2024 TaylorMade TP5 and TP5x Golf Balls

It was over 1000 rpms lower on 50 y shot if I remember correctly.
I have only tested these balls briefly, but I am also seeing much lower spin greenside than some others.
It did average right around 6300-6500 whereas the CT and BX were around 7000-7300.

As I mentioned over in that thread I feel like my wedge’s especially partial are very rusty from not playing so big variations could definitely be strike related.

I’m hoping to head back over there this Monday to try and verify what I saw with all of these balls the first time.

I’ll be posting that data up again in the Bx thread for anyone interested.

It was over 1000 rpms lower on 50 y shot if I remember correctly.
I have only tested these balls briefly, but I am also seeing much lower spin greenside than some others.
I've tested them pretty extensively on that type of shot and am not seeing that kind of 1k spin separation with the other new offerings. Will always be player dependant, but I haven't seen that kind of extreme.

It did average right around 6300-6500 whereas the CT and BX were around 7000-7300.

As I mentioned over in that thread I feel like my wedge’s especially partial are very rusty from not playing so big variations could definitely be strike related.

I’m hoping to head back over there this Monday to try and verify what I saw with all of these balls the first time.

I’ll be posting that data up again in the Bx thread for anyone interested.
Thanks for sharing your feedback.

I've tested them pretty extensively on that type of shot and am not seeing that kind of 1k spin separation with the other new offerings. Will always be player dependant, but I haven't seen that kind of extreme.
Yeah, I’m definitely curious to get back out there to the Sim on Monday. I know on some of my full iron shots there were some pretty big disparities and strike quality had a lot to do with it, so I definitely think some of the stuff in my data is colored by how rusty my game is right now. And the general mid handicap levelness of it all. 🙂

I feel like it’s going to take multiple visits to verify data and find the absolute best ball for me for 2024. But all that sounds really fun and I’m gonna love doing it

Yeah, I’m definitely curious to get back out there to the Sim on Monday. I know on some of my full iron shots there were some pretty big disparities and strike quality had a lot to do with it, so I definitely think some of the stuff in my data is colored by how rusty my game is right now. And the general mid handicap levelness of it all. 🙂

I feel like it’s going to take multiple visits to verify data and find the absolute best ball for me for 2024. But all that sounds really fun and I’m gonna love doing it

Eh we're all rusty. It's February. Anyone already dialed in is going to burn out or get hurt probably. Lol

1000057408.jpg

This was the 50y test for me on monitor. Course is always a little different than indoors, but I think I was pretty honest about them on all that in my video.

$100M investment in the ball category is definitely noteworthy! I’d be interested in seeing how the new TP5 compares to the previous version.

$100M investment in the ball category is definitely noteworthy! I’d be interested in seeing how the new TP5 compares to the previous version.
A big portion of that went into buying S. Korean factory.

Played the ‘21 TP5x late last year and they suited my game well. Longer and straighter than the QStar Tour and Bridgestone e12. The ‘21s also feel better than my current favorite, the AVX. I may give the 2024 TP5x a long audition.

Nice writeup @ddec. $100,000,000 is a huge investment. And kudos to TM for cross marketing their irons in the golf ball tech explanation.

A big portion of that went into buying S. Korean factory.
Ah, I was hoping you might have some interesting details/tidbits on that. Thanks for adding that!

Reactions: JB
very curious to try these...big taylormade fan, and it seems like every company has been stepping up their golf balls lately

The chrome tour x is so good I’ll be interested which TM ball stacks up against it.

Got my 2024 Pix order in this morning and hitting some putts on the mat. I slowed this one down to get a good illustration of how the “Clearpath” tech works.

20240220_204435.jpg

Forgot this was only discussed in the thread before the thread because they did it before embargo date, but this was Mike from TXG's results with the TP5x on 50y, PW, and 7i.

And with driver.

20240220_204748.jpg

View attachment 9243789

Forgot this was only discussed in the thread before the thread because they did it before embargo date, but this was Mike from TXG's results with the TP5x on 50y, PW, and 7i.

And with driver.

View attachment 9243790
It's interesting to me that his PW and iron ball speeds were faster in comparison but not driver. In my testing, I saw the biggest separation in speed with irons (around 2mph) but it was also the fastest with driver (less than 1mph). I do remember him living on the heel in that vid and it looks like the 5x was furthest in. Wonder if that's the difference.

It's interesting to me that his PW and iron ball speeds were faster in comparison but not driver. In my testing, I saw the biggest separation in speed with irons (around 2mph) but it was also the fastest with driver (less than 1mph). I do remember him living on the heel in that vid and it looks like the 5x was furthest in. Wonder if that's the difference.
Yeah wasn't his best sample with driver but none of us are perfect.

