Anyone else hate the range?

I made a thread almost 2 years ago that was titled - I hate the range.

I don't feel that way any more. I like it and have learned to use it for a purpose and to work on things I'm learning in my lessons.

I can spend every free moment I have at the range. Absolutely love just taking my time and plowing through bucket after bucket. I usually go at least twice a week and each day of the weekend. I probably spend 60% of my time on wedges

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I'd rather play. The range balls cost money at my course.

I am not a big range guy, I think it stems from my home course not having one. I would much rather go out and play then beat balls, I will work on my short game extensively though. I think that is where you can improve the most.

If I go to the range and just "pound" balls then my swing goes to crap in a hurry. I have to slow down and take my time on the range. I find that by approaching every shot on the range the same as I would on the course really helps my swing.

I don't do long practice sessions unless it's short irons. I might hit a 100 or so of those. I do have a routine I like before playing. Takes 20-30 minutes. I play much better when I do it.

Kevi

I usually end up irritated and pissed off after every range session. They never seem to go right and my swing goes to junk.

If you beat balls at the range then you are asking for issues. Focus and mix it up. I usually only hit about 5 shots with a club before changing. After I work thru a few clubs I take a break, either I hit some ~20 yards shots where I aim at a very specific target or I just stretch a litte. I formed this routine after attending a golf clinic and speaking to the pros swing coach that was hanging out by the range.

I see people at the range change their swings, grips, stance after every poor shot. Most poor shots are just poor execution by most decent golfers so changing things compounds the issues.

I have the exact opposite problem, good on the range and choke on the course. Consider yourself lucky!

I like hitting on the range, if it's grass. Problem is that my course has no range.

The range can be difficult if you dont have a clear target and treat every shot like its a real shot on the course. If you just go out there and blast ball with no target in mind, the range is pretty much a waste of time.
I dont exactly love the driving range, Id rathar spend my time practicing on the putting green.

I have 2 different types of practice when I'm on the range. One is contact, the other is target. When I'm working on contact, I don't care where the ball goes, I just care about hitting the ball solid. I don't burn through balls though, I take my time. Target practice is obviously more focused on where the ball goes.

I myself love the range. Spend hours a day there. A lot of wedges and whatever club I was struggling with the last time I went onto the course. Driver I rarely practice just because it's so easy to fall into hit-as-hard-as-I-can mode. Some days on the range, I stripe everything beautifully. Others, like today, I can't hit anything but 1/2 swings. Usually how I'm doing on the range also translates to how I would/do play on the course that day.

I have the exact opposite problem, good on the range and choke on the course. Consider yourself lucky!

Same here. I like the range because I can actually hit some nice shots, lol.

I got a pretty good chuckle at 'Divot the Clown'. Well done!

I'm pretty picky about the range. I like to hit it in the evening - just something relaxing about an evening range session. I view it as an opportunity to unwind a bit and try some different things. And, of course, I find it to be much more useful for me if it's a grass range.

But, yeah, I'd much rather be out on the course. I much prefer to go out on the course by myself and play two balls if it's relatively empty. And, even when I do go to the range (such as tonight), I find myself spending more time putting and chipping. I made it to the range in time enough this evening to hit one small bucket of balls before the pro shop closed (lasted me about 25 minutes I'd guess) but I ended up spending almost an hour putting and working around the practice green.

I like hitting on the range some, and probably don't really "practice" enough. But before we go golfing, I like to just hit 4 or 5 balls to get a feel for swinging, then head straight to the tee. Most of my real warm up time before going out is spent putting and chipping. That's where I need the most help...:D

I love the range. I don't get to play too many full rounds (typically once per week May-September), plus a couple of 8 -10 hole sessions each week. I've got a decent range just 5 mins drive from my house so I make use of that as much as I can.

