Anyone else hate the range?

I love the range. But more and more, I am simply just practicing the shorter shots... 100 yards and in.

I like the range, it's nice de-stressing from work time and take out some aggression. Also as someone who needs constant tune up on my driver, I need the ability to test things out to really get it down.

It's also nice to play the rounds in my head for courses I know well when it's too crappy or booked up to actually get out.

I love the range. I don't get to play too many full rounds (typically once per week May-September), plus a couple of 8 -10 hole sessions each week. I've got a decent range just 5 mins drive from my house so I make use of that as much as I can.

It's the one place where I can hit shot after shot to try and work out the problems with the mechanics of my swing. If I'm struggling on the course and I can't work out where I'm going wrong, I'll get to the range and hit shot after shot with the same club, not having to worry where the ball's going initially, and I can then usually then spot the issue through repetition. I can't get that on the course because I'm worried about where I'm putting the ball and trying to to hit someone!! :beat-up:

Of course that should have read, "trying NOT to hit someone"

I can't focus and just beat balls out on the range. Also, no motivation if there is no money or bragging rights on the line. I do think it is important to go if for nothing else than to keep the feeling of swinging a club in place.

Another interesting thing is that when I was on the range before my last round...16 GHIN, mind you...I couldn't even get a ball in the air or if I did, it was a shank. I shanked 6 shots in my warm up. I then went out and shot an 84, and was a foot from a hole-in-one on#2 and hit the stick and kicked it to 2.5 feet on #12.

I love the range, I actually look forward to it and would go every day if I could.

I don't particularly enjoy the range - I see my time spent there as a necessary step in developing a real golf swing, but it's not something I'd do for fun. The driving range near me doesn't have much of a short game practice area, and lacks targets closer than 80 yards, so it is really only useful for full swing shot practice. To work on my short game, there is a fun little pitch-and-putt course near me. 18 holes all between 40 and 100 yards, and they have a big practice green for chipping/putting. I'm planning to spend at least one session a week at both places this season, but I think I'll enjoy the pitch-and-putt course a lot more!

If I plan on going to the range, I make sure that I have someone else going with me. We set up mini competitions like first to 5 shots on the green, or first to 5 drives between signs, etc. We have a good range nearby that allows us to to do, whereas other ranges in the area are pretty useless...they are ball-beating ranges with no ability to tell what you are really doing.

Anyone try the Top Golf locations? They are good rainy/cold day options too.....

I love hitting golf balls and can't always afford to go on the course or have time so the range is perfect between rounds. The only thing I hate about the range is the mats. I can never really tell how good (or bad) I am hitting until I hit off grass. But many courses and ranges around me don't have grass or only have it open select times.

Today at the range an elderly couple came into my space and started hitting balls. REAL close to me and then accused me of driving my range balls very far just to piss them off. It was a Sienfeld moment.

I love the range. I hit a small bucket of balls at lunch as many as 6 days a week. I have take 5 clubs with me to the range and hit about 7 balls each. Sometimes we have driving range Thursdays at work where a number of us go and hit balls or watch the long hitters put on a show. This usually keeps up until June when it gets too hot to stand and hit balls in the sun and then have to go back to work.

I love the range, until im about 150+ balls in and my shoulders remind me that they have both been recon'd and hint thats its maybe time to stop haha

seriously tho, im a creature of habit so for me to dial in my swing i need to be continually hitting balls to get "the feel". I can hit anywhere between 500-600 balls a week depending on work and weather.... and sometimes it just doesnt seem enough.

I hit both sides - love and hate. I love it because its outside and I can actually hit balls. I hate it because almost all the ranges hereabout all use mats and as we all know mats suck big time.

the range can be bad for most golfers as it cant be translated to the course due to hitting multiple balls with the same club. say you hit 10 balls the first 2 you hit bad shots and then hit 8 straight good ones. on the course the first bad one would have only counted.

i started practicing at the range 1 club 1 target 1 shot then switch clubs and targets. you will get into the frame of mind to translate your practice to the course.

I dont mind the range. I feel it is hard to practice "real shots" there.

I hated it today i could put it right in the center of the fairway if it was the next one over to the right BIG "O" SLICE !!!! FOOOORRRE

I love the range. I like to have specific things to work on though. Don't like to just go out and randomly hit balls.

Only thing I hate about the range are the jackwagons that make it look like a mine field!

Personally I love the range, nice quiet me time. Since January I have gotten in the habit of before work range sessions and they have been very helpful. Instead of heading out to just beat balls, I get a medium bucket, take my sweet time, mix up clubs and just work on one thing. After having my first two lessons recently, the range is my facility that I try and achieve the new swings muscle memory. It also doesn't hurt that my local course has a great wide open grass range that is decent.

Remember, practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect! Mix it up and simulate a round, your game will thank you.

I like the range. I like to see how norrow of a grouping of shots I can hit. I go to work on solid contact and never just aimlessly hit. I really work on alignment and being sure that eyes "see" what Im aiming at and get used to thst feeling of being on line. I never change my target, which is usually the 150 marker. I can judge how close or how on line I am be seeing where it lands. I dont use the range much to see how far I am hitting it, range balls arent good for that, but I can get a general idea.

hate the range...yes
need to go to the range more...yes

would the range help me stop scoring so badly on the first few holes cause I would be warmed up...YES

I love the range! I need to go more though. Only go before my rounds. Need to commit more time.

hate the range...yes
need to go to the range more...yes

would the range help me stop scoring so badly on the first few holes cause I would be warmed up...YES

I do like htting a few balls before a round but hate "practicing" on the range... The local range has such crappy balls the only practice is in working on a consistent swing... After getting new irons last winter I went to the range several times and can't hit a 7 iron over 135 yards. So I'm swinging harder getting poorer results and ready to send the new irons back... So I finally get on the course and start flying balls 20 yards over every pin... Duh!!! a scuffed up broken down old Spalding isn't going to fly as well as whatever new quality ball I'm using...

I like goin to the range but the one here, the distance flags are not marked so i have to guess distances

unless I'm workign on irons, wedges, or putting I hate the range right about now

oh I also should try putting and chipping before a round...this year has a been a fire drill when I get there and my short game has suffered

Back