Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

Wow smallville. I love it. Great stuff keep it coming! That is great!

Nice videos, Smallie! Northwesterns, huh? I still have my 7 iron in my office since it's my very first club purchase. Good stuff and have fun at the course and range tomorrow.

Great job Smallie, love the in-depth views of the clubs, especially at address. Good luck out there tomorrow.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Man between this thread and the Scor thread there is a ton of great posts. KB love the flip flops. Your chipping looked fantastic! Was it the last ball that hit the pin? Looked like that was your best shot

Smalls, just finished watching your videos, great stuff man. Your voice is very deep and your bag full is full of very nice Adams irons and hybrids.

Smallville- I appreciate you comparing the looks of the A12OS to your HB3. the short irons in the A12OS have the look of a regular cavity back instead of a hybrid. Can't wait to read your assessment once you hit those short irons.

Last edited:
Hongman! I did hit a punch 7i out of some nasty stuff at Grand Cypress. I put the ball back in my stance and let it go. I needed to lay up after a horrendous drive and the punch shot was a breeze to perform. It went straight and low.

Hi Yoccos and Kellybo.... glad to hear that Adams has designed shot versatility into this new and intriguing set of clubs, 'cause from where I need to hit from at times, Straight/High & long, sometimes isn't what I need!!

Some of the distance gains testers are experiencing has me thinking I may have to give these clubs a test drive sooner than later! One of my buddies has been gaming a new set of Adams hybrids, and he is just crushing them... straight too!

Just for fun, I think someone needs to hit into a fairway bunker or trap, and see how the various clubs perform in dah beach!

I am really enjoying this thread and everyone, keep up the great work..!!

As promised here is a video and some pics of the new Adams a12 os irons and hybrids that arrived at my house today. I tried to do the "traditional" unboxing video, but my dog seemed to think the big box and the plastic were her playtoys...so that didn't really work. So here is the next best thing.

[YOUTUBEHD]YSBpbaIAVSg[/YOUTUBEHD]

Here are some still photos for those of you that can't do video

Full set laid out in order from right to left

VID00285.jpg

The Irons 7-GW

VID00284.jpg

Prolaunch Blue Graphite shafts in all clubs

VID00283.jpg

As compared to my TM R7 Draw 7 iron
VID00281.jpg

Soles of 7 irons

VID00280.jpg

My first impression of these clubs is that they are great looking, I don't notice the OS appearance at all at address. I love the ProLaunch Blue Shafts and they have a nice feeling tour velvet style grip on them. They feel lighter than my R7's even though they have graphite shafts in them as well.

I'll save the rest of my opinions on these until I can get them on the range tomorrow evening. I'll be sure to shoot some video from there as well.

Once again...thanks to THP and to Adams Golf for this incredible opportunity!

Last edited:
Hi Yoccos and Kellybo.... glad to hear that Adams has designed shot versatility into this new and intriguing set of clubs, 'cause from where I need to hit from at times, Straight/High & long, sometimes isn't what I need!!

Some of the distance gains testers are experiencing has me thinking I may have to give these clubs a test drive sooner than later! One of my buddies has been gaming a new set of Adams hybrids, and he is just crushing them... straight too!

Just for fun, I think someone needs to hit into a fairway bunker or trap, and see how the various clubs perform in dah beach!

I am really enjoying this thread and everyone, keep up the great work..!!

It wasn't just for fun, but Tuesday I was in a fairway bunker and 129 out, I choked down a little too much on an eight iron and came up about 4 yards short of the green, I had no trouble making contact with the ball 1st and it was a solid shot, just slightly short, I would take that anyday out of a fw bunker.

Excellent job Smallie and TBT, enjoyed both of your initial reports, keep up the good work guys.

Man between this thread and the Scor thread there is a ton of great posts. KB love the flip flops. Your chipping looked fantastic! Was it the last ball that hit the pin? Looked like that was your best shot

Thanks Chunky. I sneak out and chip in my flip flops pretty often. It helps keep the golfer tan on my feet from getting too bad. LOL Yep, the last chip from the hard pan actually hit the pin and I thought it was going in.

Even with the thicker topline that I don't normally like, this set looks very nice from the pics and videos you guys have posted so far.

Great job on the reviews so far guys, you're really getting some nice ideas down! :D

I've skimmed a little so don't know if anyone has asked it yet, but is anyone having difficulty with the slot on the top of the hybrid? Does it put you off at all?

Even with the thicker topline that I don't normally like, this set looks very nice from the pics and videos you guys have posted so far.

Great job on the reviews so far guys, you're really getting some nice ideas down! :D

I've skimmed a little so don't know if anyone has asked it yet, but is anyone having difficulty with the slot on the top of the hybrid? Does it put you off at all?

