Another new Cally driver? Discuss!

Wouldn't that be great if this site was able to get their hands on equipment for their members to test and provide feedback to the other members. I think Callaway might want to give a few of these to the THP faithful.

Wouldn't that be great if this site was able to get their hands on equipment for their members to test and provide feedback to the other members. I think Callaway might want to give a few of these to the THP faithful.

Its exactly what we do here buddy.
Make sure that both our staff writers and forum members have the opportunity to provide info on each piece of equipment that comes out.

Its exactly what we do here buddy.
Make sure that both our staff writers and forum members have the opportunity to provide info on each piece of equipment that comes out.

Unbiased feedback at that.

I don't think it is resale value. I think many, probably most people can't afford to buy a new, expensive driver often and don't want to spend $400 on one that will be obsoleted in a few months. I think the anxiety comes from the desire to get it right once because they can't do it again so soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well then more releases benefit them. Because I can guarantee you if there were less releases, they'd be $400 a lot longer. And might even be priced higher.

No need for idle hands in the R&D at Callaway, we amateurs probably can get the full potential out of their efforts, but we do get to enjoy the fruits of their labors. I have a bunch of drivers in my basement, the other day I was looking over them. Technology has come a long long way since I was using a Ping Eye persimmon Driver..... So I'm in the camp of keep turning them out, I control when I want to buy a new one. I've never been one for having to have the latest and greatest equipment.

To use your analogy, I think if you bought a new 2014 car today, and 3 months from now the manufacturer released 2014 version 2, before releasing the 2015 model, and all of a sudden your car was two models old for reslae or trade-in, i'm pretty sure you'd be somewhat miffed. So really what we're debating now is what should be considered the "norm"

A car is a much more expensive and complicated system and has to undergo a lot more testing.

Maybe a better example... consumer electronics, where TVs, point and shoot cameras, laptops, cell phones, etc all are turned over yearly.

The 'version 2' you refer to is kind of like the mid life kicker they often do with cars where rather than minor tweaks to a grille or backup light lens, they'll make some sheet metal or interior change.

How does a driver become obsolete? If one bought it, they obviously liked it, why would another release make them like it less? Does your TV become obsolete because of the next release? Your car? Your golf shoes? All items that when a new release comes, it is marketed as the best ever.

Asking the wrong person. I used my last set of clubs for 25 years. :). Nevertheless, if you only have one shot for a few years you'd want the latest and greatest AND the best for you. If you can't afford to make a mistake you have some anxiety that's all I meant and for some, buying a club that becomes the old version, or isn't the latest might make them feel sorry they pulled the trigger. That's my only point. Someone asked why people get anxious and that's it...don't want to spend their budget and regret it for whatever reason they think they may.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Why do company's release equipment so often? Because idiots like me read great reviews of their new technology and want it. Then we buy it either at first or later for a discounted price. The general golfing population isn't very smart (not only am I included, I'm the ringleader) and likes to have the latest and greatest. We've also been conditioned to think that new equipment will automatically help our game. Heck, I should know better but I still have that thought every now and again.

Off topic but to the point. T-mag made a facebook post regarding the Jetspeed driver and I think 15 of the first 50 comments I read said something along the lines of "Oh No! My SLDR is outdated already!" Well, these people obviously are unaware that the SLDR and the Jetspeed are intended for two different golfers and one does not make the other obsolete.

Funny that Phil is used by Callaway to talk up drivers given the fact Phil does not carry a driver anymore. Back when he did carry their driver he had a few crack on him. Another ringing endorsement. That said, I have a Razr X black that I really like...

Funny that Phil is used by Callaway to talk up drivers given the fact Phil does not carry a driver anymore. Back when he did carry their driver he had a few crack on him. Another ringing endorsement. That said, I have a Razr X black that I really like...

I will say that Phil does carry a driver. Takes it out from time to time and has done so in stretches, but he has played multiple this year.

The first event he used their driver in this year he won. Doesn't get any more ringing than that.

Tour professional golfers never win with less than current equipment :bulgy-eyes:

You could not be more wrong. Tiger did not switch to a Covert Driver until late this year, used the same 3-wood for more than three years, and is still playing the Tour One D ball more than two years after the 20XI came out. Many tour pros stick with clubs they are comfortable with no matter what their hat or bag may indicate.

This mornings drive with Phil...

