2024 MLB Thread + Hot Stove Off Season

Darn it, I like Berti. I guess the Yankees needed another infielder after all :LOL:
This paves the way for Xavier Edwards, who might just out Berti, Berti

Dodgers lock up Will Smith for 10 years $140M

This is another reasonable deal. Here’s hoping they keep him healthy throughout the deal. Hes worth every penny imo

I wonder how much was deferred. Dodgers going to have a problem in 10 years, that's for sure.

This is another reasonable deal. Here’s hoping they keep him healthy throughout the deal. Hes worth every penny imo
It is until you realize that you have a relief pitcher with guaranteed money for a decade and most dont last that long and most likely even longer, when some of it is deferred. But its fake money for them. Already at what? 1.3 Billion plus this off season?

It is until you realize that you have a relief pitcher with guaranteed money for a decade and most dont last that long and most likely even longer, when some of it is deferred. But its fake money for them. Already at what? 1.3 Billion plus this off season?
The catcher will smith thankfully

The catcher will smith thankfully
I meant catcher, haha. A decade on those knees? Thats a lot of payment, despite the average annual actually being good.

I meant catcher, haha. A decade on those knees? Thats a lot of payment, despite the average annual actually being good.
That was my only concern. As a catcher he’s a tremendous hitter. Hoping they have plans to play him more in left field DH to help protect the knees.

It’s such a small annual value though, that he will easily be trade able as a left fielder DH type later on to a “have not”team where his .350 obp will be an upgrade.

That was my only concern. As a catcher he’s a tremendous hitter. Hoping they have plans to play him more in left field DH to help protect the knees.

It’s such a small annual value though, that he will easily be trade able as a left fielder DH type later on to a “have not”team where his .350 obp will be an upgrade.
Depends how much of that money is deferred, but probably so.

Depends how much of that money is deferred, but probably so.
If they are smart they play this one straight up

If they are smart they play this one straight up
Reports already reference that the deal includes deferred money. I look back to players like Justin Morneau, Buster Posey and mike Piazza just to name a few. All attempted shifts to 1st base in later years because of their hitting. Worked for Morneau best, but I just don't see paying a catcher for that long to be sound business. Yadier Molina may be the high watermark.

10 years for a 28-year-old catcher is rough. No way is Will Smith playable at year 6 or 7 of the contract let alone when he is 38.

No sir. Reports are that money is deferred.
Ouch. Thats gonna hurt even worse. Sounds like ownership plans to sell in 5 years at this rate

BTW good on Arizona. They got to a WS and have put some extra money on the field. Added 45 million a year to the pitching staff(ERod 4 year 80 and now Monty). Picked up Suarez for 3B, resigned Guirriel, and Joc Pederson could be a really good quiet move. Forgot they added Grichuk too. That’s a damn solid offseason.
Signing Montgomery was such an un-Ken Kendrick like move that I thought it was merely a Twitter/X rumor. AZ's starting rotation is looking better by the day.

10 years for a 28-year-old catcher is rough. No way is Will Smith playable at year 6 or 7 of the contract let alone when he is 38.
He’s a pure hitter so he will have value somewhere. Just not at elite catcher money.

Signing Montgomery was such an un-Ken Kendrick like move that I thought it was merely a Twitter/X rumor. AZ's starting rotation is looking better by the day.
hope it works better than MadBum

• Haha
Reactions: Bus
No way he stays a C. Freeman has 3 more years after this season and Smith will probably replace him at 1st. Freddie will be 38 then and Smith only 33 (turns 29 tomorrow) that year. That would be my guess as their plan.

Contract is a sweet birthday present.

No way he stays a C. Freeman has 3 more years after this season and Smith will probably replace him at 1st. Freddie will be 38 then and Smith only 33 (turns 29 tomorrow) that year. That would be my guess as their plan.

Contract is a sweet birthday present.
This makes sense. I like Will Smith but don't think of him as a great hitter off of Catcher. But maybe that is different if he moves.

Back