Truthfully paulo, I don't even notice it. I am one who totally focuses on the ball, I am oblivious to the slot, the thicker top lines on the irons and man I don't even notice the white on my R-11 driver. I think people who are distracted by things like that simply need to focus just a little more on the shot at hand and the ball. IMO

Did you see the video made by Adams that I posted earlier in this thread? It explains it pretty well.
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...view-Thread-Forum-Testing&p=882923#post882923

Thanks for re-posting that Kelly. Makes sense to me!

Great info today everyone, I'm really enjoying all the updates from everyone.

Agreed.

I really like the looks of the irons. Adams did a great job of making these irons attractive to the eye. The hybrids look better to me than previous versions of the OS series as well.

The Adam's a12 OS iron's that I've been given the task of reviewing made their arrival to Nebraska yesterday afternoon and before I go any farther I really should send a big thanks out to my UPS man in case he checks this post. Sorry to scare you dude, lol, I waited patiently by the door as he rooted around inside and I guess it scared him when he finally spotted me. To get started here, I did take a few unboxing pic's, but everyone has seen plenty of those, so we shall get on down the road starting with a little info about myself followed by a few pictures and then video's from the range and my first 9 hole round.

You could pretty much call me the standard Hacker, at 52 years old I try to play at least 2 or more times per week and hit the range about the same. My last Ghin hc has me at 7.2 and while I'm anything but a long hitter, I consider myself pretty solid with the short game. The courses we play around here are pretty rough to the most part with a lot of thin lies, the greens are pretty mid speed and most slope back to front, pretty standard design. I've played golf since like 12 years old, but gave the game up during my mid years, picking it back up about three years ago, not long before joining THP. Over the last year I've played Nickent 4DX Pro iron's and that's kind of the theme of the iron's I've played in the past, but my goal this year was to move towards much more forgiving iron's and this testing should be a real eye opener to me in that quest.

I can certainly attest to the beauty of these iron's. I think Adam's really have a winner here in the style department.
005.jpg

003.jpg
[/IMG]

From the pictures above you can notice the heel and toe weighting that should translate into a lot more forgiving mishits and just a solid feel through impact. Below you can see a comparison of my Nickent 7i vs an Adam's 7i both topline and head size. There's a ton of difference size wise and that worried me going in, but I can attest after yesterdays round that by the second hole I forgot all about it.

008.jpg
[/IMG]

007.jpg
[/IMG]

As several have pointed out the cavity back on these transition smaller as they move away from the hybrid heads, but the solid heel/toe weighting remains to give off a very "Full" feel through the swing allowing you to know exactly what the head is doing throughout the swing. I would say the feel/sound off the iron's are a bit muted, in a good way.

At this point I will save the rest for my next post where I'll show video's from the range and then from my 9 hole round and explain what I though along with how these performed overall.

Nice pics and write up duey, looking forward to reading your thoughts and seeing the vids. Good job buddy.

TBT and Due great pictures fellas!!!!!

I agree Due, you dont even notice the size after a few shots and without me comparing them, they didnt look any bigger than what I was used too.

I do have one request and hopefully this isnt too much, can we all put what shafts we have in what in our sigs? I have all graphite and I know others have that as well as mixed sets, I think it would just be easier as the testing progresses. It's a pretty unique aspect IMO.

I just wanted to note how great the testers are doing in this thread!

This is going to a be an example thread for future testing on THP. Way to go testers and I am loving the results everybody is getting.

I love catching up on this one in the morning.

TBT and Duey, very nice fellas, I can;t wait for lots of thoughts from you both!

KB, thank you for that, I'd read articles about it but hadn't seen that yet. Thanks!!

Yesterday was anything but a nice day outside with temps barely over 50*, overcast and wind close to 20 mph with gusts over 30, but I honestly had a blast out there testing the new Adams a12 OS irons. Between the cooler temps, wind and the extra clothes I'm not sure I was seeing the same distances I might see later in the week when the temps rebound back up, but it gave me a good sense of how these clubs handle the wind and turf, not to mention the sound, weight, trajectory and overall feel. We'll get started here with a few of these and possibly an extra section dubbed "Intangibles".

Looks: Starting with the iron's there was little doubt that they would be large, they are after all OS, or over sized and some people are turned off by that. I myself expected thought they would tend to look clunky, but in hand that's just not the case. They give off a solid, well proportioned look to me that exudes confidence. IMHO, they are a bit busy with the black/red coloring along with all the design elements and name badges inside the cavity. There's a lot of little cuts and steps around the cavity and Adam's looks like they highlighted every single one of these, even the weighted sections of the heel/toe area's are sectioned off to stand out. As far as the offset, it's there but once I get over the ball it disappears to my eye.

011.jpg
[/IMG]

Hybrids: Same general color scheme as the iron's and same tendency to highlight everything possible, so again just a bit busy, though I do like the red/black coloring. Standing over the ball I really like the way these set up to the ball as the top line looks pretty seamless and I don't even notice the velocity slots. One thing I'm not a fan of at all is the two cutout area's above the red and besides the Idea name badge. It looks like a milled area and that part really catches the mud. All the edges on these area's are very sharp making it tough to clean as you may notice in the pictures.

