round disc that's kinda like a deflated water balloon and stand on it, one ankle at a time for a period of 30 seconds, 3x...to make it harder...have someone toss you a weighted object, preferably a medicine ball (like, 5 lbs or so should do)

3) get tape and put an x on the floor, like, 18 in by 18 in. (all the following exercises are 30 seconds, 3x) then do side to side; front to back; counter clockwise; clockwise. do each exercise as fast as you can as hard as you can for the allotted time.

those ankles will be good in no time ;)

Really good thoughts bro. Excellent ankle strengthening program.

Well, mild right rotator cuff tendonitis with some nerve inflamation. Stupid upright rows.

Glad to Have today's workout behind me. It was a tough one. Did five min warm up. 10 run. 3 walk. 10 run. 5 cool down.

Almost backed out if running. Tired from golfing and driving a lot over the past few days. I felt like if I didn't make it, I would regret it. I didn't do much this morning and only have to study tonight.

Been with the flu for a week, this weekend was better, so tomorrow morning I'll hit the gym, softly, but still!
Haven't moved a muscle for a week, and mostly been eating chocolate and unhealthy pity-sick-flu food :D Gym, love it.
Then some TPI mobility training in the evening!

Well, mild right rotator cuff tendonitis with some nerve inflamation. Stupid upright rows.

Sorry to hear man. Get better soon!

Nice job man! Glad you got through it bro!

Glad to Have today's workout behind me. It was a tough one. Did five min warm up. 10 run. 3 walk. 10 run. 5 cool down.

Almost backed out if running. Tired from golfing and driving a lot over the past few days. I felt like if I didn't make it, I would regret it. I didn't do much this morning and only have to study tonight.

Last comment was for you dhill!

Been with the flu for a week, this weekend was better, so tomorrow morning I'll hit the gym, softly, but still!
Haven't moved a muscle for a week, and mostly been eating chocolate and unhealthy pity-sick-flu food :D Gym, love it.
Then some TPI mobility training in the evening!

Have a great workout bro! Glad you are feeling better!

Huge congrats to Cookie on finishing a half marathon!! Way to go dude!

Thanks buddy, appreciate it! Knees hurt like crazy but all is good. First of many I hope!

Amazing accomplishment my man. Really happy for you!

Congrats Cookie. That's awesome you did it!

I'm gonna test out the leg tonight for a run. I have been sitting it for a week + now in an effort to ward off potential injury, but I need to get back on the burner after having 3 holiday parties in 3 days.

In lew of my recently diagnosed rotator cuff tendinitis, I reworked the routine. Not as size orientated, more compound movement and body weight based excercises. Here was the plan tonight:

1a. Incline dumbbell fly 3 x 10
1b. Decline pushup 4 x 10. 30 seconds of rest
2. Standing single arm cable chest press 1x15; 1x12; 1x8; 1x8. 20 seconds of rest
3. Alternating Dumbbell bench chest press forced set 5x5 no rest between sets
4. Bodyweight Horizontal scapula shrug 3x10. 25 seconds of rest
5. Hanging knee raise 3x12. 30 seconds of rest
20 minutes of interval training on eliptical machine

Hope it went well interlooper. Blue that still sounds tough. How did the cuff hold up?

Last week of the semester for school has me not working out. I am going for my lesson tomorrow and Thursday, so hopefully all won't be lost.

Nice looking superset. :D:D:banghead:

In lew of my recently diagnosed rotator cuff tendinitis, I reworked the routine. Not as size orientated, more compound movement and body weight based excercises. Here was the plan tonight:

1a. Incline dumbbell fly 3 x 10
1b. Decline pushup 4 x 10. 30 seconds of rest
2. Standing single arm cable chest press 1x15; 1x12; 1x8; 1x8. 20 seconds of rest
3. Alternating Dumbbell bench chest press forced set 5x5 no rest between sets
4. Bodyweight Horizontal scapula shrug 3x10. 25 seconds of rest
5. Hanging knee raise 3x12. 30 seconds of rest
20 minutes of interval training on eliptical machine

Hope it went well interlooper. Blue that still sounds tough. How did the cuff hold up?

So far so good. I can post a link in this thread to an article that Adam Campbell (fitness editor for Men's Health) tweeted to me. It basically said that the goal shouldn't be to strengthen the rotator cuff. But to strengthen the muscles that support and work the scapula. And any push lift that doesn't allow the shoulder blades to move with the lift is dangerous.

Nice looking superset. :D:D:banghead:

Thanks friend. That was the goal. It's a good warmup.

I'm gonna test out the leg tonight for a run. I have been sitting it for a week + now in an effort to ward off potential injury, but I need to get back on the burner after having 3 holiday parties in 3 days.

Thanks, dhill. I think it went fairly well. I gave it a pretty significant stress-test to see how it did. Ran 4.35 miles at 8:33 pace and then did ten 75-yard sprints up a hill of about 12% grade.

I woke up this morning with soreness, but I saw that as a good sign... because it was just "sore", not really tender or painful. Probably will give it an extra day off this week to be sure though.

Thanks, dhill. I think it went fairly well. I gave it a pretty significant stress-test to see how it did. Ran 4.35 miles at 8:33 pace and then did ten 75-yard sprints up a hill of about 12% grade.

I woke up this morning with soreness, but I saw that as a good sign... because it was just "sore", not really tender or painful. Probably will give it an extra day off this week to be sure though.

Good news my man! Good thoughts about the extra rest as well.

Did a quick run on the treadmill last night. First time running since Thanksgiving. Didn't feel too great last night but feel good this morning. Have a 5k set up for this Saturday night, so we'll see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back