2024 MLB Thread + Hot Stove Off Season

Also, I don’t want to be that guy, but I’ve been really polite all offseason:
Really Boston???? Can’t pony up that money???? ( or even less, his wife is here for crying out loud! )
Sorry for the interruption. Arizona needed the rotation help. This should help.
They don’t think they are a big market team.

Montgomery’s option will vest at $20MM if he makes ten starts, with an additional $2.5MM added to the option upon reaching 18 starts and 23 starts during the 2024 season.

Seeing one year for 25 mil with a player vesting option for 20 mil next year.
I’m surprised the Dodgers didn’t sign him with their flawed pitching. Seriously.

I’m surprised the Dodgers didn’t sign him with their flawed pitching. Seriously.
Funny you mention the Dodgers. For Monty he supposedly wanted to top the Nola deal. Then when that clearly wasn’t happening, he wanted Glassnow money. Which he got short of that too in terms of total money. Maybe LA can go get a SS now.

Boras did not exactly have a bang up offseason.

Funny you mention the Dodgers. For Monty he supposedly wanted to top the Nola deal. Then when that clearly wasn’t happening, he wanted Glassnow money. Which he got short of that too in terms of total money. Maybe LA can go get a SS now.

Really interesting when the big spenders can’t or won’t get involved or offer big money.

The lawyer in me thinks that we aren't getting the entire story. For Ohtani's version to be true, we all have to believe that the only source of information and communication was from Mizuhara. I just cannot believe that. Even with the language obstacle, there has to be someone else in his business circle that speaks both English and Japanese that could have raised a flag.
Also, think about this from the bookie’s perspective. If the translator is down 4.5m - and let’s assume he lost 55% of his wagers - he would have bet @10m. The bookie isn’t going to take that much action and let anyone get this deep in the whole without assurances the bettor could cover it. Something still feels off to me

Last edited:

He still got his cut and gets to do it again next time. Then again there are teams that won’t work with him, so there is that. Most of them are small market though.

In the end, there are only a handful that can do the big money long term deals. That’s going to limit things dramatically

BTW good on Arizona. They got to a WS and have put some extra money on the field. Added 45 million a year to the pitching staff(ERod 4 year 80 and now Monty). Picked up Suarez for 3B, resigned Guirriel, and Joc Pederson could be a really good quiet move. Forgot they added Grichuk too. That’s a damn solid offseason.

Also, think about this from the bookie’s perspective. If the translator is down 4.5m - and let’s assume he lost 55% of his wagers - he would have bet @10m. The bookie isn’t going to take that much anction and let anyone get this deep in the whole without assurances the bettor could cover it. Something still feels off to me
Exactly! He got staked that much making $300k to $500k a year? No chance. And even so, it’s not like the guy is gonna get sued by his illegal bookmaker. Worst case he files bankruptcy. I just don’t see how this wasn’t proxy betting.

They don’t think they are a big market team.
It makes zero sense at this point. They reset the tax. Theres no penalty for getting close to it for them now.

It makes zero sense at this point. They reset the tax. Theres no penalty for getting close to it for them now.
And they looked at trading their two big signings from last year. Yoshida and Jansen.

Theo is back in town though so…

The general consensus on MLB is that they know they are 1-2 years away, so sit back and wait and make the move when you are closer and grow some of this internal talent

He still got his cut and gets to do it again next time. Then again there are teams that won’t work with him, so there is that. Most of them are small market though.

In the end, there are only a handful that can do the big money long term deals. That’s going to limit things dramatically
There is also the hostile takeover going on within the players union where Boras is losing support and owners are pushing back on contracts. David Samson has been talking about it on his podcast for weeks now.

There is also the hostile takeover going on within the players union where Boras is losing support and owners are pushing back on contracts. David Samson has been talking about it on his podcast for weeks now.
I heard him on the last one. I’m convinced with the Dodgers spending this off season we are headed to another lockout because the haves and have nots are widening. 10x tv contracts are keeping MLB from offering a ticket for all teams

I heard him on the last one. I’m convinced with the Dodgers spending this off season we are headed to another lockout because the haves and have nots are widening. 10x tv contracts are keeping MLB from offering a ticket for all teams
Exactly. And deferring all that Ohtani money (along with others)

I almost bought an Arraez jersey today for the game Thursday, and then I thought that there is a good chance he won’t be on the team after the end of this year. Isn’t that sad?

I almost bought an Arraez jersey today for the game Thursday, and then I thought that there is a good chance he won’t be on the team after the end of this year. Isn’t that sad?
Yes. We got GG a no name on the back for that very reason

Yes. It sucks as a fan for any team. I never would by a jersey until a guy signs a second contract.

Yes. It sucks as a fan for any team. I never would by a jersey until a guy signs a second contract.
With the Marlins, it doesn’t matter. When this ownership group took over promising change from the prior fire sale regimes, they fired Mr. Marlin. How in the hell do you do that!?!?!?

I should have bought a Haniger jersey the first time. He's back in style.

Berti to the Yankees.

Berti to the Yankees.
Need a body to man 3b temporarily. DJ hurt...again. Perazza would have gotten a shot, he's down with a shoulder injury. Cabrera will probably get a bulk of the time IMO, but he's still a AAA level player IMO.

Need a body to man 3b temporarily. DJ hurt...again. Perazza would have gotten a shot, he's down with a shoulder injury. Cabrera will probably get a bulk of the time IMO, but he's still a AAA level player IMO.
Berti is good in the club house, can play just about every position and hits for average with speed. He will be good there.
Marlins get Prospects, and one from the Rays that we know Bendix is familiar with.

Berti to the Yankees.
Darn it, I like Berti. I guess the Yankees needed another infielder after all :LOL:

Back