It's the one place where I can hit shot after shot to try and work out the problems with the mechanics of my swing. If I'm struggling on the course and I can't work out where I'm going wrong, I'll get to the range and hit shot after shot with the same club, not having to worry where the ball's going initially, and I can then usually then spot the issue through repetition. I can't get that on the course because I'm worried about where I'm putting the ball and trying to to hit someone!! :beat-up:

I love the range. As someone who is working on my ball-striking, it is a blessing. Just last weekend I had the worst round of my adult life. Went to the range last night- Probably spent 30 mins on the short game, then moved over to the range and really took my time and concentrated on each swing. Walked away with the "I'm back!" feeling.

When you're already good then the range is a waste unless you are at the point where you just need repetition. I'm still in "discovery mode" where I have good and bad streaks but I'm not entirely sure which variable(s) is/are causing the results.

I also love the range. But I suspect it is because I always go there with a plan and finish the session with a game against myself.

I always pick 1 or 2 drills I am going to do with 40% of the balls each. Stuff like impact bag/Swingyde/9 to 3/rhythm drills/etc.

Then after I've hit 80% of the bucket, I play a game where I try to hit it within 10 feet of the 50/75/100/125 yard markers with 3 balls each, in order. Meaning I don't hit 3 balls at each yardage and then move to the next yardage. Instead I hit at each yardage once and move to the next, but do the rotation 3 times. Maximum score is a 12, theoretically but i give myself 2 points if I actually hit or bounce over the sign. Best I've done is a 7 this year. The 50 is hard!

I absolutely hate the range. I get bored after a couple of balls. If I have something I need to work on I can usually fix it without hitting a ball. Getting older though and I need to warm up more than I used to but no more than 10 balls and I'm good. I can never find a target on the range, there's no pressure and no reward to hitting successful shots for me.

I'd rather stand in a fairway, hit a ball to the green, try to make the putt, walk back and start over all day than bash balls till I can't move. Also hate the wear it puts on the clubs, but that's hardly a reason not to go to the range.

I used to go the range once a week. Now I haven't been to the range for 3 months. I got bored whacking balls after 5 years of playing golf. It's like show me something new at the range.

Also there is some annoying golf pro at my range. The guy likes to watch people whacking balls and then, gives unwanted advice. It's like Who the hell asked you??? Leave me alone. hahahah.

I don't like range sessions where I feel rushed or just can't get in to a rhythm. I never had a range at my course so I've never really been one to warm up before teeing off. This year I changed courses and included the range in the membership. Haven't used it yet but plan on doing so today, tomorrow, and Sunday. Would love to work on a routine before teeing off.

Sometimes I enjoy the range much better than playing. I grew up practicing my particular sport more than playing it. It is relaxation time for me.

Love the range. Used to go 3-4 times a week but since my son was born last year I'm lucky to make it once or twice a week.

I have found that what works for me is to just have one swing thought to work on and stick to it.

Lately it has been "make a proper weight transfer/shift to the left". Doesn't matter where the ball goes, just make that proper weight transfer. If I start worrying about the ball flight, that's just more swing thoughts to clutter up my brain.

I love to go to the range and practice. I bring some coffee and go through my routine. Then I stroll over to the grill and have some bacon & eggs, read the paper and play a round. I turn off the cell phone and relax.

I HEAR YOU LOAD AND CLEAR and I have officially restricted my range sessions to two things once the early season "get those golf muscles engaged again" sessions are over...

1.) Hit 10-20 balls before a round to warm up. I don't even worry about how I am hitting it to be honest, just trying to loosen up.
2.) If I am not making good contact, I will hit the range to run through a drill I use. (putting a tee ~ 6 inches in front of the ball attempting to hit it as I hit "through the ball").

Outside of this, all my practice time is pitching, chipping, bunker work and putting.

I figure, after so many years playing, my swing and thus ballflight IS-WHAT-IT-IS, I'm not making swing changes and unless my shots go to total shiite, I''m going to use my practice to try an gain strokes inside of 50yds.

Back