Are you a gun owner?

I'm currently not a gun owner. But I'm thinking of getting one. There is a pack of coyotes that lives in the woods behind the cornfield behind my house. Everyonce in a while I see them in my yard. I have 2 huge dogs, so when I let them out the coyotes take off. But I hear them howling. So, i may wind up getting one. I was certified to shoot in the navy, so I really considering it!

You realize if you shoot a coyote, the others will wait in ambush to exact revenge?

Kevin

That's okay, I will take them all out if I have to! I'm just kidding, I basically want one for the noise they make. I'm not much of a hunter, so I would rather just scare them off. Blanks would be a good idea!!!

Kimber Eclipse Pro II w/ crimson trace
Glock 19, 23
AR 15 w/.458 Socom upper....really fun to shoot!

my dad has a pimped out ar-15.. he lets me shoot.. ill post some pix later if i can get ahold of him

Had a Glock 19 and a Ruger MKIII that I got rid of once we became parents. I really enjoy pistol shooting and use rentals at the range a few times a year. Glad the Glock is gone really. Shooting that thing was very expensive. The Ruger on the other hand, that thing was a blast and I do miss it.

Had a Glock 19 and a Ruger MKIII that I got rid of once we became parents. I really enjoy pistol shooting and use rentals at the range a few times a year. Glad the Glock is gone really. Shooting that thing was very expensive. The Ruger on the other hand, that thing was a blast and I do miss it.

Not for the same reasons but I got rid of all mine too. And I miss em too.

Yes.

I've skimmed so don't shoot me if this has been brought up. OK?

For those who carry concealed and haven't checked out Fobus holsters, I highly suggest them. (and yes, sometimes, a .45)

Used to have some when I still lived in WI and hunted, but not anymore. Let mom sell them all off, since there isn't much hunting to be had in this part of FL. Miss my old Remington 7400 .30-06 with the Bausch & Lomb Scopechief 3x9. Many a whitetail was taken with that gun over the years. Also had a Winchester Super-X Model 1 Semi-Auto 12 gauge and a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge pump for duck and bird hunting.

Never really was much into pistols. Had a Ruger Single Six .22 revolver with the regular and .22 magnum cylinders for plinking and that was it. Did play around with a .25 semi-auto my uncle had a time or two, but never anything bigger. Quite a few friends at work have got into pistol shooting recently, so I've been thinking about maybe picking up a semi-auto of some kind but I know so little about pistols I wouldn't even know where to start. Shocking how pricey the little things are though!

Yes.

I've skimmed so don't shoot me if this has been brought up. OK?

For those who carry concealed and haven't checked out Fobus holsters, I highly suggest them. (and yes, sometimes, a .45)

This reminded me of a question I've had for a while now. There has been a big craze lately to obtain concealed carry permits. I don't have a problem with someone having one as long as they act responsibly and have a clue on how to handle a firearm, so this isn't a complaint. But why the big push for the permits, and what is required to obtain one?

Used to have some when I still lived in WI and hunted, but not anymore. Let mom sell them all off, since there isn't much hunting to be had in this part of FL. Miss my old Remington 7400 .30-06 with the Bausch & Lomb Scopechief 3x9. Many a whitetail was taken with that gun over the years. Also had a Winchester Super-X Model 1 Semi-Auto 12 gauge and a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge pump for duck and bird hunting.

Never really was much into pistols. Had a Ruger Single Six .22 revolver with the regular and .22 magnum cylinders for plinking and that was it. Did play around with a .25 semi-auto my uncle had a time or two, but never anything bigger. Quite a few friends at work have got into pistol shooting recently, so I've been thinking about maybe picking up a semi-auto of some kind but I know so little about pistols I wouldn't even know where to start. Shocking how pricey the little things are though!

If you want a great .22 semi-auto I highly suggest a Sig Sauer Mosquito. It really feels like a full size pistol without the high expense of ammo of a full size, and it handles a lot like a full size. It allows you to do more training than just plinking at targets. They're a little on the expensive side but are well worth it in my opinion.

This reminded me of a question I've had for a while now. There has been a big craze lately to obtain concealed carry permits. I don't have a problem with someone having one as long as they act responsibly and have a clue on how to handle a firearm, so this isn't a complaint. But why the big push for the permits, and what is required to obtain one?