I still find the sound and feel takes between them interesting. Mikey with a good separation on perceiving them, and I think that's going to be an increasingly important skill as tech moves forward and materials and processes continue to change traditional feedback.

Yeah wasn't his best sample with driver but none of us are perfect.

I still find the sound and feel takes between them interesting. Mikey with a good separation on perceiving them, and I think that's going to be an increasingly important skill as tech moves forward and materials and processes continue to change traditional feedback.
Agree. It was the very first thing I picked up on when testing myself as well. The 5x has a very unique feel and sound profile this year. It is definitely more pronounced indoors than it is outdoors but I think it's going to be polarizing for some. I like it off irons, not crazy about it off wedges, off putter feels good, and the feel and sound off driver is phenomenal.

So--full disclaimer here--I am not an official tester of the TP balls for THP---However as mentioned, i did come into possession of a 2024 TP5 via nefarious, potentially even criminal means.

So far my iron testing has been quite good with the TP5, which oddly i find is the higher launching and spinning ball of the TP family (kinda the inverse of the other guys). But as i've learned....i'm not sure how much i will really see differences on like, 5 and 7 irons. That being said, it is 1-2yds longer for me on average than most other balls, especially the 2023 collection. But i can't really put my finger on why , as spin and launch are about the same as others

Now, if you have followed my ball reviews, you will recall that while i can strike the ball as pure as the day is long--i struggle to elevate longer clubs like driving irons and 3-woods, resulting in a hilarious 11-12 degree launch angle on occasion with 3 woods. You may also recall that in my testing , the Chrome Tour X has been a revelation for me in this department, and i've seen 7-10 yard gains in peak distance with my 3 wood due to 1-1.5 degree better launch on well struck balls

Now, much like in Rocky 3....has the CTx been beating formidable opponents? Or carefully selected 2023 patsies to continue it's reign as champion? I had never put it head to head with the TP5. And after several press conferences where the TP5 showed up and said "hey woman, why don't you come to my apartment later and spent the night with a real ball" .....i finally caved and gave it it's title bout

So.....today i hit 50 balls each with 3-wood. TP5 versus CTx in a mano a mano showdown. I discarded some poor swings (note, making 100 3-wood swings in a row generally results in a few bad ones). So i had to tabulate the results a little manually......but MAN, the TP5 held it's own!!!!

ADMITTEDLY----My best swings of the day were with the TP5---i know this. And this skewed the numbers a bit. But i still averaged a bit better launch and distance

TP5 came in at ~ 257 average total distance, 12.9 degrees launch and 2300rpm
CTx came in at ~ 255 average, 12.8 launch and 2400 rpm

My 3 longest hits of the day were with the Tp5 ---all of them >270 but not as long as the 277 bomb i hit with the CTx the other day.

I do think that the balls are about the same. I definitely made my best swings today with the TP5.

That being said, the CTx was the best ball i tested in 2024 so far for my game . So that is still saying something

Anyone get a postcard from Taylormade for a 4 ball sample pack at DSG or GG?

Just got an email from update on those reward member sample packs:

Thank you for submitting your address to try the all-new TP5/TP5x golf ball.​
We are currently processing your submission. You can expect to receive an email update when we ship to valid submissions around the end of February.​
Thank you for being a valuable TaylorMade customer!​

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Just got an email from update on those reward member sample packs:

Thank you for submitting your address to try the all-new TP5/TP5x golf ball.​
We are currently processing your submission. You can expect to receive an email update when we ship to valid submissions around the end of February.​
Thank you for being a valuable TaylorMade customer!​
Same here!

Kinda headscratching in the marketing being done by TM on the ball samples. If people are buying TP5/x balls, they're already a customer. Would you not want to try and convert someone with a sample in order to take away from another company's market share?

I find that just a bit odd.

Kinda headscratching in the marketing being done by TM on the ball samples. If people are buying TP5/x balls, they're already a customer. Would you not want to try and convert someone with a sample in order to take away from another company's market share?

I find that just a bit odd.
Yeah, it is a little bit weird.

I played the 5x today and it did everything I could have asked of it. Long and straight off the tee. Was good off irons when I wasn't making hosel contact and spun well with the wedges.

Anyone get a postcard from Taylormade for a 4 ball sample pack at DSG or GG?

I received mine in the mail today. Upon reading the small print that mentioned "limited supplies" and "until they run out," I immediately hopped in the car, drove to Golf Galaxy, and was given four free 2024 TP5 balls!

They said I was the first person to get the deal. :cool:

Back