2024 TaylorMade TP5 and TP5x Golf Balls

Great stuff @ddec . It's been a while since I have played a TM ball, need to give the TP5 a go.

Great write up @ddec

I plan on getting some to test because historically the TP’s have reaaaaaaaaalllllyyyyyy struggled greenside for me.

Great write up @ddec

I plan on getting some to test because historically the TP’s have reaaaaaaaaalllllyyyyyy struggled greenside for me.
I liked the 2019 TP5, the 2021 just didn't really stand out for me.

Nice Write up @ddec

Seems strange that this is not on the TM website:
Located on every TP5 golf ball box’s cover is a QR code that leads to a ball recommendation tool. Answer twelve relevant questions and TaylorMade will suggest the TP5 golf ball that best matches your playing style.

I believe it just takes you to this page

It's very basic
it's what was talked about. So hopefully that comes to fruition because they were very clean on the QR code and the 12 question part. Oh well.

I liked the 2019 TP5, the 2021 just didn't really stand out for me.
I did well with both when I was higher spin, but that changed, and so too did my golf ball type of choice haha

I’m curious to see these next to the Bridgestone’s and Callaway’s for greenside action.

I was saying the same thing to my wife.

When their driver distance starts at long do I just not play those balls at all?

I think the write up is great and I really like the technology in them. I like the softer sound which I think most people do but that longer distance would always be nice.

Glad I wasn’t alone. So, if you were going to try one, what would it be?

I'll probably give the TP5 a try at some point this year. The last version just did not work for me at all, either one. Much shorter than any other ball on all clubs for me. Was fine around and on the green, just couldn't give up 1/2 to a full club of distance everywhere else.

it's what was talked about. So hopefully that comes to fruition because they were very clean on the QR code and the 12 question part. Oh well.
I’m sure it will. That link was just the only thing I found on TM website today. I don’t have a retail box to try. The QR code I have on my box just takes you to the feedback site

Nice!

I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed the PIX clearpath alignment. I'm not one for liking lines on golf balls I feel like it messes with my eyes and I have a lot of trouble lining them up. I didn't run into that with the clearpath alignment. Maybe because it's essentially a larger blank space that I'm setting to my intended line but whatever it is I like it and now that I'm becoming a decent putter watching it roll end over end and disappear into the hole is VERY SATISFYING.

Bonus is TM makes some of the coolest special editions out there so maybe now I jump head-first into that collection obsession in 2024. :ROFLMAO:
Theirs doesn't bother me as much either. Because oriented it does what it's supposed to and when it's off on other shots it's varied enough that my brain can just tell itself that it's random. Which keeps it from being a distraction.

I did well with both when I was higher spin, but that changed, and so too did my golf ball type of choice haha

I’m curious to see these next to the Bridgestone’s and Callaway’s for greenside action.
@That post did a test earlier in the thread and it was much lower spinning greenside than a couple of others.

Nice!

I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed the PIX clearpath alignment. I'm not one for liking lines on golf balls I feel like it messes with my eyes and I have a lot of trouble lining them up. I didn't run into that with the clearpath alignment. Maybe because it's essentially a larger blank space that I'm setting to my intended line but whatever it is I like it and now that I'm becoming a decent putter watching it roll end over end and disappear into the hole is VERY SATISFYING.

Bonus is TM makes some of the coolest special editions out there so maybe now I jump head-first into that collection obsession in 2024. :ROFLMAO:
I prefer the Pix ball to the Truvis, becuase I like the function of the CP when putting. But I went away from it because I found a ball that was a better fit.

Great write-up! I find the chart interesting as the TP5 and TP5x characteristics appear to be different than past models (TP5 launching higher than x with higher spin than x on driver). I wonder if the difference in feel will be noticeable.

Tp5 between the two but I don’t know if I really fit into the profile. But if I had to choose.

This is kind of where I landed too, but I wasn’t sure either.

Rory is really touting the TP5x said he "picked up 7-8 yards or half a club more in his irons, more ball speed, & soft feel around the greens."
Hits his 8 iron around 175 yards .... another 8 yards on that? Holy Crap!

Thanks for the write up. I tested these last month and love them. As good as any of the other new balls.

TaylorMade has believed that the TP5/TP5x golf ball is the most complete golf ball on the market since its introduction in 2017. The company has traditionally released an updated version of this line every two years, each with some improvements. In 2019, the Speed-Layer system was brought to the masses to boost speed, and in 2021, a new Tour Flight Dimple pattern was added to improve aerodynamics and performance in windy conditions. With three years since the last version, TaylorMade has been working to ensure that the 2024 iteration will be the most significant update yet. Today, the wait is finally over as TaylorMade unveils their newest TP5 and TP5x golf balls.

Continue reading...
Good article @ddec!! The TP5X was my gamer prior to moving to the CSX-LS. Interesting to read the changes and may grab a sleeve to see how it compares against the chrome tour

Rory is really touting the TP5x said he "picked up 7-8 yards or half a club more in his irons, more ball speed, & soft feel around the greens."
Hits his 8 iron around 175 yards .... another 8 yards on that? Holy Crap!
Its interesting because Rory is also for rolling the ball back and said he would be switching to the model local rule golf ball if it was determined to be the way, moving forward to prepare for majors.

Its interesting because Rory is also for rolling the ball back and said he would be switching to the model local rule golf ball if it was determined to be the way, moving forward to prepare for majors.

I thought of that too. He has been a big proponent of that since it's inception. It won't matter to him anyway with his club head speed.

I prefer the Pix ball to the Truvis, becuase I like the function of the CP when putting. But I went away from it because I found a ball that was a better fit.
That’s a tough comparison though isn’t it since truvis (original, not the new TruTrack) was never meant as an alignment aid.

The new diamond alignment for Pix makes sense from their explanation. Though it seems overall, a harder way to line up now that you align by colors on half a diamond instead of the bottom of the triangles. Mentally, it gives way more opportunity to second guess yourself now.

That’s a tough comparison though isn’t it since truvis (original, not the new TruTrack) was never meant as an alignment aid.
correct it was not. I was never a fan of how truvis looked in the air(which sounds funny I get it). Just a style that for me added very little. With the Pix, at least there was something there that I could use and at the time I liked using it to line up better than Triple Track. I ended up getting away using those types of alignments because I start to second guess myself a lot. Now if I play TT, I do it becuase normally nobody else in my group does.

Great write up! Exactly the info I needed. Three boxes of the 21 TP5 left to start the year. Would have liked a yellow Pic like the new Chrome yellow.

@That post did a test earlier in the thread and it was much lower spinning greenside than a couple of others.
Yep it’s over in the BX thread if anyone is interested. Personally, I kinda liked the higher launch but knocked down spin of the 5x on those 50y shots I posted this morning.

When it comes to close chips my preference is to land soft, hop, then come to a stop. Instead of backing them up. So the lower spin window was nice.

Yep it’s over in the BX thread if anyone is interested. Personally, I kinda liked the higher launch but knocked down spin of the 5x on those 50y shots I posted this morning.

When it comes to close chips my preference is to land soft, hop, then come to a stop. Instead of backing them up. So the lower spin window was nice.
It was over 1000 rpms lower on 50 y shot if I remember correctly.
I have only tested these balls briefly, but I am also seeing much lower spin greenside than some others.

Back