I didn't want to multi-quote with this one as it is kind of a complicated question/answer (especially without getting too political). I'll answer the 2nd part of the question first.

What does it require to obtain one? It really depends on the state you live in. For example, in WA, if you qualify to buy a pistol (18, not a felon, not an abusive spouse, not a druggy or drug dealer, not crazy, and haven't been dishonorably discharged from the armed services [I may be missing something]) then it really only takes paying the fee and getting finger printed. Once they verify your history they send you a permit. Permits in WA do allow you to carry concealed except for in exempt areas such as court houses, police stations, federal buildings (pretty much anywhere where you are searched or pass through a metal detector) and also some areas that have requirements of age to get into (this mostly means bars/taverns). Florida shouldn't be too bad to obtain a permit (not really sure about that) since it is a more conservative state. Progressive states (even some cities), for the most part, try to make it impossible for you to buy a firearm, let alone obtain a concealed carry permit (NY, Chicago, DC, and such). Don't get me too wrong on the conservative/progressive thing when it comes to politics since there are conservative Dems and progressive Reps. but the chances are, if you're in a blue state (Dems) then it will be harder to obtain a permit than in a red state. Don't rely on federal elections to know if you're in a red or blue state, local/state elections will tell you more.

Other part of the question, why the big push for the permits? More and more Americans are realizing that our rights (God given/Constitutional) are being stomped on on a daily basis by both the Rs and Ds. Some people in power believe that a person that breaks into your house has more rights than you do even though you work your job, pay your taxes, own the house and are a productive member of society. The criminal is just "misguided" or "had a bad childhood" and the productive member of society is just taking advantage of the criminal if they defend themselves since you can always call 911 and you'll be just fine. (Sorry, getting a little political but these people in power are on both sides of the aisle, so not too political.) Some people in power believe that when you have a police force and a military than there isn't a need for the citizen to have arms since they are already protected (until only the military, police, and criminals are the only one's armed then the citizen will just become a subject ("power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" sorry don't remember who said that). In the USA we have a Constitutional right to keep and bear arms (anyone who wants to say that's only for the militia need to learn the English language). This right is there to defend our homes, our friends and families, anyone in our presence that is in danger, and one of the biggest arguments made when putting it in the Constitution to defend ourselves from the government itself when it gets out of hand (it's in the federalist papers, I'm pretty sure Thomas Jefferson). You see more and more in the US people sucking on the teet of government. Some rightfully just looking for a helping hand up, others just looking for a free ride (things are owed me, I want it now, life's not fair so why shouldn't I get mine) so more productive members are seeing it more and more and seeing a government all too willing to cater to these people knowing full well it just feeds into their power. That's just the way I see it, I'm not a crazy windbag but a very well educated/read productive citizen of the USA. I appreciate what the USA is supposed to be and am horrified in where it has been heading the past few decades. The USA is supposed to be the bastion of freedom in the world (not as Reagan said, "The last bastion of freedom"). I don't want to force my beliefs on others, don't believe that the USA should be forcing our beliefs on others, I just want to work (well, I'd rather not but it's a necessity and am thankful that I'm able to), play golf, enjoy my home, friends and family, cruise the internet, go hunting and fishing (provide for myself and others if the need is there), and shoot the hell out of cans and paper because it's fun.

Sorry if that was preachy, it's just a passion of mine. :smile: Oh, one benefit of having a concealed carry permit in WA is that you don't have to wait the 7 days when purchasing a pistol. They already have all of your records so the shop just has to make a phone call and once you pay you get to take your new toy home.

(I hope Texas lets me in if things get any worse)

If you want a great .22 semi-auto I highly suggest a Sig Sauer Mosquito. It really feels like a full size pistol without the high expense of ammo of a full size, and it handles a lot like a full size. It allows you to do more training than just plinking at targets. They're a little on the expensive side but are well worth it in my opinion.

Jam O Matic!!! Just kidding :D

IMO a Buckmark or Ruger MK is fantastic for learning how to handle pistols. They are big, heavy, and insanely reliable. Plus, you get a pistol that will last until you are long dead. As far as .22 pistols go, a Mosquito just offers the feel of a larger gun. If one can master a Ruger MK, especially cleaning one, it's not a great leap into a Glock, CZ, or whatever it is one may wish to buy.