Overall looks rating: 7.5 of 10

015.jpg
[/IMG]

Feel: I'll lump both the iron's and full hybrids into this category as I was a bit surprised in how closely they irons felt through a shot to the hybrids and that's with steel shafts in the iron's. Even turf interaction seemed almost identical. I can't really explain why, but I was taking only slightly less of a divot with these hybrids. I believe it's to do with the weighting and gotta say I like it. They are a tad heavier (head heavy) than I'm used to, but it turns out to be just what I needed. The steel and graphite shafts all felt very solid without being too stiff which tell's me they have these balanced out well making the swing weight perfect for my game. Stable, fluid and crisp are the words that come to mind. The ball rockets off the face with a some what muted thunk, yet I could easily tell each time I reached out to the toe or back in close to heel.

Overall feel rating: 10 of 10

Trajectory/Distance: These are high fliers. You will notice in my video that the range I started on has very little grass right now while seeding. I'm a picker and unlike a few others it was very tough for me to keep the ball down. I worked pretty hard on pulling off a knockdown shot and while it's possible it still end's up higher for me than my old set. However, these really do penetrate well. I was hitting range ball's into a crossing wind that was slightly at me and the longer iron's and hybrids had very little drift from the wind. I did see a couple balls balloon when playing directly into the wind, but that was pretty rare. I found the distances about the same in the 8 thru GW clubs, but at least 1 to 1 1/2 club increase in distance with everything moving up through the longer clubs. I did see a couple of gaps, but a little testing this AM has me re-thinking if the wind wasn't effecting those shots, so time will tell. Possibly my only feel complaint and it really isn't a complaint is that these are a tad heavier as mentioned and at 52 with a bit of arthritis in my hands the steel might not be a long term option.

Have I mentioned straight? While my tendency is a cut off the driver and a draw with everything else, these were straight as a string 9 times out of 10. That might just have been my swing yesterday, so again, time will tell. These clubs CAN be turned either right or left on command. On the first hole I did slice one which was user error and it got behind a few trees. I pulled out the gap wedge and put the prettiest draw ever on that ball landing almost pin high going over and around the trees. Watch for the video of that one.

Trajectory/Feel rating: 9

Here's some video of my range session. I'm not exactly used to being on video, but as time went on it really did get fun. Bear with the first few, lol. Also, notice the hacker swing, what the heck its working for me. I do have a few video's from my actual round and will share those a little latter.

Spoiler
[YOUTUBE]HdyYAJl2848[/YOUTUBE]

Spoiler
[YOUTUBE]kcKJ_kCrHGY[/YOUTUBE]

Spoiler
[YOUTUBE]KxFLA3l5YWo[/YOUTUBE]

Overall clubs rating (So far): This is pretty tough and while I want to give them a 10 I've not had them long enough to be that sure. Playing them yesterday was a little tough only because of the distances. But, in 9 holes I never topped or chunked a single ball. I sliced two on the round and only one of those put me far enough right to be in trouble and that one was the one where I hit a sweet draw over and around some tree's, so that's all good. I say 9 at this point for my game.

Thanks all, these have been a blast to test. Not sure if I'll be able to get out again today with the rain moving in and still under 50*, but holding out hope.

TBT and Due great pictures fellas!!!!!

I agree Due, you dont even notice the size after a few shots and without me comparing them, they didnt look any bigger than what I was used too.

I do have one request and hopefully this isnt too much, can we all put what shafts we have in what in our sigs? I have all graphite and I know others have that as well as mixed sets, I think it would just be easier as the testing progresses. It's a pretty unique aspect IMO.

Good call buddy, will get on it. I do have the mixed set with steel in the irons, True-Temper Performance 85 regular flex. The hybrids are the ProLaunch Blue 65 S

Wow Duey! That is an unbelievable review. One of the best I have seen to be honest. This thread has been full of nothing but phenomenal reviews so far and if selected for a club/irons to test I will be referring to this thread for sure! Keep up the good work everyone.

Great review Jeff, uhhh I mean Duey! I really enjoyed the videos a lot and I'm glad you are seeing such positive results.

Thanks all, these have been a blast to test. Not sure if I'll be able to get out again today with the rain moving in and still under 50*, but holding out hope.

Good call buddy, will get on it. I do have the mixed set with steel in the irons, True-Temper Performance 85 regular flex. The hybrids are the ProLaunch Blue 65 S

Great review Due! It really sounds like these had a good first round. I'm excited to see how your scores do with a different type of iron in your hand.

I just wanted to note how great the testers are doing in this thread!

This is going to a be an example thread for future testing on THP. Way to go testers and I am loving the results everybody is getting.

dmb -- You could have not said it better good buddy! These folks are bringing the goods for THP & Adams golf. Hard work = Great results and these testers are stepping up to the plate!

I'll be honest, after reading this thread, I kind of want to hit these, especially the hybrids. More so b/c I'm interested in that velocity slot.

Back