2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to put in for a little vacation time at work and come hang out, I think. Being under 2 hours away, I'd feel like I was cheating myself if I didn't.

Are any more volunteers needed? I would be happy to lend a hand if needed.

So cool! More people, more buzz, more excitement!

That first tee is going to be really tough this year with JB doing the intros....GG did a great job...but you know Josh will be a little more brutal than she could. Plus there are 8 more guys there this year and probably even more volunteers. Good thing that first fairway at TrueBlue is wide enough to land a plane on!

I'm sure I will have one of the most memorable golfing experiences of my life on that first tee!

I am going to put in for a little vacation time at work and come hang out, I think. Being under 2 hours away, I'd feel like I was cheating myself if I didn't.

You will not regret coming. It's an awesome weekend

Guys just a little tidbit of info. I haven't played in a MC but I have played in a great many events. Be positive from this point forward. Do not over think the first tee as its one of three we will have that weekend.

Dance with who you brought. I know you all are working hard on your games and it will show in MB. Peg it and swing, it'll go where the face is aimed. Nothing you can do about tha except keep working.

Have fun! We are competing for a great trophy but have fun, golf is fun. This event is epic fun.

I'm not so worried about first tee jitters (which I know there will be), but rather how to stop the bleeding if my swing goes wrong. As optimistic as I want to be, I find it hard to believe I'm going to play great golf the entire weekend. I've got to figure out how to quickly get back on track if I get off track.

I think a big key will be not to let myself have more than 1 bad hole.

I certainly had the first-tee jitters in Ohio, but hit a decent tee shot. I hope I can do the same in Myrtle.

Wade everyone I played with was really good. I'm not saying that to save feelings or anything. Each and every person I played with that week played excellent golf. Heck I played a 9 hole stretch that was worse than anyone else. I was shanking balls and grounding my wedges. But I pulled it together for the matches. Trust me there will be a focus in you that you may not even know that you have. It truly is going to take your game to a level that you may not have achieved yet. I played with the low cappers and the high cappers. They all played well

I'm not so worried about first tee jitters (which I know there will be), but rather how to stop the bleeding if my swing goes wrong. As optimistic as I want to be, I find it hard to believe I'm going to play great golf the entire weekend. I've got to figure out how to quickly get back on track if I get off track.

I certainly had the first-tee jitters in Ohio, but hit a decent tee shot. I hope I can do the same in Myrtle.

Is this what you normally think about when you play, how to stop the bleeding?! If not, it shouldn't be a thought process now. You're gonna have bad stretches, everyone does. The more you try to correct it, the worse it will get.
Don't over think it, play each **** as it comes. No hero work, get back in play and take your medicine. Don't expect more out of game that week then usual.

wadesworld said:
I've got to figure out how to quickly get back on track if I get off track.

Unfortunately these two concepts contradict each other.. Limiting a number of bad holes forces you to be perfect in every hole after that. If you get it on hole 4, you put yourself under pressure for the next 14 to be perfect. You can't force golf and when you try to it definitely gets worse.

Best thing you can do is NOT limit the bad holes. Especially in match play. Bad holes happen. But accepting them and moving on is better than saying "omg there goes my one bad hole I'm allowed"...

Is this what you normally think about when you play, how to stop the bleeding?! If not, it shouldn't be a thought process now. You're gonna have bad stretches, everyone does. The more you try to correct it, the worse it will get.
Don't over think it, play each **** as it comes. No hero work, get back in play and take your medicine. Don't expect more out of game that week then usual.

Good advice Freddie. I'm a conservative player, so it's rare that I try a hero shot anyhow, but that's definitely a good point about just trying to play each shot and playing with whatever I've got.

Unfortunately these two concepts contradict each other.. Limiting a number of bad holes forces you to be perfect in every hole after that. If you get it on hole 4, you put yourself under pressure for the next 14 to be perfect. You can't force golf and when you try to it definitely gets worse.

Best thing you can do is NOT limit the bad holes. Especially in match play. Bad holes happen. But accepting them and moving on is better than saying "omg there goes my one bad hole I'm allowed"...

Well I did mean not to have successive bad holes rather than meaning limiting myself to a single bad hole. But your point is well taken as well. No matter how many bad holes I have, pressing more isn't likely to make it better.