Not trying to argue, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better .22 than a Buckmark or Ruger MK. Sure, if you are doing tactical shooting drills a Mosquito would be better for reduced ammo cost.

Jam O Matic!!! Just kidding :D

IMO a Buckmark or Ruger MK is fantastic for learning how to handle pistols. They are big, heavy, and insanely reliable. Plus, you get a pistol that will last until you are long dead. As far as .22 pistols go, a Mosquito just offers the feel of a larger gun. If one can master a Ruger MK, especially cleaning one, it's not a great leap into a Glock, CZ, or whatever it is one may wish to buy.

Not trying to argue, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better .22 than a Buckmark or Ruger MK. Sure, if you are doing tactical shooting drills a Mosquito would be better for reduced ammo cost.

No doubt the Buckmark's and Ruger's are great pistols. Nice for making very accurate shots and small game.

Mosquitos jam less when people read the instructions. :D :D :D

No doubt the Buckmark's and Ruger's are great pistols. Nice for making very accurate shots and small game.

Mosquitos jam less when people read the instructions. :D :D :D

Agreed! Mosquitos definitely have a specific diet.

Agreed! Mosquitos definitely have a specific diet.

I don't know about specific diet. Some ammo works better than others, but people who say only the CCI Mini-mag works aren't correct. It likes better quality ammo (big name ammo like CCI, Remington, Winchester, Federal etc.) but doesn't like the cheap stuff. It also comes with 2 springs now to better match up with ammo types used (be it standard or high velocity).
:drinks:

The mosquito is nice, I've looked at it a few times as a way to trim my shooting budget. Honestly I would just as soon purchase a redbox Sig and put a drop in kit in it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

My Dad was a part time gun dealer growing up so I've been shooting my whole life. I rarely hunt anymore but often make it to the range in the cold months.

-CZ SP-01, 9mm with aluminum grips, fiber optic sight, modded slide springs and hammer springs. It is basically an IPSCA gun and a hella good one.
-CZ P-06, .40 S&W, home defense gun
-multiple rifles and shotguns that sit in the closet unused now that I never get to hunt

-About to buy a Mossberg home defense shotgun. IMO there isn't anything better than a shotgun for home defense.

That's a big reason I actually got rid of my handgun. I realized that I owned it just because I thought it was cool when I bought the darned thing. It's not good for anything really, I don't have the time to target shoot (I'd rather be playing golf). Home defense? I kept it locked tightly away in a gun safe in my basement, what good is it then? Realistically, how rational was it for me to think that I needed a gun for home defense in the first place? I don't live in a sketchy area, I don't owe a bookie any money, I'm not cooking meth in my bath tub. I'm just a white guy in suburbia living the dream.

We have had a big wave of gun violence in Omaha for the last couple years. I got rid of my handgun because I didn't want someone to break into my house when I wasn't there and use it (not very rational either).

Long and short of it was that I didn't have much use for my handgun so I sold it.

I'm keeping my rifle and shotgun though. I do use those for hunting.

^ I can appreciate someone who thinks like that. Guns don't belong tucked away in a safe where they can't be readily accessible when the time comes. Just like golf clubs don't deserve to sit in a bag collecting dust.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I just got my first gun last year. Springfield XD-40. So far I love it. Looking into getting some sort of rifle now, maybe an M4 or something. I got to shoot my friend's p-90 at the range once and I loved it but I can't justify spending $1500 on a gun.

I have to collector guns. First one is a British .303 from WWII era and the second is Colt 1911 series IV .38 super auto government model. I love my Colt but finding bullets is tough so I have one of my Army buddies load posi rounds for me. Which is really bad for the person that decides to break in

My grandfather left me a gun that I have never seen as my uncle(who is a cop) wont let me have it....

However, I will soon be going out to buy a shotgun for home protection anyway...anyone have any good suggestions? I was thinking something with a shorter barrel of course for navigating around corners...12gauge preferably...

Yep...got a few.
Shotguns - both 12 and 20 over/unders
Marlin 22 cal
Very old 22 cal pump inherited from Grandad
SKS assault rifle 7.62 cal
Old S&W 38 cal revolver inherited from Grandad

And my baby... Glock 22 in .40 cal

Back