Another new Cally driver? Discuss!

sleuth

Reaction score
Handicap
3.3 GHIN
I'm sure that THP will have all the news about a potential new release when the time is right.

I'm sure that THP will have all the news about a potential new release when the time is right.

Werd. Still fun to speculate. How far we've come even the past couple years. We can now manually adjust CG, awesome.

Exciting stuff. Silly Phil probably has those boys in Carlsbad scrambling today.

Manually adjusting CG would be quite easy with a slider moving closer and further from the face.

I have discovered that too many options is not good for me, has me always 2nd guessing, weights, open/closed, loft, etc.

Werd. Still fun to speculate. How far we've come even the past couple years. We can now manually adjust CG, awesome.

My swing does all the adjusting of CG that I can handle. I can never predict where it is now!

Sounds cool. Maybe some type of screw in the bottom with a weight inside that moves up and down as you rotate it, or something.

While I hadn't heard anything other than the references to Phil's comments this morning, I kind of figured there was another release coming as a new model to replace the Razr Fit Xtreme (lower spin, more workability). Even figured it was more likely with the X2Hot Pro only being available in a 8.5 deg loft.

I believe it was discussed when Phil started using the SLDR. They were okay with it because their driver wasn't ready.

its the big betha there fetching it back net year January will be more info
You sound confident.

If true I'm all on board. They would be tugging at my heart strings because I grew up and loved the Big, Great Big, and Biggest Big Bertha driver/woods.

Yep, he let the cat out of the bag a bit and you could tell when he kind of smirked before he came out with it. So much adjustability = advantage us!

Interesting clip...he doesn't let it slip until right at the end of the clip but says "We now have the ability in our new driver to raise and lower the center of gravity...allowing us to increase or decrease the balls RPM's by 600 to 800."

When I hear this it makes me think of a sort of SLDR type of set up, but more front to back down the center, not side to side across the face. Makes me think sort of a continued screw weighting tech we currently see, plus a weighted sliding set up down the middle of the sole of the club, from heal to face. Interesting!

There will be so much misinformation out early about this driver (there already is).

I'm a little confused by the title. "Another". What company does not have 2 driver lines they launch in a year? Heck I think most launch more.

There will be so much misinformation out early about this driver (there already is).

I'm a little confused by the title. "Another". What company does not have 2 driver lines they launch in a year? Heck I think most launch more.
Perhaps a misconception but these drivers seem to be coming out at a quarterly rate. You may disagree but I'm one of the consumers that's kind of scratching my head, again!?

Perhaps a misconception but these drivers seem to be coming out at a quarterly rate. You may disagree but I'm one of the consumers that's kind of scratching my head, again!?

What quarterly rate? Has Callaway announced another driver?
RFE - November 2012
XHot - January
Optiforce - July
XHot 2 - December/January
Next Driver - January

Seems to me that they are still releasing 2 lines per year. Sure Optiforce came out in the middle of the year, but I have just never understood the idea of more equipment being a bad idea. Does anybody complain about Mizuno releasing 16 iron sets in 2 years or Ping putting out 12 lines during a 24 month stretch? It seems Callaway and TaylorMade get killed over it.

At this time of year companies are ALL going to be talking about new gear. Because December and January are sunbelt release time and that is followed by the PGA SHow and then national releases. And FWIW, Callaway did not release anything. Nothing new is available in stores of either of the 2 lines as of yet.

In the end, more equipment, means more choices, means lower prices and the list goes on.

More options are never a bad thing.

Arydolphin referenced this earlier today on twitter. I thought out loud that maybe it was a deeper weighting port with the ability to screw the weight up/down vertically into the head to adjust CG. I would love for the Big Bertha name to come back as it was my favorite driver for quite some time (I gave the biggest big to my friend and he is still gaming it!), although I have a feeling the PC/sensitivity police would be offended by the name "Big Bertha" these days. In any case, I'm all ears!

Never understood the anxiety that comes from companies releasing a ton of gear throughout the year. How is that bad?

What quarterly rate? Has Callaway announced another driver?
RFE - November 2012
XHot - January
Optiforce - July
XHot 2 - December/January
Next Driver - January

Seems to me that they are still releasing 2 lines per year. Sure Optiforce came out in the middle of the year, but I have just never understood the idea of more equipment being a bad idea. Does anybody complain about Mizuno releasing 16 iron sets in 2 years or Ping putting out 12 lines during a 24 month stretch? It seems Callaway and TaylorMade get killed over it.

At this time of year companies are ALL going to be talking about new gear. Because December and January are sunbelt release time and that is followed by the PGA SHow and then national releases. And FWIW, Callaway did not release anything. Nothing new is available in stores of either of the 2 lines as of yet.

In the end, more equipment, means more choices, means lower prices and the list goes on.

You certainly took me too literally. You're in the golf business and have all the information and hard dates well before us. So this all makes sense to you because it's related to your line of work. I was speaking of consumer perception including mine, my friends and family. It just seems to have picked up pace and is happening even faster. This was in no way to be taken as a complaint. I'm actually quite excited as I stated earlier.

Never understood the anxiety that comes from companies releasing a ton of gear throughout the year. How is that bad?

Because some people buy equipment based on resale value. If more people were just concerned with playing better golf then product cycles would be meaningless. It's like complaining about a new iPhone every year or a new Galaxy phone, people just want to believe their product is the newest hotness for as long as possible. I used to be a hater, but JB is right, Callaway is just doing the same thing all other companies are doing now. The technology is progressing and its stupid to think that Callaway and others shouldn't release newer better clubs if they will help consumers.

Because some people buy equipment based on resale value.

I have heard this before. Can you think of any other product out there that people buy to use and have it not go down in value? This includes every consumer product. Cars, technology, furniture, tools, apparel, etc.

Back