The key is to not string a bunch of bad shots together because of poor choices. Hit the ball from where is lies and take what the course gives you. If you can scramble then that you game. If you can, then wedge is back into play and make the best score you can. A bad driven or second shots doesn't mean double or triple. It means you are now playing for par and excepting bogie.

I've walked off holes with doubles and wondered how I got there. BAD DECISIONS! Limit these and your score will reflect it.

So learn How to play outside of your comfort zone and talk with your partner. Read each others putts, club one another. Expect the unexpected from your opponent. Anything can happen on any given shot. The hole ain't over til it's over. Meaning if you think your opponent is in trouble, he may not be, play hard til you hole out. Tally them up at the end.

Last edited:

He Thain, I'm going to need you to tell me that again in Myrtle Beach, I press so hard when I make bad shots, and then my timing gets off and I rattle off 4 or 5 bad holes. GREAT advice.

The key is to not string a punch of bad shots together because of poor choices. Hit the ball from where is lies and take what the course gives you. If you can scramble then that you game. If you can, then wedge is back into play and make the best score you can. A bad driven or second shots doesn't mean double or triple. It means you are now playing for par and excepting bogie.

I've ex liked off holes with doubles and wondered how I got there. BAD DECISIONS! Limit these and your score will reflect it.

lso Lear. How to play outside of your comfort zone and talk with your partner. Read each others putts, club one another. Expect the unexpected from your opponent. Anything can happen on any given shot. The hole ain't over til it's over. Meaning if you think your opponent is in trouble, he may not be, play hard til you hole out. Tally them up at the end.

Freddie you have a plethora of golf knowledge. Man I am glad you're on Team Paradise buddy!

Played my first two 18 hole rounds of the year this past weekend on the cape. Happy where I am starting but have some serious work to put in. Shot 85 both days and left a ton of strokes out there. Not unhappy as I did some things well especially for my first time out. From 130 and in I was horrendous the first day and much better the second. Driver was hot and cold. FW and hybo was excellent. Lots of positives thus far.

Big Brown Box Bang!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367843654.987178.jpg

I browse through here occasionally and it's really cool watching the excitement grow! You MC'ers are knocking it out of the park :golf2:.
If ya ever need to learn the raw details about the equipment they are gaming, this is the thread. These guys have got to get it right so all the little things are picked through. Also golf tips galore from Freddie and the likes. Awesome job guys :clapp:

Here comes my typical Monday morning coloneling

A little Cobra sweetness at the Lambrecht house today!

image-1_zps8c17296f.jpg

image-1_zpsbfb88044.jpg

I am really liking the blue! Very good looking bomber you have there lambro

The beast came in, and looking slick. Other pics in the appropriate thread:
4-IMG_6464_zpse8766715.jpg

The black bomber in 9*. You are going to pound that thing bro

Cobra thread is hot today....

DSC01000.JPG

Tyno, the red looks amazing too!

I've been working on my first tee jitters and had a few dry runs this weekend. I'm pleased with how I am making progress. The jitters never go away but managing them has been awesome for me.

You will be fine buddy. Just peg it and rip it down the middle.

You will have 31 other players and countless volunteers all pulling for you to play well. That's one of the best parts about TMC. Everyone wants to win, but we will all be rooting for each other to play well.

That would be awesome bro. You won't regret it if you come down.

I was much easier being in one of the last groups. Just need to take a deep breath and go through your normal routine. Then walk away from the ball like you split the fairway just like you planned no matter what actually happens.

My group went of last for the first round and there were still nerves, but that is part of the fun of it.

There is nothing better than talking Morgan Cup with my team. Period.

MAN I love this stuff!!!!!

There is nothing better than talking Morgan Cup with my team. Period.

MAN I love this stuff!!!!!

not even with fellow captains? Jeez Jake hehe

I'm with you though, I love talking about this event. Guys are so excited for it, it's great to see. I know there will be a bunch of MCers at the outing, I can't wait to talk in person

not even with fellow captains? Jeez Jake hehe

I'm with you though, I love talking about this event. Guys are so excited for it, it's great to see. I know there will be a bunch of MCers at the outing, I can't wait to talk in person
Fellow captain talk is good, if only we could get one of them to reply to us it would be better!

Who wants to talk format and know some matchups?

:wavey:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back