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/tech-driven-leftys-game-improving-technology/

Was discussing next years drivers and slipped up and said that we will now be able to raise and lower the CG with it located more towards the face.

This cannot be the XHot2 driver.... soo.... yet another Cally driver being released!?

I hope so! As already stated, there are many things happening right now at Callaway and all of it is good. When the time is right, JB and the staff here as well as those from Callaway will let us know. 2014 should be very interesting.

You could not be more wrong. Tiger did not switch to a Covert Driver until late this year, used the same 3-wood for more than three years, and is still playing the Tour One D ball more than two years after the 20XI came out. Many tour pros stick with clubs they are comfortable with no matter what their hat or bag may indicate.

Yes I know. I am more than aware of the Covert driver and how much it helped Tiger win POY.

The " :bulgy-eyes: " is supposed to indicated a bit of sarcasm.

I will say that Phil does carry a driver. Takes it out from time to time and has done so in stretches, but he has played multiple this year.

No driver at the US Open. I also believe he did not carry one at the British either. The Frankenwood was a 3-wood set to 8 degrees and it was the "longest" club he carried at the US Open. In place of a driver he carried a 64 degree wedge in addition to four other wedges.

No driver at the US Open. I also believe he did not carry one at the British either. The Frankenwood was a 3-wood set to 8 degrees and it was the "longest" club he carried at the US Open. In place of a driver he carried a 64 degree wedge in addition to four other wedges.

Very true.
He did not have a driver in 2 other events. The other 19 or so he did have a driver. Played both the RFE and the OptiForce. Even tried Taylormade SLDR in play too.

true, and while I don't disagree with anything you said, think it's more of a general feeling with pretty much every manufacturer, save maybe Titlist at this point. what used to be yearly cycles, are now semi-annual or even trimesters now. Agreed, this has become the norm, so people should just get over it now, but i think alot still harkening back to the old days.

To use your analogy, I think if you bought a new 2014 car today, and 3 months from now the manufacturer released 2014 version 2, before releasing the 2015 model, and all of a sudden your car was two models old for reslae or trade-in, i'm pretty sure you'd be somewhat miffed. So really what we're debating now is what should be considered the "norm"

And as far as this club goes...if Callaway makes another wood with the Big Bertha moniker, I will buy sight unseen purely out of nostalgia.
Does anyone not understand that their new driver will become old within 3 to 6 months? It is such an odd reaction - people know companies do this. Do they change their own consumer habits? Nope, they complain because the manufacturers don't change their behavior...all the while continuing to behave (buy) the same way themselves. There is such an easy solution to this: wait a few months.

I also find the Titleist example very interesting. Let's turn that one on its head: what the hell is wrong with Titleist that their R&D and manufacturing processes are so slow that they expect us to play antiquated technology? Man Titleist sucks! That's obviously not a serious argument...just pointing out how our own biases color our perception of things.

Will I be curious about Cally's new driver? Of course! Will I expect that it will magically transform my tee gamed run out and buy one? No.

Very true.
He did not have a driver in 2 other events. The other 19 or so he did have a driver. Played both the RFE and the OptiForce. Even tried Taylormade SLDR in play too.

I remember he had a TM metal wood painted black to make it less obvious. The bag check report tells the real story. At a tour event I noticed a player with one company on his bag and a different company's clubs in his bag. This was more than 10 years ago before HD TV and bag check reports.

tequila4kapp;2585400 I also find the Titleist example very interesting. Let's turn that one on its head: what the hell is wrong with Titleist that their R&D and manufacturing processes are so slow that they expect us to play antiquated technology? Man Titleist sucks! That's obviously not a serious argument...just pointing out how our own biases color our perception of things. .[/QUOTE said:
I don't know if you read the Hot List? But Titleist drivers constantly earn 5 stars for innovation. Even in non release years.

I don't know if you read the Hot List? But Titleist drivers constantly earn 5 stars for innovation. Even in non release years.
I was being facetious.

The first event he used their driver in this year he won. Doesn't get any more ringing than that.

That must be why he opted out for the US and British Opens. The Wasted Management event is not much of a test with a wide open course and weak field.

If someone is buying their golf equipment in hopes they can get maximum trade in value. To be perfectly frank...They are a fool. One should ONLY buy golf equipment that works for them and helps them enjoy the game more.

Amen.... I have never bought a club thinking about how much I can resell it for. It's always about how that club can help lower my scores.

Back